My first ever 44 Unit MF apartment closed in Dec. 2020

My first ever 44 Unit MF apartment closed in Dec. 2020

New to Real Estate · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 234 posts · 264 votes

I’m sharing a great news! My Real Estate Journey made at night and weekend, allowed me to close my first deal!

December 2020, I officially closed my first investment real estate deal with my partners. It’s a 44 Unit Multifamily Apartment in Lawrence, KS.

I feel like I can write a book about it, but will try to keep it as simple as possible.

Little Intro of myself: Late 30’s, Full time W2 Lawyer in NYC. Father of 2 girls. Did not own any investment property prior to this 44 Unit. (Not even a single, never done any flipping)

Limiting beliefs I crushed: No way I can invest outside of my back yard, How can I trust others, You need lots of money to start, I should start small like single or duplex before going to multifamily. Education is a cost.

How I crushed these limiting beliefs: Through right education, Not listening to the naysayers. Surrounding myself with like minded people. Being connected with mentors and right partners, Relentless action taking. Griding persistently, Trying to add value to the team, Falling in love with the process.

Some of the milestones

Late 2019: I set a goal that I’ll close my first RE deal in 2020. I joined Bigger Pockets. 

Self-education through Bigger-pockets and found David Greene's Out of state investing book. Now I felt more confident about investing out of state. By listening to Michael Blank saying he was considered as a newbie when he started MF despite his single family flipping experience, now I decided to go to MF directly skipping single/duplex. By listening to Grant Cardone saying "look at a bigger deal that justifies scalability, now I decided to look at more than 10 Unit as my first deal. 

In the begginng I was little ashamed to call myself a Multifamily investor without having any, and didn’t know how to put myself out there and get connected with like minded people. - I sought advice from Bigger Pockets, and somebody encouraged me to be just transparent (Thank you John Casmon). I decided to believe in myself and to just be myself.

March 2020 - Realized Self-education is not equivalent to taking actions. I was passively absorbing the information. Joined a Mentorship Community / Mastermind Group, Started Real Education, Started self-reflection as to who I am and how I can add value, Started putting myself out there looking for partners. This is when Pandemic shut down happened. 

May 2020 - Connected with my current partners and started analyzing deals

June 2020 - After reading Joe Fairless' Syndication Book, Started co-hosting a bi-weekly Virtual Meetup in NY regarding multifamily investing, and massive virtual networking started. Covid couldn't stop me.

July 2020 - Became a Co-Host of Multifamily and More meet up - KC chapter with my partner.

August 2020 - 68 Unit Apartment LOI Accepted

September 2020 - 68 Unit under Contract / 44 Unit LOI Accepted

October 2020 - 44 Unit under Contract

December 11, 2020 - 44 Unit closed (JV). (68 Unit closing got pushed a little - Syndication)

Feb. 2021 - 68 Unit expected to be closed within this month.


A few things I learned
: Right education. This is critical. But to get the right education, you need to be guided by people who are more experienced than you are. It can be people from bigger pockets, or mentorship program. Right partnership. You need to surround yourself with highly motivated like minded people. Stay away from people who drain your energy and positivity. Make sure you work with those who's interests are aligned with yours. Those who share same work ethic and philosophy. Massive Action Taking. I can't emphasize this enough. Do it. Meet people. Underwrite deals. Talk to the brokers and lenders. Practice your pitch. Last but not least by no means. Fall in love with the process. It's a long process. So enjoy it and be persistent, and patient. You will see the result. 

Yosef 

156Reply
1,051 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Bronx, NY · Member since 2011 · 193 posts · 322 votes
5y

Yosef!!!!! The part about "self-education is not equivalent to taking action" .... Man!!!! Not enough people realize that, just take that first step bc otherwise you'll never progress and your story symbolizes just that! Great way to lead by example and I'm so proud to say I know you and am part of your extended fam! Great job and can't wait to see what the rest of this year holds for you!

See this reply in the discussion

277 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New to Real Estate · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 234 posts · 264 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Bill Grapes:

    As someone who's brand new to this I found your post inspiring, motivating, and encouraging to those who are just starting out.

    -Bill

    Thank you Bill! It's a great feeling that we could inspire someone, isn't it? Just like I was inspired and encouraged by many others when I just started. Welcome to the game, and let's continue our journey of building generational wealth and legacy for our family. Yosef

  • New to Real Estate · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 234 posts · 264 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Dennis Shinn:

    @Yosef Lee

    Great job!

    Thank you Dennis! I appreciate that! Yosef

  • New to Real Estate · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 234 posts · 264 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Albert Rivera Diaz:

    @Yosef Lee. Congratulations! That’s an amazing first deal. Wishing you the best in your journey.

    Thank you Albert! Good luck to your journey as well and Let's crush 2021! Yosef 

  • New to Real Estate · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 234 posts · 264 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Gerardine Tshouongang:

    @Yosef Lee

    Such an inspirational story! Thank you for sharing. Good luck in all your endeavors

    Hi Geradine! Thank you so much for the encouragement! A good friend of mine is now in Dallas for short trip and she sent me a pic of daily long horn cow run? which looked so cool! Good luck to you and your journey as well! Yosef

  • New to Real Estate · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 234 posts · 264 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Gael Yimen Yimga:

    @Yosef Lee Congratulations man. This is a truly inspirational story. Coming from nowhere and now going somewhere identified. I’m still in the education path and ready to take my first flight soon. 😂😂😂. Thank for sharing.

    Thank you Gael! I know how it feels like continuing the education. It can feel like you are in a tunnel without a light, but keep educating and try to take massive action. I personally do not consider education part as action taking part. =)  Try to attend virtual meetups, meet people, try to do some mock exercise to pick your target market. If you need to talk to somebody for clarity or motivation, this is my E-business card. You can connect to me in any way you want/can through this car as well it has links to all of my social media. If you have any question, you can always ping me and I'll share what I learned. Thanks. Yosef

    https://linqapp.com/yosefyourbrosef

  • New to Real Estate · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 234 posts · 264 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jay Bob:

    @Yosef Lee.

    Congratulations. Very happy for you.

    Hey Jay thank you so much!! Let's crush 2021! Yosef

  • New to Real Estate · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 234 posts · 264 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Yonah Weiss:

    @Yosef Lee Thank you so much for sharing this. I know you have put a lot of effort into your journey, and I have been inspired knowing you. Many more!!!

    Hey the Yonah my man! Good to see you here. Thank you now that you are a part of my journey as you are on my meetup guest plaque forever! lol Thank you for all you do for the community and let's crush 2021! Yosef 

  • New to Real Estate · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 234 posts · 264 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Chris Levarek:

    @Yosef Lee Thanks for sharing! I see we were not the only ones with delayed closings for 2020. Look forward to hearing that 68 unit come to fruition :)

    Thank you Chris! Yes I think we were delayed like 2-3 months at least =(  Hopefully we can close shortly. Good luck on your property as well and yeah let me know what's happening to that, I'll also update when we close the next deal. Let's crush them! Yosef

  • New to Real Estate · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 234 posts · 264 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Cullen W Jones:

    @Yosef Lee Thank you so much for sharing this experience. I, as well as many others, love hearing success stories like this. Congratulations. I will be getting into my first property this year

    Thank you Cullen for your encouragement! I'm telling you that your goal is very doable! about a year ago, I was commenting like you with a goal of my first deal in 2020. De. 2020 BOOM! Happened. Keep educating and take massive actions. Again, these are two different. Continue to net work and study what value you can bring to the table and keep shouting out to the community who you are. Good thing will happen. Good luck on your journey! Yosef 

  • New to Real Estate · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 234 posts · 264 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @John Garcia:

    @Yosef Lee

    Awesome!

    It’s good to hear your experiences and seeing all that all your hard work paid off!

    Keep us informed on the next phase on how you are handling the property management side!

    Thank you John! and it's a great request! Because that's now what I'm struggling for. Implementing operational system for the team. I'm trying to utilities ASANA for it. I'll study more and try things, and I'll let you guys know what I'm finding out! Yosef 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2021 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    This is what I want to get into. My wife and I are currently looking for some buy and hold homes, but I would like to get into multifamily as well.  How do you go about protecting yourself when you go in on a deal with multiple people?

  • Rental Property Investor · Olathe, KS · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Yosef Lee Wow what a story my friend! Looking forward to many more deals to come! I'm grateful to call you my friend and business partner!

  • Rental Property Investor · Bloomington, IL · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 17 votes
    5y

    @Yosef Lee congrats on this accomplishment!  this is amazing and very inspirational.  I particularly loved the section on "how you crushed your limiting beliefs." Keep it up!

  • Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    To all my fellow people in BP. A word about @Yosef Lee.

    The most persistent and incredibly humble person I met through our meet up. He is always willing to help and he goes to whatever it takes. I was blessed to have an amazing one on one zoom conversation with Yosef yesterday. He always supports and gives you the right advice. Striving to put out great content on all platforms. You can have all the resources and knowledge you need but the moment you crush the limiting beliefs, the pathway to success opens. He is the living proof of that.

    Way to go brother. Incredibly proud of you. Thank you for being an amazing person and giving us value all the time. Come back with another great story. We are WAITING. 😊😊

  • Chris JacksonPro Member
    Investor · Southold, NY · Member since 2016 · 173 posts · 154 votes
    5y

    @Yosef Lee  is a great person and deserves all the momentum he is receiving and creating.

  • Investor · Chicago Illinois · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 1 vote
    5y

    Great job crushing your limited beliefs and taking action NOW! Proud of you man! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Killeen, TX · Member since 2017 · 338 posts · 100 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Brian Alfaro:

    @Yosef Lee! My friend! So proud of you; glad to be in your network. Looking forward to doing deals together in the future and watching you grow as an investor. 

    If anyone is interested in meeting a high character guy working hard to build something special for his family in the Multifamily space, I highly suggest you reach out to Yosef. 

    Cheers to a great beginning of 2021! Lets make it happen! 

    Hello Brian! If you don't mind me asking, are you one of the partners on this deal? If so, how did you meet guys meet?

  • Rental Property Investor · Killeen, TX · Member since 2017 · 338 posts · 100 votes
    5y

    @Cortney Arenstein did he responded in a PM? I am curious as well as to which Mastermind group he joined. 

    @Yosef Lee Thank you for sharing your story. Truly inspirational. In case I missed it, what Mastermind grouped helped you and how was your experience with them? 

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 188 posts · 192 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Adrian Fajardo:
    Originally posted by @Brian Alfaro:

    @Yosef Lee! My friend! So proud of you; glad to be in your network. Looking forward to doing deals together in the future and watching you grow as an investor. 

    If anyone is interested in meeting a high character guy working hard to build something special for his family in the Multifamily space, I highly suggest you reach out to Yosef. 

    Cheers to a great beginning of 2021! Lets make it happen! 

    Hello Brian! If you don't mind me asking, are you one of the partners on this deal? If so, how did you meet guys meet?

    I am not his partner in this deal, but we are in the same Multifamily mentorship group, Mastermind, and I attend his meetup. He’s a fellow investor and friend, so I’m glad to see him finding success.

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 188 posts · 192 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Adrian Fajardo:

    @Cortney Arenstein did he responded in a PM? I am curious as well as to which Mastermind group he joined. 

    @Yosef Lee Thank you for sharing your story. Truly inspirational. In case I missed it, what Mastermind grouped helped you and how was your experience with them? 

    Also, if you’d like our perspective/experiences so far on any of the mentioned resources, please PM us so we can stay within the rules here. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Killeen, TX · Member since 2017 · 338 posts · 100 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Brian Alfaro:
    Originally posted by @Adrian Fajardo:

    @Cortney Arenstein did he responded in a PM? I am curious as well as to which Mastermind group he joined. 

    @Yosef Lee Thank you for sharing your story. Truly inspirational. In case I missed it, what Mastermind grouped helped you and how was your experience with them? 

    Also, if you’d like our perspective/experiences so far on any of the mentioned resources, please PM us so we can stay within the rules here. 

     My apologies! I sent you a PM

  • New to Real Estate · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 234 posts · 264 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jaylen Reed:

    Great post Yosef! I'm in the same process you are right now and you're inspiring me to keep going to get these deals closed. Keep going you're going to be great!!

    Thank you  Jaylen! Yes, let's keep going to get the deals closed! Let's not stop! Yosef

  • New to Real Estate · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 234 posts · 264 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Ian Walsh:

    Congrats!

    Thank you Ian!! 

  • New to Real Estate · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 234 posts · 264 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Samson Hollmérus:

    @Yosef Lee

    Wow love how versatile you're in negotiating and finding solutions to these issues.

    Keep up the great work! I'm looking to do the same as you in the MHP scene if you happen to be connected to someone I should know I'd love to be pointed in the right direction.

    All the best,

    Sam

    Thank you Sam! MHP is also great way to build wealth I think. I have a couple of friends in my mastermind who are good at MHP investing. DM me if you want to get connected. Where is your target market?  

  • New to Real Estate · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 234 posts · 264 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Samson Hollmérus:

    @Yosef Lee

    Wow love how versatile you're in negotiating and finding solutions to these issues.

    Keep up the great work! I'm looking to do the same as you in the MHP scene if you happen to be connected to someone I should know I'd love to be pointed in the right direction.

    All the best,

    Sam

    Thank you Sam, I think my response was not updated for some reason. I'm leaving again. I think MHP is another great way to build wealth. I have a couple of friends in my mastermind who are good at MHP investing. DM me if you want to get connected. Where is your target market? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.