Replace those compression valves with 1/4 turn angle valves!

Replace those compression valves with 1/4 turn angle valves!

Lender · Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 83 posts · 69 votes

Pretty much any house you walk into in America has compression shutoff valves at the water line hookups under every sink and behind every toilet in the house. These compression valves where never designed to last. They must have all been made in the most cost savings oriented factory in the world because the compression aspect of the valve just simply fails after any period of time longer than about a decade.

Now, when I’m talking about a compression shutoff valve, what I mean is the multi-turn angle valve for the hookup lines. Here's a photo:

A multi-turn angle valve shuts-off the water via compression in the valve. It’s the compression aspect in the valve that is guaranteed to fail after a lot of use or simply the passage of time.

Job #1 when I’m doing a rehab is to replace every single compression shutoff valve in the house with a quarter turn shutoff valve. The quarter turn valve is in essence a ball-joint valve and you can be darn sure that puppy isn’t going to fail.

Below is a photo of this kind of valve.

Once all of the shutoff valves are converted to the quarter turn valve, I can always breathe easier when I'm having subs change things out in the bathrooms or anywhere in the house where water is involved. Other than a fire, water leaking anywhere in the house is the most destructive thing that can happen.

If you have your own rehab crew, I recommend teaching someone on the crew how to change out these shutoff valves. If you don't have a rehab crew, heck just learn how to do it yourself. It's a bit of work but you can learn to do it. Plumbers themselves would love to charge you something like $50 a valve and there's just no way you should be paying that. You can learn to do it yourself and save a good chunk of change.

If you have questions about why I'm kind of obsessed about this, please feel free to ask.

Best, Bobby

10Reply
480 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
14y

I absolutely agree. These work much better than the old fashioned multi-turn valves.

They're actually ball valves, not ball joint valves, though. A ball with a hole in it you turn to align the inlet and outlet (open) or not (closed). A ball joint is a mechanical linkage where a ball on the end of one shaft fits into the socket in the end of another shaft, allowing the second shaft to move in any direction. Sorry, its the engineer in me.

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    We like having Bidets and the easiest one to fit to our toilet in our new modern condo has a fitting that is too tall thus necessitating turning the valve and pipe 1/8-1/4 turn to the left, loosening it slightly.  Can this be done safely or should I not try?  BTW A bidet is great once you get used to the cold water.

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Jim Shafland,

    Oh! I've seen bidets with both hot and cold water on them. I just figured you could regulate that.

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    I'm thinking any valve that doesn't get moved periodically is going to get "stuck". When I sold my Mom's house, we hadn't had to shut the water off for years. I could barely turn the valve before the meter with a pipe wrench! So, some stuff didn't get done before we sold.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Jim Shafland:

    We like having Bidets and the easiest one to fit to our toilet in our new modern condo has a fitting that is too tall thus necessitating turning the valve and pipe 1/8-1/4 turn to the left, loosening it slightly.  Can this be done safely or should I not try?  BTW A bidet is great once you get used to the cold water.

     What is the pipe material? If it's PEX with a crimp fitting, you shouldn't have any problem - PEX can spin in a circle on its crimp (not that you should go doing it). I assume it's not galvanized since you say it's modern. If it's copper, the only turning is going to be the valve if it's on a male/female fitting. Will it leak? Maybe. 1/8 of a turn is not much but you are backing off the sealant. If it has a good layer of pipe dope, you may not notice anything. If it was just a thin layer of teflon tape, it might drip. 

    As far as being safe: 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn is not unsafe, it just might cause a drip. For the valve to be sealed and not leaking in the first place it has to be 3-5 full turns into the threads anyway. 

    If the pipe is a rigid plastic I wouldn't try it, because you're just as likely to snap the plastic as you are to move the valve. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Real Estate Professional · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Wow! Thanks to you all.  As far as warm water you have to buy an electric heater.  When I was on a winter NOLS course we were packing up and I asked where is the toilet paper?  The response was I wouldn't need any.  In short we don't need a warm water bidet.

    the one's on the turning the valve pipe infer that this is possible which is a delight to hear. Both the main pipe and the valve pipe are metal, but I do not know if the valve is a ball mechanism.

    We live in a condominium and would have to shut off the whole line of condo not just ours.  Having a leak in the wall would not go well.  So I may have to get a plumber.  Thanks again

  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    This is a picture of under my sink (though the picture is sideways ie the left is up).  I replaced the faucet supply Line as  I was putting in a reverse osmosis system (16 inch shiny end on the left).  Unfortunately the turn valve has now developed a very slow leak.  I will replace with the quarter turn as discussed.  I am an amateur but it looks to me that the copper tubing end has a female nut braised on.  Does that whole assembly just unscrew and get replaced rather then having to do a compression ring?  Thanks, Gary

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2008 · 10 posts · 9 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @M Asay:

    I took the advice of many who said change out "compression shutoff" for "1/4 turn" angle valves about 5 years ago. These were "USA made, full brass (including ball). In hindsight I'm very disappointed in the performance of all 20 I installed. ALL were frozen and efforts to GENTLY free them were fruitless. The shaft either broke and shot water all over the room, or stripped so as to make them unusable as a shut off (they stripped in open position). At least with the compression versions I've had some success with freeing stuck valves loosing the packing nut and applying WD40 or liquid wrench. Then working the shaft back and forth, and sometimes this frees it. No such luck with 1/4 turn stops--no packing nut and no way to get oil into the frozen ball. Now I live in a hard water city and so seizing valves is not unexpected, but 5 years and no hope of freeing them makes you wonder whether you should skip the valves altogether? However, I'm going to try nylon/plastic ball this time in hopes that the nylon is less likely to seize than the brass. Either that or go back to compression shutoff.

     It would be much more helpful to others if you posted the brand (and ideally, model number) of the inferior 1/4 turn ball valves that you purchased. That would allow others to avoid them when selecting 1/4 turn valves.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.