My first BRRRR.... From purchase to refinance

My first BRRRR.... From purchase to refinance

Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes

Hello everyone! I want to chronicle my first BRRRR investment and hope to share a success story with all of you. My main purpose is to help new investors, that are thinking about jumping into real estate investing, get a real life picture of what to expect. This isn't HGTV and I am not some Guru, I am a 40 year old dad with two kids that is tired of working 50 hours a week so someone else can get rich. I want the freedom that real estate has the potential to give, and I want something that I can share with my daughters when they get older. I have never chronicled anything like this before, so bear with me.

Now, about me. I have some experience in real estate investing, but not much. I bought my first rental, a SFH in Cincinnati Ohio, in 2010. It was pretty turnkey and has cash-flowed well for me over the years. I moved to the Philly suburbs in 2013 and decided to keep that rental because of its low maintenance and good cash-flow. I also fix and flipped a house last year, just to do it, and made a little money but nothing to write home about. That's it, so I don't have a ton of experience and consider myself still very green in all of this.

So lets talk about the property.... I am scheduled to close next Thursday. 

It is a SFH in central NJ that was a VA forclosure, that I purchased for $55,000. It is a 3 bed, 1.5 bath that needs a complete rehab. I toured at least 20 homes and offered on 5 before landing this one. I utilized the BP calculators to analyze deals and this seemed like a winner. It's not a homerun deal, but will cash flow nicely and is in a good rental area. So here are the numbers....

Purchase price $55,000

Closing costs $3500

Renovations (my initial estimate) $35,000

Taxes $5000/yr

ARV $130,000

Target rent $1600/month

I am purchasing using a hard money lender, then refinancing through my credit union after 6 months "seasoning". The terms of the hard money are as follows.... 9 month, interest only loan at 10.5%, with 20% down payment and 4 points. The points are rolled into the loan so they are paid at refinance. So I will be putting out $22,500 of my own money to fund this deal. I'm going to use real numbers because I think too many people talk about "real estate with no money down", "get loans with 100% funding". For a new investor with no experience, It's going to be difficult to invest in real estate without money. So my suggestion for new guys and gals out there looking to invest, the first step is to SAVE MONEY! Very few people invest starting with nothing. It's much easier if you have something to invest.

Here are pictures of the property as it sits today.... And thanks for reading, I hope it gives newer investors the confidence they need to jump in and take the risk!!

27Reply
185 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 97 posts · 30 votes
9y

Defiantly SAVE money, LEARN from others and last and MOST important... DO IT. You never know if you're going to make it happen until you make it happen!

See this reply in the discussion

70 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 33 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Congradulations guys!!!

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 33 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Thank you...

  • Manville, NJ · Member since 2015 · 141 posts · 87 votes
    9y
    That looks like a nice project! are you doing any work yourself? What town is the house located in? I'll definitely follow this thread.
  • Bridgewater, NJ · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 31 votes
    9y
    what part of new jersey?
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    The property is in Burlington. I will be doing very little myself. I met with my GC this afternoon to go over the details and he should have a proposal within the next few days. When I get that I will go over the details but he seems to think $30,000 should cover the rehab.
  • Lender · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 549 votes
    9y

    @Jason D. That's great.  Thanks for writing this.  Please keep it going in this thread so we can see the results.  We're about the same age, and feel the same way.  

    Did you look for properties in PA, or just NJ?  

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    I'm in Bucks county Pa so I'm looking anywhere within about a 10 mile radius for now. I plan on managing myself for a while so I'm trying to keep everything local.
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 97 posts · 30 votes
    9y

    Defiantly SAVE money, LEARN from others and last and MOST important... DO IT. You never know if you're going to make it happen until you make it happen!

  • Newtown, PA · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    Jason,

    Great post, I'm looking forward to seeing how the rehab turns out.  I've lived in Bucks County my entire life and just recently made the decision to pursue a career in real estate investing.  I'm still in the "Learning Phase" - picking up every book I can about real estate investing, listening to podcast/videos, and searching as much as I can for properties in the area to get an idea of the market.  I'm hoping to start a connection with other investors in the area.  

    This looks like a great opportunity, best of luck on the rehab.  Look forward to hearing more about it!

    Regards,

    Austin Ludwig

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Thanks for posting. Good luck

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Very inspirational. Total newbie here and just saving and soaking all the info I can in. Can you share a little about how you found the property and that process? 

  • Real Estate Agent · Elmwood Park, NJ · Member since 2015 · 151 posts · 36 votes
    9y

    Congratulations,  looking forward to your journey and can't wait to hear all about it 

  • Investor · Bennett, CO · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Congratulations! I am going to follow your thread! That's exciting and motivating! Thanks for sharing.

  • Lender · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 549 votes
    9y

    Nice @Jason D.

    I know where you're at.  Right over the Trenton bridge.  Drove through there today.

    You should check out the SJREIAs. They're so close to you.  

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    So acquiring the property was pretty straightforward. My father is my RE agent so I know he always has my best interest in mind. He has me set up on auto alerts and I use the "deal funnel". First thing I do is I know in my area, because of higher property taxes, that the property needs to be above the 1% rule to even consider it, so that really helps me narrow down my search. From there it was analyze, analyze, analyze everything. This particular house was listed on MLS as a VA forclosure for $60k. I offered $50k knowing my max was $55k. They countered with $59k, so I came back at $55k. They countered again at $58 So I walked away and continued looking. About a week later the seller came to my RE agent and said they had multiple offers and to send highest and best. I figured they were playing games so we offered $55k again and it was accepted.
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    And just a quick update, I received the bid from my contractor so I'll post the scope of work with costs this evening or tomorrow morning.
  • Manville, NJ · Member since 2015 · 141 posts · 87 votes
    9y

    The banks sure love playing games on REOs! Thumbs up for giving them time to cool down with their game. A lot of people just jump in. I have a single question. You mentioned that you expect your rent to be in the $1600 / month range. I don't know the area but through a quick look on Wikipedia and MLS that town seems to be a little rough. Is the house in a more desirable part of town?

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    There are a few iffy pockets in Burlington but this house is away from that area, outside of the "city". $1600 is pretty average rent for the area for a 3 bedroom rental.
  • Manville, NJ · Member since 2015 · 141 posts · 87 votes
    9y

    Thanks for the reply. That makes perfect sense. Be sure to post the numbers from a GC. I'm curious as to what the going rates are for different services. I did the rehab myself on my first deal so I only had to deal with the cost of the materials. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Burlington, VT · Member since 2015 · 108 posts · 46 votes
    9y

    Awesome!!! I can't wait to see the "after" pictures. Sounds like you did a great job of not getting emotionally invested and "making your money when you buy". Thanks for sharing. 

  • Columbia, NJ · Member since 2015 · 47 posts · 20 votes
    9y
    Hey Jason DiClemente congrats on getting this deal across the line. Looking forward to seeing the before and after pic. I've just finished a rehab on my first deal which is a BRRRR. I did everything for mine out of pocket with my own money. I'm interested to see the nitty gritty details of your hard money loan as I may use this at some point. Can you break it out out in a timeline form? From down payment through months 1-9? And for the refinance to pay back the remaining 80%? Or perhaps you've come across a post that really dumbs down a HML that you can share with me. Thanks!!
  • Realtor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    Congratulations!! Thank you for the motivational post....
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    @Mike Ventura congrats on finishing up your first BRRRR and good luck going forward.

    As far as the Hard money goes, I had no idea what to expect and was, frankly, ill prepared in the begining. It will be a much easier process the second time. I had been working with lending home originally because they were one of the only lenders that were able to lend to me without an LLC. I had not intention of setting up an LLC until I had a more substantial portfolio, so this seemed like a good choice. What they failed to tell me was that in NJ, they DID require an LLC to lend me money, so that was a curve ball I was not expecting. I called a number of other lender and they all needed an LLC to lend. So I formed an LLC in order to expedite the process and I liked dealing with lending home. AIS Properties was born (AIS are the firs initials of my wife and 2 kids, so it's cool to have that connection to the business anyway) and we started going forward. After working with lending home for a couple weeks, they started to require an obscene amount of paperwork and had a lot more stipulations than they led on, so I started shopping for other options. I found Groundfloor financial after calling around and they seemed to be much more "asset based" than lending home. Less paperwork, quick decisions, and better terms. They did require a larger down payment because of my lack of experience but I was expecting that and I'll be able to refinance it all out anyway so its only a temporary outlay of money. They moved through the process, minus a few small hiccups, within 2 weeks and we were ready to close. My total loan breakdown looks like this....

    Purchase Price $55,000

    Renovation Holdback $40,000 (the lender is over estimating based on their assessment of the reno)

    Total project cost $95,000

    ARV $128,000

    Term 9 months

    Rate 10.5%

    Loan amount $79,170 (They roll the loan fees into the loan to be paid back at payoff)

    Loan to cost 80.65%

    My down payment is 20% of total loan, or $19,000

    Total due at closing will be $21,500

    Sorry that it's been a few more days than expected. Still working 50+ hours a week and trying to get this property closed eats up a lot of time. 

    So a quick update.... We were supposed to close yesterday but, SURPRISE, its been delayed. Two things happened to cause the delay. 1) In the city of Burlington, when you take possession of a vacant property, it has to be registered with the city as a vacant property. The VA never registered the house, or paid the fee, so I have to wait for them to do that. 2) I wasn't aware that because it is bank owned, I was responsible for getting the conditional certificate of occupancy and fire inspection. So I was at city hall this morning to get that scheduled. But, I have to say, the people at city hall were wonderful and the process was very straightforward. The inspections are scheduled for today at 2pm and they will email me the results. Hopefully closing can happen by the end of next week.

    The contractor I found has been great so far. He is excited to build a long term relationship to where I can call him to come out to a property, before offering, and walk it with me to put together a rough bid and throw ideas at me. He is also bird dogging for me and has a property located off-market that we are going to look at next week. Promising so far, it all comes down to his work at this point.

    On to the rehab....

    The plan is a complete interior and exterior rehab, down to the studs. We are also going to move a few non-structural walls around to increase the kitchen size, convert the hall half bath to a full bath, and turn the current full bath into an en-suite for the master.

    Exterior we are replacing the siding, windows and doors, and paint the brick white. We are also going to shrink the deck a little to increase the size of the usable carport for parking.

    Interior is going to be completely renovated. The living room and three bedroom have hardwood floors that are in decent shape so they are going to be refinished, new flooring, either laminate or vinyl in the kitchen and hall. Completely new kitchen... Cabinets, solid surface counters, appliances. New bathrooms... Tub in the hall bath and stand up shower in the master. All finishes are going to be mid grade stuff, fairly durable but not too expensive. Complete new HVAC unit.... Air handler, furnace, condenser.

    Total bid for all work was $32500. We may replace the roof if we can keep everything under $35000. I was pretty happy with the bid, but more so in myself for being pretty close in my estimate. As a side note, my brother-in-law is a licensed electrician so he is going to do any electrical work, so we were able to save a little there. Nothing major for electrical though, the panel is upgraded and nothing major is being moved. It's mainly cleaning up wiring in the basement and replacing outlets and switches.

    If nothing else, this has been a great learning experience. I felt that I had learned all that I could from reading and educating myself and that the next step in me education was to simply jump in and see where it takes us. So far it's been a little stressful and time consuming but, for now, I'm so happy that I took the plunge and am searching for property #2!

  • Columbia, NJ · Member since 2015 · 47 posts · 20 votes
    9y
    Jason DiClemente so if I understand the monthly interest payments are roped into the loan amount? I also found that you need an LLC in NJ... Has your credit union given you an idea of the LTV they are willing to provide at refinance? Looks like if they loan 70% you'll make some profit on the refi. Good to hear the renovation estimate came in under budget. On a first deal I think that can be challenging to nail and sounds like you did a good job?
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    Yes Mike, ground floor rolls everything into the loan, which helps keep holding costs low. The credit union will re-fi 80% LTV, after 6 months seasoning, at 15 years fixed or variable 5/1 amortized over 25 years. My plan is to only cash out what I have in it to maximize cash flow, then use that for another deal.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.