Condo Flipping in a Ski Resort Area

Condo Flipping in a Ski Resort Area

Residential Real Estate Broker · Breckenridge, CO · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hi Everyone, 

First time poster here. I live in a booming ski town and am looking to flip condos. I picked up my condo for a great price and did a complete remodel which has increased its value by significantly more than I put into it, which made me think why don't I do this with other condos and sell them at a profit (hopefully). I am a broker so I have access to MLS and have a jump on good deals.

The questions/situations I am seeing are- There is a limited number of housing options here so its difficult to pick up condos far below market value, its possible just rare. Inventory is always low here. So is picking one up for near market value and doing a overhaul worth it? IE will I get out more than I put in generally? 

Also I haven't heard of many if any people doing this up here, could be a red flag or could be an untapped market? 

Any other advice for a new flipper is greatly appreciated, specifically in resort areas. I am reading The Book on Flipping Houses and getting a plan together, but the vacation area adds a different dynamic to the whole thing.

Thanks for reading!! 

0Reply
38 views

Most Popular Reply

Jake SklankaPro Member
Real Estate Broker · Breckenridge, CO · Member since 2017 · 53 posts · 24 votes
8y

Hey @Conor H.

I just completed an unintentional flip in Breck. My parents wanted to move to Breckenridge for 2 years and were just going to rent. At the same time, there was another unit in our building (Gold Creek) for sale and I convinced them to go 50/50 on it. They lived there while we remodelled, moved walls, redid both bathrooms and the kitchen. Here are the numbers:

Purchase Price June 16, 2016 $293k

Down Payment $60k

Remodel $25k

We planned on buying them out after the 2 years and using it as a STR. They wanted out early, before the second winter and prices had appreciated so much that we couldn't even afford to buy them out!

Sold Oct 2, 2017 $459k

Taking that money to 1031 exchange into another fixer property in Breck.

It can be done!

Let's talk more.

Cheers,

Jake

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Mammoth Lakes, CA · Member since 2014 · 262 posts · 229 votes
    9y

    We've considered this option as well, also living in a ski resort community. What I've noticed is that in general, people are not really getting their money's worth out of major remodels in the lower end condo areas. Because most of the people that are purchasing condos here are using them as second homes, they care way more about the number of people they can sleep in a unit than they do about the quality of the construction, appliances, etc. 

    For example, we could buy an original 1970s condo, repaint it, replace counter tops, and put in new flooring, and probably make a few thousand dollars in profit. If we were to actually gut and remodel, we'd probably end up breaking even.

    I think this would work well in a higher end complex (walk to lifts, nicer amenities, etc.), where it is naturally attracting a crowd looking for luxury. We just don't want to end up stuck paying carrying costs on a 750k-1mil condo while we find the right buyer.

    I'd love to hear if you are able to do this successfully! I know the Breckenridge area has been "hot" longer than the Mammoth area and maybe you have a lot more buyers looking for luxury as opposed to just beds.

  • Levi T.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tucson AZ / Nice FR / Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Rolled through Brecken just a handful of weeks ago. I agree with @Shelby Pracht.

    I'v seen resort condos markets go south a time or two.. condos can roll down by tens of thousands in value sometimes, it's a very thin market. Most owners are never doing as good as most think they do by owning one.

    Maybe if you can find distressed owners, and buy them 40-60% below market value, then improve things for a fast flip, you could have something. 

    Remodeling then units is more about eye candy, just because it appraised for more does not mean it will sell for more, just means it sells quicker than the others.

    Good luck!

  • Jake SklankaPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Breckenridge, CO · Member since 2017 · 53 posts · 24 votes
    8y

    Hey @Conor H.

    I just completed an unintentional flip in Breck. My parents wanted to move to Breckenridge for 2 years and were just going to rent. At the same time, there was another unit in our building (Gold Creek) for sale and I convinced them to go 50/50 on it. They lived there while we remodelled, moved walls, redid both bathrooms and the kitchen. Here are the numbers:

    Purchase Price June 16, 2016 $293k

    Down Payment $60k

    Remodel $25k

    We planned on buying them out after the 2 years and using it as a STR. They wanted out early, before the second winter and prices had appreciated so much that we couldn't even afford to buy them out!

    Sold Oct 2, 2017 $459k

    Taking that money to 1031 exchange into another fixer property in Breck.

    It can be done!

    Let's talk more.

    Cheers,

    Jake

  • Jake SklankaPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Breckenridge, CO · Member since 2017 · 53 posts · 24 votes
    8y

    I do admit it, the market timing was quite helpful as well!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.