Closed 5 Houses Today! :)

Closed 5 Houses Today! :)

Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 688 posts · 607 votes

When it rains, it pours in this game of real estate! Below are the numbers. They are brief, let me know if you guys have any questions!!!! 

So I bought 4 rentals in a rough area, and one rehab.

4 Rentals:

3 of the rentals were from the same seller on the same street. The other rental was on a street 3 streets over from the other 3. These are low class areas (D+, C-). I bought them for present cash flow and future potential. They are a 1 mile from broadway, and parts of the area have nashville skyline views. The area is also sandwiched between two of the most expensive areas of nashville. I like the present values and future growth but not banking on the future growth.

1. How I found it - direct mail!!!!! he called me and told me to email an offer. He had 3 houses on the same street and wanted to sell them all! What a great day for me! First time a seller told me to email him an offer, but he's an older guy, so in writing means more to him

2. Numbers -

  • purchase - 175,000 (43,750 a house)
  • closing - 4,000
  • Insurance - 650 a month
  • taxes - 700 a year (approx)
  • Rent - 1,900 for the three houses the guy sold us, the separate house will rent for 1,000 a month so ======  2,900 a month (16.6% rule LOL)
  • repairs - ZERO, three were rented already and one is rent ready right now 
  • utilities - ZERO, tenants pay
  • lawncare - ZERO, tenants pay

3. How I financed it - I partnered with a local investor 50/50 on this deal. I fronted my half of the money via a line of credit on my quad I mentioned on podcast 180. He brought 50% of the money to closing as well. These houses are all worth 70k as they sit, we will refinance into one blanket loan at 80% LTV which would be 224,000 but we will only take out 190,000 max to keep the note down, and repay all expenses here. I went to a local bank for a refi. They have no seasoning period. DON"T ACCEPT A BANK THAT HAS A SEASONING PERIOD.

4. Plan for these rentals - We will hold these rentals for at least 2 years. After then we are hoping to demolish them and rebuild SFH's back. We have not figured out the exit strategy whether to sell or Air BnB, but either route makes sense for us. The lesson here is to buy right and you have endless possibilities with a house. We are actually keeping the seller as the property manager of the properties. He knows the tenants, has a good relationship with them, and we do not want to disrupt that with the tenants. I also like how he runs his business.

THE REHAB

1. How I found it - direct mail. I have bought from him before and he sent me another deal (reputation is everything). I actually had this deal wholesaled but the buyer backed out 2 days before closing (don't do this. I have already told 10 people about this buyer. there is no room for people like this in our business). I did collect his 2,000 non refundable earnest money check though :) (WHOLESALERS - always ask for at least this much to protect yourself in the deal)

2. Numbers - 

  • purchase - 90,000
  • closing - ZERO (took the guy's earnest money for this)
  • Rehab - either 25,000 or 50,000: So I could either put 25,000 in the foundation, roof, siding, and windows and sell for 160k or full gut for 50,000 and sell for 210,000 (I WOULD LIKE YOUR OPINION)
  • Closing sale - 14,000 - 16,000
  • Holding - 5,000 (utilites, taxes, hard money if I choose to go this route)
  • Sale price - 160,000 or 210,000 (haven't figured this out yet)
  • Projected profit - 25,000 to 40,000 (again haven't figured this out yet

3. Financing - I paid cash for this. I had no other option. I didn't want to terminate and ruin my relationship with the seller. I have a hard money lender that is going to give me 50k on this deal for the rehab and cash back potentially! I usually don't like doing this, but you have to do what you have to do

4. Lessons Learned - I did this but just to reiterate.... Always ask for a non refundable deposit of earnest money. This is the first time I have dealt with this, but it happens. It's not always peaches and cream in this business. I know now that I will never sell to these buyers again. But I will have the last laugh since I will profit on the deal myself ;)

I am sure I missed something so ask questions!

6Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Columbia, SC · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 4 votes
10y

Can someone explain to me what does 'no seasoning period' means?

See this reply in the discussion

51 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler · Newark, DE · Member since 2015 · 303 posts · 80 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Devan Mcclish:

    @Dustin Verley never ever ever give anything to the seller. Give it to the title company

    Of course, guess I should have included that little tid bit of information in there. :P

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    10y
    Devan Mcclish you are truly an inspiration and living proof of what Actual HARD WORD and embracing the grind looks like. I have listened to Episode 180 three times now and have taken a look at how much money I'm throwing away each month. (Spotify, Netflix etc) I appreciate each and every tip I get. I look forward to meeting some of you at a Meet Up or BP function!!! In challenge we change, Paul
  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 268 posts · 106 votes
    10y

    No kidding!! Wow, congratulations!

  • Bulawayo, Zimbabwe · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 253 votes
    10y

    Well done @Devan Mcclish.way to go especially on collecting the earnest money deposit

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 517 posts · 106 votes
    10y

    Very nice! Did I read that you were keeping the seller as the property manager? Did he tell you why he wanted to sell the property?

  • IA · Member since 2015 · 304 posts · 152 votes
    10y

    Awesome, awesome. Thanks for sharing your story.

  • Investor · Cheyenne, WY · Member since 2013 · 15 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Great work Devan!!

    On the rehab, I'd say it depends on how quickly you'll get it done. If you can get the extra rehab done quickly (2-3 weeks?) it's an 'easy' 15k. However, given how quickly you're burning through deals, you should weigh the extra profit against lost opportunity for profit. 

    I'm sure you've already thought about it, but a 31% ($50k) shift in value has implications in relation to the rest of the neighborhood. If at 160 you're at Rock bottom you could affect values for your own future sales in the area. On the flip side, if at 210 you're priced in the clouds then perhaps you may not move it as quickly as you like and could get beat up on price.

    Great job on the podcast too- I wish I had my head on as straight as you when I left college!

  • Real Estate Broker · Seattle, WA · Member since 2012 · 76 posts · 14 votes
    10y

    Thats some decent work! Good Job! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 73 posts · 49 votes
    10y
    Inspiring!
  • New Paltz, NY · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    10y
    Can you please explain the 16.6% rule you mentioned? I am a decimal point off in my math.
  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 14 votes
    10y

    Kudos! Awesome success story! I would love to know if your direct mail was a letter or a post card? 

  • Investor · Cocoa Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 132 posts · 59 votes
    10y
    Nice work! I was just about to post to ask how people are doing with purchasing SFH with renters in place. Seems like a risk that's hard to quantify. I will be curious how the tenants perform, how the manager performs, and if/how you change either/both in a rough area as you described. BTW, those are pretty awesome retail numbers for an area that you described as C/D. Excellent job sourcing this if it is how you describe. Hope to hear the success story in a few years.
  • Fix & Flip, Wholetailing, · West Columbia, SC · Member since 2013 · 215 posts · 60 votes
    10y

    Nice @Devan Mcclish good for you!!! Congrats on your big deal

  • Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 688 posts · 607 votes
    10y

    @Sloane Rowan Rehab came from a yellow letter. rentals came from postcards actually, but it was a yellow letter postcard, not the URGENT cards or the junk cards. If you do postcards use yellow letter postcards

  • George DespotopoulosBusiness Member
    Lender · New York, NY · Member since 2016 · 936 posts · 287 votes
    10y

    @Devan Mcclish Congrats on the rental properties. In terms of financing, would you look to get a loan for each individual property from a specialty/private lender that looks at the rental income of each property? Would like to hear your view. Thanks 

    MoFin Lending4.9152 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · San Rafael, CA · Member since 2016 · 57 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    Awesome! I'm jealous. :-)

  • Arlington, TX · Member since 2016 · 113 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    @Devan Mcclish

    Share the lucky charm!  That is awesome. It is all due to your hard work and persistence.

    A guy once told me that when you knock on the door of opportunity, it is work who answers the door and one needs to be ready to work hard.

  • Real Estate Investor · Sunny Isles Beach, FL · Member since 2013 · 788 posts · 333 votes
    10y

    Congratulations!

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    This is awesome. Congrats on the deals and keep it up!

  • Investor · Wasilla, AK · Member since 2016 · 277 posts · 139 votes
    10y

    I bought a 4-plex from a real estate manager, with the agreement for him to manage it for me.  With the amount I lost on that deal, I could have bought one of your properties with cash and then some.... so stay on top of that.

    As far as how heavy to rehab?  I agree that doing the full rehab and opening up your pool of buyers is good.  However, if you are confident that other deals will be available, and you could sell it for 160 quickly, I think pulling your money (or buying power) back out and putting it to work again is also a good idea and doesn't expose you to the risk of a market correction... summary: Can you keep the money moving?  If not, go for the full rehab IF you do not think the market will go down.

  • Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 688 posts · 607 votes
    10y

    @George Despotopoulos No. I am doing a blanket loan that covers all of the properties. Keeps closing costs down

    @Luke Grogan the retail numbers on these properties would be around 60-70k per property. On the one property, 80k. 

  • Investor · Cocoa Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 132 posts · 59 votes
    10y
    Devan Mcclish The rehab purchase: $90k, $50k for full gut/rehab, worth $240k retail. Is that in this D+/C- area? That's the one I didn't quite understand, in terms of location. You have a wide variance of potential profit, but if you very rough ballpark of $25k invested leads to $45k profit, and $50k leads to $70k in profit, I would strongly consider only rushing $25k and tastefully do the interior remodel, but leave out high end finishings. You should know the market, but if your future buyer sees the opportunity to install granite/nicer baths, real hardwood, high end appliances, etc, and get $40k in equity/retail value, they are going to love the deal and it should move quickly. You already have a lot of cash tied up in the deal, so I'd work to keep the total rehab around that $25-30k. Plan to make it look like a $50k rehab and try to get into the $180k range to get the most return on cash. Sounds like the outside/foundation/roof needs work. Those cant be ignored, but could be managed to keep costs in check. On the interiors, I like to make the kitchens and baths look A+, and the rest of the interior C+. With the right people, you can do granite/hardwood, but choose a cheaper tile for the floors, and a $7k kitchen can look like a $20k retail kitchen. Clearly, you need to sharpen your estimates and find the best value for your dollar invested.
  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    Nice job locking this one up.  I look forward to getting to the rest of the story as the rehab commences.  To your success!

  • Newark, NJ · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Great job, @Devan Mcclish

  • Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 7 votes
    10y
    There are investment property gods and the hangout at the bigger pockets forum 😳🤓. Sorry, I'm a noobie to this world. Thank you for the detailed info. I will surely study this post over and over again X can I ask how many properties did you have prior to this mega purchase?
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.