Looking for general investment advice in greater Seattle area.

Most Popular Reply

Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10mo
Quote from @Omair Abbasi:

Hi, 

I am looking for some advice on what area and property type to choose in the greater Seattle area to invest around 500k. I am looking mostly for passive cash flow opportunities.


 I'd honestly look into the midwest. That money will go a lot further. Ton of tech companies are investing here like intel, google, amazon. Good market for cashflow and strong appreciation.

I've got 28 units here and sold over 120 properties this year to OOS investors here.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Everett, WA · Member since 2015 · 458 posts · 386 votes
    10mo

    @Omair Abbasi there really isn't anything passive about investing in real estate and especially not in the greater Seattle area. Depending on how hands on you want to be with your investment will be the determining factor in how you deploy your capital. If you really want something that doesn't require any of your attention, I think you might want to look at REIT's. They are professionally managed with audited financials and you can trade in / out of them at will with minimal transaction costs.

    If you do want to make a direct investment, then you will need to determine additional details.  Specifically, you need to determine what risks / work you are comfortable taking on to achieve your objective.  I would start by looking at current listings to see what's for sale in different neighborhoods.  Once you find an area you like you can look up current rentals in those neighborhoods. This will allow you to run numbers and determine which properties might meet your desired goals.

    John 

  • Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10mo
    Quote from @Omair Abbasi:

    Hi, 

    I am looking for some advice on what area and property type to choose in the greater Seattle area to invest around 500k. I am looking mostly for passive cash flow opportunities.


     I'd honestly look into the midwest. That money will go a lot further. Ton of tech companies are investing here like intel, google, amazon. Good market for cashflow and strong appreciation.

    I've got 28 units here and sold over 120 properties this year to OOS investors here.

    • Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 5 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Alfath Ahmed:
      Quote from @Omair Abbasi:

      Hi, 

      I am looking for some advice on what area and property type to choose in the greater Seattle area to invest around 500k. I am looking mostly for passive cash flow opportunities.


       I'd honestly look into the midwest. That money will go a lot further. Ton of tech companies are investing here like intel, google, amazon. Good market for cashflow and strong appreciation.

      I've got 28 units here and sold over 120 properties this year to OOS investors here.


       Thanks Alfath, I am interested in knowing more about the opportunities in the midwest.

  • Kerlous TadresBusiness Member
    Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10mo

    Hey @Omair Abbasi, I'd focus on small multifamily or newer low-maintenance properties, since they usually give you the best shot at true passive cash flow without heavy management. From my experience, the key is finding something with strong rent-to-price ratios and minimal CapEx so your returns stay predictable.

    Kerlous Tadres | Reafco Real Estate540 Reviews
  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 930 votes
    10mo

    @Omair Abbasi

    Hi Omair, I’m not very familiar with Seattle specifically, but if you’re open to Midwest markets, there are a lot of opportunities for passive cashflow. Lower entry costs, strong rents relative to purchase price, and less competition make it easier to scale a portfolio. Many investors find off-market deals and boots-on-the-ground support help maximize cashflow while keeping things manageable.

  • Frank PyleBusiness Member
    Specialist · USA · Member since 2024 · 279 posts · 130 votes
    10mo

    Hey Omair, great question and a smart budget for getting into the greater Seattle market. At a high level, the “right” area and property type for passive cash flow in that range is going to depend a lot on your tolerance for older properties vs. newer ones, how involved you want to be with management, and whether you’re open to being a bit farther from the core for better yield. I run an investment analysis concierge service where I help investors match markets/property types to their goals and then underwrite specific deals, so if you’d like, I’m happy to walk through what a $500k “passive cash flow” strategy could look like for you in Seattle and help narrow it down.

    Frank Pyle at ExP Realty
    NEXA Lending- Investors Edge Concierge
    View Page
  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9mo

    @Omair Abbasi

    I believe with your $500k budget in the greater Seattle area, you will usually get the best passive cash flow potential by looking just outside the core markets like Tacoma, Federal Way and Everett. I suggest for the property type a small multifamily duplex or triplex or single family with an ADU will give you the most stable income with lower mangmt costs. You should also focus on neighborhoods with solid rental demand, good commuter access and properties that need minimal work so the cash flow stays truly passive.

    Good luck!

  • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 0 votes
    9mo
    prob not in Seattle, you'd have to go really east like tri-cities and around there, or get something around Leavenworth for an airbnb, unless you have a hard money lender than that could work in maximizing your buyer power. (WS in seattle the last 6 years 40 deals here in state)
  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 383 posts · 248 votes
    9mo

    I agree with Tacoma and south. $500k will go much further than in Seattle proper. Best of luck.

  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    9mo

    As a Seattle investor, I’d focus just outside the city for better cash flow. Areas like Renton, Kent, Auburn, Lynnwood, Everett, and Tacoma tend to pencil better around $500k, especially with small multifamily or modest single-family rentals, while Seattle proper is more of an appreciation play than passive cash flow. If you're up for it, Bellingham has some projects that work for that range. 

  • Michael HaasBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Redmond, 🌧️ Seattle Investor-Agent | 🤑 Helped 400+ Clients Invest in Real Estate | 🏘️ Owns 23 WA Rentals & Airbnbs | 🏗️ Built 5 DADU's | 📈 You Can Do It Too · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 3k+ votes
    8mo

    @Omair Abbasi I would look to Burien, Kent/Des Moines, Monroe, and a few other markets. Feel free to DM me. Cheers!

    HouseHack Seattle | Michael Haas & Team572 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.