Local Insight Wanted: Best Columbus, Ohio Areas for Midterm Rentals?

Local Insight Wanted: Best Columbus, Ohio Areas for Midterm Rentals?

Columbus, OH · Member since 2025 · 25 posts · 30 votes

Hi all - I'm in the research phase as I prepare to purchase my first investment property in the next 6+ months. I'm based in Columbus, Ohio and considering a midterm rental (30+ day) strategy. 

I'm exploring furnished rentals that would appeal to: 

*Airline crew near CMH

*Traveling professionals or contractors working downtown or near hospitals

I'd really appreciate any local insight on:

*Neighborhoods in Columbus where MTRs perform well

*Areas to prioritize (or avoid) for this type of rental

*What tenant types you're seeing the strongest demand from in Columbus

*Platforms or tools that have worked well for you (Furnished Finder, Airbnb, etc.)

Thanks in advance for any advice from those investing in or around Columbus!

#ColumbusOH #MidtermRental #MTR #TravelingProfessionals #CMH #FirstTimeInvestor

4Reply
115 views

Most Popular Reply

Brooke RoundyPro Member
Investor · Member since 2021 · 45 posts · 41 votes
1y

I am also looking to invest in Columbus MTR, I run a few MTRs in Cleveland near hospitals that are performing well on Furnished Finder. I switch between STR and MTR seasonally, which has worked well for now. MTR is decidedly less work, and with STRs saturated in my neighborhood this year and the increased need to differentiate in a crowded market, MTR is increasingly attractive. I've had one MTR tenant rent through Airbnb, the rest on Furnished Finder. I've had a mix of healthcare professionals and one relocation. Best wishes! If you'd like to connect I'd be happy to share learnings as I move into the MTR market in Columbus in the next 6 months.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brooke RoundyPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2021 · 45 posts · 41 votes
    1y

    I am also looking to invest in Columbus MTR, I run a few MTRs in Cleveland near hospitals that are performing well on Furnished Finder. I switch between STR and MTR seasonally, which has worked well for now. MTR is decidedly less work, and with STRs saturated in my neighborhood this year and the increased need to differentiate in a crowded market, MTR is increasingly attractive. I've had one MTR tenant rent through Airbnb, the rest on Furnished Finder. I've had a mix of healthcare professionals and one relocation. Best wishes! If you'd like to connect I'd be happy to share learnings as I move into the MTR market in Columbus in the next 6 months.

  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2025 · 25 posts · 30 votes
    1y

    Thanks, Brooke- really helpful insights. I'm still exploring MTRs vs LTRs. Would love to stay in touch and learn alongside you!

  • Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 5 votes
    1y

    @Brooke Roundy thanks for providing more details. What made you choice between MTR and LTR? I am doing research on MTR and would love to know. 

  • Brooke RoundyPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2021 · 45 posts · 41 votes
    1y

    @Megha Malhotra it's really about cash flow for me. The MTR market is young so I see opportunity to grow with it. I don't need a completely passive investment and I enjoy furnishing and providing a good guest experience to this type of tenant. Given my property location if the MTR market were to significantly change I can pivot to LTR easily by simply removing the furniture. I like this flexibility and it balances the risk. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    1y

    we did well in Vegas with MTR using Insurance company placement agents.. check those out.

    for us we got double market rent never missed a payment and generally very clean folks who lost their home to a fire.. we did have one couple that was building a new BIG home that took about 18 months to build that was a great tenant as well.

  • Brooke RoundyPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2021 · 45 posts · 41 votes
    1y
    Thx Jay! I have my eye on the Vegas market for STR/MTR near the Strip and Convention center.
  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    My wife and I do exclusively MTR's in Columbus OH. We're in the process of bringing our 4th and 5th units online. All of properties are in the South part of downtown, around Merion Village, German Village and Southern Orchards near Nationwide Children's Hospital. We have done pretty well in the 4 years of hosting and have gotten almost all of our tenants through Furnished Finder and Airbnb, with a slight edge to Furnished Finder. We've always had great tenants, and are seeing a lot more tenants that are in town for construction projects with all the growth in the city. Happy to chat or provide some help to anyone looking for it!

    • Remington LymanBusiness Member
      Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Christian Pancake:

      My wife and I do exclusively MTR's in Columbus OH. We're in the process of bringing our 4th and 5th units online. All of properties are in the South part of downtown, around Merion Village, German Village and Southern Orchards near Nationwide Children's Hospital. We have done pretty well in the 4 years of hosting and have gotten almost all of our tenants through Furnished Finder and Airbnb, with a slight edge to Furnished Finder. We've always had great tenants, and are seeing a lot more tenants that are in town for construction projects with all the growth in the city. Happy to chat or provide some help to anyone looking for it!


       Want to meet for coffee sometime? I live in GV

  • Kerlous TadresBusiness Member
    Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Melissa Adams:

    Hi all - I'm in the research phase as I prepare to purchase my first investment property in the next 6+ months. I'm based in Columbus, Ohio and considering a midterm rental (30+ day) strategy. 

    I'm exploring furnished rentals that would appeal to: 

    *Airline crew near CMH

    *Traveling professionals or contractors working downtown or near hospitals

    I'd really appreciate any local insight on:

    *Neighborhoods in Columbus where MTRs perform well

    *Areas to prioritize (or avoid) for this type of rental

    *What tenant types you're seeing the strongest demand from in Columbus

    *Platforms or tools that have worked well for you (Furnished Finder, Airbnb, etc.)

    Thanks in advance for any advice from those investing in or around Columbus!

    #ColumbusOH #MidtermRental #MTR #TravelingProfessionals #CMH #FirstTimeInvestor


    I live here in Columbus and have some great connections for people who do AIRBNB Rentals. Let me know if you would like those contacts

    Kerlous Tadres | Reafco Real Estate540 Reviews
  • Mike PaolucciBusiness Member
    Realtor · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2022 · 495 posts · 551 votes
    1y

    Hi @Melissa Adams

    I've got 1 MTR down in Merion Village. I'd recommend there or Southern Orchards. Both neighborhoods perform well and are close to German Village, Downtown and Nationwide Children's Hospital and freeways. 

    You can also target Olde Town East, Short North and Grandview for pretty solid returns as well. Gahanna would be a solid option as well since it's near CMH. 

    I use both Furnished Finder & Airbnb and get a wide range of tenants. I'd also recommend getting in touch with insurance providers as well. 

  • Austin McClainBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · OH · Member since 2021 · 347 posts · 602 votes
    1y

    I've seen people have success renting to traveling nurses near Nationwide Children's Hospital.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.