Toledo Ohio. Why is Toledo an investor friendly area?

Toledo Ohio. Why is Toledo an investor friendly area?

Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 1 vote

I have been noticing that there’s a lot of hype on the Toledo market.

I’m looking for all information about the Toledo market. I’m about 50 miles away from Toledo and maybe I could help someone with something in someway.

What area are people buying in? Campus? Or just anything that fits 1% rule?

1Reply
271 views

Most Popular Reply

Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y
Originally posted by @Thomas Yourkiewicz:

I have been noticing that there’s a lot of hype on the Toledo market.

I’m looking for all information about the Toledo market. I’m about 50 miles away from Toledo and maybe I could help someone with something in someway.

What area are people buying in? Campus? Or just anything that fits 1% rule?

It's funny you say this as 5 years ago there where only very few investors interested in the Toledo market.

As inventory has all but dried up nationwide, folks are starting to look elsewhere.

And some of those "not so sexy" markets back in the day like Toledo are finally getting a tonne of attention.

I caution investors looking at other markets than the Midwest.

Prices seem high and deals are very hard to come by.

In such instances it's always good to have dry powder ready for when the tide turns.

Toledo in my opinion is still a safe bet since I haven't seen it recover anywhere neat to market highs of 2006.

Here are some of the key areas that we invest in and where all of our investors are buying:

  • 43606
  • 43607
  • 43609
  • 43611
  • 43612
  • 43613

I'm also attaching screenshots with outlines of the exact location within our target zip codes.

As with any investment or business.

It always comes down to finding and working with the right people.

The market stats/demographics don't work for you.

The right people do.

I hope the above helps anyone looking to invest in Toledo.

Much success to all :)

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew FidlerBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Toledo, OH · Member since 2011 · 384 posts · 434 votes
    7y

    @Thomas Yourkiewicz - There is a great deal of information on BP about Toledo to help you understand its national appeal vs other cities, price, cash flow, and ease of entry are a few.

    My biggest lesson learned in Real Estate in general is - whatever your niche, you will do just fine provided you specialize, create an offering that meets a need in the market, and stay the course when you have hurdles.

    This holds true if you specialize offering housing to professionals who need high-end temporary housing while assigned to long term projects...medical facility rentals with nursing staff provided...and for every aspect of servicing the investing community (hard money, note buying, appraisals, etc) which gets you out of the landlord role altogether.

    One sure way to fail is to constantly shift your focus and jump between cities, neighborhoods, or investments. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2019 · 115 posts · 72 votes
    7y

    @Thomas Yourkiewicz I am born & raised in Toledo but a newbie to real estate.

    You will find investors around every corner. Washington local schools are popular where there is decent value for the price. South Toledo Beverly school area 43614 has been popular. Many continue to venture into the D neighborhoods of 43608, 43609, and 43605 where you can find a duplex for 20k.

    You mentioned campus - you will get mixed reviews from different people I am sure on student housing in general, but I don't believe it's as popular with the out-of-town investors. Lots people have had bad experiences from student housing and vowed never again. Along with the hesitation of students trashing the place, the areas surrounding UT are tricky to navigate. I personally think that campus can be conquered if approached correctly with a different mindset and set of processes and procedures tailored to that segment, it's just a different animal. There is a good podcast on student housing but I forgot the number!

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Thomas Yourkiewicz:

    I have been noticing that there’s a lot of hype on the Toledo market.

    I’m looking for all information about the Toledo market. I’m about 50 miles away from Toledo and maybe I could help someone with something in someway.

    What area are people buying in? Campus? Or just anything that fits 1% rule?

    It's funny you say this as 5 years ago there where only very few investors interested in the Toledo market.

    As inventory has all but dried up nationwide, folks are starting to look elsewhere.

    And some of those "not so sexy" markets back in the day like Toledo are finally getting a tonne of attention.

    I caution investors looking at other markets than the Midwest.

    Prices seem high and deals are very hard to come by.

    In such instances it's always good to have dry powder ready for when the tide turns.

    Toledo in my opinion is still a safe bet since I haven't seen it recover anywhere neat to market highs of 2006.

    Here are some of the key areas that we invest in and where all of our investors are buying:

    • 43606
    • 43607
    • 43609
    • 43611
    • 43612
    • 43613

    I'm also attaching screenshots with outlines of the exact location within our target zip codes.

    As with any investment or business.

    It always comes down to finding and working with the right people.

    The market stats/demographics don't work for you.

    The right people do.

    I hope the above helps anyone looking to invest in Toledo.

    Much success to all :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2019 · 115 posts · 72 votes
    7y

    @Thomas Yourkiewicz Podcast #140 if you are interested in student housing.

  • Investor · Marin County California · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Daniel/Engelo: what do you guys think about commercial opportunities in the downtown/Henville area?  

  • Rental Property Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2019 · 115 posts · 72 votes
    7y

    @Darius Ogloza

    It would be super cool but my guess is that the big dogs are in there and taking every opportunity they can at slim margins with all the resources to make it happen. There are some vacant buildings and lots that could be developed but sometimes the old owners hold onto those until they get top dollar and you have to have a plan to turn it around. It's not my ballpark, pun intended, as a small-fry investor.

    Dan

  • Investor · Marin County California · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Thanks, Dan.  Over the past year or so, I have seen a couple of smaller commercial buildings come on the market that seem to be at tempting price points - 415 N Michigan (listed for $199,000) is a current example.   My mother in law lives near Toledo and my wife and I visit from time to time.  From my limited vantage point, gentrification downtown seems to be progressing - I just wonder which way the momentum is swinging these days.  Do you expect more improvement or do you think the wave of improvement is stalling/petering out?   

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Darius Ogloza:

    Daniel/Engelo: what do you guys think about commercial opportunities in the downtown/Henville area?  

    It's too expensive and their really aren't that many great deals to be had.

    Single family are your best bet for great deals in Toledo.

    The multifamily market is also at all time high's.

    Be patient as the deals are always out there.

    Just don't stop looking :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Whittier, CA · Member since 2018 · 68 posts · 18 votes
    7y

    question for you guys. how is the rental demands in the 43623 areas. ive came accross few potential properties. but not sure how rental demand is. ive checked zillow and seem to see the same properties "for rent" posted for over a month. is there is little demand in this zipcode even though its in a better area?

  • Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Engelo Rumora

    Thanks for connecting me to this forum.

    In your opinion, from the areas that you posted here, which are the best for flip deals and why?

    Thank you very much!

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Edwin Martinez:

    question for you guys. how is the rental demands in the 43623 areas. ive came accross few potential properties. but not sure how rental demand is. ive checked zillow and seem to see the same properties "for rent" posted for over a month. is there is little demand in this zipcode even though its in a better area?

    Zillow is a crapshoot mate.

    It doesn't run accurate data un tertiary markets like Toledo.

    43623 is the a prime rental market for Toledo.

    Well rehabbed and well marketed properties will get tenanted fairly quickly.

    Spend time in getting to know the area better and visit town multiple times.

    Much success

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Omri Galili:

    @Engelo Rumora

    Thanks for connecting me to this forum.

    In your opinion, from the areas that you posted here, which are the best for flip deals and why?

    Thank you very much!

    43623 would be the best to flip in.

    I didn't post that zip code lol

    The reason is because you can get top dollar from homeowners wanting to live in that zip code due to the school district.

    Much success

  • Real Estate Agent · Toledo, OH · Member since 2019 · 88 posts · 38 votes
    7y

    @Omri Galili 

    I would say that of the areas that Engelo listed, 43611 (Washington Local Schools), 43606, 43612, 43613 will likely be your best bets for flips.  You do still need to do your research regarding areas within the zip codes. 

    I am currently doing flips in 43613 and in 43616 (Oregon) and am anticipating pretty good numbers on them both.  You can make many areas work as long as the numbers are good.  

    Downtown Toledo is its own beast.  I would say that things are continuing to trend in the right direction, but it's a slow process for anything down there.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Whittier, CA · Member since 2018 · 68 posts · 18 votes
    7y

    @Engelo Rumora yes of course thanks i look every where i can for rental info i.e. craigslist, facebook, trulia, and even management companies websites from the area. Zillow is the first thing i go to but it is definately not the only. If i see too long of listings or not enough listing on zillow ill look in the other areas to verify the rental info. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Edwin Martinez I have a property in west Toledo Ohio 43612 for sale you may be interested in

  • Realtor · Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    In Toledo do the tenants pay water and Sewer? I have rentals in Cleveland....a mixture of Section 8 and Non-Section 8 and it is basically understood that the landlord is responsible for water/sewer.

  • Andrew FidlerBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Toledo, OH · Member since 2011 · 384 posts · 434 votes
    7y

    @Brian Garlington

    All Toledo water accounts are in the owner’s name. 

    You can have tenants responsible to pay for water/sewer/trash per the lease but if the bill goes unpaid and an eviction occurs then the owner will be responsible to pay the bill. 

    Ultimately the city reserves the right to lien the property and recoup their funds via a foreclosure action if necessary. 

  • Realtor · Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Andrew Fidler

    Thanks for the reply sir..........That's pretty much how it is in Cleveland also....Because of this, most owners just keep it in their own name to avoid the hastle.

  • Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    7y
    Awesome Info! Say can anyone refer me to a professional Toledo Ohio Property Management Firm. Have a SFR 3/2 with nice shop that will be ready soon which I need to get under property management. Thanks for any referrals
    Originally posted by @Engelo Rumora:
    Originally posted by @Thomas Yourkiewicz:

    I have been noticing that there’s a lot of hype on the Toledo market.

    I’m looking for all information about the Toledo market. I’m about 50 miles away from Toledo and maybe I could help someone with something in someway.

    What area are people buying in? Campus? Or just anything that fits 1% rule?

    It's funny you say this as 5 years ago there where only very few investors interested in the Toledo market.

    As inventory has all but dried up nationwide, folks are starting to look elsewhere.

    And some of those "not so sexy" markets back in the day like Toledo are finally getting a tonne of attention.

    I caution investors looking at other markets than the Midwest.

    Prices seem high and deals are very hard to come by.

    In such instances it's always good to have dry powder ready for when the tide turns.

    Toledo in my opinion is still a safe bet since I haven't seen it recover anywhere neat to market highs of 2006.

    Here are some of the key areas that we invest in and where all of our investors are buying:

    • 43606
    • 43607
    • 43609
    • 43611
    • 43612
    • 43613

    I'm also attaching screenshots with outlines of the exact location within our target zip codes.

    As with any investment or business.

    It always comes down to finding and working with the right people.

    The market stats/demographics don't work for you.

    The right people do.

    I hope the above helps anyone looking to invest in Toledo.

    Much success to all :)

  • Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Sorry for any duplication. Looking for referrals on any Toledo Property Managers 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 77 posts · 36 votes
    5y

    @Engelo Rumora

    Hello Engelo.

    12 months from this post are over.

    Are these still the good zip codes? :) and what kind of properties class/neighbors can be found there?

    What’s changed in 12 months?

    Thank you!

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Amedeo M.:

    @Engelo Rumora

    Hello Engelo.

    12 months from this post are over.

    Are these still the good zip codes? :) and what kind of properties class/neighbors can be found there?

    What’s changed in 12 months?

    Thank you!

    Thanks for the mention.

    Same old, same old mate.

    Toledo just works great as a buy & hold rental market.

    We started our business in 2014 and have been doing the "same old" thing from day one.

    Currently we are hottest on the 43609 zip code.

    Other zip codes work also.

    It's all sold B class IMO.

    There is more competition now when buying as finally folks are awake to the Toledo market.

    Much success

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 77 posts · 36 votes
    5y

    @Engelo Rumora

    Appreciate your answer and I see you are very active in the area :) I made my online research.

    Do you have lending options for foreigners investors that buy with you?

    Cheers

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Amedeo M.:

    @Engelo Rumora

    Appreciate your answer and I see you are very active in the area :) I made my online research.

    Do you have lending options for foreigners investors that buy with you?

    Cheers

    We only work with cash buyers

    My apologies 

    Thanks 

  • Rental Property Investor · Augusta, GA · Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    Do any of you have investor minded contractor connection (sounds like a good way to put it)?  I own a duplex in Toledo on Charlestown and looking to do some exterior reno work. 
    Appreciate any suggestions. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.