Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 2 votes
I’m new to real estate investing and just in the information gathering stage, I’ve been reading BP Rental Property investing and am reading up on “the 2% rule” or making sure that a properties monthly rental income is equal to 2% of the purchase price or greater.
I understand that this can be a different number for all markets, so I’m curious if there is a number you use in the Twin Cities area? What number has proven to cash flow well?
Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 254 posts · 228 votes
5y
@Alley Carlson welcome!! Unfortunately you're more likely to catch a pterodactyl with a pokeball in NE Minneapolis than find a 2% deal.. just don't exist, never on the MLS, and very rare to find an off market owner who doesn't know the value of their property, unless they've lived out of state for years under a rock. That's not to say you can't be successful in this market, as Daniel and Jordan have said, you just need to have imagination. With rent/price ratio, use your projected rent, and use your total purchase price + repairs for price. If you do that and can get a 1.35 or 1.4% deal, I'd say you'll likely hit your goal of $150-200/unit/month. I think that is totally possible. Do reach out if you'd like some ideas on areas to look.
Rental Property Investor · Bloomington, MN · Member since 2019 · 404 posts · 542 votes
5y
@Alley Carlson Welcome from another Twin Cities investor. I don’t like saying it depends... but it depends. Even within the twin cities metro you can’t apply the same rule to North Minneapolis that you would apply to Edina.
Personally, I focus on the 1% rule as a starting point. That works for the properties I’m looking to buy which are small multi family properties within the metro but outside of Minneapolis and St Paul. That also factors in what I would do to manage the properties.
However, you’ll also find many investors who operate below the 1% rule in higher end properties that are making far more money than I am. So it’s really tough to put an exact rule in place.
More importantly, what types of properties are you looking at? What areas within the Twin Cities are you considering? Those questions are more important to ask yourself and then run numbers to see if it makes sense to purchase.
If you’re looking at North Minneapolis you’ll need to be closer to 2% to factor in additional repair costs, vacancy (including non-payment), etc. If you’re in a higher end area you might only need 0.7% to achieve the same positive cash flow that North Minneapolis gets to at 2%.
Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 2 votes
5y
@Corey Hawkinson thanks Corey I appreciate the feedback! I see what you mean about different areas of the metro working at different numbers. I’m most interested in duplex/triplex units in northeast, or northern suburbs of the Twin Cities, but also not counting out Rochester and Duluth. I’ll definitely take your advice into consideration as I run the numbers and evaluate the different areas
Realtor · Minneapolis · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 16 votes
5y
I agree with everything Corey said.
In the current market climate, for small multifamily properties in desirable areas, it's becoming harder and harder to find properties even at the 1% rule. Although I'm not as familiar with the less desirable parts of town, I'd even be surprised if you could find 2% properties there.
In the areas you're looking, I think 1% or very close can be achieved, but you need to "make" a 1% property. Finding something that needs work, is poorly marketed, turning tenants and raising rents, or has potential to add bedrooms are some examples of what I mean.
Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
5y
Pay attention to the dates of the information you're consuming. 2% rule has been dead since around 2014, 1% is hard to hit now in most markets but deals can still work well around there.
@Corey Hawkinson thanks Corey I appreciate the feedback! I see what you mean about different areas of the metro working at different numbers. I’m most interested in duplex/triplex units in northeast, or northern suburbs of the Twin Cities, but also not counting out Rochester and Duluth. I’ll definitely take your advice into consideration as I run the numbers and evaluate the different areas
I would say if you are looking at duplexes and multi-family properties in NE you are not going to find the 2% and 1% won't happen on the MLS. Those deals are found off market or you get creative with adding value to the property. I.E extra bedrooms, finishing space, renting out storage space/ garage. But with that said REI is fun and such a great way to invest your money. Message me and lets chat about REI!
Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 254 posts · 228 votes
5y
@Alley Carlson welcome!! Unfortunately you're more likely to catch a pterodactyl with a pokeball in NE Minneapolis than find a 2% deal.. just don't exist, never on the MLS, and very rare to find an off market owner who doesn't know the value of their property, unless they've lived out of state for years under a rock. That's not to say you can't be successful in this market, as Daniel and Jordan have said, you just need to have imagination. With rent/price ratio, use your projected rent, and use your total purchase price + repairs for price. If you do that and can get a 1.35 or 1.4% deal, I'd say you'll likely hit your goal of $150-200/unit/month. I think that is totally possible. Do reach out if you'd like some ideas on areas to look.
Real Estate Agent · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2015 · 225 posts · 214 votes
5y
Confirming what everyone above said! 1% rule is considered a deal these days especially in popular, competitive neighborhoods and any MF in the suburbs.
Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 743 posts · 927 votes
5y
It's an age old problem of everyone would like to find a turn key property at a fixer upper price. With all the information available now days, you have 100's of people looking at every property. I recently posted a lot for sale, and had 100's of views in the 1st 2 days. Now an empty lot is a very specific kind of property that wouldn't appeal to the average investor so to have that many people view it is a little crazy. I bought a duplex 2 months ago that had 35 showings in the first 2 days and 8 offers by the weekend as it was priced pretty competitively and in a super great location in Uptown. Anything close to a deal gets an amazing amount of interest as some of the realtors can probably share.
Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
5y
@Alley Carlsonas you already noted, the ratio varies by market and can be vastly different depending on property taxes and insurance rates. A 1% ratio in TX which has high property taxes and insurance rates will produce a much lower return than many other markets with the same ratio but lower taxes and insurance. Also, you have to consider the class of property. Lower asset classes sometime have higher rent ratio's but their returns are low because of vacancy rates and high maintenance costs due to the areas they are in. Personally, I don't think the 1% rule is very meaningful. It's a top line metric that does not reflect profit in any way. If you're evaluating opportunities, do a full evaluation and focus on cash on cash return and total return on equity. It's the only meaningful analysis.
New to Real Estate · Arvada, CO · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 4 votes
5y
I live and invest in NE Minneapolis, a somewhat desirable area, and haven't seen a 1% rule deal on the MLS, granted I am also a rookie. However, you can still find properties that will cash flow, it just may require some creativity. If I was a contractor or handyman, I would be looking at SFHs that are good candidates for duplex conversions. I have a SFH that I rent by the room and it's a lot more work as a landlord, but if I have 3 of 5 rooms filled I am breaking even month to month and if all 5 are filled I am cash flowing $1000+/month. I think a lot of investors would see this house and see a SFH that costs $300k and would only rent for 2k/month and move on without a 2nd thought.
Realtor · Bloomington MN (bloomington, mn) · Member since 2016 · 451 posts · 263 votes
5y
@Collin Barker That's absolutely right. You have to get creative in markets like this (especially NE), renting by the room is a good way to be creative without adding money to the property to build extra bedrooms or another value add opportunities. I would say be careful with the SFH conversion idea. I say this because although zoning in Minneapolis has made it easy, the building codes have not. I know an investor doing this type of conversion in NE right now and the city is absolutely killing him on it. Last time we spoke he said he might quit and make it an ADU instead of an actual duplex.
New to Real Estate · Arvada, CO · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 4 votes
5y
@Daniel Anshus, thanks for bringing that up - good to know. Regarding Auxiliary Dwelling Units (ADUs), don't you have to live in the building to rent it legally or am I understanding that wrong? I am currently living in a duplex that has a third illegal unit and I've been planning on renovating it and making it a legal triplex, but if I made it an ADU instead, wouldn't I no longer be able to rent the ADU after I move out (I plan to live there 2-3 years)?
Investor · Menomonie, WI · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 12 votes
5y
I Live in North Minneapolis Burbs, but invest out of town for the 1.5% deals. Very Rare in this time of age to find anything at 1% in Minneapolis. The more rural market I invest in 5 years ago for 1.5-2% is now going to 1% and below. Interesting times.
Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2015 · 663 posts · 512 votes
5y
@Alley Carlson
We get 2.43% rule in the twin cities but that’s because we bought in 2014. Right now you’ll probably get onepercent based on the high prices of multiplexes and investment properties. 
DM me your e mail address and I'll do an introduction to someone doing the exact thing you are talking about. He bought a duplex and is finishing the basement into a 3 unit as a triplex conversion. I'm sure he's willing to talk through it as you have to know the idiosyncrasies and be able to execute going from IRC (duplex) to IBC (triplex) in the building code