My First Flip - An Amazing Experience!

My First Flip - An Amazing Experience!

Flipper/Rehabber · Miamisburg, OH · Member since 2014 · 161 posts · 64 votes

Wow! Where to begin!?!

A quick background on how I got involved in real estate investing.  I started a new job a couple years ago.  About a year in, my boss asked me if I was interested in retiring in 10 year.  I obviously said yes!  He started talking to me about real estate investing.  He has 3 duplexes in an upscale neighborhood of Cincinnati that cash flow very well.  So I started digging around and found Bigger Pockets.  I spoke with the wife about this and she wasn't really on board with the whole rental thing.  So I brought up fix and flips, which she was a little more cautiously open to due to the "short term" nature of owning the property and not dealing with tenants.  Now that the first flip is done, I think she's more on board with fix and flips or rentals. ;-)

Looking back on the last 6 months, I really didn't know what I didn't know!  Thankfully I have a good realtor that has worked with investors and knows what's needed to buy a house at the right price in order to make a profit.  They say you make money when you first buy a home - well without him, I probably wouldn't be writing this success story!

We put together a search in suburbs on the north side of Cincinnati primarily in 3 good school districts - Lakota, Mason & Sycamore.  It probably took us about 2 months to find the right property because it was my first 1 and I really didn't want to deal with a "train wreck" for my first property.  The house had been sitting on the market for about 8 months and was extremely overpriced - starting at $109k and had slowly fallen to $90k.  We took a chance and put an offer in at $60k.  After a little back and forth, we agreed on $62,750.  We closed on the house on 2/25/14.  I used a construction loan for $84k and borrowed $20k from a good friend to fund the down payment on the loan.

Over the next 3 months, with the help of my parents and my father-in-law we rehabbed the home.  As with any first time rehab, I completely whiffed on the budget!  I had $21k budgeted for the rehab.  Once it was all done, I came in at $27,637.94.  Taking a step back to look at what happened, I really only whiffed in 2 areas.  I had a new roof, gutters and soffits put on the house.  I had budgeted $6k for this.  Ended up being almost $9k.  The other item was windows.  I wasn't planning on doing windows as they didn't look horrible - just needed a little work.  Well that didn't work out and we ended up replacing the windows for $3k.  The rest of the budget items weren't way off - saved here and overspent there.

Put the house up for sale on 6/9/14 for $139,900.  Had 5 showings in the first week and received an offer for $135k after 7 days on the market.  Had a few minor things come up in the inspection that were taken care of and that was about it.  They had some issues on the loan that delayed closing.  But ultimately closed on 7/31/14.

Purchase Price - $62,750

Rehab - $27,637.94

Carrying Costs - $3,098.39

Commissions, fees, etc - $8,316

Seller paid closing costs - $1,000

Interest on hard money loan - $5,000

Total Expenses - $107,802.33

Sale Price - $135,000

Profit - $27,197.67

It was a pretty grueling 3 months of work, but in the end it was a great learning experience and I have a degree from the School of Hard Knocks!  I've learned that in order to grow this business, I need to get out of the rehab part of it.  I'm already in talks with the contractor that did the roof to do the whole rehab.  We've looked at a couple houses together and his prices are inline with where I think they need to be.

Sorry for being so long winded and thanks for reading!

BEFORE PICTURES!

AFTER PICTURES!

Random before and after shot of the hallway.

15Reply
433 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Middletown, OH · Member since 2014 · 30 posts · 14 votes
12y

You did an awesome job Tim. Great looking house and even better looking profit. If you need free labor help on your next flip then fill free to contact me.

See this reply in the discussion

74 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Chantilly, VA · Member since 2014 · 249 posts · 31 votes
    12y

    @Tim G. - What are the few lessons learned and would be careful when you go to the next one.

    Btw, its really amazing!!

  • Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 37 posts · 7 votes
    12y

    Looks awesome. It inspires me to move from strictly buy and hold, to try a fix and flip.  Keep it up!

  • Investor · Westminster, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Tim

    Using round numbers, you said you budgeted $21K and spent $27K.  My only point was that if you did a first budget of, let's say, $40K, and then work it through 3-4 times and were able to drop the budget to $30K, you would have been close.

    I guess I should explain a little bit. Having been an accountant, there were two basic ways to budget, "Zero Based" and "Add On." Zero based means you start at zero and add each item into the budget. Add On means that I had a $1,000,000 budget last year so this year I am adding on 10% for a budget of $1,100,000. So let's say you walk through a house, and in your mind you see carpet, paint, new kitchen, new bathroom, one wall removal, popcorn ceiling removal and general cleanup. Total: $20,000. Then DOUBLE that in your head and then get to work on some real numbers. Add this, subtract that, re-work this, contingency this, etc... So then you get several budgets. Bare minimum budget. Budget adding in new windows. Budget with new landscaping. Budget with new roof. And of course a mixture of them. So many new flippers have a budget that ends up being 90% ARV and the selling and holding costs eats any and all profit.

    The reason I say to DOUBLE it is to be conservative.  Even the most experienced flipper will miss something on EVERY flip.  Sometimes it is hiding behind a wall, in a basement or even underground (can we say CRACKED FOUNDATION).  You did an excellent job, but I bet 99.9% of first flips go OVER the original budget.  You didn't go over much and turned a nice, tidy profit.  Congratulations!  I bet it won't be long until you post a flip that doubles the profit on this one!  Keep the great stories coming!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bryan, TX · Member since 2014 · 258 posts · 170 votes
    12y

    Congratulations.  Thanks for sharing!

  • Ronald PerichPro Member
    Investor · Granite City, IL · Member since 2014 · 658 posts · 301 votes
    12y

    Really nice job. Still not convinced I can get my wife on board with the real estate thing, yet. That's one of the reasons I am taking so much time putting in place all of the practices we'll use and the business plan. She has to be convinced before I can go out and start this business in earnest. Quite frankly, she'll be the one doing most of the work so she better be on board :)

    I'm really impressed with the effort you put into this house. A very nice job indeed.

  • Ronald PerichPro Member
    Investor · Granite City, IL · Member since 2014 · 658 posts · 301 votes
    12y

    @Mike McKinzie This is an excellent piece of advice. I see this all of the time in my line of work (not real estate related). Usually it is with schedule and budget. Almost always we accept the best case as the most realistic and don't factor any "gotchas" into the thing.

  • Investor · Norwalk, CA · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Great Profit! It's stories like this that encourage me to really get into the business. Thank you very much for sharing your experience with everyone. I'll make sure to do the same, good or bad.

  • Renter · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 30 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    That's great, much success to you. Thanks for the motivation as well. Did you read  J Scott book on flipping houses ? 

  • Real Estate Investor · austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 57 posts · 7 votes
    12y

    wonderful flip.  I am interested in doing a flip but I would rather started with a buy and hold.  Where did you find the CG? 

    Congrats on the new baby!

    Daniella Ortiz

  • Investor · Peoria, IL · Member since 2014 · 76 posts · 44 votes
    12y

    Wonderful share!

  • Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 84 posts · 27 votes
    12y

    Great end product and the numbers looked good too. Call it a win-win!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Miamisburg, OH · Member since 2014 · 161 posts · 64 votes
    12y

    @Jason Eyerly I found this property on the MLS. I haven't invested much time in looking outside the MLS yet. But I'm hoping to attend the next Cincinnati REIA meeting to try networking and finding other properties off market.

    @Damon Armstrong The $20,000 I borrowed from my friend is buried in the purchase price of the home to pay the down payment on the loan.  You are double dipping by taking the $25k from the profit.

    @Nilesh Makhija 3 main lessons I learned.  1. You make profit when you buy the house.  If you overspend on the initial purchase, it doesn't matter what the rehab looks like, you won't make any profit.  2. With the correct contractors, you can spend very close to the same amount of money on the rehab as if you did it yourself.  3.  To grow the business, I need to get out of the rehab portion - it takes too much time and effort on my part.

    @Mike McKinzie I see what you're saying now.  Makes a lot of sense.  Will definitely try to do my budget that way for the next one.

    @Frank Dortilus I did not read J Scott's book.  Although, I probably should! 

    @Daniella Ortiz I'm into cars as a hobby and the GC is another local car guy that I know.

  • Real Estate Agent · Charleston, SC · Member since 2013 · 424 posts · 99 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Tim G.:

    @Jason Eyerly I found this property on the MLS. I haven't invested much time in looking outside the MLS yet. But I'm hoping to attend the next Cincinnati REIA meeting to try networking and finding other properties off market.

    @Damon Armstrong The $20,000 I borrowed from my friend is buried in the purchase price of the home to pay the down payment on the loan.  You are double dipping by taking the $25k from the profit.

    @Nilesh Makhija 3 main lessons I learned.  1. You make profit when you buy the house.  If you overspend on the initial purchase, it doesn't matter what the rehab looks like, you won't make any profit.  2. With the correct contractors, you can spend very close to the same amount of money on the rehab as if you did it yourself.  3.  To grow the business, I need to get out of the rehab portion - it takes too much time and effort on my part.

    @Mike McKinzie I see what you're saying now.  Makes a lot of sense.  Will definitely try to do my budget that way for the next one.

    @Frank Dortilus I did not read J Scott's book.  Although, I probably should! 

    @Daniella Ortiz I'm into cars as a hobby and the GC is another local car guy that I know.

    Definitely read J Scott's books! He goes very into detail about building a team and streamlining things to be as efficient and removed from every detail as possible. He recommends things like using the same paint and lights, etc. On each flip so nobody is calling to ask what lights to get from home Depot, they already know. Excellent read. I will be going through them a second time as I get much closer to starting my first flip. Flipping I think can be very lucrative for the time invested if done properly.

  • Real Estate Professional · San Francisco-East bay, CA · Member since 2013 · 340 posts · 50 votes
    12y

    Hi @Tim G. 

       Great job. Congratulations.  I am an out of town investor in Cincy market. Will send connect. 

    Thanks, 

    Naveen.

  • Investor · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2014 · 64 posts · 31 votes
    12y

    I do not plan on flipping just yet but this post is super inspiring @Tim G.  Congrats! Your hard work drives me to post a success story such as yours one day.

  • Investor · Lawrenceville, GA · Member since 2014 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    Great to hear about your success Tim!

  • Bulawayo, Zimbabwe · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 253 votes
    11y

    Old post.great story for a first flip

  • Rental Property Investor · Staten Island, NY · Member since 2015 · 86 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    did you keep the Original kitchen cabinets or just restained?  Looks good man.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Miamisburg, OH · Member since 2014 · 161 posts · 64 votes
    11y

    @Alfonso Velazquez we replaced the cabinets.  www.rtacabinetstore.com

  • Jamane Y.Pro Member
    Greensboro, NC · Member since 2013 · 169 posts · 29 votes
    11y
    Congratulations. I'm sure it was a great learning experience. JY
  • Investor · near Richmond, VA · Member since 2014 · 38 posts · 7 votes
    11y

    Great job Tim! It's eerily similar to my first rehab (a dated brick rancher), which will close in 3 weeks. We closed on the purchase side on 3/6 for. We got the contract a couple of weeks ago, but they wanted to close in Sept. Had almost an identical amount budgeted for the rehab and almost the identical amount actually spent. We also had 6000 budgeted for the roof and didn't think we were going to redo the windows but ended up doing them. I used the identical tile in the hall bath and the same cabinet except in white and subway tiles for the shower. Kitchen looks almost the same. Also figured out about halfway through that hiring out more work is def the way to go, but so glad we were hands on for this first job. 

    Best of luck to you, place looks amazing! 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Miamisburg, OH · Member since 2014 · 161 posts · 64 votes
    11y

    @Laura R. congrats on the sale of your house!  I'm actually listing my 3rd finished rehab this week.  I've learned to that subbing the work out is pretty much a necessity to be able to expand.  I've also learned that I overspent on this first house by probably a solid $7-10k!

  • Investor · near Richmond, VA · Member since 2014 · 38 posts · 7 votes
    11y

    Oh, didn't realize this was an older post, lol! Glad you were able to keep going. We have learned A LOT though this process and hope to be where you are by next year, closing on 3rd or more. We actually assembled a pretty decent group of subs for moving forward, but the problem now is just finding the next deal. It took us months and 8 offers to find this place, where the numbers worked AND we could get through the process of competing and actually getting the winning offer. My area is a bit of a hotbed for rehabbers, so there may be 10-15+ offers on a place if it looks good and is in the right area. Wishing you continued success! 

  • Houma, LA · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    @Tim G.

    Beautiful work buddy!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.