My first BRRRRR project

My first BRRRRR project

Rental Property Investor · Edmonton · Member since 2020 · 54 posts · 38 votes

Hi all, I wanted to share my experience with my first project as a real estate invest

or.

I am 30 years old and live in Edmonton Alberta with my wife and three kids (2,4,5), I am a land surveyor and just starting my life as a real estate investor.

It started with a book; you know the one. Rich Dad Poor Dad. That led to many other books and then to bigger pockets. After I felt I knew enough to get started (I think a couple of years) I decided to lean into my strong areas. Being a construction worker and a handy guy, I decided to buy something that I could work on to force appreciation. Then I would rent it out and refinance it, in short BRRRR.

My wife has been looking after the kids full time since our first was born, but fortunately we were able to save some money. I did alright at playing with the stock market but hated it. After about 8 years of luck with the stock market and saving some money here and there we had $40,000 which we decided to use as a down payment for our first rental house. Any further costs from renovating would come out of our line of credit. Then the hope was that at the end of the renos we could re-finance the house and pay off our line of credit. Whatever house we found would have to be $200,000 so that we could put a 20% down payment on it.

I bought a house in NE Edmonton (a not so savory area, but an area on an upswing) that was in need of some major repairs. It was exactly $200,000. This place had tarps on the roof, holes in the floor a 60-year-old furnace and so much more. As a Land Surveyor I do a lot of CAD drafting, so I drafted a model of the house in perfect scale and came up with a detailed sketch of what I wanted the house to look like. I really geeked out on this part, I had every foot of wire, every plumbing fitting, every drywall patch labeled and accounted for. Then it was time to start the spread sheets. I really geeked out. All of this planning actually happened during the closing process and before I had possession. This worked to my benefit because I really got to wrap my head around the project before I started any work.

I got possession in Novembe

r 2020 and began work. I gutted the kitchen and bathroom. I ripped out all of the existing electrical throughout the house. I had an electrician upgrade the power from a 40-amp service to a 200-amp service, this would give me room to develop it into a duplex later (the next phase of my plan). I had the furnace replaced. I re-shingled the roof. I designed and built an Ikea kitchen with a double layer of upper cabinets, 30” uppers with glass doors and 15” upper uppers on top of them, an island and all built in appliances. I had granite countertops put in. I tiled the backsplash and tub surround. I replaced the floors with luxury vinyl plank, I replaced all the doors, and all the trim. Lastly, I painted the place. This all took quite a while as I have a 50-60 hour a week job during the summer months and I tried to do all the work myself. Each thing I took on was a new experience and each time it was scary at first, then I would research how to do it. Then all I had to do was buy the supplies and execute on what I had just learned. After each part was completed, I was amazed, I did it, and it even looks alright.

Doing the work was fun, scary, boring, and satisfying at different parts, but the part I was truly nervous for was coming. I didn’t know anyone in real estate who could validate my ideas or progress, I didn’t have any second opinions and I didn’t have any promises that this would even work. I was not sure if the bank would refinance the house. I had confidence in the house as a valuable asset but it was only my best guess as to what it was worth, and if the project was a success.

So here are the numbers. I bought it for $200,000 with a $40,000 down payment. The reno cost (there was next to no labor charges) was $44,600 and the holding costs from November 2020 to August 2021 were $9,500 (mortgage, insurance, utilities, interest on line of credit). I did not have $500 available to me in any form of credit by the end… It was pretty grim, but it was time to rent it out. I screened the tenants scrupulously and found a great couple. They moved in September 2021, and pay $1,450 a month and all the utilities. In November 2021 I went to the bank to refinance and was approved! They sent out an appraiser and assessed the house to be worth $300,000! The whole thing worked! BRRRR really works! We have the house, rental income, and we got a cheque for $79,000 from the bank.

I did not waste a minute. I started drawing up plans for the basement right away. I put together all of my pictures, spread sheets, drawings, receipts and closed the folder on my first real estate project.

Now I am separating the basement into a Legal separate dwelling to make the house an up/down duplex. The project is already underway.

16Reply
189 views

Most Popular Reply

Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2020 · 14 posts · 4 votes
4y

Awesome post, well done. Thanks for sharing.

See this reply in the discussion

40 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Edmonton · Member since 2020 · 54 posts · 38 votes
    4y

    @Jay Mao

    Hi Jay, this is a bit of a delayed response but if the listing is still relevant please send it my way in a message, I would love to talk about it with you. As far as asbestos, I can’t speak for all the houses in the area but I think at that time the main problem was the tape they used for the HVAC systems. You should speak to a pro about it but to the best of my knowledge, as long as you do not plan on disturbing it there isn’t a problem. That being said I chose to have it removed as I was changing out the hvac system anyway. The cost is really not a deal breaker, ask around for quotes but it should be in the neighbourhood of $2000-$3000. 

  • I​nvestor & Agent · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Great story, love the inspiration 

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    @Marshall Magnus congrats! I might be missing it but what was the LTV on the refinance? You said it was appraised at $300K - did you get 75% out, 80% out? Thanks.

  • Investor · Suffolk, NY · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    That is amazing story and what courage to take that on. I would like to ask a few questions if I may?

    Did You gut the entire house to replace all the electrical?

    Do You have contractor experience, that kitchen looks amazing?

    Did You replace the furnace Yourself? 

    Between the holding and vacancy would the cost of labor bin excessively more then 20k (Your holding cost plus Potential rent)?

  • Rental Property Investor · Edmonton · Member since 2020 · 54 posts · 38 votes
    4y

    @Nicholas L.

    You didn't miss it I forgot to put that detail in. When we did the refinance the new bank gave us 80% LTV. So off the new appraised value of $300,000 they retained 20% and direct deposited the difference into my bank account. Thanks for the comment by the way, I never would've thought too include that detail, but it is an interesting piece of the whole process.

  • Rental Property Investor · Edmonton · Member since 2020 · 54 posts · 38 votes
    4y

    @PAUL BERGEN
    Thanks Paul, I appreciate it!

    Actually I really didn’t do any (not much anyway) demo to do the electrical work, and that was a terrible idea. I had thought it would be less work overall to fish all of the new electrical from the attic and from the basement to the old and new electrical boxes. So I removed the boxes ran the circuits from the new electrical panel around the house, through the basement and attic, then fished the wires through the walls. The connections were made with the box out of the wall and then the box was fastened back in the spot it came from. the old wires were all disconnected and ripped out or abandoned in the wall. This added so much time, it would have been way faster to cut a channel in the drywall. Maybe the way I did it was best in some of the situations but not for most of the plugs. I did add a minimum of four recessed lights to each room as well as track lights dome lights pendant lights and hanging center piece lights, as well as smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, for this I had to spend some time in the attic anyway. I did remove the drywall in the bathroom and the kitchen, the electrical work in there happened considerably faster. I should have clued in at that point. Now I know better for next time.

    Haha no contractor experience. But I did lean on YouTube pretty heavily. It all looks impressive when it’s finished but none of it is much more difficult than swinging a hammer at a nail or painting a board. Seriously though, the experts on YouTube provide a tremendous help. I really didn’t need to know how to do anything going in, it was enough to know that I would have to assemble a kitchen cabinet, and that I would learn when it was time. Until it was time to actually do it I just had to assure myself that it would not be that difficult and I would learn how when it was time to do it. Once it was done I felt like someone who knew about assembling kitchen cabinets, not an expert of course but that might come with time. Each scope of work was a mystery going in and each time a scope was completed, my confidence in my ability to do the next step was higher. Of course I called the city to make sure that things were code compliant and called pros to ask questions, and got all of the relevant inspections, but seriously, YouTube..

    There were a few things I did hire out as an owner is not allowed to complete their own gas fitting work or install a new electrical panel and main power service. So I did hire an HVAC company to replace the furnace and a master electrician to upgrade the electrical service from 40amp to 200amp. Besides, HVAC work seems very disagreeable to me, so I am happy to hire it out.

    I am not sure I understand your last question, but I will try my best to answer. The holding costs would have been much less if I had hired out the labor. The project took me the better part of a year to complete on my own while working a full-time job. This meant that the holding costs were quite high but I saved nearly all of the labour cost. The real benefit to it was learning in a very exact way what goes in to a project like this. Now I would be able to complete the project faster or I would hire out more of the work and save in the holding costs.

    I tend to get a bit rambly but I hope this has helped. Thanks for the great questions!

  • Rental Property Investor · Edmonton, AB · Member since 2022 · 61 posts · 15 votes
    4y

    Hi Marshall,

    Im looking at your story as my insparation to get my foot in the door.  Glad everything turned out the wat you planned.  Hoping to ask some advise as i am planning something similiar.  Love your story.

    Where did you get the 200k to purchase, private lending or bank? What was the whole process for refinancing?

    thanks,

    Ian

  • Calgary, AB · Member since 2021 · 327 posts · 176 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Ian Dale Ibrado:

    Hi Marshall,

    Im looking at your story as my insparation to get my foot in the door.  Glad everything turned out the wat you planned.  Hoping to ask some advise as i am planning something similiar.  Love your story.

    Where did you get the 200k for a dp? Whats the difficulty in having it refinanced?

    thanks,

    Ian

    I think the entire property was 200k.
  • Rental Property Investor · Edmonton · Member since 2020 · 54 posts · 38 votes
    4y

    hi @Ian Dale Ibrado

    @Stevo Sun nailed it. The purchase price of the house was $200,000. I had to put $40,000 down (because a rental property Is not covered by CMHC so you will need a 20% down payment)  which I had saved up through Stocks over about a decade. I didn’t save it for Real Estate, but after a couple years of paying attention to real estate books and  BiggerPockets I decided to get into real estate. 
    The refinance process was not complicated at all as I had a mortgage broker to work through it with me and for me. The only advice I have on refinancing is first of all to use a mortgage broker and second of all talk to them about your entire plan before you start anything. Make sure that your mortgage broker knows you were planning to refinance the house and make sure that you will be able to be approved for the refinance price after renters move in. The details for the refinance will have two main differences from your original finance, the first is hopefully the house value has gone up significantly, the second is that you will now have renters in place in the bank will account for 50% of the monthly rental income  as income in your name. once your rehab is done and renters are in place with a signed lease agreement then you can go back to your broker to begin the refinance. Again just make sure you run the numbers on your property two times once for your original purchase price and once for your refinanced price as this might change whether or not the property can cash flow if the mortgage amount goes up by several hundred dollars a month. But truly it is quite a bit more simple than you probably think as long as you just take it one step at a time and have that professional in place to help you.  

    I do not have nearly the amount of experience that most of the veterans on here do, but I think I will do a post on refinancing as there has been so much interest in it. 
    Thanks for the questions, and good luck out there!

  • Rental Property Investor · Edmonton, AB · Member since 2022 · 61 posts · 15 votes
    4y

    Thanks For your response.  Your situation works well for me as it is more realistic and attainable to my situation

    I may have said it incorrectly. Im clear on the 40k dp. Im just wondering if you paid for the unit from a bank then refinanced with the same bank? Asking because, oftentimes i hear people saying to BRRRR by buying a the unit from a private lender then refinance with the bank.


    I might just be confused or over thinking?

    thanks

  • Rental Property Investor · Edmonton · Member since 2020 · 54 posts · 38 votes
    4y

    @Ian Dale Ibrado

    I went with a bank for the original loan and another bank for the refinance. I child see that if someone did not qualify for the original loan with a bank that they might want to go with private money and then switch to a bank after the refinance, but you had better be sure you can qualify for the refinance with the bank before starting the project. The refinance is easier than the original loan because if you ran the numbers on it properly than you should be able to account for a rental income that is double or more than the mortgage amount. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Edmonton, AB · Member since 2022 · 61 posts · 15 votes
    4y

    Thats what i wanted to know.  Looking to buy maybe next yr.  Houses are too expensive.  

    thanks for your response.

    Ian

  • Ogden, UT · Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    @Marshall Magnus thanks for sharing!

  • Member since 2022 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    Congrats Marshall, what a success. Kudos to you!

  • Real Estate Agent · Layton, UT · Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    Congratulations! The kitchen looks fantastic!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.