First Kansas City Turnkey Purchase

First Kansas City Turnkey Purchase

Real Estate Agent · Oxnard, CA · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 77 votes

Hey Everyone, 

I figured I would document my first turn key purchase in Kansas City, MO. I read another members similar blog and found it very helpful. I won't be naming company names unless through private message for feel free to ask. 

I researched a number of turn-key companies before narrowing it down to a few. I also found an area that I was comfortable enough (a BP member drove the area and gave me the low down) with and pulled the trigger on one. 

My wife and I executed the contract on 2/10. The lender that BP suggested works weekends & as a Realtor myself, I really appreciate that. Also, every company & seems agent I have spoken with seems to know and respect this guy. Locked in my rate this morning (5% w/ 20% down). I was tempted to by down the rate to 4.75% since I negotiated $1600 in closing cost credit but realized I'd rather keep the maximum cash in my pocket. The more cash I keep, the quicker I can buy #2 if all goes well. And really after looking at the number, the .25 difference really wasn't worth it in my opinion.

Also, my contact at the turn-key company and title company they chose has been working this weekend as well. There has already been a string of emails going back an forth this morning. We have reach out to the physical inspection company to schedule the inspection. This company was also chosen through BP suggestions and vetted through reviews and past clients. 

Off to a good start I suppose. Here are my research numbers. I know it always looks better on paper so we will see in 12-13 months where the numbers actual fall.

Purchase Price: $85,000

Down Payment: 17,000

Estimated closing costs after credit: $1,100ish

Total Cash Out of Pocket: $18,100ish

Mortgage Payment: $365

Rent: $948

Gross Rent: $11,376

Estimated Expenses:

Property Tax: $486

Insurance: $675

Property Management: $910

Vacancy: $910 (8%)

Maintenance: $910 (8%)

NOI- $7,484

Cash Flow: $258.66

Cap Rate- 9%

COC Return: 17%

Again, follow along as this newbie enters the world of REI.

If you comment, please make it constructive. None of that negativity please. 

21Reply
222 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2014 · 205 posts · 136 votes
9y

Congrats, I think you did pretty well here. My recommendation is to figure in $100-$125 for CapEx right away, assuming you have a long term hold in mind. I also like the zip code you bought in, some nice neighborhoods in there. The property tax is surprisingly low. My only house in KC with lower tax is in a borderline hood area. I strongly recommend to run the address on rentometer.com (I have a professional subscription, but anyone can run a general analysis) and confirm the market rent. Even the most reputable turnkey companies naturally fill their properties at the top of the market rent it makes all the other metrics look great and maximizes the purchase price potential. Also check comps on MLS/zillow and make sure the purchase price seems to fit and you aren't starting with much negative equity. Regarding vacancy and maintenance, consider costs of make-ready and LEASING FEES between tenants in addition to month-to-month items. With just one property in the portfolio right now, be conservative. PM if you want any help.

See this reply in the discussion

136 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • VA · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 24 votes
    9y

    So your $85k rental property has Section 8 tenants? Just curious as I thought Section 8 tenants generally rented lower priced properties.

  • Real Estate Agent · Oxnard, CA · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 77 votes
    9y

    Final inspection is on Tuesday and closing on Friday. Almost officially own my first investment property!

  • Real Estate Agent · Oxnard, CA · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 77 votes
    9y

    @Jaye Seay I honestly don't have any experience with them. The rent is $948 a month which is completely covered for this tenant. I will do a 3 month inspection before the turnkey warranty is up to also get a gauge on how they are keeping up with the property. I may do another one 6 months in as well. This should give me a pretty good idea of how they are treating the property.

  • Rental Property Investor · Agoura Hills · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    I'm impressed by how thorough you are planning to be with your property. Having a follow up inspection before the turnkey warranty is up never crossed my mind. Who would be conducting that inspection for you and how much level of detail are you requesting? Thanks for posting, I will definitely start implementing some of your practices in my process.

  • Real Estate Agent · Oxnard, CA · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 77 votes
    9y
    Elio Guillen Thanks Elio. I'd just have the PM do the pre-warranty inspection. Mainly concerned with tenant taking care of the place. I'll be out there in 5-7 months or so. I want to meet the staff of USREEB, the inspector, contractor, etc. I'll do a walk through of the home. I'll be looking hopefully for my second one by then & want to see the neighborhoods for myself.
  • Real Estate Agent · Oxnard, CA · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 77 votes
    9y
    Signing loan docs today, almost officially a REI! Nervous but super excited!
  • Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Congrats!  Taking the initial baby steps to invest in this market as well.  Would love to hear which TK company you went with.  I'm speaking with two at the moment.

  • Real Estate Agent · Oxnard, CA · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 77 votes
    9y

    I ended up going with USREEB. Wasn't completely about the company but also the deal. Everything went smooth. I'll be getting the PM side of it set up today or tomorrow. @Morgan Smith

  • Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Appreciate it! Looking forward to hearing how the first few months go!

  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    @Chris Nordella, congratulations on your first rental and thanks a million for sharing your experience thus far. Very informative. We are also looking at investing in the same market so please share the contacts that you used through your process so we can evaluate.

    Thanks, Sharon

  • Real Estate Agent · Oxnard, CA · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 77 votes
    9y

    Lender was Shawn Huff with Chemical Bank, Inspector was Bulldog Inspections, USREEB was the Turnkey company. @Sharon Abdul

    I'll keep updating as the PM side of it moves along. 

  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Chris Nordella. Much appreciated

  • Anchorage, AK · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Hi Chris,

    Congratulations on your first home.

    It is quite interesting to follow this type of forum. I am hoping to close 2 houses that I have under contract in Birmingham to then make a trip to KC and know the operations of 3 companies that I already have pre-selected and see which is the one that best suits me to start my investments in KC.

    I hope to have the same luck as you had and find properties well located at good price.

    Thanks, Lucas

  • Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
    9y

     Forgive me for sounding stupid but what was the cash flow on this at the rent at 948? Looking to get into rentals as well thank you!

  • Real Estate Agent · Oxnard, CA · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 77 votes
    9y
    Robin Boyer Hey Robin, cash flow with no issues monthly is about $400 a month, with potential issues calculated in. I expect $260 a month on average.
  • Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 37 posts · 20 votes
    9y
    Wow - $486 in property taxes annually? Is that really how low taxes are in KC? That's like 0.5%. If so sounds great. 5-6 times that in Houston.
  • Real Estate Agent · Oxnard, CA · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 77 votes
    9y
    We'll see if & when they reassess
  • Anchorage, AK · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    It could be possible. I have a house in Memphis with $668 in property taxes. I paid for that house 95K.

  • Real Estate Agent · Oxnard, CA · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 77 votes
    9y
    It's definitely possible because that's what it is. I know some of these cities are sooo far behind on doing re-assessments so for now it's cheap. Long term, we'll see what happens
  • James WachobBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 890 votes
    9y

    @Lucas Atencio I'd be happy to look into this for you, if you need assistance. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Oxnard, CA · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 77 votes
    9y
    First months rent check has been deposited! No work orders requested. Off to a good start.
  • Walnut, CA · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    Hi Chris,

    Congrats on the KC turnkey investment and first month's rent! 

    We've closed our first turnkey in Memphis with a second in contract. And now after all I've heard about KC - with the new Cerner center and all - I'm keenly interested in KC. You mentioned in a previous post that you were comfortable with two other turnkey companies besides USREEB. Do you mind sharing the other two companies you vetted? 

    Thanks!

    Mike 

  • Real Estate Agent · Oxnard, CA · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 77 votes
    9y
    KC Metro was the other one. One other I talked with but can't remember the name. Pinnacle I think.
  • James WachobBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 890 votes
    9y

    @Mike Ruangutai congrats on your 2 investments in Memphis! I'm lucky to live in a city with such potential for investing! Next time you are in town you should drop in and meet my team. 

  • Investor · Wichita, KS · Member since 2017 · 293 posts · 192 votes
    9y

    @Chris Nordella, I am interested to hear how this is turning out for you.  I will be coming up to Wichita Kansas soon and am definitely interested in checking out the Kansas City area.  Thanks for sharing!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.