Specialist · Carmichael, CA · Member since 2017 · 33 posts · 14 votes
Hello,
I'm new to Note Investing and will be taking some education courses to help me learn the business. I realize this isn't an easy business to get into, it take time, effort, money, and myriad more things in combination to be successful. Education being only one component.
I've seen 2 courses recommended here; PaperSource Note Pro ($397) and NoteMogul Training ($497). I would like to ask people here who've either taken the courses, have experience with them, or otherwise have relevant information about them to give me their feedback.
Have you taken one or both of the courses? If so, what did you like and dislike about them?
If you've taken both, do you prefer one over the other and why?
Would you take them again?
Do you think they are helpful to a new Note investor?
Can I get a better return on my money with a different product, ie. a book, course, webinar, ebook, etc?
Did the course accomplish it's goal of educating you on the business and to how be successful?
Your input is greatly appreciated, thank you.
Thomas Turner
FYI:
I've read most of the Note articles on BP and Dave's 99 page PDF on Note Investing.
Murphy, TX · Member since 2014 · 20 posts · 21 votes
8y
So here is my take. I haven't done any of the mentoring programs available from Eddie Speed or Scott Carson (both mentoring programs run $15K or more) but I've taken intro courses from both Eddie and Scott. I took Eddie's 3-day intro courses on nonperforming and performing notes. That was about $1K or so. The time and info was worth it as a good intro, but then there was a hard sell for Eddie's mentoring program. I've also taken Scott Carson's Virtual Note Buying for Dummies ($700) and attended his Note Camp. Both of those were worth it and didn't hard sell the mentoring program. I thought Eddie's course was a better explanation of legalities, but Eddie has done this for many decades and some of his practices don't seem that current compared to Scott's. For me, Scott's course had a much better focus on marketing, including social media marketing, and asset acquisition. Scott also puts out a ton of info for free. Check out his podcasts on weclosenotes.tv for replays.
A new education option that just became available is the Note Investing Academy. I thought the course was comprehensive, well sequenced, and definitely worth the pre-launch $2K price I paid. Three different instructors present videos on their areas of expertise. For example, there's a 1+ hour video with an ex-kindergarten teacher turned note investor explaining how to do due diligence on a tape. There is a video with nuts and bolts of collateral file review, including documents used with contracts for deed. A marketing guru explains branding and social media marketing. There's a section on setting up your company. This course seemed to me to have everything in one place, without spending days or signing up for a mentoring program to get to critical missing information. They have taken a lot of time to make the videos complete but concise. This course is still being finalized but you might want to check it out.
And of course, these are just my impressions. Your mileage may vary.
Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 940 posts · 695 votes
9y
I don't know about either of those. We are going to http://noteschool.com/ in a few weeks. I'll let you know how it is. My husband went to their one day seminar and thought it was useful.
If anyone else reading this has an opinion on Note School, I'd like to hear it as well!
I don't know about either of those. We are going to http://noteschool.com/ in a few weeks. I'll let you know how it is. My husband went to their one day seminar and thought it was useful.
If anyone else reading this has an opinion on Note School, I'd like to hear it as well!
Thanks!
I hadn't heard about that one. I'll check it out too. Thanks Elizabeth.
Investor · Kingston, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y
NoteSchool is run by Eddie Speed and Colonial Capital. Its an excellent resource to learn about note investing, although it is not inexpensive. My partner @Kevin Moen is a Noteschool student and has gotten tremendous value from his enrollment and activities in the program.
Investor · Newark, DE · Member since 2015 · 248 posts · 178 votes
9y
Scott Carson puts on a Virtual seminar Virtual Note Buying for Dummies every couple of months, he also has free webinars on Mondays. I have been through these courses and found plenty of value in them. Whichever one you chose, it is going to be a tidal wave of info. Take your time and remember, slow and steady wins the race.
Specialist · Carmichael, CA · Member since 2017 · 33 posts · 14 votes
9y
@Jay Raught, Thanks for turning me onto Scott Carson's training. I've enrolled and will be stating the class today as a matter of fact.
@Bob Malecki, Thank you as well for the recommendations. I've ordered the book you recommended and I've also enrolled in Eddie Speed's Free 5 Day Workshop to see how I like the coursework. If I like what I see and hear, I may take their course as well.
@Scott Carson, Got it. I've been listening to the NoteMBA podcast too. Lately it feels like I've been drinking from a firehouse. I've been taking in as much information as I can to learn about this business. As I listen and watch different people teach and talk about the different strategies they employ in their Note business I'm developing a sense for which strategies I can use to fulfill my goals in this business. Education then building relationships. Those are the first two things I'm pursuing.
There are several events coming up that I intend to attend to start networking and getting in person training. One is the Think Realty Group Event on Feb 18 in San Diego, CA. The other is the PaperSource Symposium in April. I'm especially excited about attending this one. Kurt DeMeire will be giving a briefing at the foreclosure auction and I expect that being there seeing it happen will resonate deeper than the classroom training.
The next few months promise to be filled with tons of opportunities to get educated.
Investor · Saint Bruno De Montarville, Québec · Member since 2016 · 49 posts · 35 votes
9y
@Account Closed won't let you get away with sitting on your laurels so he's a good start.
Back to your original question, I've been going to Papersource for the last 5 or 6 years and it has always been a source of great content and networking. I'll be speaking at this year's conference so I hope to see you there!
Specialist · Carmichael, CA · Member since 2017 · 33 posts · 14 votes
9y
@Nathan Turner, I plan to implement the steps Scott is laying out in the course. Re: The PaperSource Symposium, I hope to see you there and network.
@Chase Thompson, I've been listening to the NoteMBA Podcast and have really gotten a lot out of them. Thanks and keep'em comin. I'll reach out to you once I'm done with Scott's training to see how to move forward and keep the momentum going. I really like what you had to say about getting real with yourself if you want to be serious about this or anything else. It was a kick in the necessary in the teeth I needed to hear.
@Mark Gustafson, I've heard about that book. I may be reading it next. What do you think the books strong points are? Who should be reading it? A beginning investor, a seasoned pro, or a mid level investor.
Investor · Kingston, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y
@Mark Gustafson, Fuquan's book provides a great overview of the distressed debt investing processes and procedures for both first and second position notes.
Specialist · Carmichael, CA · Member since 2017 · 33 posts · 14 votes
9y
I just completed 's VNBFD course and I have to say it was packed with actionable steps to get my Note business off the ground. I don't have any experience with other trainers approach so I can't comment on their courses apart from NoteSchools' helpful and informative 5-part series on Note Investing.
I can speak on the VNBFD course which itself is just the tip of the WeBuyNotes iceberg. Over the course of 3 days I feel like the course offered the type of information you can make money using. Of course I have yet to do so, but I'm no neophyte to business having run another business in the years prior to getting into Note investing. The information VNBFD trains you on is actionable. It's honest and straight forward with no beating around the bush. It's the type of information that forces you to s*it or get off the pot. Pardon the french, but it's an apt reference. I'm working on getting my business structure done over the course of the next several days.
Specialist · Carmichael, CA · Member since 2017 · 33 posts · 14 votes
9y
@Chase Thompson, now that I've complete the VNBFD course I'm keeping the velocity going by getting right into working on completing items from my "One Things" list. Number 1, Have Business Entity Created before Friday, Feb 10, 2017. To that end, I have a question which I posed in the class, but I'll pose it here in case others have the same question.
How would you about creating two portions of the business? For example, should I structure my business along the lines of a legal entity in the LLC and underneath that I have another business for the internet marketing presence to help raise capital and show fund managers that I'm serious.
I am really liking that investing in Notes is a way to help relieve some of the pressure from struggling borrowers.
Yes, in the small balance space like under $150K, these borrowers are generally glad that an investor wants to work with them and keep them in their home. Also, the loan payments on a low balance note like these are generally lower than rent payments so its kind of a no brainer for the borrower to "stay and pay" if they have the financial means to do so. Lastly, banks are not doing any financing for loans below $50K, so providing lending on these lower end properties provides a great solution for those who want to own and can only afford this range.