The Occupants from Hell!

The Occupants from Hell!

Will BarnardPro Member
Moderator
Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes

I am currently dealing with some occupants (who are no more than squatters) and getting them out so I can get in and start the rehab has been a daunting process. Typically, I get them out with cash for keys and it is never easy, but usually effective.

In this case, I purchased the property (practically stole it on price and terms)Feb 28th of this year and am still working on getting these morons out. I offered them $6k! for keys and they did not take it. I started eviction and they have used every tactic in the book to cause delays and extend the process. On the final hour before the summary judgement hearing, one of the two occupants filed for BK causing another 45 day or so delay. Unfortunately in CA, the laws, for some stupid reason, reside with occupants and not the legal owners. (I wont even get started on politics here!)

The good news is that I was able to have summary judgement against one of the occupants and already filed for the Sherriff to remove her from the premises. Should be within the next week or so for that. The kicker is that once it happens, her boyfriend still has rights to be there (until he is finally evicted) so I am quite sure she will just come right back. When that happens, I will make damn sure I make their lives as miserable as possible for the problems they have caused me. How can I do that legally you might ask? I will have periodic visits to the property and when I see she is there, I will call the Sherriff and inform them that she is illegally trespassing on my property and I want her removed/arrested. I will do this as many times as it takes until they get the point or until summary judgement against him occurs. Either way, screw them both!!! :roll:
What comes around goes around and theirs is coming.

***Update as of today 1-31-16: 5 years and 32 thread pages later, this is still ongoing. The following link was created by a BP Member in support of my situation found on page 32 of this thread. https://www.gofundme.com/OccupantsfromHell

This was approved by the heads of BP to be live in this thread. ***

23Reply
8,711 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Member since 2011 · 29 posts · 40 votes
15y

I knew a guy who was a landlord, he had a girl want to overstay, her tenancy, so he paid two
really big guys to show up and start unloading a van full of stuff, he just told her.
It may take 90 days to kick you out, but, it will also take you 90 days to kick these guys out,
and, if you want to sleep in the same apartment with them, that's fine, but, otherwise, start packing.

She packed up, and the big guys helper her get her furniture out.

she never figured out the big guys were movers.

See this reply in the discussion

838 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Insurance Agent · AZ · Member since 2013 · 306 posts · 161 votes
    10y

    @Will BarnardI am so disappointed to hear this for you; this is just too much. I can't even imagine your anger. Not just the money (which, of course, is HUGE), but the constant waste of time. Michaela G had some good ideas above - maybe one/some of the options will work for funding, but also to spread the word about this horrible situation.

  • Investor · Milpitas, CA · Member since 2014 · 116 posts · 103 votes
    10y

    @Will Barnard If you open a kickstarter and/or change.org campaigns, I would make do what I can to promote it in my circle, and with my friends at San Jose Biggerpockets meetup as well. And I am sure that many would do the same in their own circles.

    By the way, how's the other guy afford their own legal fees? I guess instead of paying rents or mortgages, they pay attorney fees.

  • Specialist · Lakewood, CO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    I agree that it's about time to put some media attention on this. The level of public awareness (and therefore pressure) that media brings can put so much more pressure on the courts than just paying more money to grow an already ridiculous system.

  • Retired Business Owner · Buford, GA · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    I thought that I would be the first (sucker) landlord to post a story about the tenants from hell. Earlier in the summer we decided to rent to a young couple with a two year child. The guy had good credit the girl was a deadbeat. Right after they moved in the problems started. Since the couple moved from quite a distance I had no way to know what their living habits were. The first month we came to do the inspection. That's when I realized the guy was a complete idiot. Before we arrived to do the inspection the tenant complained of a water leak and that he had a professional plumber come out and fix. I asked for the receipts so I can reimburse him for the expense. That never happened. Two months down the road I came to the house on a preset appointment to spray for pests. When I got there I discovered the guy tearing out drywall. He tells me it was mold and he "fixed it." I also discovered malicious damage to the drywall so I called the sheriff to file a report. 
    My next step was to get them out by filing a dispossessary. 
    When we got to court I brought pictures, receipts, police reports also evidence of other malicious damage and violations of the lease to long to mention here. Guess what?
    The magistrate sided with them. I lost. The good part is they moved out on their own a couple of weeks later. When they moved I was able to access the property to find out what really happened. They had a dog. They would allow the dog access to the crawlspace. the pet took the vapor barrier as a toy. He started digging and removing the covering. When the rains came this allowed moisture to come in from the crawlspace thus affecting the living space with some mold especially that time of year (summer). I was glad to see them go but I had to spend thousands on rehab, pest control and crawlspace encapsulation.
    (Seems as though they brought with them and infestation of German cockroaches,ugh!)
    I did find an attorney and I am hoping to recover through the courts and to steer clear of the Magistrate court. Did you know there is no requirement by law in Georgia to become a magistrate other than residency?

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    @Mike Jaz , you could simply start your own thread to talk about your tenant.....

  • Retired Business Owner · Buford, GA · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Michaela G.:

    @Mike Jaz , you could simply start your own thread to talk about your tenant.....

    Thank you Michaela. What would be the topic? "The Tenants From Hell"

  • Weymouth, MA · Member since 2013 · 11 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    I've been following this thread from the beginning and check back every few months. What the courts have done to you is criminal! I pray you have a resolution soon, what a sad state our justice system is in. 

  • Investor · atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    @WillBarnard..  I am going through a situation that resembles yours in SC minus the fact that they were married.  I am now a year and a half in and yes I do have not one, but two lawyers!!!!  

    It really goes to show no matter who you think you are or how much you think you know someone with ill intent can make your life a living #$#$...

    Right is right and we must fight until the end!!! Can't stop won't stop!!

  • FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 357 votes
    10y

    @Adrian Smalls,

    To make the @ work, do the following:
    Hold down the shift key and type @?
    Look below this Window, and you will see a list of names of people that have posted in this thread.
    Click on the name of the person that you want notified via an email, that you responded to them.
    If you are a Colleague with anyone that has NOT posted in the thread, and you want them to see your post, hold down the shift key, type the @ and the first 4 letters of their First or Last Name.
    Then look below this Window and click on that person's name.
    Raymond

  • Investor · atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    @Raymond B. Thanks Raymond you are the man!!!  

  • Queen Creek, AZ · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    If someone know how to set up a go fund me page I will be happy to donate the 1st $100 to help cover the legal costs of this nightmare.  Just post the link on the thread and tag me.

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2013 · 465 posts · 170 votes
    10y

    Commenting so I don't lose this again forever and a day. Good Luck!

  • Investor · Topeka, KS · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    WOW! There are many things about CA real estate that is better than my KS real estate, I assume.  But in KS I can have Sheriff at the door in under 35 days for unpaid rent.

    sorry to here about your trouble.

  • Queen Creek, AZ · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    I created a go fund me page to help Will cover his legal costs.  

    You can:

    Donate Here

    Will, If we raise more then you need please pay it forward to a worthy cause.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    campaign not found

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Michaela G.:

    campaign not found

    @Bob E. see above ...

  • Queen Creek, AZ · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Thanks guys I will fix that ASAP!

  • Queen Creek, AZ · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    The Link Should now be working:

    Donate Here

    I am happy to report that Will has his first donation!

    Bob

  • Queen Creek, AZ · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Regarding the GoFundMe I started for Will-

    Looks like BP deleted the post.  I received a note that they don't allow loan or lender requests, they are considered advertising.  I have appealed and will keep everyone posted.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    You can actually find it by going to the GFM page and searching under Will's name. The picture shown is the same one that BobE uses here.

  • Queen Creek, AZ · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Thanks Michaela, Good Point on that.  We from BP shale overcome!

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Let's see who's willing to put their money where their mouth is. I think we all benefited tremendously through the information imparted through this thread. 

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 94 posts · 40 votes
    10y

    I just read through this thread and I am heartbroken/angry.  Whose country is this?

    @Will Barnard I definitely believe in the law of the harvest. This guy will reap what he has sown (if he isn't already).  Meanwhile, you are reaping the benefits of a successful RE investment business.

    I hope someday you laugh about this and remember a fat profit check!

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Michaela G.:

    Let's see who's willing to put their money where their mouth is. I think we all benefited tremendously through the information imparted through this thread. 

     Thank you so much Michaela for all your support in this thread, for your funding idea, and for your contribution.

    A big thanks and shout out to Bob E. for setting up the page and being the first to contribute.

    The heads of BP have authorized his post and the link is now back live on this thread. Thanks to all for your support, I hope to gather attention in Sacramento regarding the holes in our system that allow crooks to operate like this.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    @Will Barnard

    when you finally get the house, we want to see before and after pictures!!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.