Votes |
Can someone please explain the Jefferson County, Alabama Tax Sale

Bryan Miles
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Birmingham, AL
Posted Jun 10 2017, 11:33

Hello BP Community,

I am blown away with an experience that is playing out right now, in regards to the tax sale that just took place in Jefferson County, Alabama. My hope is, I have been clear enough with this post that someone can  please lead me down a path of least resistance and without having to get an attorney involved. Thanks in advance.

I am really hoping there is someone with the experience and knowledge that can help.

The company I work for is attempting to purchase a property who's taxes were bought at the tax sale. This is the first year the seller of the property missed paying his taxes. In attempting to help the seller, who is out of state, I went to the tax collectors office to find out what needs to be done to redeem the taxes. The ladies behind the counter could not have been more helpful They are truly above the bar. I was told the taxes were purchased for what was owed. The purchaser is actually in this chat thread. The purchaser who paid a little over $700 turned and sold the tax certificate to another person in the amount of $2,500. I sent a certified letter with the papers for them to sign, along with a self addressed stamped envelope to the individual who paid the $2,500. I received a letter today and the individual who paid $2,500 has sent us a total amount due of $7,263.83. This includes the taxes owed of $734.01+interest and $6,529.82 for the mold remediation, debris removal and door repair.

So, here is my quesiton. CAN THEY DO THIS? They bought the taxes less than a few weeks ago and they are telling us they did over $6,000 worth of work. This does not seem right.

The good in all this is you learn the nature of people. Also, we have pictures time and date stamped prior to the tax sell taking place. We have contacted an attorney, which in my opinion is so unnecessary. We are going to ask for the invoices from the parties who did the $6,500+ worth of work and the attorney said, "we will subpoena all parties and get to the bottom of this".

Again, of my many questions, can a person who bought the taxes go into a house, clean it out, do mold remediation and fix a door on a property that they do not hold any type of a deed too? If they actually did go in, I have the only set of keys as far as I know, I would think this would be considered breaking in.

Someone please tell me the law without having to pay an attorney. 

Loading replies...