Vendor · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
Going with carpeting saves a ton of money, even if its just limited to the bedrooms, instead of tiling or Wood flooring. How much do you get out of your floor covering selections in terms of resale and customer appreciation?
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
10y
My tenants dont really seem to care what type of flooring it is. For every person that loves carpet there is another that hates carpet. That being said my flooring choice is dictated by the market. If it is an area that carpet is acceptable, then I use carpet...if it is an area where hard wood floors are demanded, then I use hardwood floors.
Real Estate Broker · Bloomfield Hills, MI · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
10y
On my flips I almost exclusively rip out carpet if it's there, and refinish the hardwood floors. If there is no carpet and hardwood exists, even better. You'd be surprised at how much a skilled and experienced floor refinisher can do.
In terms of price, I am charged as follows:
1.) New 2 1/4 inch select and better red oak: $2.75 per sq ft
2.) Installation: $0.80 per sq foot
3.) Refinish - or finish on new wood - including the oil based poly (3 coats) : $1.00 a sq ft.
So do the math:
Refinish existing hardwood: $1.00 per sq foot
Install and finish:
$4.55
Therefore, if the wood is there, its a no brainer to refinish. Refinished hardwood pops, sparkles and shines... very few prospective buyers have a problem with that. If there isn't already hardwood present, its a cost/benefit analysis. If the home is on the smaller side ( <1500 sq ft) AND doesn't have hardwood, than in my experience, its probably worth it to spend the extra cash and go the hardwood route over carpet as new hardwood floors are a hot commodity and will gain you extra resale value as well as a quicker sale.
Investor · Clatskanie, OR · Member since 2014 · 212 posts · 233 votes
10y
This subject is a never ending debate. No right answer. we used to use laminate. Now we have a handyman that is amazing at laying carpet, so now that is what we go with. 2K total carpets a small house and I use my time that I used to spend on laminate, on other tasks.
Real Estate Agent · Cedar Creek, TX · Member since 2010 · 161 posts · 63 votes
10y
My rule of thumb is carpet in the bedrooms and hard surface everywhere else. From what I've seen of homes in Fl tile throughout seems to be very common. Look at what is for sale in your target market and see what they have. You can look on zillow to get an idea.
Personally, I believe that if you've ever removed a carpet and seen what's under there you would never install it again. I have laminate throughout my house for exactly that reason.