BP Nation I need your HELP!

BP Nation I need your HELP!

Tony WooldridgePro Member
Rental Property Investor · Walla Walla, WA · Member since 2016 · 480 posts · 346 votes

Hello BP nation. I need a little help. I live in a smaller community (approx: 45,000 pop) in S.E. Washington, Walla Walla Washington to be exact. It is a GR8 community and has been coming into its own in the Winery community that has contributed to its interest/investment opportunity.

I am fairly new to the REI world but I have been extremely active since making the decision to start my REI business. I have been educating myself for quite awhile. I have got my LLC, RE Attorney, CPA, RE agent(s), the usual team. My wife and I have decided to build a house flipping business. I dove head first and started a DMM campaign (I haven't been able to locate a wholesaler in my area as of yet/so I must learn and become a deal flow expert as well!) and have made offers but no takers yet. I spend a great deal of time building my new business.

My farming community currently doesn't have a REIA or meeting place for RE investors. My goal this year is to get one successfully off the ground. Here is where I need your help BP nation. I obviously don't have my first deal yet (not lack of trying) but am constantly working towards making that happen. I know how valuable it is to have a REIA and I am quite confident that other investors would feel the same way. But would you come to a REIA started by a guy that doesn't even have his first deal yet?

I want nothing from the other investors who would attend other than an opportunity for all of us to gather and network together and share in what we all love REI. I don't want to sell anything to anybody or have anyone for that matter to take advantage of the investors that attend. I just want a place we can network. However, I have visited with community folks, RE agents, RE attorneys, CPA's, Mortgage folks, Title Company Managers, to see if they would be interested in educating the group on their areas of expertise (once again NO sells stuff just educating us on a topic in their field and how if would help us as investors). All of these folks I mentioned above stated they would be interested in educating us on a topic that I/We decide we want to learn about.

So once again, is this something I should pursue as a newbie without a deal what do I have to offer anybody? I know what I have to offer but do others see the value in bringing groups of people together for the greater good of the group? Thanks ahead of time BP nation and here is to wishing each and everyone of you success in your 2017 REI ventures! Thanks for allowing me to share.

2Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
9y

@Tony Wooldridge  in the for whatever its worth file.

I would skip past this.. and get your RE license and get with a brokerage there in town..

suspect 95% of the deals done their are done by agents..

its too small of an area.

this will give you better foundation better networking etc etc.. does not cost but 500 to 700 to get your license and study for 60 days and boom your in the club.

REIA's are long game a very long game.. full of folks that are simply curious.. and of course there are some that are successful.. but I bet in Walla Walla most the guys that do anything of significance are not going to go to meet ups.

At least that's how I see it in small towns like were your located.

If you want to see how they work I suspect there is one up in Spokane you could go up spend the night that kind of thing to get the feel for it.

See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Tony WooldridgePro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Walla Walla, WA · Member since 2016 · 480 posts · 346 votes
    9y

    @Brandon McLean you bring up a really good point it all is predicated on getting that 1st deal!  GR8 point.  Because I am in a smaller community it would stand to reason that through networking we would eventually be able to share with one another what is working and what is not with one another and this in it of itself may help in landing that 1st deal and of course more to follow after that.  As I stated in my original post I am doing everything in my power trying to land that 1st deal, staying extremely active to get that under my belt.  

    Another thing that I see that is beneficial to starting a meet up is it will give me accountability and motivation to stay the course and will also help other do the same. Thanks for stopping by and sharing Brandon. Here is to wishing you well and a GR8 year in REI for 2017.

  • Tony WooldridgePro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Walla Walla, WA · Member since 2016 · 480 posts · 346 votes
    9y

    @Kizzyann Bonitto, it certainly is all about the DEALS! Finding the 1st deal and follow on deals is and always will be my 1st priority as it relates to REI, everything else is secondary. The meet up will be an added bonus for me as well as all that take part. Thanks for sharing and good luck getting on posting that picture.

  • Tony WooldridgePro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Walla Walla, WA · Member since 2016 · 480 posts · 346 votes
    9y

    @Brian Garrett, thanks, I most certainly will keep everyone posted.  

  • Tony WooldridgePro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Walla Walla, WA · Member since 2016 · 480 posts · 346 votes
    9y

    @Albert Bui I would be interested in touching base with you and discussing this further if you would be interested in PM.  You can never be to careful in this arena as it applies to Distressed Home Owner laws.  Here is a pretty interesting link that I cannot take credit for as I saw and saved it from a fellow BP colleague in a older different post: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/dealing-distressed-.... Feel free to distribute as you see fit.

    Thanks to @Ryland Taniguchi.

    Thanks again for stopping by and sharing hope to hear from.  Here is to wishing you luck in your investing ventures.

  • Tony WooldridgePro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Walla Walla, WA · Member since 2016 · 480 posts · 346 votes
    9y

    @Kevin Romines I cannot tell you how encouraging it is to have all of my fellow BP colleagues continuously encouraging me and strive to reach the proverbial summit (what every that looks like, the picture becomes ever clearer with every move) Thanks for  the dreams comment. And I never have and am not about to start now to let ANYONE tell me NO.  Thanks again Kevin.  Here is to wishing you a GR8 year!

  • Tony WooldridgePro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Walla Walla, WA · Member since 2016 · 480 posts · 346 votes
    9y

    @Steve Vaughan, thanks for stopping by to share. You bring up a really good point, you have to start some where right? Why not me!? It all starts with taking that first step and were it goes from there only time will tell. Thanks so much Steve for the words of encouragement. If you are ever make it down on this side you should look us up we would love to have ya. Thanks again. Here is to wishing you well and a successful year in REI!

  • Tony WooldridgePro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Walla Walla, WA · Member since 2016 · 480 posts · 346 votes
    9y

    @Barbara McArthur, I love CHOCOLATE CHIP cookies!  Might be a long flight but we would love to have you and you are more than welcome anytime especially if you are bringing snacks!  Thanks for stopping by.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    In your situation, small market, bringing people together for the greater good, is a good idea if your goal is to increase competition in your market and drive up your cost of doing business.

    I would advise you to take care of business rather than increasing your competition and educate them on how best to compete with you in your own back yard. After all the ones you are going to attract to the club are going to be in exactly the same position as yourself. You may not want them up to speed right at this point in your new business plan.

    Once you are the master of your own domain you can start the club.

  • Tony WooldridgePro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Walla Walla, WA · Member since 2016 · 480 posts · 346 votes
    9y

    @Thomas S. that is the GR8 debate isn't it?  I hear what you are saying and understand that in a smaller community you are already up against it as you don't have as much inventory to go around.  However, what if you are able to find just one maybe more but it really only takes one that is willing to network and eventually learn, share and maybe eventually partner on deals.  Now instead of doing it all on your own you have multiplied yourself in all ways.  50 % of something is better than 100 % of nothing, right?  Through this process you both earn a priceless education both good and bad, the good you continue to replicate and the bad you try never to do again and find a way to improve upon. 

    But then again you could be right that they learn all of the things that I know (which I have learned only through studying my market place, studying continuously on BP).  I don't have any secrets it is all out in the open for anyone to learn and use.

    I certainly am trying to "take care of business" and will continue to do so as you and our fellow colleagues here on BP keep me motivated to do so. I know I just have to realize not to force the deal and it will eventually come.  Thanks for stopping in and sharing your thoughts on the matter I sincerely do appreciate and value everyone's input!

  • Tony WooldridgePro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Walla Walla, WA · Member since 2016 · 480 posts · 346 votes
    9y

    Update, I guess a lot has happened in the last two months. I have finally found my 1 st deal (which I am in the process of rehabbing right now, A LOT OF WORK!) and I have just posted on BP yesterday to start my 1st ever BP meet-up in my area. Evidently, it is a lot of first, a lot of GR8 first timers at that. Well, just wanted to keep everyone posted and thanks to all that encouraged me for taking this journey. As always, I truly appreciate BP Nation's insight! Here is to wishing you all a successful 2017 in your REI ventures, and remember persistence is the key to success!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.