clean up help...

clean up help...

Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2008 · 21 posts · 1 vote

I rented my duplex out to some druggies (no, i didn't do a background check and yes, i will DEFINITELY do that from here on out), and they left the stench of meth and cigarettes in the place. I've painted and it just smells like paint mixed in WITH the pre-existing smell. I REALLY don't want to replace the carpet seeing as they were the only ones to live on that carpet since it was installed just before they moved in! Anyone have any odor-eliminating methods? Yes, i've done basic cleaning and tried to HIDE the odors with spray stuff.

Thanks,
John

0Reply
58 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2008 · 13 posts · 4 votes
16y

Odor clean up can get pretty tricky, so I'll give you some of the basics. These are general guides, and I will add a bit to help your situation.

Source- identify the source of the odors and remove, if possible. Since they were meth smokers, this will probably be all surfaces, which you don't want to remove.

Clean- ALL remaining surfaces. In a situation like this, it is not enough to clean the carpet and floors and countertops. There must be a top to bottom wipe of ALL surfaces, including walls and ceilings. You'll want to use a cleaner that is designed for the mess you're cleaning. Meth leaves a chemical residue behind that will seep into walls, so you'll have to use something pretty strong, and wear respiratory and skin (gloves, sleeves and goggles) protection. You will also want your ductwork cleaned, along with the airhandler, and filters replaced.

If cleaning doesn't solve it, and you still have some residual odors- Deodorize using product specifically designed to eliminate (not mask) odors. They can be applied by fogging, spraying, or wiping onto surfaces. Carpets can be rinsed with a solution of one of these products mixed with the rinse water in the carpet cleaner (test for color fastness first!)

You can also call a company to run an Odorox or Ozone machine for a day. Do that only after you've completed the first steps, as it can cost a few hundred, and companies will not likely warranty the results if they have not done the cleaning themselves. Ozone must be run when the building is unoccupied, I don't recommend renting one and learning as you go! The only reason I recommend these to you is, as you'll see, the next steps become very expensive, very fast.

Still odor?- Seal and paint the walls and other surfaces. Sealing is a must, if there is something there strong enough to survive and still give off odor, it will seep through paint, or possibly cause the paint to fail. If the odor is coming from the carpet, remove and replace carpet AND pad. It probably seeped through to the padding, and is coming back after each cleaning.

For cleaning supplies, I recommend going down to your neighborhood commercial carpet cleaner supply, such as an Interlink. They will carry many types of cleaners and deodorizers designed for these situations.

Cleaning odors can be very simple, or very intensive, as you can see. Hopefully yours won't be so bad. Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Jacksonville FL & Middletown, CT · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 632 votes
    19y

    Have you shampooed the carpet?

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2008 · 21 posts · 1 vote
    19y

    yes

  • Member since 2008 · 141 posts · 1 vote
    19y

    jcfl1684,

    were they just users, or were they cooking meth in there. it's a BIG difference.

    -dean

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    19y
    Originally posted by "drweltman":
    jcfl1684,

    were they just users, or were they cooking meth in there. it's a BIG difference.

    -dean

    If they were cooking meth, I'd certainly do more research before moving on. Meth labs are EXTREMLY DANGEROUS and often times people will hide materials in crazy places (walls / floors). You might want to look in to that a bit.

    (NOTE: There was a meth lab in a condo building I used to live in and the firemen and DEA guys tore the walls and floor up with axes to find lots of little secrets hiding)

  • Member since 2008 · 141 posts · 1 vote
    19y

    when cops go into places that have operational meth labs, they have a hazmat team in plastic suits go in. meth labs are extremely toxic, and you will need a decon team to clean it out. i don't know how far you'll have to take it, but it might include pulling out carpet and some sheetwork.

    i would definitely watch out, and determine the extent of contamination.

    -dean

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2008 · 21 posts · 1 vote
    19y

    Thanks guys, I had already thought of all that. I had a cop come out and just look around and he could smell it, but says that it wasn't a lab; that they were just users. In renovating the place, i've had to tear down some sheet rock and i haven't come across any surprises or new smells.

  • Wholesaler · Amarillo, TX · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 659 votes
    19y

    I've used some super duper charcoal stuff on carpet smells before to no avail. I ended up replacing the carpets. My experience is that once those things soak into the pad, you have to replace the carpet. Well, I guess if the carpet is still in good condition, you could just pull it up gently, replace the pad, and reinstall the same carpet. It would at least save you the biggest chunk of the price (the carpet).

  • Member since 2008 · 65 posts · 0 votes
    19y

    this may help

    how to clean up a meth lab
    http://www.co.pueblo.co.us/pcchd/environmental/hazmat/hazmat-02.php

  • Real Estate Coach · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2008 · 204 posts · 188 votes
    19y

    I dont know how to clean up meth but I have bought some homes that were very rough, one for instants the old owner left 9 cats for dead in. So until they died the home was the bathroom. I used killz and sprayed down the home twice, then recarpeted.

    If you do decide to recarpet, be sure to call some investors in your area and find out where they buy, dont try to reinvent the wheel.

    Since I have around 30 rentals I have worked out some awesome deals on all aspects of flooring nice berbr .46 ft, nice laminate .99 ft. Typically these sell for 3 times as much, so definately do some negotiation, if you decide to repplace carpet.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by quadcam79:
    this may help

    how to clean up a meth lab
    http://www.co.pueblo.co.us/pcchd/environmental/hazmat/hazmat-02.php

    Looks like above link was moved; I found this one:
    http://www.co.pueblo.co.us/pcchd/environmental/hazmat.aspx?id=308

  • Contractor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2008 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    16y

    Odor clean up can get pretty tricky, so I'll give you some of the basics. These are general guides, and I will add a bit to help your situation.

    Source- identify the source of the odors and remove, if possible. Since they were meth smokers, this will probably be all surfaces, which you don't want to remove.

    Clean- ALL remaining surfaces. In a situation like this, it is not enough to clean the carpet and floors and countertops. There must be a top to bottom wipe of ALL surfaces, including walls and ceilings. You'll want to use a cleaner that is designed for the mess you're cleaning. Meth leaves a chemical residue behind that will seep into walls, so you'll have to use something pretty strong, and wear respiratory and skin (gloves, sleeves and goggles) protection. You will also want your ductwork cleaned, along with the airhandler, and filters replaced.

    If cleaning doesn't solve it, and you still have some residual odors- Deodorize using product specifically designed to eliminate (not mask) odors. They can be applied by fogging, spraying, or wiping onto surfaces. Carpets can be rinsed with a solution of one of these products mixed with the rinse water in the carpet cleaner (test for color fastness first!)

    You can also call a company to run an Odorox or Ozone machine for a day. Do that only after you've completed the first steps, as it can cost a few hundred, and companies will not likely warranty the results if they have not done the cleaning themselves. Ozone must be run when the building is unoccupied, I don't recommend renting one and learning as you go! The only reason I recommend these to you is, as you'll see, the next steps become very expensive, very fast.

    Still odor?- Seal and paint the walls and other surfaces. Sealing is a must, if there is something there strong enough to survive and still give off odor, it will seep through paint, or possibly cause the paint to fail. If the odor is coming from the carpet, remove and replace carpet AND pad. It probably seeped through to the padding, and is coming back after each cleaning.

    For cleaning supplies, I recommend going down to your neighborhood commercial carpet cleaner supply, such as an Interlink. They will carry many types of cleaners and deodorizers designed for these situations.

    Cleaning odors can be very simple, or very intensive, as you can see. Hopefully yours won't be so bad. Good luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.