Investing in Oswego, Syracuse, or Rochester

Investing in Oswego, Syracuse, or Rochester

Flipper/Rehabber · NJ · Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 1 vote

Hello everyone,

I've just moved to the East Coast. My wife and I are investigating whether to invest in Oswego, Syracuse, Auburn or Rochester NY. We are looking for cash flow. We're ok if the home multifamily property doesn't appreciate a lot. I've been building and flipping for nearly a decade but I've only been a landlord a few times. Where do you recommend and why? Pros and cons?

1Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Oswego NY · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 4 votes
5y

Nicholas,

I can only speak about the Oswego, NY market. I’m both an investor/landlord in this market as well as an agent. 

Student housing gives the best opportunity for cashflow in this market. There is a “changing of the guard” currently happening with older landlords selling individual properties and small groups. I’m working with 3 landlords that own nearly 70 properties in Oswego combined, and each are stepping towards retirement. I’ve sold 15 in the past 4 months...

As for the remaining residential income properties (families & individuals,) this market is still strong. The cash flow per unit is less, but the prices are still fairly cheap. Yes, there will be a larger chance to have a legacy tenant who has not paid due to covid.

Pros - strong SUNY campus with several off campus students, CAP rates of 8%-18% (depending on deferred maintenance and specific characteristics.)

Cons - typically older homes, students create more work with annual turns and more damage typically, lack of quality management in this area (very few quality managers.)

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Malakoff, TX · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    For cash flow in these cities you're probably going to be looking at lower end rentals where the Covid eviction moratorium is a problem with the tenant base.

  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    For years here on BP  I highly recommend that exact area for cash flow

    Having grown up in all of those towns as well as going to college in Oswego I knew the area very well

    With the new covid rules  I would steer far far away from then now 

  • Real Estate Broker · Oswego NY · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    Nicholas,

    I can only speak about the Oswego, NY market. I’m both an investor/landlord in this market as well as an agent. 

    Student housing gives the best opportunity for cashflow in this market. There is a “changing of the guard” currently happening with older landlords selling individual properties and small groups. I’m working with 3 landlords that own nearly 70 properties in Oswego combined, and each are stepping towards retirement. I’ve sold 15 in the past 4 months...

    As for the remaining residential income properties (families & individuals,) this market is still strong. The cash flow per unit is less, but the prices are still fairly cheap. Yes, there will be a larger chance to have a legacy tenant who has not paid due to covid.

    Pros - strong SUNY campus with several off campus students, CAP rates of 8%-18% (depending on deferred maintenance and specific characteristics.)

    Cons - typically older homes, students create more work with annual turns and more damage typically, lack of quality management in this area (very few quality managers.)

  • Handyman · Mexico, NY · Member since 2018 · 40 posts · 13 votes
    5y

    Hello Nicholas Kapner and Jeffrey Tonkin. Later this summer I am going to be trying to organize a group meet up in the Oswego County. The only thing that is holding me up from doing it now is my renovation in Northern VA. I am anticipating being done by July. If there is already a group formed there I would be interested in joining but I have not seen one. So I will start my own, would either of you be interested? I also have a property with 5 doors in that area that is zoned as Class C Commercial. It needs a lot of work. It is located beside Oswego lake and beside 2 Marinas. The main customer base would be fishing tourist. I am open to any and all offers, especially offers of partnerships.

  • Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Thank you for all of the responses. 

    As a 1st time multi family investor in Cayuga County, New York. 

    I'm looking at purchasing 3 properties for a total of $365k. Each from different sellers all off market deals. Rent rolls show people are paying in a duplex, 3 plex and the 4plex is section 8. Duplex and 3 plex are in good shape. 4 plex fully gutted and remodeled 3 years ago under a grant from section 8. Duplex is $70k in Auburn, 3 plex is $120k in Oswego, and 4 plex is $140k in Auburn. Duplex rents total $16800 annually, 3plex $28k annually, and 4plex $38,400 annually. CAP Rates are great after snow removal, lawn care, taxes and management fees. I'm doing 3 loans at 25% down at 4% for investment loans. I understand there's some risk with the moratorium however that should end by the time I close.


     Anything I'm missing here? 

    Thoughts on how the end of the eviction moratorium will affect multifamily family housing prices? Monthly rent prices? Is there somewhere else I should look at? 

    Our main goal is cash flow and to have clean livable homes for tenants. We saw quite a few slum lords and find it appalling people are renting unfit places.

  • Real Estate Agent · Naples, FL · Member since 2016 · 298 posts · 268 votes
    5y

    @Nicholas Kapner I go with the single family home model with section 8 tenants in these areas. Works really well and kept me solid during the pandemic.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · NJ · Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Willard Blair I'm interested in the meetup.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael Plante:

    For years here on BP  I highly recommend that exact area for cash flow

    Having grown up in all of those towns as well as going to college in Oswego I knew the area very well

    With the new covid rules  I would steer far far away from then now 


     Well it's good to know I'm not the only SUNY Oswego grad here.

  • Member since 2022 · 50 posts · 24 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nicholas Kapner:

    Hello everyone,

    I've just moved to the East Coast. My wife and I are investigating whether to invest in Oswego, Syracuse, Auburn or Rochester NY. We are looking for cash flow. We're ok if the home multifamily property doesn't appreciate a lot. I've been building and flipping for nearly a decade but I've only been a landlord a few times. Where do you recommend and why? Pros and cons?


     Are you thinking about a short-term rental?

    Although STRs generate way more monthly ash flow, I think there are some rules restricting them in NY, I'm sure about SFHs but I'm not sure about multi-family houses.

    Doers anyone here know about the rules there?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.