I'm in the process of closing on my first property. I plan to be self managed. It's a 3 unit that is currently fully occupied. All tenants are on month to month agreements which means that it's possible for me to need to start looking for new tenants at almost any point.
My question is this: when searching for new tenants and posting your property without a real estate agent, do you use your personal cell as a point of contact or do you do something else? Do you have a separate cell phone?
Same question applies to tenants you already have. How do they get a hold of you when they call?
I'm not so sure I want to give out my personal cell number to everyone that applies or even to tenants I might end up with. How do you deal with this problem?
Lender · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 106 posts · 75 votes
8y
A great source for a free number is through Google Voice. Create or login to a gmail account. Open a new tab and go to https://google.com/voice and set up a free number to use. This can forward directly to your cell without having to give them your personal number.
Specialist · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 891 votes
8y
Never.. You should get Grasshopper 1-800 number.. Give them an extension that goes straight to a voicemail.. or an extension that directs to your cell and you can choose when and when not to pick up.. Or add a different number to your existing cell phone plan and make sure the plan allows you to know when an incoming call is coming from that new 2nd line.. imagine tenants calling your main cell line at 2am for a leak
Lender · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 106 posts · 75 votes
8y
A great source for a free number is through Google Voice. Create or login to a gmail account. Open a new tab and go to https://google.com/voice and set up a free number to use. This can forward directly to your cell without having to give them your personal number.
Real Estate Investor · Plumas county, CA · Member since 2011 · 150 posts · 88 votes
8y
I second google voice..it even lets you choose a number in a town you might like...In my case its in the same general arean but not close...and its free
@Landon Rasmussen Congratulations on closing on your first property! I too recently purchased my first triplex. I did not want to deal with finding tenants, so I had my realtor take care of that. Once my tenants signed a one year lease, I did provide my cell just for ease of communication.
Since a couple lives in both unit 1 and unit 2, group texts to each unit make it easy so everyone is on the same page. If I was searching for my own tenants and widely distributing my number, I would opt for something like google voice
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
8y
My tenants? Absolutely. Prospective tenants? No, we have an office number for that.
I look at it this way: if I've accepted them as a tenant, I shouldn't have any problem with them knowing how to get in touch with me. I haven't had a situation yet that a tenant having my cell phone number has been a problem. By the time they get through my screening process the bums have all been eliminated.
Investor · Broward County, FL · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 938 votes
8y
I have created a MySudo number just for that. I have landline VoIP numbers, but most of my tenants are texting now... MySudo let me have other numbers on my cell. I can decide for each number if I want them to ring or not. I can even create a temporary number for a specific event/promotion and get rid of it after.
Rental Property Investor · Douglas County, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y
I agree with JD. Most of my contact with tenants is by text, which I respond to at my convenience. My phone is set on "do not disturb" from 10pm to 7 am, but I've never had a tenant call during those hours anyway.
imagine tenants calling your main cell line at 2am for a leak
I don't have to imagine, I got a call at 1 am telling me water was coming down from the roof through 4 floors! I was happy that tenant had my number. I'm reluctant to use 'do not disturb' for this reason. I do sometimes. Honestly, after 21 years of self managing and using either a landline or cell for screenings of my now 12 units, I can't think of a single bad event as a result. Given that voice communications is being destroyed by junk calls all day long and millennials don't ever answer their phones, we have bigger problems.
Rental Property Investor · Sumter, SC · Member since 2015 · 334 posts · 531 votes
8y
I use my Google voice number when I'm advertising, but vetted tenants get my personal cell. It hasn't been a problem, they prefer texting anyway. I also have my phone set on "do not disturb" at night.
Rental Property Investor · Manteno, IL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y
I self manage and have over 70 sfh's. My tenants all get my cell phone number. I use my old landline home number when I have listings and never answer that phone. I only respond to people who leave a vmail. I also have a google voice number that I use to text tenants as well.
I like people having my cell more so to get them to text. I rarely answer my cell phone when I see its a tenant. I want it to go vmail. Most of them know if they want me to respond, they need to text me.
The reason I prefer texting is that I forget most everything and I also like having a record of my communications with tenants. Just had it come in handy recently. Tenant got evicted and then tried to claim I said I told them I wouldn't file the eviction if they were out by some date. I have the texts. The tenant texted me that they would be out by x date. I texted back that was unacceptable and if they didn't pay the rent, I would have to file the eviction.
If you have sfh's in decent to good areas, you will not get bombarded with calls. Just be sure you add your tenants to your contacts so you know its them calling. And let it go to vmail. I also strongly recommend convincing tenants to text you. You want all communication with your tenant on record somehow if you can get it.
Investor · Roswell, GA · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 17 votes
8y
@Landon Rasmussen
Use Google Voice. You can have it attached with the hangouts and google voice app. It will ring just like your cell phone if you set it up.
All these tips have been absolutely phenomenal. I'm going to set myself up with a Google Voice account while advertising and vetting and then hand out my personal cell to tenants who I've signed a lease with.
Thank you all so much!!!
Investor · Dundee, OR · Member since 2016 · 104 posts · 162 votes
8y
Hell ya I give them my cell #, that's what its for, my responsibilities. I want to know what's going on with MY properties 24/7. Property managers have a direct connection 24/7. Why should I be any different? Who do you think pays my cell bill?
Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2016 · 425 posts · 184 votes
8y
I use a separate number just for business. I actually have two, one for inquiries for potential new tenants when I have a vacancy, and another for customer service/maintenance for existing tenants. I can direct those numbers to any landline or cell number that I want. It's also nice with the two numbers to know when that number rings in on caller id, what the intention of that call is, existing tenant who needs help, or an inquiry about a vacancy. Maybe 2 numbers is too much at first, but it scales for sure.
I also use TenantCloud to manage and communicate with the Tenants there. It's very organized, and free to start also.
Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
8y
I use a Google number for ads or when I'm on vacation. All my tenants have my personal cell. Really, most tenants worry about bothering me and don't always call me as promptly as I'd like.
Clive, IA · Member since 2013 · 141 posts · 89 votes
8y
I am close to 200 doors.
I'm a little odd but I have two phones.
One for tenants, potential tenants etc.... when I go on vacation I can give the phone to one of my employees and enjoy my vacation.
My personal phone I use somewhat for business the police department has that number along with my subcontractors and employees. It has worked well
Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y
I never answer or give my phone. It is done via eMail with some description of their profile.
" We are a family of 5. I am a factory worker 10 years. Wife is a nurse combined income is $XX K gross. Credit is OK. My phone # is 555-1212". You call and arrange viewing...
These days it is often done by texting or block your nuisance calls.
Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 54 posts · 14 votes
8y
@Landon Rasmussen
I have tried the googe voice on ads and then my personal cell on lease. But over time google voice has been buggy with iPhone and the number dies if not used. Moreover, after 12 SFRs and several sewage and AC issues I hate tenants who call or text me directly anytime for small issues. I have an assistant Now but the guideline is to raise a maintenance request online or send an email with issues, photos, description and video of the problem. We respond WITHIN 24 HrS. Problem with texting is that is is non stop and goes on all the time.