Cost of replacing main water line in Chcagoland

8 Replies

Does any one have idea how much it will cost to replace a lead pipe main water line. I am looking to purchase a slightly distressed property and the village inspector is requesting the roof to be changed and water line to be replaced.

Call your local DIG number

Go rent a trencher probably $200/day

Run the trencher keeping in mind sloping down to city water

THEN hire a plumber

I think you'll save yourself $5k minimum

No idea on a price there - but I would definitely get a few quotes. Here in PA, three quotes for a sewer line replacement were $5K, 8K and 12K. Big difference.

Two quotes here for a new water service were $4600 and $5800. Again, pretty big difference for the same work.

@Jay Thomas -- where exactly in the Chicago area? We are a licensed GC in Chicago but we are also a licensed sewer and water contractor. Let me know what town and I can get you a pretty accurate idea of price. 

Had a few quotes on two of my properties and both came in around $15k. There may be savings if they don't have to go to the other side of the street. 

How much do you have to replace is the question, from stack to street? or from outside the house to the street? 

Cost will vary a lot and now that the ground is frozen probably be a greater fee. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you