Passive Investing in large multifamily or commercial

Passive Investing in large multifamily or commercial

Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 2 votes

Curious to know who has invested with passive investing  firms such as CrowdStreet, Ashcroft, Goodegg etc. How was your experience? 

0Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Syndicator · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 907 votes
7y

Haven't invested in any of the big names but as a syndicator I'd suggest researching the operators.  Ashcroft definitely has an experienced operator!

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Syndicator · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 907 votes
    7y

    Haven't invested in any of the big names but as a syndicator I'd suggest researching the operators.  Ashcroft definitely has an experienced operator!

  • Rental Property Investor · Sacramento · Member since 2019 · 129 posts · 108 votes
    7y

    I have invested in several, you want to make sure you pick one that has experienced operators, and a good deal,

    and I always like the value add deals better.

  • United States · Member since 2015 · 401 posts · 394 votes
    7y

    Just to clarify what @Brock Mogensen said, Ashcroft IS the Operator for their deals. Syndicator, Sponsor and Operator are often used interchangeably, but they actually refer to different things. Sometimes groups are one or the other, sometimes they are both. I recommend starting your syndication due diligence with understanding the difference.

    Always happy to help so feel free to message me.

  • Rental Property Investor · Glen Rock, NJ · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Elliott Huffard

    The brand you mentioned operate in different capacities in the world of syndications. So it will not be an apples to apples comparison looking at these three. I suggest you make a list of crowdfunding platforms to check out and then look at the operators that present their offers through them. 
    I'd do the same thing for the syndicators outside of the crowdfunding platforms - create a list and go through it.

    Note, there's another subset of companies that operates as a private equity partner - they should also be evaluated separately.

    Feel free to reach out if this is confusing.

    Here's a post that should help you clarify things a bit:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/10850/8...

  • Ian IppolitoBusiness Member
    Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Elliott Huffard:

    Curious to know who has invested with passive investing  firms such as CrowdStreet, Ashcroft, Goodegg etc. How was your experience? 

    Elliott, passive multifamily and commercial make up a substantial part of my real estate portfolio. The options you're talking about their very different (and also just a small subset of what is available). If you are an aggressive investor then you will find thousands of deals to choose from every month. If you are conservative, then there will be far less.

    CrowdStreet is one of about 100 crowdfunding platforms. It has one of the highest volumes of deals (along with RealCrowd). ArborCrowd is another top-tier platform that has potentially interesting deals (although less volume) and there are others as well.

    I hadn't heard of Ashcroft before, but when I visited their site, Malwarebytes blocked it as phishing. It could be a false positive, but the bottom line is that I couldn't review them. If you are a conservative investor, there are a couple of sponsors that I have invested in that have full estate cycle experience or more with little or no money lost. They market privately under 506B so they cannot publicly solicit. If you want more information, PM Me.

    I had also never heard of Good Egg Just Signed up and am waiting on them to approve my account.

    The Real Estate Crowdfunding Review
    View Page
  • John FortesPro Member
    Multi-Family Syndicator · Abington, MA · Member since 2017 · 603 posts · 347 votes
    7y

    As others have mentioned, just define your criteria, explore the different options each have to offer and then go about exploring the opportunities that come from them. 

    Do everything you would do if you were to go buy a new TV. You would determine what you want, locate the brands you like that meet your needs, then compare the products. Don't just go by anyone's word. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.