My BRRRR Horror Story! What could I have done differently?

My BRRRR Horror Story! What could I have done differently?

Jake BakerBusiness Member
Flipper/Rehabber · San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 695 votes

I wanted to share a horrible BRRRR experience with a property in Jacksonville, FL. What started as a promising BRRRR ended with us making the tough decision to sell at a loss after an unexpected disaster.

The Numbers:
Sold for: +$230K
Purchase Price: $115K
Closing Costs: $3K
Rehab Costs: $105K ($49K original rehab, $56K additional repairs due to the car crash)
Holding Costs: $31K (12 months)
Selling Costs: $16K
Insurance Claim Recovery: +$25K
Net Income: - $16K

What Happened:
This was supposed to be a BRRRR. The rehab was complete, and we were ready to refinance when disaster struck—a car crashed into the property the week we were scheduled to refinance. The crash caused significant structural damage, and the driver fled the scene, later reporting the vehicle stolen. This meant I couldn’t pursue the driver personally and had to rely on their car insurance, which settled for $25K—their maximum coverage.

Unfortunately, the crash added $77K in unexpected costs, including $41K in repairs and extended holding costs. Rising interest rates at the time created downward pressure on our ARV. Faced with mounting expenses, extended timelines, and diminishing returns, we ultimately decided to sell the property instead of continuing with the BRRRR strategy.

The Insurance Mistake:
The biggest lesson I learned was that I had the wrong type of insurance. I mistakenly had a rental policy instead of a builder’s risk policy. When I filed a claim, my insurance company denied it because the property was under rehab and not rented. I’ve done many flips and always had the correct insurance, so this foolish oversight proved costly.

The Silver Linings:
My Contractor: My contractor went above and beyond. He felt so bad about the situation that he did the additional repairs at cost, which was a huge relief and saved me from further losses.
My Agent: My real estate agent, who helped me purchase the property, was incredible. She spent countless hours on the phone—with me, the city, contractors, and other key players—to help find the best path forward when she didn't have to.

What I Learned:
Insurance is your safety net: Always double-check that you have the correct policy for your project type. 
Expect delays and unexpected expenses: No matter how straightforward the project seems, having a contingency fund for emergencies is essential.
Your Team matters. A reliable contractor and an exceptional agent can make all the difference when things go wrong.

The Outcome:
This was a humbling experience, and I still wonder if I could have done anything differently (besides the insurance). Sometimes, you have to walk away. Cutting our losses and selling was difficult, but it was the best option given our financial woes.

I’d love to hear from others—has anyone else faced something this unexpected during a BRRRR or flip? How did you handle it, and what would you do differently in hindsight?

BookkeepingRE - Bookkeeping for Real Estate & Service-Based Businesses58 Reviews
14Reply
100 views

Most Popular Reply

River SavaPro Member
Lender · USA · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y

Wow I'm sorry to hear...especially with the car crash happening right before the refinance. Unfortuantely, things happen that are out of your control.

The insurance issue is such an important takeaway. Builder’s risk insurance isn’t something that gets talked about enough, and your experience really highlights why it’s so critical. I’m glad your contractor and agent stepped up when things got messy. It’s a reminder of how much a good team can make or break a project. Thanks for sharing. 

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    1y

    crap happens this is a total outlier.. 

  • Gregory SchwartzBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · College Station, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    "I mistakenly had a rental policy instead of a builder’s risk policy."
    I'll be honest this is often overlooked. And yes this is a 1 in 1000 situation but plenty of other disasters could happen and having the right insurance policy is huge to protecting down side risk. 

    Thanks for sharing 

  • Investor · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 6 votes
    1y

    Jake,

    What a headache. Thank you for sharing your takeaways. 

  • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 2 votes
    1y

    Great perspective and thanks for sharing your experience. 

  • River SavaPro Member
    Lender · USA · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Wow I'm sorry to hear...especially with the car crash happening right before the refinance. Unfortuantely, things happen that are out of your control.

    The insurance issue is such an important takeaway. Builder’s risk insurance isn’t something that gets talked about enough, and your experience really highlights why it’s so critical. I’m glad your contractor and agent stepped up when things got messy. It’s a reminder of how much a good team can make or break a project. Thanks for sharing. 

  • Lender · Member since 2024 · 60 posts · 26 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jake Baker:

    I wanted to share a horrible BRRRR experience with a property in Jacksonville, FL. What started as a promising BRRRR ended with us making the tough decision to sell at a loss after an unexpected disaster.

    The Numbers:
    Sold for: +$230K
    Purchase Price: $115K
    Closing Costs: $3K
    Rehab Costs: $105K ($49K original rehab, $56K additional repairs due to the car crash)
    Holding Costs: $31K (12 months)
    Selling Costs: $16K
    Insurance Claim Recovery: +$25K
    Net Income: - $16K

    What Happened:
    This was supposed to be a BRRRR. The rehab was complete, and we were ready to refinance when disaster struck—a car crashed into the property the week we were scheduled to refinance. The crash caused significant structural damage, and the driver fled the scene, later reporting the vehicle stolen. This meant I couldn’t pursue the driver personally and had to rely on their car insurance, which settled for $25K—their maximum coverage.

    Unfortunately, the crash added $77K in unexpected costs, including $41K in repairs and extended holding costs. Rising interest rates at the time created downward pressure on our ARV. Faced with mounting expenses, extended timelines, and diminishing returns, we ultimately decided to sell the property instead of continuing with the BRRRR strategy.

    The Insurance Mistake:
    The biggest lesson I learned was that I had the wrong type of insurance. I mistakenly had a rental policy instead of a builder’s risk policy. When I filed a claim, my insurance company denied it because the property was under rehab and not rented. I’ve done many flips and always had the correct insurance, so this foolish oversight proved costly.

    The Silver Linings:
    My Contractor: My contractor went above and beyond. He felt so bad about the situation that he did the additional repairs at cost, which was a huge relief and saved me from further losses.
    My Agent: My real estate agent, who helped me purchase the property, was incredible. She spent countless hours on the phone—with me, the city, contractors, and other key players—to help find the best path forward when she didn't have to.

    What I Learned:
    Insurance is your safety net: Always double-check that you have the correct policy for your project type. 
    Expect delays and unexpected expenses: No matter how straightforward the project seems, having a contingency fund for emergencies is essential.
    Your Team matters. A reliable contractor and an exceptional agent can make all the difference when things go wrong.

    The Outcome:
    This was a humbling experience, and I still wonder if I could have done anything differently (besides the insurance). Sometimes, you have to walk away. Cutting our losses and selling was difficult, but it was the best option given our financial woes.

    I’d love to hear from others—has anyone else faced something this unexpected during a BRRRR or flip? How did you handle it, and what would you do differently in hindsight?


     Wow, this is such a bummer.  Thank you for sharing, glad there were some silver linings.

  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    Honestly, the fact you're sharing this and took it to the chin means you couldn't have done much better. Sure maybe more detail to the insurance policy, but you came out a winner with the hand you were dealt.

    Total freak accident. Blame it on a life lesson, keep it moving. No time to stress or dwell. 

  • Jake BakerBusiness Member
    OP
    Flipper/Rehabber · San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 695 votes
    1y

    Thanks for the replies! @V.G Jason @River Sava @Lisa Jones @Ben Pileggi @Gregory Schwartz @Jay Hinrichs

    Another silver lining I forgot to mention - Good investing partners.

    Having solid partners who can share the load (financially or logistically) during disasters can make a massive difference. Our private money lender on this flip was very reasonable through this whole process, as we had to navigate many gray areas and difficult decisions. 

    BookkeepingRE - Bookkeeping for Real Estate & Service-Based Businesses58 Reviews
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    1y

    Mr Murphy is always waiting around the corner. You done good, just move on, this will make a great story one day.....

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jake Baker:

    I wanted to share a horrible BRRRR experience with a property in Jacksonville, FL. What started as a promising BRRRR ended with us making the tough decision to sell at a loss after an unexpected disaster.

    The Numbers:
    Sold for: +$230K
    Purchase Price: $115K
    Closing Costs: $3K
    Rehab Costs: $105K ($49K original rehab, $56K additional repairs due to the car crash)
    Holding Costs: $31K (12 months)
    Selling Costs: $16K
    Insurance Claim Recovery: +$25K
    Net Income: - $16K

    What Happened:
    This was supposed to be a BRRRR. The rehab was complete, and we were ready to refinance when disaster struck—a car crashed into the property the week we were scheduled to refinance. The crash caused significant structural damage, and the driver fled the scene, later reporting the vehicle stolen. This meant I couldn’t pursue the driver personally and had to rely on their car insurance, which settled for $25K—their maximum coverage.

    Unfortunately, the crash added $77K in unexpected costs, including $41K in repairs and extended holding costs. Rising interest rates at the time created downward pressure on our ARV. Faced with mounting expenses, extended timelines, and diminishing returns, we ultimately decided to sell the property instead of continuing with the BRRRR strategy.

    The Insurance Mistake:
    The biggest lesson I learned was that I had the wrong type of insurance. I mistakenly had a rental policy instead of a builder’s risk policy. When I filed a claim, my insurance company denied it because the property was under rehab and not rented. I’ve done many flips and always had the correct insurance, so this foolish oversight proved costly.

    The Silver Linings:
    My Contractor: My contractor went above and beyond. He felt so bad about the situation that he did the additional repairs at cost, which was a huge relief and saved me from further losses.
    My Agent: My real estate agent, who helped me purchase the property, was incredible. She spent countless hours on the phone—with me, the city, contractors, and other key players—to help find the best path forward when she didn't have to.

    What I Learned:
    Insurance is your safety net: Always double-check that you have the correct policy for your project type. 
    Expect delays and unexpected expenses: No matter how straightforward the project seems, having a contingency fund for emergencies is essential.
    Your Team matters. A reliable contractor and an exceptional agent can make all the difference when things go wrong.

    The Outcome:
    This was a humbling experience, and I still wonder if I could have done anything differently (besides the insurance). Sometimes, you have to walk away. Cutting our losses and selling was difficult, but it was the best option given our financial woes.

    I’d love to hear from others—has anyone else faced something this unexpected during a BRRRR or flip? How did you handle it, and what would you do differently in hindsight?

    You can combine a bunch full-time of investors together and would be hard-pressed to have a repeat of your story with a car crash. It stinks that the insurance company did not want to help you with this. They definitely took your premium, but when problems happen they look for technicalities in order not to be responsible.
  • Frank PyleBusiness Member
    Specialist · USA · Member since 2024 · 279 posts · 130 votes
    1y

    Thanks for sharing your experience.  

    Frank Pyle at ExP Realty
    NEXA Lending- Investors Edge Concierge
    View Page
  • New to Real Estate · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2023 · 67 posts · 44 votes
    1y

    @Jake Baker Man, what a tough situation.It’s a real reminder that even with solid plans, even with checking out our numbers a thousand times sometimes completely unexpected disasters can hit hard and mess everything up. Like in my mind that is truly the last thing on earth that I could imagine to mess up my real estate investment plans with some idiot with a stolen car crashing into your property and escaping and I imagine how you felt when you found out.  That insurance lesson is gold, props to you for keeping perspective and having a solid team to help you navigate through it. Here’s to smoother projects ahead!

  • Real Estate Agent · Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    Hi Jake, 

    I am sorry to hear the story, well, things happen that are unexpected. 

    Thank you for sharing your experience.

  • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 1 vote
    1y

    Thank you for sharing your story. Your profile says you are from CA, are you a long distance investor or are you local? 

  • Jake BakerBusiness Member
    OP
    Flipper/Rehabber · San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 695 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Andrew Baldwin:

    Thank you for sharing your story. Your profile says you are from CA, are you a long distance investor or are you local? 


     I am a long-distance investor. I travel quite a bit, but I am primarily in San Diego. 

    BookkeepingRE - Bookkeeping for Real Estate & Service-Based Businesses58 Reviews
  • Investor · Madison WI · Member since 2021 · 140 posts · 103 votes
    1y

    Wow only a 16k loss is honestly a huge win in that situation. 

  • Member since 2024 · 2 posts · 3 votes
    1y

    Thank you for sharing this! Sorry to hear this happened! 

  • Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    1y

    Thanks for sharing this but maybe you can use this to make up in the next 2 years whatever you lost:). And good to know you have dependable contractor and realtor, that is a silver lining

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.