not sure if I should replace this roof and paint exterior

not sure if I should replace this roof and paint exterior

Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 2 votes

Roof was put in in 2007. Seems in okay condition and has life left but my main issue is the color I think its so ugly. Was thinking of replacing with a grey roof and maybe paint the brick white or a light grey. Purchased the property for 131k and can get 220-230k if its nicely done so there's some room for me to play around with. I also want to remove that big tree up front. Any input appreciated.

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · NH · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 54 votes
6y

Steven N.

Have you considered modifying the color of the house, garage door, front door and trim?  It seems like a huge expense to switch out the roof only because of color... You could also tie in that roof color (with some rock paths or floral/plant landscape applications.  

Another question to ask, is how many layers are on the existing roof.  Was this one laid over a roof?  In my experience, most roofs have a fairly long life 30-35 years sometimes depending on what your climate is like. If there are already 2 layers of roofing, you may be required to have both layers stripped off and new decking and roofing material installed.  That's a hefty cost...

If you are planning to flip this house, I would forego the roof if at all possible.  This could save you $10,000-$15,000!

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · NH · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 54 votes
    6y

    Steven N.

    Have you considered modifying the color of the house, garage door, front door and trim?  It seems like a huge expense to switch out the roof only because of color... You could also tie in that roof color (with some rock paths or floral/plant landscape applications.  

    Another question to ask, is how many layers are on the existing roof.  Was this one laid over a roof?  In my experience, most roofs have a fairly long life 30-35 years sometimes depending on what your climate is like. If there are already 2 layers of roofing, you may be required to have both layers stripped off and new decking and roofing material installed.  That's a hefty cost...

    If you are planning to flip this house, I would forego the roof if at all possible.  This could save you $10,000-$15,000!

  • Real Estate Agent · Mohnton, PA · Member since 2018 · 47 posts · 58 votes
    6y

    I agree. Even if you have "some room to play around" a $7,000 roof replacement is still $7,000 coming out of your pocket. As stated, I would look for other ways to improve curb appeal. And that is coming from a roofing contractor!

  • Jonathan BombaciBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Lowell, MA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Yeah I agree. You can increase Curb appeal with some power washing, paint, and new landscaping. Save the money on the roof replacement if there is more than 5 years of life left on it. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Montgomery, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I’ll pile on... I would leave the roof. I would however replace that garage door. The tree should be removed from this photo.

  • Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Okay I will back away from the roof replacement. Garage is not something I considered but I'll price it out. When you guys say paint the exterior are you referring to the brick?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.