How would you rehab this kitchen?

How would you rehab this kitchen?

Member since 2020 · 104 posts · 36 votes

I just acquired two identical, side-by-side duplexes and am starting to plan out my rehab project. I'm starting my focus on one unit, to figure out what works and does not work, and will hopefully then apply all those lessons to the remaining units. The properties do not appear to have been updated since they were built in 1998 and also were not really maintained well. They are located in a blue collar, "B-minus?" area of Clearwater, FL. I currently only have a few pictures taken from a website as I'm in the process of getting some tenants out. Each unit is a 3/2, 1,100 sqft, with washer/dryer closet in the kitchen area. Expected rent around $1,500.00, once updated. 

Now, for the kitchen, I'm trying to walk the line and not over or under upgrade. 

Cabinets: My thoughts are to paint (white)/repair the cabinets, update hardware and add a cabinet over the sink. I have built custom cabinetry in the past and considered boxing in the area between the cabinets and ceiling and installing taller doors, to give a more premium look, but I'm unsure whether that effort would really pay off. Alternatively, I could add a small crown to the existing cabinets and then paint, giving it a more finished look for very cheap. I also considered boxing in the refrigerator, to give a more polished look. I'm not sure, again, if that would be worth it. Minimal effort / money (diy), but unsure. 

Appliances: Will evaluate for ability to clean up / functionality. I may go with a stainless or black package. One question is, for the stove top, should it be glass or coils? As nice as glass is, it is harder to maintain and more prone to damage and I'm not sure a tenant will care much one way or the other? 

Countertop: I can cheaply put in a nice laminate IKEA countertop, or I can go the level 1 granite route. I'm not sure which will give me the best ROI. There is not a lot of counter space, so I'm estimating around $150 for laminate (diy) and $1,000 for granite. I'm not sure how much more granite would get me in this scenario, if anything.

Sink: Not sure if I should re-use or replace. May depend on the countertop choice. Faucet will be updated with a pull down most likely. 

Lighting/Electrical: The main fixtures will be updated with something matching current style. Update receptacles to white. 

Backsplash: Probably a subway tile look, either real or stick-on.

Paint: I'm not sure what is going to match the tile and these pictures aren't the best. TBD

Laundry Closet: Should I add a bi-fold door here? I am thinking about adding additional storage in there, either shelves or cabinets, as well. There is not a lot of storage space in this kitchen. It's hard to see in the photos, but it's to the right when walking into the kitchen.

Note: I attached an additional photo that gave me some inspiration regarding closing in the refrigerator and color schemes / fixtures.

I'd love to hear feedback from others who have tackled similar projects. Which upgrades are worth it and which are not? Any suggestions I haven't thought of yet? Thank you!

0Reply
371 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2013 · 347 posts · 191 votes
6y

I'll weigh in on the stovetop question .. smooth top for sure. Coils screams "cheap" and "old". For the other points about the kitchen, etc I would look at photos of places for rent in your same area and price point to see what other options your potential tenants will have available to them.

See this reply in the discussion

108 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 104 posts · 36 votes
    6y

    OK, so I've looked at several options and I think I have a general game plan. Everything will stay generally where it is and I will be deciding whether to move the water heater into the pass through area or not based on cost. I found a RTA cabinet supplier through which I can replace all the cabinets with solid construction/softclose/dovetail etc for $2000 with tax, delivery, etc. included. Does that seem like a reasonable choice? I doubt I could get the cheap particle board stuff for less thank 1K and I would think the better quality would hold up much better and be easier to repair, not to mention maybe help with appraisal come refi time?

    The one thing I'm unsure of is refrigerator size. This photo has a 33" fridge. I could go down to 30", and gain some additional cabinet space (and save money on the fridge) or I could go up to 36" and have the fridge get just about up to where that slider opening is (this would be open box and likely cheaper actually, but I'm not sure if it would seem too imposing?) It's a 3/2 and I'm unsure how much difference going from 30 to 33/36 will make as far as attracting and retaining tenants. 

  • Member since 2020 · 104 posts · 36 votes
    6y

    Upon discussion with my property manager, I may just go with a 36" fridge. It will be cheaper and better for a 3/2, though it may seem a little big for the space. 

  • Member since 2020 · 104 posts · 36 votes
    6y

    Cabinets have been ordered. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Douglas County, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Phillip Rosin:

    Cabinets have been ordered. 

    Do you mind sharing your source? 

  • Member since 2020 · 104 posts · 36 votes
    6y

    @Sylvia B. I'm using Lily Ann Cabinets.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    I would not go with the biggest fridge.  As you've size it for a 36 inch, it means you have wiggle room and a smaller fridge leaves a bit more room on the right.  For curiosity's sake I measured my fridge and it is 32.5 and plenty big enough.

  • Member since 2020 · 104 posts · 36 votes
    6y

    @Theresa Harris I still have about 3" to work with when using the 36" fridge and so have decided to go that route. Also, I can get 36" for a good bit less than the other sizes, since it's more common. 

  • Investor · Lehigh Valley, PA · Member since 2019 · 129 posts · 127 votes
    5y

    @Phillip Rosin Was interested if there was any updates to this project? I am interested in how it went after seeing all of the suggestions and discourse here.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.