I just listed for free on Zillow?

I just listed for free on Zillow?

FL · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 107 votes

All this talk about using realtors or listing with flat fee services...

I just made an account with Zillow and listed a house for free, and they said it will be on Trulia also.

Am I missing something? No listing fees whatsoever.

2Reply
38 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
8y

All the agents/brokers in this tread tell you basically you are missing out. And all the non agents/brokers, are telling you it is ok.

Not saying anything other than it is funny ^_^.

Both sides have good points. I just think it is funny!

See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 911 votes
    8y

    You don't need a realtor to sell real estate that you own! 

    Hire someone to take professional pics and take the phone calls in and it's easy!

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y
    You got on Zillow,you didn’t get on your local mls where all the buyers agents are looking.
  • Turlock, CA · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 7 votes
    8y
    Any buyers represented by agents wont be looking at your property. Agents also wont be pushing your property to their PREAPPROVED buyers.
  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 61 posts · 35 votes
    8y
    In this market your losing money by not listing with an agent. I listed my flip last week and had 75 showings in 6 days and a bidding war. Having Multiple offers to give to the appraiser to justify the selling price also helps with what I’m getting. Multiple offers are very common and always give sellers options. Inventory is so low you want to leverage buyers anxiety.
  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    Hope it works out for you. The reality is you are probably reaching less than 5% of the potential buyers in your market 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Montgomery, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    If you are confident in the house you can list there and hope the right buyer finds it. I imagine someone will. I imagine most buyers do find their house online, but probably an MLS listed house that shows up on all of the search engine.

    If you aren't in a hurry to sell, give Zillow a couple weeks/month and seen what happens. Flat fee works well if the Zillow free listing doesn't, but I would offer a buyer agent commission.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    All the agents/brokers in this tread tell you basically you are missing out. And all the non agents/brokers, are telling you it is ok.

    Not saying anything other than it is funny ^_^.

    Both sides have good points. I just think it is funny!

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:

    All the agents/brokers in this tread tell you basically you are missing out. And all the non agents/brokers, are telling you it is ok.

    Not saying anything other than it is funny ^_^.

    Both sides have good points. I just think it is funny!

     Ahhhh...... not so fast. While you see Broker next to my name it is for my purposes as I flip houses. I have not done residential sales since the mid 90s

    I stand by my comment that he probably 5% of the buyers in his market 

    None of the try it out for a while posters asked what his carrying costs were. Nor is he family with the process. Also does he live in a market where listings go stale quickly?

    I sell all over Texas and list with other agents often.  Why? I want to turn my money over as quickly as possible and do not want to miss out on potential buyers

    My guess is more often than not the net is higher using an agent 

  • Sharon PowellPro Member
    Realtor · La Vernia, TX · Member since 2014 · 153 posts · 124 votes
    8y
    Patrick Philip don’t forget about the rest of the transaction. There’s still a lot to do after putting it on Zillow.
  • FL · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 107 votes
    8y

    I just paid $79 for a flat fee MLS listing. That should do a little better.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    Dont forget to put it on face book .  3 of my neighbors did that and sold in less than a week , and set new record highs for the neighborhood .

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Patrick Philip:

    I just paid $79 for a flat fee MLS listing. That should do a little better.

     Dude, seriously, PLEASE let us know how it works out? This is quite interesting!

  • Real Estate Broker · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 725 posts · 129 votes
    8y

    The flat fee listings are cheap (e.g. $100) and you get much better exposure (MLS, realtor.com, broker sites, etc). By listing only on Zillow, you are most likely leaving money on the table. Free is great, but in this case it's penny wise and pound foolish IMO.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Montgomery, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Patrick Philip:

    I just paid $79 for a flat fee MLS listing. That should do a little better.

    This will get you much more exposure. Hopefully you are offering a buyers agent commission?

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Patrick Philip:

    I just paid $79 for a flat fee MLS listing. That should do a little better.

    I've been reading your posts for over a year now, and it seems to me that you are constantly focused on the wrong optimizations.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Palm Beach Gardens, FL · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 124 votes
    8y

    I'm an Agent/Investor and I say try it for a few weeks and see if you get any hits. If you priced it right and know your comps that is the most important. Sure you will get more exposure on MLS but even I will try Zillow only with my flip to see if I can save 3% that I would pay to a buyers agent. I will try it for 2 weeks and see what happens. Nothing to lose unless you are in a big hurry.

  • FL · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 107 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originally posted by @Patrick Philip:

    I just paid $79 for a flat fee MLS listing. That should do a little better.

     Dude, seriously, PLEASE let us know how it works out? This is quite interesting!

     I will.

    I used a site called Beycome.com which is a $79 fee to list on the MLS until it sells.

  • FL · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 107 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Susan K.:

    I'm an Agent/Investor and I say try it for a few weeks and see if you get any hits. If you priced it right and know your comps that is the most important. Sure you will get more exposure on MLS but even I will try Zillow only with my flip to see if I can save 3% that I would pay to a buyers agent. I will try it for 2 weeks and see what happens. Nothing to lose unless you are in a big hurry.

     How does listing for free on Zillow save you from paying commission to a buyer's agent?

  • FL · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 107 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Brian Pulaski:
    Originally posted by @Patrick Philip:

    I just paid $79 for a flat fee MLS listing. That should do a little better.

    This will get you much more exposure. Hopefully you are offering a buyers agent commission?

     Yes, 2.5%.

  • FL · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 107 votes
    8y

    Here's before and after if anyone cares...

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/smexxkiseky7atd/VZM.IMG_...

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5o9117c49t5igu2/0511181730.jpg?dl=0

  • Cupertino, CA · Member since 2014 · 59 posts · 22 votes
    8y
    I also at times wonder why do we need an agent to list the house when we have internet and everything/everyone is hyper connected. Do we need to pay 4-6% for the amount of efforts required to sell a house? No offense to my real estate agents friends here but thinking out loud. Also, based on my little experience in Blockchain, I am sure that day is not far when we won’t be needing a tittle company and maybe an agent too to sell a house.
  • FL · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 107 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Manish A.:

    I also at times wonder why do we need an agent to list the house when we have internet and everything/everyone is hyper connected.
    Do we need to pay 4-6% for the amount of efforts required to sell a house? No offense to my real estate agents friends here but thinking out loud.

    Also, based on my little experience in Blockchain, I am sure that day is not far when we won’t be needing a tittle company and maybe an agent too to sell a house.

     One time I sold a vacant piece of land without a title company.

    I typed my own Warranty Deed by copying the old one. Come to find out the courthouse has standard forms for this. It cost $18 total.

    You can find everything that a title company can by searching the county Property Appraiser (or assessor, if they call it that), and by searching the county Recorder or Clerk to look for liens.

  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    $79 flat fee 

    Offer 4% to selling agent 

    Whose house do you think agents will bring their buyers to first to make 33% more money 

    Worked VERY well on my last two sales. 

    Just listed another one 2 days ago. We’ll see how it goes 

  • Cupertino, CA · Member since 2014 · 59 posts · 22 votes
    8y
    Patrick Philip - you are exactly right! Imagine the amount one has to pay a real estate agent in expensive places like, San Francisco Bay Area considering most of the time sellers and buyers agent is the same person #SCAM For example, If a home is listed for $1.5M in SFO - agent may take home $60k for doing very little since home sells for itself there because of the bidding war and low supply.
  • Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2017 · 366 posts · 165 votes
    8y

    Interesting thread, I am taking the totally the opposite approach. Have a real estate license with a low fee managing broker. Will be listing one my rentals on the MLS with a 5% Co-op fee. Over 90% of the listings in this area pay a 2.50% Co-op.

    Putting a property on the MLS without a Co-op fee is useless. Putting a listing on the MLS with a double sized Co-op fee, might be overkill. Would rather have extremely motivated agents trying to sell my property. Even with the internet agents still have a fair amount of sway with buyers. Agents often claim commission has nothing to do with their sale process, no doubt there are some agent saints with purly selfless motivations, I like my odds of dealing with non saints a bit better.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.