What would you do if you already had 100+ lower skilled workers

What would you do if you already had 100+ lower skilled workers

Investor · Member since 2020 · 26 posts · 52 votes

I know this is a strange post but I am looking for advice/guidance. I own a moving company in the Chicago area and have ~100 employees (full+part time). We are very seasonal and even during a month busy only at certain times (ie: beginning / end of month when leases/closings tend to happen. My guys are very hard working and always looking for extra hours and I am looking for ways to give them hours to lower turnover.

I own a couple of rental properties and am looking to further expand in real estate. What synergy between the two entities could I have?

So if you already had 100+ physically hard working guys what segment of real estate would there be a good opportunity? I have thought of utilizing them for marketing of distressed properties (driving for dollars), interior demo work for other rehabbers, also the interesting concept of "pre-habbing" that I have read on BP (J Scott & Glenn Schworm), etc. Again, I know this is a strange question but I’m looking for direction from some experienced real estate people on possible opportunities.

5Reply
135 views

Most Popular Reply

Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
Moderator
Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y

@Paul Brown - I think it's super admirable that you are looking to find more ways to get your team members more hours.

I'd suggest looking into junk removal/interior demo work.  We are always looking for good demo and haul away contractors.  You obviously do need to have some leaders who have done it before, but there is definitely a bunch of work out there.

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 16 votes
    5y

    @Paul Brown any chance you could rent/buy a truck and see if the business works out? If not you can sell the truck or stop renting it

  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    @Paul Brown

    How can you leverage what you already have? People and physical assets like moving trucks...

    Partner with other businesses? Distributors, donation collection companies, shipping/package delivery firms, churches, etc.

    I’d say utilizing what you already have would be prudent given that your goal seems to be filling some down periods, and not necessarily adding an entirely new business line.

  • Investor · Elm Grove WI · Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    @Paul Brown

    Why not start a staging business? You have trucks and guys that can move furniture. It’s just moving the same furniture over and over again. In one week and out the next. You may need to hire someone with interior design expertise and get some inventory of couches and tables but I think that’s a great fit for what you have already. Get your top tier employees good with hanging pictures and you are set. Chicago is a huge market so you will always have work. If you expand to Milwaukee let me know!

  • Investor · Member since 2020 · 26 posts · 52 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Chris Boyington:

    @Paul Brown

    Why not start a staging business? You have trucks and guys that can move furniture. It’s just moving the same furniture over and over again. In one week and out the next. You may need to hire someone with interior design expertise and get some inventory of couches and tables but I think that’s a great fit for what you have already. Get your top tier employees good with hanging pictures and you are set. Chicago is a huge market so you will always have work. If you expand to Milwaukee let me know!

    Thanks Chris. Another great idea! I do have a warehouse where I can store the furniture. I will explore that as well.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.