1st Time MD Homebuyer need learning exp. Estimating Repair Costs

1st Time MD Homebuyer need learning exp. Estimating Repair Costs

Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 0 votes

Hello,

Long-time lurker looking for some advice on purchasing an older home in NW Maryland (cheaper than most places in MD) and estimating repairs on it. I will be looking at the home today, and I'm not quite sure how to estimate repairs. This home will be primarily purchased as a place to live, but secondarily as an investment learning opportunity. We are tired of renting and want to learn all the things that come with buying, owing, and then renting/selling a home. Therefore, our target investment goals are a bit different than a typical BRRRRR or Flipper.


The home is an old, 1890s Cape Cod with a tin roof and just under 1000 sq ft. Just from the pictures I can see some floor issues and ceiling/roof issues. Could be cosmetic, could be a deal-breaker. The home will need mainly paint and cosmetic touch-ups that me and my partner will be doing together, but it's the big ticket items that I need to budget for. 


House is priced for 160k, I've been preapproved for 300k but the actual lending amount is the reason I'm here. How much more over the 160k should I be expecting to borrow for the rehabs? Initial thoughts had me at 200k so I'll have 40k for repairs, but then a friend told me her bathroom required 10k in repairs, all through a contractor though. 

In buying this home we hope to gain some knowledge of benchmarks like, how much exactly does it take to repair a bathroom, bedroom, kitchen, roof? We hope the smaller square footage will allow us to remodel with not rental quality materials, but not top-of-the-line/high-end either. We just want a nice home to live in for a couple years while we learn how to fix things up and what the time/costs are. 


If anyone has some comps (i.e. "it took us 5k to remodel our 50 sq ft bathroom in Minnesota" or whatever.) on what I can expect for an older, smaller single-family home, in a cheaper area of an expensive state, that would be much appreciated.

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Attorney · Worton, MD · Member since 2014 · 274 posts · 195 votes
5y

Unfortunately there are no shortcuts to estimating rehab costs.  It takes hard work, lots of experience, and is still fraught with hazards.  The best thing you can do in the beginning is get properties as cheaply as possible and use quality contractors to do the work right.  

You have set yourself up nicely by doing it on a home you will use as your personal residence and staying well under your max loan approval amount.  That way, if you end up over budget you can live in the house and wait out any financial shortfall.  That is the cushion inherent in a live in flip or house hack opportunity.  They offer levels of safety because they offer other "exit" plans.

I agree that The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs, together with the calculator in the tools section can be very helpful. 

If you invest in a property where a payout is anticipated at the end, you could bring in an experienced flipper/contractor as a partner to assist with the estimating process. However, I doubt you will find anyone excited to work with you if there is no JV style payoff at the end, and if you are just going to hire them to do the work, your interests are not aligned, so I would be careful how much credit you give their estimates/assessments.

Whatever the outcome, you will be happy you did it if you just know your numbers and take action!

Let us know how it turns out.

Best of luck!

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    5y
  • Attorney · Worton, MD · Member since 2014 · 274 posts · 195 votes
    5y

    Unfortunately there are no shortcuts to estimating rehab costs.  It takes hard work, lots of experience, and is still fraught with hazards.  The best thing you can do in the beginning is get properties as cheaply as possible and use quality contractors to do the work right.  

    You have set yourself up nicely by doing it on a home you will use as your personal residence and staying well under your max loan approval amount.  That way, if you end up over budget you can live in the house and wait out any financial shortfall.  That is the cushion inherent in a live in flip or house hack opportunity.  They offer levels of safety because they offer other "exit" plans.

    I agree that The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs, together with the calculator in the tools section can be very helpful. 

    If you invest in a property where a payout is anticipated at the end, you could bring in an experienced flipper/contractor as a partner to assist with the estimating process. However, I doubt you will find anyone excited to work with you if there is no JV style payoff at the end, and if you are just going to hire them to do the work, your interests are not aligned, so I would be careful how much credit you give their estimates/assessments.

    Whatever the outcome, you will be happy you did it if you just know your numbers and take action!

    Let us know how it turns out.

    Best of luck!

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    5y

    For your home purchase, I highly recommend having a professional inspection done. They can uncover many of the hidden items your eyes cant see.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    5y

    Echoing @Will Barnard but I'd make sure the inspector is a GC as well. Few inspectors, regardless of how talented they may be, have building experience.

    This project you're embarking on sounds like $100k, not $40k....... even a cheap kitchen will run $25k......

  • Ozzy SirimsiBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 782 votes
    5y

    I would get a pretty good plan on what needs to be done in  details, invite multiple GC to give you their price and listen their suggestions, and list main items to figure out what materials costs are ( home depot even have calculators to decide how much drywall etc to use)

    and lastly, reading estimating rehab cost can be helpful as well.

  • Property Manager · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    It sounds like you're using an FHA 203k Renovation Loan, since you intend to borrow repair costs from your lender. If thats the case than there will be a 203k Consultant involved (assuming its not a Streamline loan, which based on the numbers you're throwing out it doesn't sound like it will be). The consultant will help you put together a SOW and budget for the job. Talk to your lender I'm sure they can recommend someone.

    Also make sure your lender, consultant, and GC are all very familiar with the 203k process. If they aren't then consider working with someone else who is (I have a great referral for you if you PM me).

  • Real Estate Agent · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 543 votes
    5y

    @Luke Councell

    @Joe Norman provided some good tips. To expand on them, here is some additional info:

    On a 203k, the lender is required to actually select the 203k Consultant for the borrower (Reference HUD SFH 4000.1).

    and @Joe Norman tip on working with professionals who have experience with rehab loans like the 203k is spot on perfect! You're only as strong as your weakest link ... select your partners wisely. 

  • Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    I am having an inspection done tomorrow, $450. We are waiving the asbestos ($200), (possible asbestos containing vinyl in kitchen, which we will either cover up with vinyl plank, or remediate once we actually own the house, and lead ($300). Again, as this can be mitigated instead of abated, we are waiving until we actually own the house. I'm not paying an additional $500 on a house that we may not even obtain.

    Foundation and structural beams look good. No wear to speak of visually. Likely will need an all new roof, and possibly struts, rafters, etc. Ceiling is a definite. 

    Has an 800-gallon holding tank, will need septic install. Soil is in restricted soil area (perc test will be available in Feb in our area).


    Keeping in mind this is a 1/2 acre plot with 1/4 acre plot across the street, 5-6 outbuildings (chicken coop, outhouse, garage, ~100 sq ft shed w/ electric, cinderblock smokehouse, fire pit, and other shed). We have enough room for our hobbies and pets, gardens, and is only 20 minutes from Liberty Mountain (possible short-term rental opportunity, but we also ski so passive bonus). We feel having a $1200 mortgage (currently $600 less than what we currently pay), building equity, possible rental opportunities, room for hobbies and pets, and the knowledge gained by this project may be worth the risk as long as we can accommodate the major repairs (roof, septic). 

    Any advice on a septic/alternative septic install on a small <1000 sq ft home for 2 people, as well as re-tophousing a tin-roof? I say top housing because the roof isnt what needs replacing. We'll need a whole new top of house (~500 sq ft?).

    I have purchased the book y'all recommended. I can definitely see the value in spending $25 for some knowledge that will obviously save me more than that in the long run. Paying for quality is part of the strategy. Will report back after inspection. 

  • Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Hello friends,

    Inspection went well. Nothing we didn't know. A little asbestos tile in the shed and porch, and lead paint. Definitely needs a new roof. 

    Unfortunately, I am kind of a dumbass and didn't realize that a conventional loan has to be the purchase price, something my realtor missed :/ I was under the impression that a 203(k) vs conventional with borrowing for rehab would be like the difference between a 3.5% down Conventional, and an FHA. Turns out you cannot do that. @Joe Norman and @ Paul Weldon were right on the money.

    So with that in mind, I am exploring 203(k) options and possibly conventional and just a personal loan for the rehab. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.