What would you do to this house specifically?

Most Popular Reply

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
9y
Originally posted by @Patrick Philip:
Originally posted by @J Scott:

What would it cost to fix it up, and what would the resale price be at that level of renovation?

Run these numbers for different levels of renovation, and that will tell you which one (if any) you should pursue.

 I've never rehabbed a house before so I don't know what different levels of renovation are. I'm asking what you would do, like...

Update the cabinets? What would you do to the exterior?

If you updated the cabinets, how much could you sell the house for and how much profit could you make?

If you did the exterior, how much could you sell the house for and how much profit could you make?

If you blah blah blah...

These are the scenarios you have to run, and then determine which, if any, are the most profitable.

If you don't know how to do that, that's what you have to learn.  If the business were as simple as someone on an Internet forum telling you, "Do this, don't do that, get rich," would you believe them?  You shouldn't.  It's not that easy.  In fact, it's not easy at all.

You have to learn first, and then do the work.

For reference, BP has a great book on the topic...

See this reply in the discussion

60 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    9y

    What would it cost to fix it up, and what would the resale price be at that level of renovation?

    Run these numbers for different levels of renovation, and that will tell you which one (if any) you should pursue.

  • FL · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 107 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @J Scott:

    What would it cost to fix it up, and what would the resale price be at that level of renovation?

    Run these numbers for different levels of renovation, and that will tell you which one (if any) you should pursue.

     I've never rehabbed a house before so I don't know what different levels of renovation are. I'm asking what you would do, like...

    Update the cabinets? What would you do to the exterior?

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    If you pay more than land value - you paid too much. I'd want to offer LESS than land value.

    As-is, that building is a blight on the 15 Acres.

    If you have to ask how you can turn a sow's ear into a silk purse, are you ready to be out of pocket $80k before you even start trying? I wouldn't recommend this one for novice Flippers. My 2c...

  • Developer · Kansas City, KS · Member since 2015 · 84 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    Kitchen and bathrooms sell a house, furnace looks old, windows? siding? how's location, school district? do you have 3 or more comps to justify arv?

  • Investor · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2015 · 409 posts · 214 votes
    9y

    what are comps-.15 acres right?

    have you done a inspection on the home? what type of mold issues are there? foundation type?

    if it where me I would do a thorough inspection before even thinking of purchase

    80k sounds a little on the highside

    offer 35k

    Good luck!

  • FL · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 107 votes
    9y

    what about this one?

    http://cheaphomedeals.net/show_listing_details.php?prop_id=35371

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Patrick Philip:
    Originally posted by @J Scott:

    What would it cost to fix it up, and what would the resale price be at that level of renovation?

    Run these numbers for different levels of renovation, and that will tell you which one (if any) you should pursue.

     I've never rehabbed a house before so I don't know what different levels of renovation are. I'm asking what you would do, like...

    Update the cabinets? What would you do to the exterior?

    If you updated the cabinets, how much could you sell the house for and how much profit could you make?

    If you did the exterior, how much could you sell the house for and how much profit could you make?

    If you blah blah blah...

    These are the scenarios you have to run, and then determine which, if any, are the most profitable.

    If you don't know how to do that, that's what you have to learn.  If the business were as simple as someone on an Internet forum telling you, "Do this, don't do that, get rich," would you believe them?  You shouldn't.  It's not that easy.  In fact, it's not easy at all.

    You have to learn first, and then do the work.

    For reference, BP has a great book on the topic...

  • Real Estate Investor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2017 · 107 posts · 51 votes
    9y

    Hello @Patrick Philip first id advise you to start with a flip that isn't so "intense" i guess you could say. This is one for someone a little more experienced. The price is wayyy tok high for the amount of work that it needs. You'd probably be lucky to break even after all of the repairs. But, to answer your question. Its a total gut job. You dont know whats behind those hideous walls, new kitchen, baths, flooring throughout, trim, light fixtures, doors, electrical, plumbing, siding/paint, furnace, water heater, landscaping, plus holding costs, interest, insurance and the list goes on. I think you'll be in for more than 25k. These are just some things that i see from the pics (not including the dreadful "unforseen"). You'd need to get an inspection. But all in all I dont think its worth it

    Good luck

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Montgomery, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I love the basic description and $20-25,000 repair value estimate. I did an 800 SF home for $25,000 and it didn't need what this one does. I would immediately be thinking $35-40,000 minimum and then would need to see the house before I bumped up or down. 

    Are you planning to flip or rent? Do comps have open floor plans, nice cabinets and granite, or basic carpet, laminate counters and cheap finishes? Your kitchen could cost $4000-5000 or $10-12,000 depending on the finishes and what is expected.

    The first one is tough to nail down, but I would be Leary on trusting a website describing what the renovations will cost, as that person will throw out the smallest number to gain interest.

  • FL · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 107 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Brian Pulaski:

    I love the basic description and $20-25,000 repair value estimate. I did an 800 SF home for $25,000 and it didn't need what this one does. I would immediately be thinking $35-40,000 minimum and then would need to see the house before I bumped up or down. 

    Are you planning to flip or rent? Do comps have open floor plans, nice cabinets and granite, or basic carpet, laminate counters and cheap finishes? Your kitchen could cost $4000-5000 or $10-12,000 depending on the finishes and what is expected.

    The first one is tough to nail down, but I would be Leary on trusting a website describing what the renovations will cost, as that person will throw out the smallest number to gain interest.

     I plan to flip it. Do I need to bring contractors with me to evaluate repair cost?

  • FL · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 107 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @J Scott:
    Originally posted by @Patrick Philip:
    Originally posted by @J Scott:

    What would it cost to fix it up, and what would the resale price be at that level of renovation?

    Run these numbers for different levels of renovation, and that will tell you which one (if any) you should pursue.

     I've never rehabbed a house before so I don't know what different levels of renovation are. I'm asking what you would do, like...

    Update the cabinets? What would you do to the exterior?

    If you updated the cabinets, how much could you sell the house for and how much profit could you make?

    If you did the exterior, how much could you sell the house for and how much profit could you make?

    If you blah blah blah...

    These are the scenarios you have to run, and then determine which, if any, are the most profitable.

    If you don't know how to do that, that's what you have to learn.  If the business were as simple as someone on an Internet forum telling you, "Do this, don't do that, get rich," would you believe them?  You shouldn't.  It's not that easy.  In fact, it's not easy at all.

    You have to learn first, and then do the work.

    For reference, BP has a great book on the topic...

     What's the book?

    I don't know how to run comps so specifically. When I look at Zillow, I just use price per square foot. I don't even think I know how to tell the condition the house was in when it was sold.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Patrick Philip:

     What's the book?

    I don't know how to run comps so specifically. When I look at Zillow, I just use price per square foot. I don't even think I know how to tell the condition the house was in when it was sold.

    I would suggest that instead of trying to jump into a project, you spend a few weeks/months learning first.  Read through the forums here, and ask some questions.

    Here's the BP book:

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

  • Johnson City, TN · Member since 2014 · 586 posts · 705 votes
    9y

    Looks like a gut to the studs to me. I wouldn't dream of giving over 50k for this house and I would have to want it bad for that to happen!

  • Property Manager · Bowie, MD · Member since 2017 · 120 posts · 67 votes
    9y

    I would bring a contractor with you and really question him if he says that he could do all the work for $25k, and get it in writing. What does a $125,000 comp look like?

  • Shawn AckermanPro Member
    Real Estate Entrepreneur · Mid West, East Coast · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Patrick Philip I'd first check the comparable to ensure the ARV is solid. The spread is slip and if you need to lower the purchase price for the new owner by 7-10K that will hurt ALOT! What you should do to the property is determined by what other sold homes had done to them. When the market speaks, we have to listen.

  • FL · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 107 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Shawn Ackerman:

    @Patrick Philip I'd first check the comparable to ensure the ARV is solid. The spread is slip and if you need to lower the purchase price for the new owner by 7-10K that will hurt ALOT! What you should do to the property is determined by what other sold homes had done to them. When the market speaks, we have to listen.

     Isn't there some standard of what I should be doing to my rehabs? A certain type of cabinet? Certain types of appliances? A standard color of paint for the interior? Standard flooring?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Montgomery, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Patrick Philip:
    Originally posted by @Shawn Ackerman:

    @Patrick Philip I'd first check the comparable to ensure the ARV is solid. The spread is slip and if you need to lower the purchase price for the new owner by 7-10K that will hurt ALOT! What you should do to the property is determined by what other sold homes had done to them. When the market speaks, we have to listen.

     Isn't there some standard of what I should be doing to my rehabs? A certain type of cabinet? Certain types of appliances? A standard color of paint for the interior? Standard flooring?

    Some people do this to streamline their flips, but I have done houses from $145,000 to $300,000 ARV and wouldn't put the same cabinets and appliances in both. I use the same basic colors and schemes but usually end up with nicer finishes in a higher end house.

  • FL · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 107 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Brian Pulaski:
    Originally posted by @Patrick Philip:
    Originally posted by @Shawn Ackerman:

    @Patrick Philip I'd first check the comparable to ensure the ARV is solid. The spread is slip and if you need to lower the purchase price for the new owner by 7-10K that will hurt ALOT! What you should do to the property is determined by what other sold homes had done to them. When the market speaks, we have to listen.

     Isn't there some standard of what I should be doing to my rehabs? A certain type of cabinet? Certain types of appliances? A standard color of paint for the interior? Standard flooring?

    Some people do this to streamline their flips, but I have done houses from $145,000 to $300,000 ARV and wouldn't put the same cabinets and appliances in both. I use the same basic colors and schemes but usually end up with nicer finishes in a higher end house.

     What colors do you use?

  • FL · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 107 votes
    9y

    So apparently... None of the deals from wholesalers are good. That leaves Craigslist? And the MLS would be saturated? Where am I to find my deals?

  • FL · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 107 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @J Scott:
    Originally posted by @Patrick Philip:
    Originally posted by @J Scott:

    What would it cost to fix it up, and what would the resale price be at that level of renovation?

    Run these numbers for different levels of renovation, and that will tell you which one (if any) you should pursue.

     I've never rehabbed a house before so I don't know what different levels of renovation are. I'm asking what you would do, like...

    Update the cabinets? What would you do to the exterior?

    If you updated the cabinets, how much could you sell the house for and how much profit could you make?

    If you did the exterior, how much could you sell the house for and how much profit could you make?

    If you blah blah blah...

    These are the scenarios you have to run, and then determine which, if any, are the most profitable.

    If you don't know how to do that, that's what you have to learn.  If the business were as simple as someone on an Internet forum telling you, "Do this, don't do that, get rich," would you believe them?  You shouldn't.  It's not that easy.  In fact, it's not easy at all.

    You have to learn first, and then do the work.

    For reference, BP has a great book on the topic...

     What's the hardest part? For me it seems like finding deals where the numbers work. If the listings from wholesalers don't work out, I think Craigslist is my best option.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    9y

    The hardest part?  It depends.  But, most people find some or all these parts difficult:

    - Finding deals

    - Finding money

    - Evaluating deals

    - Negotiating deals

    - Due diligence on deals

    - Creating a Scope of Work

    - Creating a budget

    - Creating a schedule

    - Finding contractors

    - Negotiating contracts with contractors

    - Managing the rehab

    - Preparing the property for sale

    - Marketing the property

    - Negotiating a sale

    - Getting to the closing table

    Whichever of those you aren't good at will be the hardest parts...

  • FL · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 107 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Candace Postell:

    Hello @Patrick Philip first id advise you to start with a flip that isn't so "intense" i guess you could say. This is one for someone a little more experienced. The price is wayyy tok high for the amount of work that it needs. You'd probably be lucky to break even after all of the repairs. But, to answer your question. Its a total gut job. You dont know whats behind those hideous walls, new kitchen, baths, flooring throughout, trim, light fixtures, doors, electrical, plumbing, siding/paint, furnace, water heater, landscaping, plus holding costs, interest, insurance and the list goes on. I think you'll be in for more than 25k. These are just some things that i see from the pics (not including the dreadful "unforseen"). You'd need to get an inspection. But all in all I dont think its worth it

    Good luck

     Where do you suggest finding light rehabs? Craigslist seems to be my best bet at this point.

  • FL · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 107 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @J Scott:

    The hardest part?  It depends.  But, most people find some or all these parts difficult:

    - Finding deals

    - Finding money

    - Evaluating deals

    - Negotiating deals

    - Due diligence on deals

    - Creating a Scope of Work

    - Creating a budget

    - Creating a schedule

    - Finding contractors

    - Negotiating contracts with contractors

    - Managing the rehab

    - Preparing the property for sale

    - Marketing the property

    - Negotiating a sale

    - Getting to the closing table

    Whichever of those you aren't good at will be the hardest parts...

     Do you think Craigslist is my best bet for finding deals? Where do you find most of yours?

  • Highland, NY · Member since 2013 · 169 posts · 130 votes
    9y
    You definitely need to step back and educate yourself first. Good news is you are at the right place. Read through threads, read books, listen to the podcasts. You don't sound like you are ready to start a project just yet.
  • FL · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 107 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Frank Gucciardo:

    You definitely need to step back and educate yourself first. Good news is you are at the right place. Read through threads, read books, listen to the podcasts. You don't sound like you are ready to start a project just yet.

     So where do you think is the best place to find deals? Craigslist? Where do you find yours? Do you do rehabs? I've been educating myself for years.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.