Free Rich Dad Seminar?

Free Rich Dad Seminar?

Rental Property Investor · Winter Park, FL · Member since 2014 · 64 posts · 13 votes

Has anyone been to one of Rich Dad's free seminars?  There's one coming up in my area and wondering if it's worth going to.  I just read the first book. I am sure they will attempt to sell more courses, but is there anything different you can get from the seminar that you can't in the books?

0Reply
67 views

Most Popular Reply

Allen, TX · Member since 2014 · 74 posts · 22 votes
12y
I went to one of the Rich Dad seminars a few months ago. They hype the potential of real estate investing and try to get you to buy a ticket to the next training. They are rah rah and say, "don't you want to leave your job and have your own business?" About 100 times. They tell you it's so easy. Honestly I like the rich dad message, but this seminar tarnishes the brand. Don't go. You won't learn anything. At least not from the initial free seminar.
See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 146 posts · 91 votes
    12y

    @Meghan Helbick there is more knowledge and actionable items in the BP community.  Use the keyword alerts and search function.

    I would search for yellow letters, postcards, and a major city in your area.  Build a small knowledge base then put together a marketing campaign.  Get your phone to ring and get in front of motivated sellers.

    You don't need that seminar to take action.

  • Rental Property Investor · Winter Park, FL · Member since 2014 · 64 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    @Jerred Morris thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.  I am in the "learning phase" right now, trying to learn a bit more about what I want to do before I jump into something.  Not to worry though, I have an action plan and timeline laid out for when I buy my first property.  It's only been a few weeks of looking into this so I have a ways to go, I feel like a sponge just soaking in everything I can find.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 146 posts · 91 votes
    12y

    @Meghan Helbick just don't get stuck in the learning phase.  It's a common pitfall.  Everyone wants to be an expert before they begin.  They're waiting for the perfect time and it never comes.

    The best advice I can give you is to setup a direct mail campaign and stick with it for at least 6 months.  The probabilities are on your side for closing a 5k - 10k deal.  You just have to take the plunge.

    @Jerry Puckett is great for this

    @Michael Quarles is another great resource.

    Make it happen!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Winter Park, FL · Member since 2014 · 64 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    @Jerred Morris thanks for the advice!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    @Jerred Morris 

    What timing... I just finished a podcast on NO MONEY Marketing and how to find deals without spending any money....

  • Allen, TX · Member since 2014 · 74 posts · 22 votes
    12y
    I went to one of the Rich Dad seminars a few months ago. They hype the potential of real estate investing and try to get you to buy a ticket to the next training. They are rah rah and say, "don't you want to leave your job and have your own business?" About 100 times. They tell you it's so easy. Honestly I like the rich dad message, but this seminar tarnishes the brand. Don't go. You won't learn anything. At least not from the initial free seminar.
  • Rental Property Investor · Winter Park, FL · Member since 2014 · 64 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    @Jason Jones thank you!  I won't go, sounds like a waste of time.  I already know I want to be in this business, so sounds like it won't do much.

    Have you ever played their game Cashflow?

  • Investor · Staten Island, NY · Member since 2013 · 484 posts · 197 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Meghan Helbick:

     but is there anything different you can get from the seminar that you can't in the books?

    No, there is not. 

    I attended one of their free seminars 2 years ago in New York City. They sold me and my friend another 3 days seminar for $199. 3 days they talk how easy it is to buy and sell real estate and make money. Meanwhile, they tried to sell us another classes for 12k-66k. Of course I did not buy it. I knew there is other way to learn and I found biggerpockets.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 281 posts · 110 votes
    12y

    I remember attending one a few years back...while I thought it was too much oversell I did learn a few things as I was a new investor then.  

    I think it's worth the experience..although I certainly would not pay for their courses.  If you don't learn anything, you will at least know what all the other noobies in your area will be focusing on!

  • Rental Property Investor · Winter Park, FL · Member since 2014 · 64 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    @Andriy Boychuk 

     @Joshua Springer 

    Thanks for the input, seems like I can find out more from you all on here.  

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    If you go to the seminar, they'll give you just enough info to make you have more questions than answers. Then they'll basically make it sound like you are not trying to be successful if you don't purchase their course package.

    Those course will be thousands of dollars. 
    I don't think you should go to the seminar. The books are good, but notice how he never really tells you HOW to do things? He's mostly about inspiring.

    Read on this website for tons of free knowledge. See if your area has a REIA and attend those meetings. Absolutely your best options before learning by doing. :-)

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    12y

    The consensus at BP Nation has spoken, but I will reiterate because I have attended one and also have years of experience under my belt. These events have NOTHING to do with the book and the guys running them simply pay to use that name. It is a scam to get you all pumped up and excited and then pull out your credit card to buy there expensive seminars and training programs which are regurgitated info you can find for free from real life investors right here on BP. Time is money too, so don't waste your money OR your time going to these events.

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    You got plenty of rich dads and poor dads right here on bp. Rich or poor it is all free and incredibly helpful real world stuff. I have never read the book but if you already get the philosophy that is all you need from them.

    Thanks,

    matt

  • Lender · San Rafael, CA · Member since 2014 · 18 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    I had a similar experience to the one @Jason Jones had.  Great book, but the seminar was a lot of hype which was going to get alot of people into financial trouble if they were not careful. Please be safe.

  • Rental Property Investor · Winter Park, FL · Member since 2014 · 64 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    @Will Barnard @Nicole A. @Matt R. 

    Thank you all again, amazed at how many responses I got, that alone shows me I'm in a good place!

  • Professional · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 169 posts · 64 votes
    12y

    @Meghan Helbick I received the RD Hall of Fame in 2013 from Robert and Kim, and with that being said here is my take. The first free event is about an hour long expo of hype with a final sales pitch getting you to attend their 3 day seminar that will "end all your problems". The three day will give you a reasonably good oversight into the possibilities that can come from investing as well as the different strategies that you may be able to pursue. The three day class, for 199, really wasn't all that bad and a reasonable networking event.

    DO NOT BUY THE ELITE TRAINING CLASSES.

    The classes are "theory" more so than "application". RDE is such a large company they are hyper sensitive to litigation so make their education so mellow that you could Google a topic and come away with as much info. On the other side of that statement is that RDE is HUGE. I met many, many quality people, PM sources, as well as JV partnerships from these events. Again though, you can find these opportunities elsewhere.

    Last and final disclaimer - I bought two RDE classes, and then after getting into the system I found that I could purchase unwanted classes from other students for as little as a few hundred a piece. I completed the entire RDE circuit minus very few classes (there's over 15 of em). Since attending RDE my business has skyrocketed and do not regret it at all; I just feel that if you are seeking education you can find much better at a far better price. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Winter Park, FL · Member since 2014 · 64 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    @Daniel Moore Good to know from someone who has done it.  Thank you!

  • Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2009 · 483 posts · 228 votes
    12y

    @Meghan Helbick  you can go to the seminar, just leave your wallet at home. 

    "If the seminar is free, there you wont find me"

    -Dwayne

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Oh yeah, they also get you to do "homework" by calling your credit cards to request your limit be raised. Then you use all that new money to buy courses. lol

  • Real Estate Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    12y
    Daniel Moore I just attended the three day course in San Antonio. I am a new investor. I was fortunate to have run into BP before I attended, but not before I bought the three day course. I was warned off from buying the Elite training. But I question where then do I expose myself to the info offered through the online portion of RD? That part made me want in.
  • Durham, NC · Member since 2013 · 502 posts · 215 votes
    12y

    I am sure there is some new info to get from the free seminar. But it is mostly an upsale event. If you go, leave your credit card at home. They are good in creating a buying atmosphere. 

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Cynthia Vaughn What info specifically were you hoping for from the online portion of Rich Dad? Whatever it is, I'm willing to bet you can find it here on this site, from connections you meet, and from your local REIA group.

  • Littleton, CO · Member since 2014 · 195 posts · 72 votes
    12y

    The podcast on this website have much more targeted information.  New ones come out every Thursday.  I need to listen to more of them myself.

    Create an outline or flowchart of what you want to know about REI.

    Then search on this site in the forums and podcast's for the info. 

    After that, set some goals.  Most people do better when they see their goals listed on paper.  Others like to put them in their profile on BP and then they can post later when they met their goals.

    Attend meetings of Real Estate Investment Associations or Clubs.

    Here is one that is near you. Central Florida Realty Investors Association, Inc.

    CFRI , and their website is here : www.cfri.net

     This group looks very active and they put out a monthly newsletter.  Their annual membership fee is $150.  Their website has a link to print out a free guest pass.  Well worth it as just the networking time of the meeting can be a very good way to get contacts in the various facets of RE Investing.  

    Attend more than one as they usually will let you be a visitor or guest to a meeting for free and it will give you an opportunity to see how different groups hold meetings and events. 

    Have you looked for meetups of other BP members in your area?   They are strictly a no pitch type of meetings but a great way to meet some RE investors in a relaxed environment.  

    I have read many reviews from unhappy people that attended RDPD Seminars and then were told to try to get their Credit Card limits raised so they could then spend $10K or more on the up sells.  

    Whenever I go to a free seminar I leave my checkbook at home. I tell them that I will not be purchasing anything that day.  If they try and tell me that they are doing a limited special pricing only good for that day, I walk out without hesitation.  If their product or training is as good as they state,  they should not have to do a "buy today" special.  

    Have a great day,

    Rob

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Yes, that is correct. They "teach" you how to make money...and that is by telling you to call your credit cards and ask for a higher limit. Then you use those cards to spend $10K in courses. Please don't do it. If you're gonna just throw $10K like that, you might as well put it towards a rental property or something. This stuff isn't rocket science. 

  • Professional · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 169 posts · 64 votes
    12y

    @Cynthia Vaughn - I liked RD, but their education wasn't as strong as what i would say you could get in the local marketplace for a fraction of the cost. I like Lifeonaire, they have strong education at a low cost. I personally like the "seminar" style education, it engages me better and i learn faster. Some of the best things i think i could recommend is find a local mentor already in the business willing to work with you, either in a REIA or elsewhere, and learn from them. Much cheaper, and probably a better education.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.