$23,000 house

$23,000 house

Dawn AnastasiPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes

On the Bigger Pockets Podcast Show 29, I spoke about very low-priced houses that I'm buying in Milwaukee. In the show, Josh made the comment, "my neighbor just built a garage for $25,000" Other people have commented that $25,000 will buy you a nice car or SUV.

Can you really get a house for about that amount?

I just purchased a 2-bedroom single-family home on September 6. The house was originally available back in April/May 2013 as a short sale, then went to foreclosure. It was listed at $25,000 and I made an offer for $23,000 and the offer was accepted.

Okay, well what kind of condition house can you buy for $23,000?

Surprisingly, this house was in livable condition right off the bat. It had some cosmetic issues that I needed to address. Here are some pictures from before renovation:

I had a professional inspection done on the house and the inspector gave me the thumbs up. The house came with some nice features:

- Furnace was a newer high-efficiency (about 7 years old)

- Stove and refrigerator included

- Master bedroom had skylight and vaulted ceiling

- A significant portion of the plumbing in the house had already been replaced/upgraded

- Vinyl windows throughout

- 2.5 car garage with opener

Work that I did to rehab it:

- Painted the living room, hallway, second bedroom, and kitchen

- Replaced the kitchen floor with ceramic tile

- Replaced the basement windows with glass block

- Re-sided the garage

- Put a new door on the garage

And some other cosmetic fixes.

The tenants just moved in this past weekend and they love the house so far. The best feature is that it's very energy efficient. They were living in an 80 year old house where they had to crank the heat up to 90 and still had to run space heaters. The heat was only at 60 degrees and it was more than warm enough. They had asked their landlord to upgrade the windows and the landlord would not do it.

What does a $23,000 house rent for?

I'm getting $825 per month with the tenants paying gas/electric and taking care of the lawn care.

Overall, it's a great deal, but it did come up at a bad time as I was trying to rent out both units in a duplex and I still have another single-family home waiting in the wings for me to rehab. So I've been crazy busy getting this one up and running with everything else I've been doing. (And working a full-time job where I'm crazy busy there too!) But I would definitely do it again.

7Reply
43 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
12y

Nice deal. Those are the kind of numbers I like too!

I always cringe when someone mentions they're buying a house for $90,000 and renting it for $1,000. I like your numbers better....

See this reply in the discussion

79 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Nice deal. Those are the kind of numbers I like too!

    I always cringe when someone mentions they're buying a house for $90,000 and renting it for $1,000. I like your numbers better....

  • Insurance Agent · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2013 · 84 posts · 25 votes
    12y

    Very nice!

    Can't find those kind of deals in Colorado Springs, at least not that I am aware of.

    Nice work!

  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 384 posts · 109 votes
    12y

    Nice work, thanks for sharing Dawn. Dawn I was looking at a few single-families that probably are not too far from where you invest - I was just wondering what is the square footage of this property?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    I have a listing for about that much. 1900s home with no conforming bedrooms, bad roof, mold, never been updated and it sits in a flood way just outside a very rural community 20 miles from the nearest large town.

    Nice work Dawn!

  • Dave CarpenterPro Member
    Investor · Cedarburg, WI · Member since 2013 · 439 posts · 150 votes
    12y

    @Dawn Anastasi - sounds like another of your great finds! out of curiosity, what is the square footage of that property?

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Dan C. this house is 762 square feet. A smaller place, but for a 2-bedroom it works. Of the tenants, the guy was most interested in the basement space to use as a music room.

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Hey @Dawn Anastasi , great buy. Could I get a six pack of those to go? :-)

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Dawn Anastasi

    I love the numbers. If you don't mind me asking. What kind of neighborhood are these houses located in?

  • Sun Prairie, WI · Member since 2013 · 150 posts · 69 votes
    12y

    Wow. That's amazing. You can't touch anything livable in my area for anywhere near that price!

  • Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2013 · 658 posts · 315 votes
    12y

    Sounds like you have too many deals. When you are ready to start wholesaling I think there might be a few buyers for you on BP. That is a cash cow.

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    12y

    Well done

    Brewcity in full action mode

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 141 posts · 93 votes
    12y

    @Dawn Anastasi - this is so amazing, I am still trying to believe these numbers! Wow! Talk about a home run :)

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Bremerton, WA · Member since 2013 · 494 posts · 142 votes
    12y

    Incredible - nice job!

  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 384 posts · 109 votes
    12y

    Thanks Dawn. I have definitely seen these kind of houses on the NW side, I am sure @Dave Carpenter has too. It helps to see what can be done with them.

  • Real Estate Investor · Hampton, VA · Member since 2012 · 562 posts · 109 votes
    12y

    Good deal! I think a lot of investors may believe properties in this price range are basically a demo or in a bad area. Even if it's in what's labeled as a bad area , everyone needs a place to live .

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Dawn Anastasi

    Great job, the place looks good. Did you do much work?

    I have 2 settlement this week for:

    $36,000 three bedroom house last sale $108,000

    $41,000 three bedroom house last sale $113,000

    Obviously not as good as your purchase, keep up the great work.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    This property is 2 miles from my house. It's about the same type of neighborhood as my own home, but a slightly busier street. There's a newer charter school about a block away across the street.

  • Beverly Hills, FL · Member since 2013 · 388 posts · 62 votes
    12y
    Dawn thanks for sharing. I would love to find properties like that Great job
  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by David Krulac:

    Great job, the place looks good. Did you do much work?

    I have 2 settlement this week for:

    $36,000 three bedroom house last sale $108,000

    $41,000 three bedroom house last sale $113,000

    Obviously not as good as your purchase, keep up the great work.

    David,

    I put approximately $5,000 into it. The most expensive parts were re-siding the garage and the new garage door, plus replacing all the basement windows with glass block. But everything looks really good.

    I think the numbers you're getting are really great too! 3 bedroom houses rent out for more than 2 bedroom houses.

  • Rental Property Investor · Culver City, CA · Member since 2012 · 403 posts · 246 votes
    12y

    Wow. Another home run @Dawn Anastasi. Thanks for sharing and motivating me to find better deals.

  • Real Estate Investor · atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 456 posts · 237 votes
    12y

    Nice buy! The key is getting it rented quickly and keeping it rented. There are still some cheap deals in the metro Atlanta market but renting here can be a nightmare. I created a shared housing model that is producing very well. We end up taking over quite a few investor props in our market and then renting as shared housing for better returns and lower repair/vacancy. We just took over a 3/2 in tucker that had barely been returning $500/mo on a $140k investment. We finished off a basement bedroom and it's netting $1550/mo with shared housing. Huge difference. Happy investing!

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Dawn Anastasi:
    Originally posted by David Krulac:

    Great job, the place looks good. Did you do much work?

    I have 2 settlement this week for:

    $36,000 three bedroom house last sale $108,000

    $41,000 three bedroom house last sale $113,000

    Obviously not as good as your purchase, keep up the great work.

    David,

    I put approximately $5,000 into it. The most expensive parts were re-siding the garage and the new garage door, plus replacing all the basement windows with glass block. But everything looks really good.

    I think the numbers you're getting are really great too! 3 bedroom houses rent out for more than 2 bedroom houses.

    Thanks for sharing Dawn.

    There are many deals in Kansas City like the few you mentioned above.

    The risk is minimised due to the low entry price.

    Most of them are also in solid B class areas.

    Thanks and have a great day.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Andy Luck:
    I created a shared housing model that is producing very well.

    When you say "shared housing" do you mean like a boarding house? I would think that type of arrangement is more money, but also more turnover.

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Dawn Anastasi

    I'm thinking of maybe $850 rent for those 2 and most of the work is cleaning and painting and floor covering, except a porch roof needs replaced.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Brant Richardson:
    Sounds like you have too many deals. When you are ready to start wholesaling I think there might be a few buyers for you on BP. That is a cash cow.

    Well these type of houses do not come along every day, but one key point is that I found this right from the MLS. It was available to anyone to buy. I believe that there is a lot that is not listed that could be as good or even better deals.

    As far as wholesaling, there are about 20 regulars on BP from WI but not a ton of people; if you mean people from out of state -- not everyone is comfortable investing out of state and I wouldn't recommend it unless someone felt comfortable doing it.

    There has been a lot of debate on BP about that and there are many that argue that deals can be found anywhere -- even in supposedly expensive markets like California and New York as others are doing it today.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.