Closed 5 Houses Today! :)

Closed 5 Houses Today! :)

Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 688 posts · 607 votes

When it rains, it pours in this game of real estate! Below are the numbers. They are brief, let me know if you guys have any questions!!!! 

So I bought 4 rentals in a rough area, and one rehab.

4 Rentals:

3 of the rentals were from the same seller on the same street. The other rental was on a street 3 streets over from the other 3. These are low class areas (D+, C-). I bought them for present cash flow and future potential. They are a 1 mile from broadway, and parts of the area have nashville skyline views. The area is also sandwiched between two of the most expensive areas of nashville. I like the present values and future growth but not banking on the future growth.

1. How I found it - direct mail!!!!! he called me and told me to email an offer. He had 3 houses on the same street and wanted to sell them all! What a great day for me! First time a seller told me to email him an offer, but he's an older guy, so in writing means more to him

2. Numbers -

  • purchase - 175,000 (43,750 a house)
  • closing - 4,000
  • Insurance - 650 a month
  • taxes - 700 a year (approx)
  • Rent - 1,900 for the three houses the guy sold us, the separate house will rent for 1,000 a month so ======  2,900 a month (16.6% rule LOL)
  • repairs - ZERO, three were rented already and one is rent ready right now 
  • utilities - ZERO, tenants pay
  • lawncare - ZERO, tenants pay

3. How I financed it - I partnered with a local investor 50/50 on this deal. I fronted my half of the money via a line of credit on my quad I mentioned on podcast 180. He brought 50% of the money to closing as well. These houses are all worth 70k as they sit, we will refinance into one blanket loan at 80% LTV which would be 224,000 but we will only take out 190,000 max to keep the note down, and repay all expenses here. I went to a local bank for a refi. They have no seasoning period. DON"T ACCEPT A BANK THAT HAS A SEASONING PERIOD.

4. Plan for these rentals - We will hold these rentals for at least 2 years. After then we are hoping to demolish them and rebuild SFH's back. We have not figured out the exit strategy whether to sell or Air BnB, but either route makes sense for us. The lesson here is to buy right and you have endless possibilities with a house. We are actually keeping the seller as the property manager of the properties. He knows the tenants, has a good relationship with them, and we do not want to disrupt that with the tenants. I also like how he runs his business.

THE REHAB

1. How I found it - direct mail. I have bought from him before and he sent me another deal (reputation is everything). I actually had this deal wholesaled but the buyer backed out 2 days before closing (don't do this. I have already told 10 people about this buyer. there is no room for people like this in our business). I did collect his 2,000 non refundable earnest money check though :) (WHOLESALERS - always ask for at least this much to protect yourself in the deal)

2. Numbers - 

  • purchase - 90,000
  • closing - ZERO (took the guy's earnest money for this)
  • Rehab - either 25,000 or 50,000: So I could either put 25,000 in the foundation, roof, siding, and windows and sell for 160k or full gut for 50,000 and sell for 210,000 (I WOULD LIKE YOUR OPINION)
  • Closing sale - 14,000 - 16,000
  • Holding - 5,000 (utilites, taxes, hard money if I choose to go this route)
  • Sale price - 160,000 or 210,000 (haven't figured this out yet)
  • Projected profit - 25,000 to 40,000 (again haven't figured this out yet

3. Financing - I paid cash for this. I had no other option. I didn't want to terminate and ruin my relationship with the seller. I have a hard money lender that is going to give me 50k on this deal for the rehab and cash back potentially! I usually don't like doing this, but you have to do what you have to do

4. Lessons Learned - I did this but just to reiterate.... Always ask for a non refundable deposit of earnest money. This is the first time I have dealt with this, but it happens. It's not always peaches and cream in this business. I know now that I will never sell to these buyers again. But I will have the last laugh since I will profit on the deal myself ;)

I am sure I missed something so ask questions!

6Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Columbia, SC · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 4 votes
10y

Can someone explain to me what does 'no seasoning period' means?

See this reply in the discussion

51 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Franklin, TN · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 10 votes
    10y
    Nice. I'm more than a little jealous.
  • Rental Property Investor · San Rafael, CA · Member since 2015 · 190 posts · 90 votes
    10y

    Nice work! I just happened to listen to that podcast today.

  • Boynton Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 125 posts · 29 votes
    10y
    Well done!
  • Missouri City, TX · Member since 2016 · 46 posts · 17 votes
    10y
    Devan Mcclish Def heard that podcast today! Great to hear more good news!!! Keeep going!!!!More positive vibes your way sir!
  • Bothell, WA · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    10y
    Great work!
  • Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2013 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    I always check out your posts, always great info and inspirational.  I hope we get a chance to meet at REIN.  I have a few deals under my belt and looking for more.  Can you add me to your wholesale list?

  • Real Estate Agent · Brecksville, OH · Member since 2011 · 166 posts · 75 votes
    10y
    That Cleveland work ethic showing again - nothing is given everything is earned.
  • Investor · Nashville & Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2015 · 182 posts · 138 votes
    10y

    Way to go, @Devan Mcclish!  You are crushing this town :)

  • Investor · Hopkinsville, KY · Member since 2012 · 111 posts · 40 votes
    10y
    That's great! Devan Mcclish I'm in Hopkinsville. I'm about 65 miles from Nashville. Glad things are going well for you.
  • Real Estate Investor · Pawtucket, RI · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 4 votes
    10y
    Nice job!
  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    Thanks for sharing @Devan Mcclish 

    My recommendation on the rehab would be to go for option B and do the full rehab. The profit is larger (of course more money is at risk), but I think your buyer pool will be larger with this option. Just my opinion.

    I'm glad that you said reputation is everything as I truly believe that. 

    I must say that the strategy you have for the rentals is exactly what I would have done-demolish them in the future and build new homes. I know some investors buy these type of C and D properties and just sit on them waiting for the area to turn. I way rather prefer your method of collecting cash flow and if the area doesn't ever turn-you still have the cash flow.

    I was going to ask how you were financing your buy/holds. Thanks for sharing, I really needed to know because I'm hoping to get more buy/holds in my portfolio as soon as possible. 

    Keep up the awesome work.

  • Wholesaler · Newark, DE · Member since 2015 · 303 posts · 80 votes
    10y

    So to understand, did you ask for earnest money from the buyer that you had lined up?

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    10y

    congrats

    I would pick $25,000 instead of full gut renovation

    Only my 2 cents 

  • Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 688 posts · 607 votes
    10y

    @Fene Cartlidge let's sit down sometime

    @Dustin Verley yes, if I do not get earnest money from a buyer, I will go to the next buyer 

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Devan Mcclish,

    I'm thinking that was a lot of paperwork to sign!

    Has your writer's cramp eased a bit today? :-)

  • Wholesaler · Newark, DE · Member since 2015 · 303 posts · 80 votes
    10y

    @Devan Mcclish

    Interesting share...wasn't aware that investors/buyers provide earnest money. I thought it was typically the wholesaler providing earnest money directly to the seller, or the buyer directly to the seller, never buyer to the wholesaler. :)

  • Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 688 posts · 607 votes
    10y

    @Dustin Verley never ever ever give anything to the seller. Give it to the title company

  • Columbia, SC · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Can someone explain to me what does 'no seasoning period' means?

  • Broken Arrow, OK · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    10y
    Congrats, job well done!
  • Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2016 · 543 posts · 281 votes
    10y

    Man, I just love reading success stories! This is an AWESOME story! Well done!!

  • Investor · Douglasville, GA · Member since 2014 · 313 posts · 181 votes
    10y

    @Kevin Gilliard.

    Seasoning is a period you have to wait before you can refinance a property (usually 6 months).

    No seasoning period means he was able to refi right away.

  • Columbia, SC · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Ok, thanks. Im new to this so trying to learn the terms/lingo as much as possible. 

  • Savannah, GA · Member since 2016 · 86 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    @Devan Mcclish GREAT WORK!! How did you get this lead of motivated seller again? I saw you did direct mail. Can you let me know? Thx. 

  • Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 688 posts · 607 votes
    10y

    @Marilyn Mike direct mail for both leads. Yellow letters

  • NJ · Member since 2016 · 136 posts · 42 votes
    10y
    Devan Mcclish . Congrats on your success. Makes me feel more positive
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.