BOOTS ON THE GROUND - SIGN UP

BOOTS ON THE GROUND - SIGN UP

Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes

Just saw a intro post about boots on the ground.

FLAH!

@Joshua D. 

we need a boots on the ground thread, list of some kind so members can locate those in a geographical area that are already willing and qualified to put boot on the ground for out of town members.

I realize you can search Dallas for members, but you'd have to contact each one (after reviewing profiles and posts) to see if they would help out with some deal or just drive by and see if the place is occupied.

A little BP Quick Response Team on standby ready to jump in behind enemy lines and gather intelligence or any mission specific task.

Or, monetize it, send $50 for a drive by and pay $30, next member on the list gets the assignment and calls the party in need for details if the party requesting didn't request someone.......lots of ways

Might be done as a favor too.

If I need a volunteer or pay for some tactical insurgency I'd have no clue to who would be open to do such a thing in that area and really, doubt I'd just start PMing folks in that area, some are too busy, some would love the experience and a little cash on the side.

Might even lead to deals!

Just a thought. :)   

8Reply
52 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
12y

An Implementation suggestion

Premise: The ideal place to put Boots On the Ground information is with the person on the ground. That person "owns" the data. That person can add or subtract a BOG 'service' at will.

Goal: Easiest and quickest method to implement, without disruption to the flow of BP.

How to: 

Option #1: Under http://www.biggerpockets.com/profile/experience have BP put in a new entry under "What deals have you done?" The entry is "Boots on the Ground" and the text box contains whatever number you specify. The structure type of this field is numeric... so there is currently no method to enter unstructured text.

Option #2: Another alternative is a "Boots on the Ground" checkbox for the "How are you involved in real estate?" field.

Option #3: The better implementation would be to have a brand new field "Boots on the Ground" after the "What deals have you done?" The new BOG field could have simple free text or a zip code qualifier and free text... BP can then add fields/granularity later if there is a demand.

To Use:
Under "Meet BiggerPockets Members" using the existing Search Members... Select the appropriate label. For the "What deals have you done?" implementation above, select "Deals & Holdings" in the drop down, then "Boots on the Ground" then press Add Filter. For the "How are you involved in real estate?" implementation, select "Occupation" and "Boots on the Ground" and then press Add Filter. For the brand new field "Boots on the Ground" implementation, BP would need to add a new label, then qualify the label with BOG specifics... which would operate like the existing "Markets" field. Add he filter and you are golden.

My 2 cents.

Carry On.

See this reply in the discussion

51 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 452 posts · 309 votes
    12y

    I've done this for an out of town investor and it was a great experience. Assuming that the property is in my target zone, I'm always happy to swing by, take a few photos and give my solicited (or unsolicited) take on the situation. 

  • Home Stager · Sussex, WI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 64 votes
    12y

    @Bill Gulley 

    Agreed.  It might also be helpful to document the due diligence process and post findings on the BOTG forum. Details of that would need to be worked through.

    About your garden:  You should plant grass. 

    The wardrobe issue may take more time, Obi-Wan. :)

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 6 votes
    12y
    Bill Gulley please see my intro post I made last night, I mentioned boots on the ground as well as excel and tax skills as ways I can assist seasoned investors while learning the trade. That being said, sign me up!
  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Chris Martin:

    An Implementation suggestion


     You're sounding like a programmer.

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi:
    Originally posted by @Chris Martin:

    An Implementation suggestion

     You're sounding like a programmer.

    At least a 4 year Degree in Math and Computer Science and 20+ years of software development was good for something;)

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 266 posts · 240 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Roy N.:

    Hah! ... soon it will be snow shoes on the ground up here ... well, ok, not for a couple of months ;-)

    FYI, I think you misspelled "days" as "months".

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 266 posts · 240 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    I love the idea but there are two things that would prevent me from signing up.

    1. I have a child in grade school and the activities are VERY time consuming.  Lately I haven't had the time to seek out my own real estate deals, let alone try to help someone else with theirs.

    2. There seems to be a lot of BP members that put more emphasis on Cash Flow than they do on Property Class.  I can envision getting a lot of requests to check out properties in war zones.  No thanks!

    Re: your second point. I actually think that having someone with knowledge of the area may be beneficial for out-of-town investors. 

    For example, in our fair city, “Bakery Square” is located immediately adjacent to some of the worst parts of town. Someone who isn’t from here would think, “this is a fantastic deal in this Lincoln-Larimer neighborhood, just look how close it is to Bakery Square!” 

    BotG can notify that investor that several kids were recently caught in the crossfire of rival gangs a few blocks from where the white people are gleefully spending their cash at chain retail establishments.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    In many cases, a phone call to someone local can determine whether or not a property should be considered, local knowledge can't be gained on the internet. History and social opinion of neighborhoods, often a poor property may not pop up on criminal statistics, poor school ratings or districts, or other data. The fact that an area has a high sulfer content in the water that makes it stink and tastes horrible. Only the locals may know a drainage culvert isn't sufficient and rains back up into the front yards. These type issues may or may not show up in the remarks section of an appraisal. How many investors check the long range sewer plan of a city scheduling new sewer installations? Knowing local issues can save you thousands of dollars if you purchased the wrong property.

    This is why I don't buy in areas I don't know, I probably wouldn't buy a 15K house with pretty pictures that's 500  miles away, in fact, the cheaper it is the more you should dig understanding why and local knowledge generally exposes the reasons why. :)   

  • Homeowner · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 854 posts · 511 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Jeremy T.:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    I love the idea but there are two things that would prevent me from signing up.

    1. I have a child in grade school and the activities are VERY time consuming.  Lately I haven't had the time to seek out my own real estate deals, let alone try to help someone else with theirs.

    2. There seems to be a lot of BP members that put more emphasis on Cash Flow than they do on Property Class.  I can envision getting a lot of requests to check out properties in war zones.  No thanks!

    Re: your second point. I actually think that having someone with knowledge of the area may be beneficial for out-of-town investors. 

    For example, in our fair city, “Bakery Square” is located immediately adjacent to some of the worst parts of town. Someone who isn’t from here would think, “this is a fantastic deal in this Lincoln-Larimer neighborhood, just look how close it is to Bakery Square!” 

    BotG can notify that investor that several kids were recently caught in the crossfire of rival gangs a few blocks from where the white people are gleefully spending their cash at chain retail establishments.

    I totally agree that it would be a huge benefit and I am always willing to share my opinion on a Pittsburgh neighbhorhood if I am familiar with it.  My point was that there are BP members that wouldn't care about the property class because of the great cash flow.  There is a non active out of state member that is trying to sell a house where I grew up, and marketing it as a quiet dead end street near park.  Perhaps an investor that previously focused solely on cash flow and is now trying to unload his warzone property on somene else.

  • John HornerPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    12y

    I would definitely take advantage of this!

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    David, "signing up" or agreeing to join the BOTG network isn't an obligation to accept any request, more to you don't mind being contacted by members. If you don't have time  you could say so then. If it was in a war zone you could say you don't have expertise in that area and would prefer not to be involved in areas you don't feel comfortable in.

    This is one of those no obligation things, you can accept a request for assistance on its own merits or deny it :) 

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 45 posts · 18 votes
    12y

    @Bill Gulley Brilliant idea! I am definitely interested. Fyi I can handle bats and rattlesnakes   =D

  • Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 201 posts · 85 votes
    12y

    I like it. sign me up please

  • Canal Winchester, OH · Member since 2014 · 151 posts · 55 votes
    12y

    There is a option of payment i think people are forgetting. " ill go look at this house for you as long as you let me fallow you as the project go so i can LEARN how to do this better myself." i already flip houses ( not nearly as many as i would like ) and i also already own rentals ( again not as many as i would like ) and yes from time to time i wouldn't mind earning a few extra dollars but sometimes knowledge is better then money. 

  • Bridgeville, PA · Member since 2013 · 395 posts · 105 votes
    12y

    I can see how this can help and be a good way to network especially for experienced out of town investors to teach local newbies the trade, does money really need to be involved? If it is a newbie learning they should be willing to for free unless it is a really far drive.

    The other thing is if you are a client of an agent in that area they should be doing this for you for free as part of earning a commission for selling you a house, it is kind of our job lol.

  • Investor · Frazier Park, CA · Member since 2014 · 70 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    I would absolutely be interested in this. Networking and learning - it's the name of the game no matter what stage you are in as an investor!

  • Investor · Frazier Park, CA · Member since 2014 · 70 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    BTW, I am in the Central Valley of California.

  • Investor and Realtor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 46 posts · 18 votes
    12y

    Great Idea...Just Listened to Podcast 089 with some great suggestions how to find trusted partners for your team, especially distance investment, and this could be helpful.

    Sign me up.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Hey folks! 

    So, I think the idea is terrific, but I'm not sure we have the manpower to make anything real official right now, other than perhaps just creating a Google doc? Our developer has a list with well over 100 items on it (including our broken iPhone app and the upcoming wholesaling calculator!) so he's probably 6-8 months out on any new projects!  

    That said, the community is more than welcome to create something, perhaps a Google doc? Thoughts?

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    11y

    Well, I don't know what a goggle doc is, but I guess it's a solution or you wouldn't have suggested it!

    Yes, I'd rather see that popup removed when I try to use my PMs first. :)

    I'd think a good rehab calculator would take much longer than 6 months. Computing isn't the problem, it's the variables.

    Brandon, can you just add a link under networking that would provide a link to a doc where members could fill out;

    Name

    Location area to cover, say by zip code

    contact information

    Doesn't sound too involved, someone needing some boots really needs to speak to the person about assisting. I'd want to know their experience and abilities and discuss what was needed before just asking them to do something. :) 

  • Investor · Belleville, MI · Member since 2015 · 131 posts · 40 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Brandon Turner:

    Hey folks! 

    So, I think the idea is terrific, but I'm not sure we have the manpower to make anything real official right now, other than perhaps just creating a Google doc? Our developer has a list with well over 100 items on it (including our broken iPhone app and the upcoming wholesaling calculator!) so he's probably 6-8 months out on any new projects!  

    That said, the community is more than welcome to create something, perhaps a Google doc? Thoughts?

     would this be as simple as a profile question that is searchable?   I love the new flipping calculator btw.

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    This could be done in BP... see my 9/25/14 post.  If not...

    Simple 20+ minute Drive By REI spec

    My premise stands from 9/25/14. The person with the boots "owns" their data. Self administered data is the only way to go, IMO.

    People register and people login

    A registerdPerson has access to the site (minimalistic: first name, email)

    A registerdPerson can define their address, including zip, and a company. All this is optional.

    People can then define their boots. One or a bunch. As in "I have boots on the ground..." at a particular geographic address.

    People can define what their boots do. Boots walk, but don't knock. OR Boots walk and knock. People agree to a Boot Etiquette. Bill's post, basically. Could be implemented as a checklist and honor system for all to see. Etc. Fail to follow, and be Joe Gored for life.

    The address can be specific or generic, and this address becomes a "base" address. Zip codes are great. A city is great... sort of. It may help to limit big cities to areas. This is a big variable, IMO. A person can define a mileage range around the "base" address. Searches based on deltas between geo-address.... not necessarily drive time deltas. This isn't too hard to implement in PHP or equivalent.

    So a registerdPerson's boot has an associated address, and people can search out "boots" based on address or partial address (e.g. zip). Results of 0, 1, many "boot on the ground" to choose from.

    What/Whos "boots" are credible? Who is reliable? What, if any, compensation do I pay? All completely unknown to me. So... for the moment, I don't care. If a bpFeedback table or bpMonetization table is needed... then so be it.

    Main tables:
    bpRegisteredPerson
    bpBoots
    bpEtiquette

    Aux tables for 1:N bpRegisteredPerson:bpBoots and 1:1 bpBoots:bpEtiquette

    What this means:

    A registerdPerson can define 1 or more "boots"
    A registerdPerson can have 0 or more boots and contact another person with 0 or more boots.
    A registerdPerson can, on a per 'boot' basis, say 'my boots walk and knock'... or not.

    All this is easier to implement when the "what their boots do" part is well defined. What is needed?
    Take pictures?
    See if there is an occupant?
    Get property condition report information?
    Knock?
    And does that include property preservation stuff like ... Cut the grass?
    Remove papers from the driveway?
    Check on if the property is secure?
    Place a lock box?
    Represent the owner in small claims court?!?

    Where is the line, if any?

    All the above can be implemented with yes/no checkboxes. I suppose each could be monetized. Again, for the moment, I don't care. It's a service. Free service. Between "members".

    Well. Maybe 30 minutes now. I type slowly.

    If I (or someone) build it, will they come? It's not a question if I or someone else can put this into a simple database, it's a question if anyone would care to use it.

  • Virtual Assistant · Moulton, AL · Member since 2013 · 33 posts · 1 vote
    11y
    Originally posted by @Brandon Turner:

    Hey folks! 

    So, I think the idea is terrific, but I'm not sure we have the manpower to make anything real official right now, other than perhaps just creating a Google doc? Our developer has a list with well over 100 items on it (including our broken iPhone app and the upcoming wholesaling calculator!) so he's probably 6-8 months out on any new projects!  

    That said, the community is more than welcome to create something, perhaps a Google doc? Thoughts?

    Here is an ideal that could help you find properties. Hire a Virtual Assistant to help and pay them referral fees. Help the VA get the things he needs to do his job. Just an ideal.

  • Rental Property Investor · Beverly Hills, CA · Member since 2014 · 472 posts · 272 votes
    11y

    I can make an actual web app for this, a very basic version, in a few days. (maybe less?)

    ... should I?

  • Investor · Yokosuka, Japan · Member since 2014 · 631 posts · 184 votes
    10y

    II am wondering what happened to this active discussion? I know that local investors are great at supporting others with this. In fact I've had great experiences with a very supportive BP member in an area of interest, however, that is not the case in every area so I am very interested in having this as a service. It could be a Go See service a college kid or newbie could do for a few dollars. Some of the things I need someone to do are:

    1. Drive an area to determine it's not a war zone.
    2. If not a war zone, go in with the Realtor and take pictures / video of the property for consideration.

    What are some tasks you as an out of area investor need from a Go See service?

    What compensation do you think would be fair? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.