BOOTS ON THE GROUND - SIGN UP

BOOTS ON THE GROUND - SIGN UP

Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes

Just saw a intro post about boots on the ground.

FLAH!

@Joshua D. 

we need a boots on the ground thread, list of some kind so members can locate those in a geographical area that are already willing and qualified to put boot on the ground for out of town members.

I realize you can search Dallas for members, but you'd have to contact each one (after reviewing profiles and posts) to see if they would help out with some deal or just drive by and see if the place is occupied.

A little BP Quick Response Team on standby ready to jump in behind enemy lines and gather intelligence or any mission specific task.

Or, monetize it, send $50 for a drive by and pay $30, next member on the list gets the assignment and calls the party in need for details if the party requesting didn't request someone.......lots of ways

Might be done as a favor too.

If I need a volunteer or pay for some tactical insurgency I'd have no clue to who would be open to do such a thing in that area and really, doubt I'd just start PMing folks in that area, some are too busy, some would love the experience and a little cash on the side.

Might even lead to deals!

Just a thought. :)   

8Reply
54 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
12y

An Implementation suggestion

Premise: The ideal place to put Boots On the Ground information is with the person on the ground. That person "owns" the data. That person can add or subtract a BOG 'service' at will.

Goal: Easiest and quickest method to implement, without disruption to the flow of BP.

How to: 

Option #1: Under http://www.biggerpockets.com/profile/experience have BP put in a new entry under "What deals have you done?" The entry is "Boots on the Ground" and the text box contains whatever number you specify. The structure type of this field is numeric... so there is currently no method to enter unstructured text.

Option #2: Another alternative is a "Boots on the Ground" checkbox for the "How are you involved in real estate?" field.

Option #3: The better implementation would be to have a brand new field "Boots on the Ground" after the "What deals have you done?" The new BOG field could have simple free text or a zip code qualifier and free text... BP can then add fields/granularity later if there is a demand.

To Use:
Under "Meet BiggerPockets Members" using the existing Search Members... Select the appropriate label. For the "What deals have you done?" implementation above, select "Deals & Holdings" in the drop down, then "Boots on the Ground" then press Add Filter. For the "How are you involved in real estate?" implementation, select "Occupation" and "Boots on the Ground" and then press Add Filter. For the brand new field "Boots on the Ground" implementation, BP would need to add a new label, then qualify the label with BOG specifics... which would operate like the existing "Markets" field. Add he filter and you are golden.

My 2 cents.

Carry On.

See this reply in the discussion

51 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • CPA · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Could even be a directory in MS Excel where members who post on said "Boot on the Ground Thread" have their information added to the directory. 

    You could then search by experience, certs, quals, etc. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2008 · 489 posts · 300 votes
    12y

    Count me in!

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Hah! ... soon it will be snow shoes on the ground up here ... well, ok, not for a couple of months ;-)

    If someone on BP ever gets inclined to go further east than Maine, yet remain on the continent, I may be of some assistance.

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Roy N. 

    LOL 

    I didn't even realize the continent extended east of Maine!  (Actually I did, but only because I've seen ice on maps!)

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Hattie Dizmond:

    @Roy N. 

    LOL 

    I didn't even realize the continent extended east of Maine!  (Actually I did, but only because I've seen ice on maps!)

     Hattie:  We have a whole other timezone - actually 1.5 timezones - east of Maine.   You should come visit us sometime ... preferably in summer.

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    OK...now that I didn't know!  And, that's a little bit crazy.

  • Real Estate Investor · Kittery Point, ME · Member since 2013 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    Hi @Roy N.  Kittery Point, Maine here.  Or as I call it, Tropical Maine.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Account Closed 

    I worked in Portsmouth a few years back and use to run through Kittery Point frequently going to/from York Beach.   I love the area.

  • Real Estate Investor · Sebastian, FL · Member since 2014 · 812 posts · 432 votes
    12y

    @Bill Gulley Great suggestion. It should also have a way to give references or note complaints. 

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Perhaps those that are advertising their services should post in the Marketplace.

  • Investor · Deerfield Beach Florida and Tupper Lake, N.Y. · Member since 2013 · 307 posts · 118 votes
    12y

    I like the idea. I'm not sure about how to respond to the thread w/o posting in the marketplace as @Dawn Anastasi stated, but I have flip flops on the ground in eastern Palm Beach County, and would look forward to working with any investors interested in this area.

  • Dawn BrenengenBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    I'm happy to help out in Raleigh when I have time...no charge if I'm not busy.  Let me know if I can be of some assistance to anyone. :)

  • Brooksville, FL · Member since 2012 · 429 posts · 220 votes
    12y

    Should set it up with your base zip code and roughly how far you are willing to go and how much you would like to be compensated per hour.      Obviously everything is subject to change but it might give people an idea of what the person's expectations are.

  • Brooksville, FL · Member since 2012 · 429 posts · 220 votes
    12y

    Being as I work around the country I love the idea of this more and more.       I think it's easiest to have it be a list that people post to and update as they add a name.     So like

    Zip Code  Name,  Phone #             Distance willing to travel....Desired pay per hour

    01945    Joe Smith  555-222-4444          50 miles                       $15

    34608     Leigh C     444-222-5555          10 miles                       $150

    Assuming the above list needed to be added to, the next person copies that list and then adds themselves in where their zip code falls.     

    I use craigslist currently to find boots on the ground and it's typically an interesting experience trying to explain why i need them to go into a empty house and take some pictures.      This month alone i've spent thousnads in BPOs having agents attempt to give me the same.     I'd much rather get an INFORMED opinion at no extra cost.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    Good idea, not sure about posting prices as that really should depend on what is to be done, but they could I suppose.

    We have 9 zip codes here in town, and there may be other zip codes frequently traveled to or that could be traveled to by many. So any field listed would need to be bigger than 5 digits, might look like 65801-09, 65742, 65656-59, etc.

    Let's avoid direct solicitations in this thread, but do voice your support, interest and participation to the concept of making it easier to connect with boots on the ground. :)

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    An Implementation suggestion

    Premise: The ideal place to put Boots On the Ground information is with the person on the ground. That person "owns" the data. That person can add or subtract a BOG 'service' at will.

    Goal: Easiest and quickest method to implement, without disruption to the flow of BP.

    How to: 

    Option #1: Under http://www.biggerpockets.com/profile/experience have BP put in a new entry under "What deals have you done?" The entry is "Boots on the Ground" and the text box contains whatever number you specify. The structure type of this field is numeric... so there is currently no method to enter unstructured text.

    Option #2: Another alternative is a "Boots on the Ground" checkbox for the "How are you involved in real estate?" field.

    Option #3: The better implementation would be to have a brand new field "Boots on the Ground" after the "What deals have you done?" The new BOG field could have simple free text or a zip code qualifier and free text... BP can then add fields/granularity later if there is a demand.

    To Use:
    Under "Meet BiggerPockets Members" using the existing Search Members... Select the appropriate label. For the "What deals have you done?" implementation above, select "Deals & Holdings" in the drop down, then "Boots on the Ground" then press Add Filter. For the "How are you involved in real estate?" implementation, select "Occupation" and "Boots on the Ground" and then press Add Filter. For the brand new field "Boots on the Ground" implementation, BP would need to add a new label, then qualify the label with BOG specifics... which would operate like the existing "Markets" field. Add he filter and you are golden.

    My 2 cents.

    Carry On.

  • Wayne, NJ · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    I would actually love to be apart of this, not only will I learn how to spectate homes I might learn a thing or two from the buyer/wholesaler.

  • Jimmy MoncriefPro Member
    Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2010 · 319 posts · 100 votes
    12y

    @Bill Gulley EXCELLENT IDEA!  Sign-me-up!

  • Real Estate Agent · Indialantic, FL · Member since 2014 · 182 posts · 80 votes
    12y

    I would be willing to do this for others in the Brevard County FL area.  

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    Let's say this is JUST boots on the ground, not where the boots try to manipulate more out of other members, if you're not a newbie and you have expertise, I'd say it should be offered for free if someone asks you for simple input or an opinion. Sharks, take off you fins! This is about assisting others, not using their deal as a lead for your own business. 

    A bit of ethics here folks, no stealing a deal, no contact with the owner/seller unless asked to do so and only to the instructions of the requestor. You are to treat all information as highly confidential, no gossip at the REI meetings. You accept the role in assisting with a fiduciary of your principal. Boots don't give advice or facilitate the transaction to either side, they only perform an administrative support role. It is unethical to ask the requestor to enter into a business relationship to any transaction other than for what is being requested.

    Now, if a requestor asks for other support, opens the door to any other arrangement then both may continue as they may negotiate. The requestor should not solicit mentoring, coaching or other partnerships unless they can perform, give the transaction sought or simply shotgun requests turning a provider into a birddog.

    Now, in light of those terms, if anyone has a deal in my area, I'll consider assisting as a pair of boots, but I'm not advising beyond the comments I might offer (I'm sure I'd offer some).

    I suppose if it's my idea to network and assist I should be willing to lead by example.....right? Down side with me, you may need to use snail mail for docs and probably bear with me on the techie side of things, experience may make up for those issues as I use a telephone.... LOL

     If I can't assist, I'll try to find someone here who can help you. :)   

  • Real Estate Broker · Triangle Area, NC · Member since 2012 · 587 posts · 214 votes
    12y

    I'll echo @Dawn Brenengen that if I'm not busy with anything else, I'll gladly help out a fellow BP member scope out a potential property in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area free of charge! I've actually done this a couple of times already for out-of-area BPers interested in property here so feel free to contact me. But when you come into town you owe me lunch!

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    Great offer Michael, we have a Realtor in NC!

    Hope my ethics suggestion didn't slow the interest, LOL, members conducting business with other members should already be there, not to mention others you bump into.

    That post works two ways, one to those getting ideas but moreover to others who will ask for help, they need a trust level or they may not ask. Could have gone without saying, but....

    Haven't heard from Josh yet, he may be waiting to see the level of interest, so sign up, comment!  

  • Homeowner · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 854 posts · 511 votes
    12y

    I love the idea but there are two things that would prevent me from signing up.

    1. I have a child in grade school and the activities are VERY time consuming.  Lately I haven't had the time to seek out my own real estate deals, let alone try to help someone else with theirs.

    2. There seems to be a lot of BP members that put more emphasis on Cash Flow than they do on Property Class.  I can envision getting a lot of requests to check out properties in war zones.  No thanks!

  • Home Stager · Sussex, WI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 64 votes
    12y

    @Bill Gulley This is a great idea!  And will help encourage others to get involved with the team.  I agree if there is to be any compensation, that could come when/if a deal is made and contract signed.   For me personally, it's a great way to hone my property location and analysis skills while helping someone else.  Win/Win!

    I work from home, so I'm available in Austin / Round Rock MSA for drive-by views/photos/video and any local level property research.

    I'm in!

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    Carolyn, get your license, but boot on the ground doesn't mean you have to wait till closing, many contracts don't close, BOTG isn't about charging as a Realtor, if you charge, it's doing due diligence in an area, snapping pics, helping other evaluate the deal as a favor or for a small fee as compensation for your efforts. A contract may not even be made. OTH, these contacts can be very valuable in the future. Report has been gained, knowledge traded, you know what they do and how and they know what you can do.

    I'm still waiting for you to fix my garden and suggest a better wardrobe for occasions I may encounter. LOL :)    

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.