Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2015 · 297 posts · 87 votes
Hello! I am going to be closing on a rental at the end of the month and am considering making a few upgrades. The house is in fairly good condition and could be rented with the kitchen and bathrooms in their current condition. However, I really dislike the kitchen & bathroom countertop. I have never changed out countertops without doing a full remodel and am unsure if it is worth the time and cost. There is a very small amount of counter space so I don't believe it would be that expensive however I am also unsure if it would warrant an increase in the rent.
Here are some pics, I would love opinions on whether to change the countertops and if so suggestions on material. I am also considering adding hardware to the cabinets.
Investor · Statham, GA · Member since 2010 · 75 posts · 26 votes
10y
I don't think you're going to get more rent with that one change. I wouldn't bother unless you have good prospective tenants saying "if only the countertops were different".
You can't make it how you would like it or you'll go broke. I don't know about you but MY house isn't even exactly like I like it much less my rentals.
Wholesaler · Batavia, IL · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 7 votes
10y
Painting countertops is a good way to recondition for not much money. There's kits you can purchase and follow the dvd tutorial they include in the kit. Be sure to remove the sinks before painting for best look.
Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2015 · 297 posts · 87 votes
10y
@Jason StoopsI have never heard of painting countertops, I will look into it.
@Account Closed That price sounds great. What type of material is that? Would you recommend having lowes do the actual installation or hiring an outside contractor?
Investor · Statham, GA · Member since 2010 · 75 posts · 26 votes
10y
I don't think you're going to get more rent with that one change. I wouldn't bother unless you have good prospective tenants saying "if only the countertops were different".
You can't make it how you would like it or you'll go broke. I don't know about you but MY house isn't even exactly like I like it much less my rentals.
Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2015 · 297 posts · 87 votes
10y
@Account Closedthanks for the tips! I did also think about doing a simple backsplash. $25 a month would be worth it since the cost will be low. Also, if it could potential draw in a better tenant that would be worthwhile. My investments are actually in my hometown in Ohio, not where I currently live. I think I could actually do the backsplash myself but would want to hire someone for the counters.
Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y
I would paint the cabinets and get that cheap marble looking Formica and put it on top. You don't have that much counter surface. What part of Ohio? If it is in a "C" class neighborhood, that would do. If it is in a "B" class neighborhood, a whole different strategy.
Investor · Lake Worth, FL · Member since 2014 · 378 posts · 184 votes
10y
Home Depot sells just the vanity tops for the bathroom at a reasonable price also and they have nice formica tops for the kitchen counters pre-made and you can save some money by taking the old one off and just have it installed. Easily done in one day.
Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 345 posts · 138 votes
10y
Great post!
I am in a similar situation. Not sure what to do because they would rent fine as is. But I could get a better quality tenant with a updated look. C neighborhood I would say. Just an older home that needs some updating. My kitchen is very basic like yours and not big at all. Probably a 10 ft slab would work.
I really like the advice so far on here, cheaper ways to really make that bang a little bigger for your buck. I think adding new cabinet doors/hardware and refinishing them might really bring them back to life for cheap. The counters could be a cheap upgrade with some nice backsplash that could make this rental rate really jump, maybe 50 bucks higher if other rentals attract that. Keep us posted on before and afters or what you decided to buy!
Lowell, MA · Member since 2014 · 260 posts · 99 votes
10y
The kitchens in one of my buildings are very similar in size. Anything you do is going to cost money. I've tried painting countertops with very little success. If you have to pay someone else to install the countertops in my opinion you're better off going with a hard surface material like granite. For such a small area I think it's worth using granite, it may cost you $1000 to do versus $500 for laminate, it's short money for something that's going to hold up better over time.
Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2015 · 297 posts · 87 votes
10y
@Michael SwanIt is a B neighborhood in northeast Ohio, a suburb of Cleveland. Blue collar, families, mostly owner occupied, I would feel safe walking there at night. My worry with painting the cabinets is the upkeep.
Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2015 · 297 posts · 87 votes
10y
@Max T.I found some pretty decent hardware on amazon, 30 pieces for $30 so I can have enough to match it in the laundry room and bathrooms (all rooms have matching cabinets.) The stove works so I will be adding black appliances.
Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2015 · 297 posts · 87 votes
10y
@Cody BarrettI will keep you posted! I just mentioned buying hardware on Amazon (I've also gotten some on ebay), I have bought cabinet hardware here before and have gotten some pretty decent quality pieces for about $1 each. Much better than what I have found at Lowes/Home Depot for similar quality. This will be my first time having to drill the holes but I imagine with a little patience it won't be a problem.
Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2015 · 297 posts · 87 votes
10y
@Robert NasonI was wondering about using granite being that it's a small area. I wasn't sure how well it will hold up though compared to formica or quartz. Wouldn't granite have more maintenance?
Lowell, MA · Member since 2014 · 260 posts · 99 votes
10y
It does require some maintenance. But maintenance beats replacing every five years. If you stick with a darker color you need not seal it as often. The challenge may be with a small area like that is finding A company that will do a job that small. I have two or three units done at a time when I'm doing it. I would recommend going to the small independent local granite contractor as opposed to Lowes or Home Depot as they do have minimum on the square feet of granite that you would be required to buy.
Investor · Marina Del Rey, CA · Member since 2015 · 297 posts · 87 votes
10y
@Michael Swan- this one is in Willoughby, I have other sfh throughout Lake County. Originally, I am from Willowick. Nice to meet another NE Ohio investor living on the West coast! How did you find yourself investing in Ohio?
@Cody BarrettI will keep you posted! I just mentioned buying hardware on Amazon (I've also gotten some on ebay), I have bought cabinet hardware here before and have gotten some pretty decent quality pieces for about $1 each. Much better than what I have found at Lowes/Home Depot for similar quality. This will be my first time having to drill the holes but I imagine with a little patience it won't be a problem.
Great idea! My brother was using Amazon for certain things like faucets, fixtures, and hardware pieces! I bet there are some great discounts and prices on there, thanks so much! Gotta find those deals lol love knowing I got away with one ; )
Investor · Burlington, VT · Member since 2016 · 110 posts · 59 votes
10y
i have painted the countertops at my house with a kit i got off amazon , they came out great ! its been about 5 years now , and they could use some touch up ( wife cuts directly on them ) this is the brand i used .
Real Estate Investor · Desoto, TX · Member since 2013 · 560 posts · 528 votes
10y
Unless you are dealing with a very high end rental that requires granite and such, you could get the counter tops resurfaced with new hardware (assuming the current counter tops are functioning). It can really upgrade the appearance and the pricing is extremely reasonable. An entire house worth of counter space can be done in a day. I have done this in a couple of rental rehabs and it has made the kitchen and bathrooms pop and helped support increased rent.