How do you envision what the finished home will look like?

How do you envision what the finished home will look like?

Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 2 votes

Thank you for looking at my post and thinking about the response! This question is for people, who have walked a distressed property, created a scope of work and completed the rehab.

After finding a home that's below market value and seeing it in distressed condition. What helps you envision what the finished project will be? I've researched online/read a ton, it seems running comps and seeing finished likewise homes in the market is the way to determine. I want to learn how other REI's determine what work will be done to a property before they begin the work.

I appreciate ALL the feedback I can get!

THANK YOU!

0Reply
38 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · NY MA CT VT MT, MO · Member since 2015 · 200 posts · 116 votes
7y

@Rudy Herrera, great question!  

I've heard (on some kind of science show) that only about 15% of people have the ability to truly visualize things.  I don't have it, but, as @Geordy Rostad suggested, it's something that can be developed.  I think he's a realtor, and as many busy Realtors who see thousands of properties and steal ideas and do their own designing do,  you take mental (and iphone) pictures of things you love the look of.  Over time, you build a conglomeration of all the things you've seen (or designs you've done) before.

My wife has that skill.  she can visualize (and conjure up) colors together.  I've met a few other people who can too, and it's truly amazing.

I've seen some of what @John Hickey has done, and that dude does nice stuff!  Not bad for a Firefighter!  His designs are so hot he needs to be able to squelch the heat from them!!.... Sorry lame humor is what I do best, according to my family.

I love Houzz.com for ideas... literally thousands of images, and you can sift through them fairly efficiently.  I send clients to them to get ideas.

There are a LOT of wannabe designers out there who love to do amateur designing.  I guarantee you have a friend who would love to go with you and give you their ideas on stuff.  They might even have the skills... Not bad to get ideas from, and if you don't like the ideas, you can pass.  Maybe sit with them over Houzz and see if what they pick out looks good to you, and then decide whether to take them with you!

Kitchen and bath showrooms can get you great ideas...but they are expensive to buy from, so shoplift some ideas and look around for less expensive options of the same look.

 IKEA is pretty great and cheap... and they're free to browse. 

Some paint companies like Sherwin williams have programs where you can put your pix into the program and it will put their colors on your walls on screen.  Reality v onscreen may be a little different, but it's an awesome way to start, until you get enough experience with colors to use tried and true colors, OR hire a pro to make decisions for you!

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Kirkland, WA · Member since 2018 · 549 posts · 411 votes
    7y

    @Rudy Herrera

    If you really have trouble visualizing it, you could try to learn a CAD program so you can draw yourself a picture but this might be extreme.

    You might try working with a designer. They can put together things that work well, show you pictures and maybe even draw you a picture.

    Visualization is a skill and not necessarily a natural talent. It can be developed with practice. Just start touring a lot of open houses in your area, looking at MLS pictures, etc and you'll build a library in your mind of how that particular kitchen or bathroom could look.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chappaqua, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 947 votes
    7y

    @Rudy Herrera

    At this point most of the houses I renovate look very similar. 20x40 brick row house built in 1800s.

    When I first started I would cut out pictures of other houses that I liked the inside.

    For the outside I would just drive around the area and look at similar houses taking an idea from each of them and seeing what worked best.

    On visualization. It’s an incredible tool. More than just how to do a SOW though. I visualize right before bed and again when waking up me walking up to the door and knocking being greeted by tenants. Getting these Reno’s done depending on what kind of props you buy can be a real doozy. Visualization is my secret weapon.

  • Rental Property Investor · DFW · Member since 2017 · 143 posts · 120 votes
    7y

    @Rudy Herrera, yes on comps and walking finished homes.  Other tools/techniques to help with visualization:

    •  floorplan diagram
    • a bound notebook or tablet for sketching ideas
    • Pinterest, IG, and similar
    • Social sites and forums - specifically where you show different pictures/sketches and ask for feedback
    • Find someone who is good at visualization and take them with you to visit a property
    • Practice visualizing homes you're not interested in.
    • For color palette decisions, it depends on what you're going for...but, any home design site/magazines can show you what's popular...or <sigh> just watch HGTV
    • Make friends with a local realtor in an area you're buying into and ask them what buyers & tenants want and don't want.

    That should be enough to get you going.

  • Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Geordy Rostad thanks for your response! I’m going to start using these techniques now. I’ve found myself on google images a lot more reviewing designs and layouts.

  • Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @John Hickey great info John! You’re right, I go to sleep and think of all the different ways I can customize a property! The methods you discussed will definitely be used! Thanks again John.

  • Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Brit F. EVERYTHING you mentioned will be noted down! What HGTV shows you like best? There’s a lot of different shows but most of them have been pretty helpful.

  • Rental Property Investor · NY MA CT VT MT, MO · Member since 2015 · 200 posts · 116 votes
    7y

    @Rudy Herrera, great question!  

    I've heard (on some kind of science show) that only about 15% of people have the ability to truly visualize things.  I don't have it, but, as @Geordy Rostad suggested, it's something that can be developed.  I think he's a realtor, and as many busy Realtors who see thousands of properties and steal ideas and do their own designing do,  you take mental (and iphone) pictures of things you love the look of.  Over time, you build a conglomeration of all the things you've seen (or designs you've done) before.

    My wife has that skill.  she can visualize (and conjure up) colors together.  I've met a few other people who can too, and it's truly amazing.

    I've seen some of what @John Hickey has done, and that dude does nice stuff!  Not bad for a Firefighter!  His designs are so hot he needs to be able to squelch the heat from them!!.... Sorry lame humor is what I do best, according to my family.

    I love Houzz.com for ideas... literally thousands of images, and you can sift through them fairly efficiently.  I send clients to them to get ideas.

    There are a LOT of wannabe designers out there who love to do amateur designing.  I guarantee you have a friend who would love to go with you and give you their ideas on stuff.  They might even have the skills... Not bad to get ideas from, and if you don't like the ideas, you can pass.  Maybe sit with them over Houzz and see if what they pick out looks good to you, and then decide whether to take them with you!

    Kitchen and bath showrooms can get you great ideas...but they are expensive to buy from, so shoplift some ideas and look around for less expensive options of the same look.

     IKEA is pretty great and cheap... and they're free to browse. 

    Some paint companies like Sherwin williams have programs where you can put your pix into the program and it will put their colors on your walls on screen.  Reality v onscreen may be a little different, but it's an awesome way to start, until you get enough experience with colors to use tried and true colors, OR hire a pro to make decisions for you!

  • Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Alan Brown I've started looking at houses as I drive past, began to walk areas more and go over what I "would do" if I was working on it, looking online/magazines, more. I know a few people close to me that can offer help in this area. I'm thinking about walking a property with them and getting their input on designs.

    I thought it was a good joke haha but I didn't even realize painting companies had the ability!! I'm going to find some I can try out. Really appreciate the feedback!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.