My first ever 44 Unit MF apartment closed in Dec. 2020

My first ever 44 Unit MF apartment closed in Dec. 2020

New to Real Estate · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 234 posts · 264 votes

I’m sharing a great news! My Real Estate Journey made at night and weekend, allowed me to close my first deal!

December 2020, I officially closed my first investment real estate deal with my partners. It’s a 44 Unit Multifamily Apartment in Lawrence, KS.

I feel like I can write a book about it, but will try to keep it as simple as possible.

Little Intro of myself: Late 30’s, Full time W2 Lawyer in NYC. Father of 2 girls. Did not own any investment property prior to this 44 Unit. (Not even a single, never done any flipping)

Limiting beliefs I crushed: No way I can invest outside of my back yard, How can I trust others, You need lots of money to start, I should start small like single or duplex before going to multifamily. Education is a cost.

How I crushed these limiting beliefs: Through right education, Not listening to the naysayers. Surrounding myself with like minded people. Being connected with mentors and right partners, Relentless action taking. Griding persistently, Trying to add value to the team, Falling in love with the process.

Some of the milestones

Late 2019: I set a goal that I’ll close my first RE deal in 2020. I joined Bigger Pockets. 

Self-education through Bigger-pockets and found David Greene's Out of state investing book. Now I felt more confident about investing out of state. By listening to Michael Blank saying he was considered as a newbie when he started MF despite his single family flipping experience, now I decided to go to MF directly skipping single/duplex. By listening to Grant Cardone saying "look at a bigger deal that justifies scalability, now I decided to look at more than 10 Unit as my first deal. 

In the begginng I was little ashamed to call myself a Multifamily investor without having any, and didn’t know how to put myself out there and get connected with like minded people. - I sought advice from Bigger Pockets, and somebody encouraged me to be just transparent (Thank you John Casmon). I decided to believe in myself and to just be myself.

March 2020 - Realized Self-education is not equivalent to taking actions. I was passively absorbing the information. Joined a Mentorship Community / Mastermind Group, Started Real Education, Started self-reflection as to who I am and how I can add value, Started putting myself out there looking for partners. This is when Pandemic shut down happened. 

May 2020 - Connected with my current partners and started analyzing deals

June 2020 - After reading Joe Fairless' Syndication Book, Started co-hosting a bi-weekly Virtual Meetup in NY regarding multifamily investing, and massive virtual networking started. Covid couldn't stop me.

July 2020 - Became a Co-Host of Multifamily and More meet up - KC chapter with my partner.

August 2020 - 68 Unit Apartment LOI Accepted

September 2020 - 68 Unit under Contract / 44 Unit LOI Accepted

October 2020 - 44 Unit under Contract

December 11, 2020 - 44 Unit closed (JV). (68 Unit closing got pushed a little - Syndication)

Feb. 2021 - 68 Unit expected to be closed within this month.


A few things I learned
: Right education. This is critical. But to get the right education, you need to be guided by people who are more experienced than you are. It can be people from bigger pockets, or mentorship program. Right partnership. You need to surround yourself with highly motivated like minded people. Stay away from people who drain your energy and positivity. Make sure you work with those who's interests are aligned with yours. Those who share same work ethic and philosophy. Massive Action Taking. I can't emphasize this enough. Do it. Meet people. Underwrite deals. Talk to the brokers and lenders. Practice your pitch. Last but not least by no means. Fall in love with the process. It's a long process. So enjoy it and be persistent, and patient. You will see the result. 

Yosef 

156Reply
1,059 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Bronx, NY · Member since 2011 · 193 posts · 322 votes
5y

Yosef!!!!! The part about "self-education is not equivalent to taking action" .... Man!!!! Not enough people realize that, just take that first step bc otherwise you'll never progress and your story symbolizes just that! Great way to lead by example and I'm so proud to say I know you and am part of your extended fam! Great job and can't wait to see what the rest of this year holds for you!

See this reply in the discussion

277 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Stephen ScirePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · East Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 52 posts · 34 votes
    5y

    Yosef, I absolutely love your story ! 

    My next move needs to be an apartment bldg ...and your path all seems very deliberate and tenacious. 

    I'm so very happy for you. I completely agree with you in your thinking .... It resembles much that Jamie Gruber & his story. You put yourself in the position to surround yourself with like-minded individuals. ..what we all need to do to take the next step.

    Im just an owner/operator of a family deli& catering business that Ive operated for the past 30 years, I currently have 7 doors in the Boston & Wells ,Me area and I love to underwrite properties every night when I get home...striving to make the next move...this of course is my source of income being self-employed & chose this type of investment as cash flow.

    I'm in the Boston area, if I could be of any help at all...please reach out to me....Id love to be a resource if Im of any value.

    Be well & CONGRATULATIONS  ! 

    STEVE

  • New to Real Estate · Chesterfield, MI · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Yosef Lee Thanks for sharing your story! It's super inspirational and motivating. Keep crushing it man!!

  • Dan WeberBusiness Member
    Realtor · Portland, ME · Member since 2015 · 656 posts · 552 votes
    5y

    @Yosef Lee agreed with the others - thanks for sharing! Awesome story!

  • Investor · Lake Worth, FL · Member since 2016 · 233 posts · 140 votes
    5y

    @Yosef Lee Great story. Congratulations. Can you give us details, price, downpayment, loan terms, cap rate etc. Is it a value add deal?

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 188 posts · 192 votes
    5y

    @Yosef Lee! My friend! So proud of you; glad to be in your network. Looking forward to doing deals together in the future and watching you grow as an investor. 

    If anyone is interested in meeting a high character guy working hard to build something special for his family in the Multifamily space, I highly suggest you reach out to Yosef. 

    Cheers to a great beginning of 2021! Lets make it happen! 

  • Investor · Hayward, CA · Member since 2010 · 11 posts · 18 votes
    5y

    WTG, Yosef. Thank you for sharing your story. Really excited about what you have accomplished and looks like you will crush 2021 too with that 68 units in store! Congratulations

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 13 votes
    5y

    @Yosef Lee

    Congratulations!!! It takes courage to do what you did! You can only go higher from here. 👏🏾 👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾 love reading your story.

  • Rental Property Investor · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 51 posts · 28 votes
    5y

    @Yosef Lee my friend! Happy to see your success! I know you’re one of the hardest working persons I know. Keep it up brother!

  • Rental Property Investor · Bronx, NY · Member since 2011 · 193 posts · 322 votes
    5y

    Yosef!!!!! The part about "self-education is not equivalent to taking action" .... Man!!!! Not enough people realize that, just take that first step bc otherwise you'll never progress and your story symbolizes just that! Great way to lead by example and I'm so proud to say I know you and am part of your extended fam! Great job and can't wait to see what the rest of this year holds for you!

  • New to Real Estate · Dayton, OH · Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    Thank you for sharing your story! It's incredible to see how much you have already accomplished, especially while working as a busy attorney during the day. Seeing your timeline was especially helpful. It's so inspirational when I see someone take action every day towards their goal despite their limiting beliefs.

    You are crushing it.

    I will be following you and can't wait to see the great things the future holds for you.

  • Real Estate Investor · Milford, PA · Member since 2014 · 395 posts · 299 votes
    5y

    Very inspirational! I love the break down and how you seaked out a Mastermind and community of like minded individuals. Masterminds Absolutely work. 

    5yrs from now people will think you're lucky. They will ask how you did it. "Well remember back in 2020 when everyone thought the world was coming to an end? I just put the blinders on and did it for family brought a 44 unit after that it was off go the races"

    Looking forward to seeing you crush it even more in 2021.

  • New to Real Estate · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 234 posts · 264 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Stephen Scire:

    Thank you Steve! 

    You are already making it happen with your portfolio! You just need to take that one very next step! I hope to hear from your about your next move into Multifamily Investing! Yosef 

  • New to Real Estate · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 234 posts · 264 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Joe Halama:

    @Yosef Lee Thanks for sharing your story! It's super inspirational and motivating. Keep crushing it man!!

    Thank you Joe! Let's crush 2021!! 

  • New to Real Estate · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 234 posts · 264 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Dan Weber:

    @Yosef Lee agreed with the others - thanks for sharing! Awesome story!

    Thank you Dan! I appreciate your encouragement! 

  • Investor · Auckland, Auckland · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    Wow, so inspirational Yosef. Education + Action = Results. Well done!

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    Congrats!! Really inspiring! Well done! Local networking is a great boost!! BP is a great help to those who are willing to take action!

  • Edmond, OK · Member since 2012 · 456 posts · 270 votes
    5y

    @Yosef Lee

    What energy AND humility you show!

  • Rental Property Investor · Wilson, NC · Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Yosef Lee

    Thanks for sharing this story. You just summarize but I know behind of that is a lot things to do. For sure, you will continue to getting more and all in your plan will be possible. Use your momentum. Your story is very inspirational. Great Job !!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 231 posts · 256 votes
    5y

    Yosef, you have such an incredibly inspiring story!!!  It's awesome to see the progress you've made in such a short period of time!  I'm excited to see you growing, big things to come!!  

  • Real Estate Agent · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2014 · 486 posts · 303 votes
    5y

    @Yosef Lee congratulations. So inspiring!

  • Rental Property Investor · NW Missouri · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Yosef Lee

    Good show! Thank you for sharing your story.

  • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    Yosef!! That’s amazing! You have been so dedicated to your craft and it has paid off. 

    Thank you for sharing your story. It gives newer investors so much hope to know that a guy like yourself can jump in, get educated, take action, and see results. 

    I can’t wait to see what this year brings for you and your team! 

  • New to Real Estate · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 234 posts · 264 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Ken Naim:

    @Yosef Lee Great story. Congratulations. Can you give us details, price, downpayment, loan terms, cap rate etc. Is it a value add deal?

    Sure Ken! 

    Per your request, I have updated the post with some more details. Please check it out above. 

  • New to Real Estate · New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 234 posts · 264 votes
    5y
  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    I love how hustle you are! I can imagine # of hours you put in to make things happened. Your effective hardwork will flourish in no time. Congratulations!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.