Sump pump getting louder? PIC attached

Sump pump getting louder? PIC attached

Rental Property Investor · Northern NJ · Member since 2019 · 672 posts · 677 votes

Hello BP,

I've noticed my sump pump is getting louder lately. I'm unfamiliar with maintenance on these as I didn't have them where I lived. I've never seen a set up like mine, it has what appears to be a pump then it runs to where I can't see anything. Any advice on how to access the area (not sure its even behind this wall) and how to quiet it or conduct maintenance. Thanks!

1Reply
185 views

Most Popular Reply

Professional · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2015 · 35 posts · 27 votes
5y

Unless I'm missing something what your showing in your pictures isn't a sump pump.  It's a water meter. 

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Northern NJ · Member since 2019 · 672 posts · 677 votes
    5y

    Well I have a brand new digital meter courtesy of the water commission. Thanks for the explanation of the meter guys, I do appreciate it and I love to learn more than necessary. Honestly... I had a serious brain fart. I've seen a bunch of water meters down in Florida but all the ones I saw were by the sidewalk and not inside the home. Again, I feel extremely dumb as I even knew that was the water shut off. I had to use it the first week I moved in when I replaced all the rusted and almost broken toilet shut on/off valves. I'll clean up the excess water and mold. Thanks @Matt R and @JD Martin for the in depth explanation! And I opened the ball valve all the way after he left. 

  • Blue Springs, MO · Member since 2015 · 481 posts · 313 votes
    5y

    @Mark F. Thanks for posting back with the results!  That helps everybody calibrate their advice to the next person.

    @JD Martin Thanks for the details on the sweep hand and how the "odometer" works.  I'm going to check the meter at my rent house and at a relative's house the next time I'm there, just to see what I have.  (The one at my house is in a can in the front yard, which is currently covered with a protective layer of dirt and old leaves. :D )  I know at least one of those two has the mechanical number wheels and the red triangle, but I don't remember about the sweep hand.

  • Rental Property Investor · Amityville, NY · Member since 2018 · 351 posts · 441 votes
    5y

    Oh that new meter is looking real pretty!! Glad you got it handled.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Member since 2020 · 80 posts · 102 votes
    5y

    This thread has been helpful.  If there is one area that I was deficient in (and there is more than one), is construction/M&E for both residential and commercial.  It's amazing my primary home is still standing despite my ignorance.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.