Investor · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 60 posts · 33 votes
Newly acquired property.
I knew this renovation was going to be a doozy. Although, I didn't know it was this bad. When I went to clean the place after the previous tenant moved out, I learned real quick how bad it was.
The worst part of it all was the stench. The combination of rotting food, rat droppings, and general decay was overwhelming. The apartment was uninhabitable. Not sure how the tenant survived. The smell was incredible. I started with a regular mask and after 30 seconds I was on my way to the Home Depot to get a full professional ventilation mask.
It wasn't just rat droppings. A full family of rats had actually moved in, taking refuge in the cupboards that were still stocked with old food.
Has any other landlord here ever had to deal with a renovation like this? I'd love to hear your experiences.
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
3y
I've had a few like that in my erstwhile career. I call those 'double-maskers'... :-)
One place had 9 dogs kept inside, goats penned on the porches, goats in a horse trailer and birds caged in the garage. Biker/tweaker house.....Had to sand the wood floors 3 times....and nothing took the stench out of the interior until I finally re-mudded all of the drywall.
But the winner might be the house that was a lesbian party house. They chained their new pledges to the wall and urinated on them. Yes, I'm serious, ya can't make thus sh....errr, stuff up.....
There are others, but the stories just get worse and this is a family show..... 😂
Investor · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2021 · 97 posts · 28 votes
2y
Anyone who goes and cleans something like this on their own is a much braver person than me. You could've hired a cleaning company to do all that. Can't imagine doing this by myself. At our office in Lafayette, we have a commercial cleaning company that comes twice a week and cleans everything, from floors to windows. We pay them about $600 a month. In your case, I'd hire a residential cleaning company to take care of all that. The company we use at our office is goinggreencleaningla.com, if someone from here will need such services in Lafayette.
Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
2y
Some people just like To live that way- Messy class C of someone who is monitarily challenged.
The working poor, that's why you should be judicious in choosing how you outfit the unit.
Some will go with, for instance stone countertops (hard to damage), while others will go with formica (cheaper), And others will go with heavy duty paint (quick repairs on a turn) for countertops in a class C.
Whatever is competitive with your close in competition in your marketplace,
Or however you decide you want to offer the apartment to the class C renting public.
Anyone who goes and cleans something like this on their own is a much braver person than me. You could've hired a cleaning company to do all that. Can't imagine doing this by myself. At our office in Lafayette, we have a commercial cleaning company that comes twice a week and cleans everything, from floors to windows. We pay them about $600 a month. In your case, I'd hire a residential cleaning company to take care of all that. The company we use at our office is goinggreencleaningla.com, if someone from here will need such services in Lafayette.
Cleaning companies dont touch that . Thats not cleaning thats a trash out . And I have done them , its rather gross . There are companies that will do them , but it will cost you quite a bit .