WANTED - Exterior Design Ideas - Ugly House

WANTED - Exterior Design Ideas - Ugly House

Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2017 · 71 posts · 16 votes

Hello,

I am interested in hearing your thoughts about this house I purchased. Many options as of today in regards to whether we rent, BRRR, sell as is, or fix and flip for top dollar. My partner and I both have experience in construction and are both licensed builders.

ARV for house $320,000...maybe more.

Purchased for $218,000.

House is in Troy, MI (strong market, great location, strong school district, great community)

So…….I recognize the outside is UGLY on the outside.I am interested in your thoughts on what exterior improvements you would make to give this thing curb appeal! Do you have any before and after flips with picture examples?

The inside of the house will need updates. It is entirely living in the 1990’s.

1Reply
77 views

Most Popular Reply

Engineer · Magnolia, NJ · Member since 2016 · 133 posts · 135 votes
8y

Here are some before and after exterior photos of some of the flips I've done. Maybe these will give you some ideas! 

See this reply in the discussion

36 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2017 · 506 posts · 404 votes
    8y

    Nice!  Thanks for the tip!  What is that--light gray with medium gray shutters?

  • Carolina · Member since 2017 · 519 posts · 222 votes
    8y

    Are the colors in the first picture above a light gray, black shutters and door, white trim?

  • Investor · Ferndale, MI · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 19 votes
    8y
    Michael Arnold we do a lot of the work ourselves but the painting company i used so far are on the list of good price and good work. Still trying to build the team as we ramp up and start paying to get the work done faster. We have a carpet company we liked as well that we used. But don't have much to compare to yet.
  • Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2017 · 71 posts · 16 votes
    8y
    Update: Obtaining pricing for multiple interior improvements and not exactly thrilled at the bid values. This will be far from a HGTV flip lol. Here are some pics of the inside of the house and you will see that literally every surface could be upgraded. It’s gonna be a budget pinch! Let’s hear your interior improvement ideas!
  • Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2017 · 71 posts · 16 votes
    8y
  • Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2017 · 71 posts · 16 votes
    8y

    I'm sure you get the idea now......

  • Real Estate Agent · Boulder, CO · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 28 votes
    8y

    @Jody Schnurrenberger  

    I would switch out the Revere with Chelsea Grey. Its a bit darker, warmer. Very pretty.

  • Real Estate Agent · Boulder, CO · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 28 votes
    8y

    @Michael Arnold Paint the ENTIRE interior (trim and doors too) Benjamin Moore Chanitilly Lace (white). Put black door knobs on everything and black hinges. Get come more up to date light fixtures from WestElm or CB2.com and an appliance package on sale in stainless from Home Depot or Sears Ding and Scratch.

  • Real Estate Agent · Boulder, CO · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 28 votes
    8y

    @Brian H. That is correct

  • Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2017 · 71 posts · 16 votes
    8y

    Awesome feedback! I don't know about black doors with white trim and tan walls! JK I love the ideas. I'll be sure to post what we end up doing! We have contractors in the house now! Budget is tight! Give me a few weeks!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Montgomery, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I am with @Jennifer Preddy Egbert on the exterior colors... My last couple have been grey, black shutters, white trim. It is clean and neutral. As far as interior, I have only done a light tan/beige, white trim, and a medium brown accent wall. I have only had positive feedback, however I am leaning towards the trendier grey now.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.