Harris and Trump's Housing Plans from Last Night's Debate

Harris and Trump's Housing Plans from Last Night's Debate

Noah BaconPro Member
Property Manager · Lansdale, PA · Member since 2021 · 826 posts · 1k+ votes

In last nights debate, Vice President Harris emphasized housing affordability, addressing the shortage of homes and proposing a plan to increase housing supply by 3 million units. She also highlighted her background and connection to first-time homebuyers, contrasting it with Trump’s real estate wealth. 

Harris proposed tax credits for builders, cutting red tape, and a $25,000 down payment assistance for first-time buyers. She also touched on the rising cost of property insurance due to climate change. Trump did not address housing as directly but has previously suggested cutting regulations and using federal land for new construction.

Sharing this because it could have a significant impact on the housing market in the near and long term. 

To read more, you can check out HousingWire's full article here: https://www.housingwire.com/articles/harris-touches-on-housi...

7
Topic locked
164 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2021 · 142 posts · 59 votes
2y

If Harris gets elected and implements this $25k for FTHB, guess what that will do to the price of the homes.....? increase them by $25k. People forget, there are implications when you give things away for free. Ultimately, someone will be paying for it. NOTHING is for free, someone ultimately pays for it.

28
Topic locked
See this reply in the discussion

61 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ray WilliamsBusiness Member
    Lender · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 159 posts · 70 votes
    2y

    Curious , but at the same time a lot of plans laid out. First time parents, start-ups, the FTB credit, that is a lot of cheese being spent there. We all know the FTB credit would be great, and ultimately what that means for home prices is not they come down, right?

    2
    Topic locked
  • Dustin HamelPro Member
    Real Estate Investor · Clovis, CA · Member since 2013 · 8 posts · 16 votes
    2y

    I don’t see home prices coming down because of the policies mentioned. They both increase supply and demand (buyers) which would negate any real change from either of those. 
    They are likely to increase the federal debt and inflation though with these policies, which would make things less affordable 

    16
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2021 · 142 posts · 59 votes
    2y

    If Harris gets elected and implements this $25k for FTHB, guess what that will do to the price of the homes.....? increase them by $25k. People forget, there are implications when you give things away for free. Ultimately, someone will be paying for it. NOTHING is for free, someone ultimately pays for it.

    28
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Consultant · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2011 · 45 posts · 39 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Noah Bacon:

    In last nights debate, Vice President Harris emphasized housing affordability, addressing the shortage of homes and proposing a plan to increase housing supply by 3 million units. She also highlighted her background and connection to first-time homebuyers, contrasting it with Trump’s real estate wealth. 

    Harris proposed tax credits for builders, cutting red tape, and a $25,000 down payment assistance for first-time buyers. She also touched on the rising cost of property insurance due to climate change. Trump did not address housing as directly but has previously suggested cutting regulations and using federal land for new construction.

    Sharing this because it could have a significant impact on the housing market in the near and long term. 

    To read more, you can check out HousingWire's full article here: https://www.housingwire.com/articles/harris-touches-on-housi...


     Most people will not do just the simplest research, the US builds just under 1.5 Million Housing units (SF, MF and Apartment) so she wants to drive this down to 750,000 + -  per year, does not look like great progress to me. 

    7
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Agent · Merritt Island, FL · Member since 2017 · 974 posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    One thing I've realized over the years is to listed to what a politician proposes and attempt to extrapolate a realistic outcome. Often what is spoken is to energize a target audience. Often the outcome is a watered down version. Will there be a $25k credit for FTHB? Highly doubtful. But could there be an incentive in the $5k-10k range, certainly. Isn't red tape more of a state issue? If so, how much influence could she have. As far as using Federal land for new construction, that might help near Jackson, Wyoming. But I don't see any national impact. The way I see it, neither candidate will be able to affect housing significantly.

    12
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Agent · Merritt Island, FL · Member since 2017 · 974 posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kristin Flores-Brockman:

    If Harris gets elected and implements this $25k for FTHB, guess what that will do to the price of the homes.....? increase them by $25k. People forget, there are implications when you give things away for free. Ultimately, someone will be paying for it. NOTHING is for free, someone ultimately pays for it.


    This conclusion could be accurate if every buyer receives a $25k credit. However, it's for new buyers only - and they make up 32% (assuming the definition of 'new buyer' stays the same). From an economic standpoint, there's the pressure of 68% pushing against a $25k rise in prices. A small rise directly attributable if this amount of credit comes to fruition is likely. But not 25k higher. 

    4
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2024 · 9 posts · 19 votes
    2y

    3 million homes.  I see an opportunity for us to get on that train.  If the money is coming from the government (We the People), it won't raise the prices of houses because that expenditure is not coming from the builder, lender, or selling agent.  It could just end up being a tax break.  In the end, this is up to Congress, as they control the purse strings.  Also, stopping big companies like Zillow from buying up properties is a good thing.  There is no reason to make house-buying and renting a monopoly.  Make no mistake; people from both sides of the aisle would use this program if made available.

    10
    Topic locked
  • Johnston, SC · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 14 votes
    2y

    Funny, no mention at all of her unrealized gains tax she has bandied about. 

    6
    Topic locked
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Tchaka Owen:

    One thing I've realized over the years is to listed to what a politician proposes and attempt to extrapolate a realistic outcome. Often what is spoken is to energize a target audience. Often the outcome is a watered down version. Will there be a $25k credit for FTHB? Highly doubtful. But could there be an incentive in the $5k-10k range, certainly. Isn't red tape more of a state issue? If so, how much influence could she have. As far as using Federal land for new construction, that might help near Jackson, Wyoming. But I don't see any national impact. The way I see it, neither candidate will be able to affect housing significantly.


    good points.. red tape is solely city and county feds have little to no influence there along with private utls.. so not sure that is remotely realistic.. One can cut red tape on Federal projects or rules..  And federal land exactly the market I see that could be impacted the most by selling federal land to developers is Las Vegas NV.. its surrounded by federal lands.
    1
    Topic locked
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Paul C Minor:

    3 million homes.  I see an opportunity for us to get on that train.  If the money is coming from the government (We the People), it won't raise the prices of houses because that expenditure is not coming from the builder, lender, or selling agent.  It could just end up being a tax break.  In the end, this is up to Congress, as they control the purse strings.  Also, stopping big companies like Zillow from buying up properties is a good thing.  There is no reason to make house-buying and renting a monopoly.  Make no mistake; people from both sides of the aisle would use this program if made available.


    was the point to build 3 mil MORE homes than currently being built.. that will be tough given supply chains and manpower and zoning and land use rules.. your not going to for instance in Oregon bust the long standing urban growth boundary rules without revamping the entire states land use process's and laws.. plus what kind of housing.. ???  Projects for subsidized housing we all know how those end up.
    2
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2024 · 9 posts · 19 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Pete Widell:

    Funny, no mention at all of her unrealized gains tax she has bandied about. 


     That's for those with a net worth of more than $100 million.  Congrats if you're there.

    3
    Topic locked
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Paul C Minor:
    Quote from @Pete Widell:

    Funny, no mention at all of her unrealized gains tax she has bandied about. 


     That's for those with a net worth of more than $100 million.  Congrats if you're there.


    Net worth and liquidity to pay tax are two very different things.. I cant see this getting passed either.. sounds great to all the billionare haters  though.
    2
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2024 · 9 posts · 19 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Paul C Minor:

    3 million homes.  I see an opportunity for us to get on that train.  If the money is coming from the government (We the People), it won't raise the prices of houses because that expenditure is not coming from the builder, lender, or selling agent.  It could just end up being a tax break.  In the end, this is up to Congress, as they control the purse strings.  Also, stopping big companies like Zillow from buying up properties is a good thing.  There is no reason to make house-buying and renting a monopoly.  Make no mistake; people from both sides of the aisle would use this program if made available.


    was the point to build 3 mil MORE homes than currently being built.. that will be tough given supply chains and manpower and zoning and land use rules.. your not going to for instance in Oregon bust the long standing urban growth boundary rules without revamping the entire states land use process's and laws.. plus what kind of housing.. ???  Projects for subsidized housing we all know how those end up.

     Think of it like infrastructure bills; if they are passed into law, they happen.  Of course we'll have to go through municipality zoning processes, but that's the nature of what we do.  There will be thousands of companies involved.  The bill proposal is in its early stages so I won't pretend to have all the answers, and I agree that subsidized housing initiatives need some work.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2024 · 9 posts · 19 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Paul C Minor:
    Quote from @Pete Widell:

    Funny, no mention at all of her unrealized gains tax she has bandied about. 


     That's for those with a net worth of more than $100 million.  Congrats if you're there.


    Net worth and liquidity to pay tax are two very different things.. I cant see this getting passed either.. sounds great to all the billionare haters  though.

     Agreed that piece likely won't pass.  Citizens United all but ensures that since said billionaires can lobby for candidates as if they were people.

    3
    Topic locked
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Paul C Minor:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Paul C Minor:

    3 million homes.  I see an opportunity for us to get on that train.  If the money is coming from the government (We the People), it won't raise the prices of houses because that expenditure is not coming from the builder, lender, or selling agent.  It could just end up being a tax break.  In the end, this is up to Congress, as they control the purse strings.  Also, stopping big companies like Zillow from buying up properties is a good thing.  There is no reason to make house-buying and renting a monopoly.  Make no mistake; people from both sides of the aisle would use this program if made available.


    was the point to build 3 mil MORE homes than currently being built.. that will be tough given supply chains and manpower and zoning and land use rules.. your not going to for instance in Oregon bust the long standing urban growth boundary rules without revamping the entire states land use process's and laws.. plus what kind of housing.. ???  Projects for subsidized housing we all know how those end up.

     Think of it like infrastructure bills; if they are passed into law, they happen.  Of course we'll have to go through municipality zoning processes, but that's the nature of what we do.  There will be thousands of companies involved.  The bill proposal is in its early stages so I won't pretend to have all the answers, and I agree that subsidized housing initiatives need some work.


    Feds have done subsidized housing already it creates basically ghettos.. I would think its too expensive to do SFR..  but maybe it will be like Habitat for Humans  although when you look at their projects houses biult as cheap as code will allow.. so to me I guess if you put them in dead and dying areas to spruce them up that could be an improvement
    2
    Topic locked
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Paul C Minor:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Paul C Minor:

    3 million homes.  I see an opportunity for us to get on that train.  If the money is coming from the government (We the People), it won't raise the prices of houses because that expenditure is not coming from the builder, lender, or selling agent.  It could just end up being a tax break.  In the end, this is up to Congress, as they control the purse strings.  Also, stopping big companies like Zillow from buying up properties is a good thing.  There is no reason to make house-buying and renting a monopoly.  Make no mistake; people from both sides of the aisle would use this program if made available.


    was the point to build 3 mil MORE homes than currently being built.. that will be tough given supply chains and manpower and zoning and land use rules.. your not going to for instance in Oregon bust the long standing urban growth boundary rules without revamping the entire states land use process's and laws.. plus what kind of housing.. ???  Projects for subsidized housing we all know how those end up.

     Think of it like infrastructure bills; if they are passed into law, they happen.  Of course we'll have to go through municipality zoning processes, but that's the nature of what we do.  There will be thousands of companies involved.  The bill proposal is in its early stages so I won't pretend to have all the answers, and I agree that subsidized housing initiatives need some work.


    ya good point on infrastructure.. they could raise the funds using double tax free Muni's it was common back in the day when we were developing in CA.. to use bond issues for public improvements that had federal tax bene' they are expensive though to put together usually 200 to 250k and that was in the 80s.. by the time you get apprasials and Bond Council etc etc.. Not all states allow bonds to be floated for private development though I know Oregon Does NOT. so that would have to be addressed..
    1
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2024 · 9 posts · 19 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Paul C Minor:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Paul C Minor:

    3 million homes.  I see an opportunity for us to get on that train.  If the money is coming from the government (We the People), it won't raise the prices of houses because that expenditure is not coming from the builder, lender, or selling agent.  It could just end up being a tax break.  In the end, this is up to Congress, as they control the purse strings.  Also, stopping big companies like Zillow from buying up properties is a good thing.  There is no reason to make house-buying and renting a monopoly.  Make no mistake; people from both sides of the aisle would use this program if made available.


    was the point to build 3 mil MORE homes than currently being built.. that will be tough given supply chains and manpower and zoning and land use rules.. your not going to for instance in Oregon bust the long standing urban growth boundary rules without revamping the entire states land use process's and laws.. plus what kind of housing.. ???  Projects for subsidized housing we all know how those end up.

     Think of it like infrastructure bills; if they are passed into law, they happen.  Of course we'll have to go through municipality zoning processes, but that's the nature of what we do.  There will be thousands of companies involved.  The bill proposal is in its early stages so I won't pretend to have all the answers, and I agree that subsidized housing initiatives need some work.


    Feds have done subsidized housing already it creates basically ghettos.. I would think its too expensive to do SFR..  but maybe it will be like Habitat for Humans  although when you look at their projects houses biult as cheap as code will allow.. so to me I guess if you put them in dead and dying areas to spruce them up that could be an improvement

    I live in a production home that's far from a ghetto.  These builders built the cheapest that code will allow.  The finishes we were allowed to choose were the only difference.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Paul C Minor:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Paul C Minor:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Paul C Minor:

    3 million homes.  I see an opportunity for us to get on that train.  If the money is coming from the government (We the People), it won't raise the prices of houses because that expenditure is not coming from the builder, lender, or selling agent.  It could just end up being a tax break.  In the end, this is up to Congress, as they control the purse strings.  Also, stopping big companies like Zillow from buying up properties is a good thing.  There is no reason to make house-buying and renting a monopoly.  Make no mistake; people from both sides of the aisle would use this program if made available.


    was the point to build 3 mil MORE homes than currently being built.. that will be tough given supply chains and manpower and zoning and land use rules.. your not going to for instance in Oregon bust the long standing urban growth boundary rules without revamping the entire states land use process's and laws.. plus what kind of housing.. ???  Projects for subsidized housing we all know how those end up.

     Think of it like infrastructure bills; if they are passed into law, they happen.  Of course we'll have to go through municipality zoning processes, but that's the nature of what we do.  There will be thousands of companies involved.  The bill proposal is in its early stages so I won't pretend to have all the answers, and I agree that subsidized housing initiatives need some work.


    Feds have done subsidized housing already it creates basically ghettos.. I would think its too expensive to do SFR..  but maybe it will be like Habitat for Humans  although when you look at their projects houses biult as cheap as code will allow.. so to me I guess if you put them in dead and dying areas to spruce them up that could be an improvement

    I live in a production home that's far from a ghetto.  These builders built the cheapest that code will allow.  The finishes we were allowed to choose were the only difference.


    I get it I built half a dozen starter homes in FLA that were to minimum UBC code but they are still designed better than HFH when it comes to curb appeal.. and keep in mind your neighborhood is owner occ.. huge difference than subsidized housing.  I look at these projects as I move through the markets I work in  out east  MS AL OH MO etc etc.. and especially MS you look at a project that was built 5 years ago and its run down and no pride of ownership on 80% of them and basically just crap.
    1
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Member since 2023 · 118 posts · 61 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kristin Flores-Brockman:

    If Harris gets elected and implements this $25k for FTHB, guess what that will do to the price of the homes.....? increase them by $25k. People forget, there are implications when you give things away for free. Ultimately, someone will be paying for it. NOTHING is for free, someone ultimately pays for it.


     I second that.

    I remember back in 2008 time frame having a hard time selling a SFR here in SoCal. Obama's FTHB came along and it sold in short order, full price. I always felt it was due to the bump in demand created by the tax credit. Who paid for my windfall, not sure, increased national debt perhaps.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Kristin Flores-Brockman:

    If Harris gets elected and implements this $25k for FTHB, guess what that will do to the price of the homes.....? increase them by $25k. People forget, there are implications when you give things away for free. Ultimately, someone will be paying for it. NOTHING is for free, someone ultimately pays for it.


     I second that.

    I remember back in 2008 time frame having a hard time selling a SFR here in SoCal. Obama's FTHB came along and it sold in short order, full price. I always felt it was due to the bump in demand created by the tax credit. Who paid for my windfall, not sure, increased national debt perhaps.


    its also how they are selling electric cars. 
    1
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2024 · 9 posts · 19 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Paul C Minor:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Paul C Minor:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Paul C Minor:

    3 million homes.  I see an opportunity for us to get on that train.  If the money is coming from the government (We the People), it won't raise the prices of houses because that expenditure is not coming from the builder, lender, or selling agent.  It could just end up being a tax break.  In the end, this is up to Congress, as they control the purse strings.  Also, stopping big companies like Zillow from buying up properties is a good thing.  There is no reason to make house-buying and renting a monopoly.  Make no mistake; people from both sides of the aisle would use this program if made available.


    was the point to build 3 mil MORE homes than currently being built.. that will be tough given supply chains and manpower and zoning and land use rules.. your not going to for instance in Oregon bust the long standing urban growth boundary rules without revamping the entire states land use process's and laws.. plus what kind of housing.. ???  Projects for subsidized housing we all know how those end up.

     Think of it like infrastructure bills; if they are passed into law, they happen.  Of course we'll have to go through municipality zoning processes, but that's the nature of what we do.  There will be thousands of companies involved.  The bill proposal is in its early stages so I won't pretend to have all the answers, and I agree that subsidized housing initiatives need some work.


    Feds have done subsidized housing already it creates basically ghettos.. I would think its too expensive to do SFR..  but maybe it will be like Habitat for Humans  although when you look at their projects houses biult as cheap as code will allow.. so to me I guess if you put them in dead and dying areas to spruce them up that could be an improvement

    I live in a production home that's far from a ghetto.  These builders built the cheapest that code will allow.  The finishes we were allowed to choose were the only difference.


    I get it I built half a dozen starter homes in FLA that were to minimum UBC code but they are still designed better than HFH when it comes to curb appeal.. and keep in mind your neighborhood is owner occ.. huge difference than subsidized housing.  I look at these projects as I move through the markets I work in  out east  MS AL OH MO etc etc.. and especially MS you look at a project that was built 5 years ago and its run down and no pride of ownership on 80% of them and basically just crap.

     I totally understand that houses need to be maintained - no matter how they're built.  Most recently, I worked with a client out here in Colorado that let their parade of homes house (from 25 years ago) in a gated community literally fall to pieces; mold between window panes, water infiltrating the kitchen due to lack of roof repair, patio pavers crumbling apart, downspout misplacements that caused water infiltration into the living room....just a mess.  The couple are both empty-nesters and each owns their own business.  They are myriad reasons as to why people let this happen, and I've personally witnessed it transcend socioeconomic boundaries.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Paul C Minor:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Paul C Minor:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Paul C Minor:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Paul C Minor:

    3 million homes.  I see an opportunity for us to get on that train.  If the money is coming from the government (We the People), it won't raise the prices of houses because that expenditure is not coming from the builder, lender, or selling agent.  It could just end up being a tax break.  In the end, this is up to Congress, as they control the purse strings.  Also, stopping big companies like Zillow from buying up properties is a good thing.  There is no reason to make house-buying and renting a monopoly.  Make no mistake; people from both sides of the aisle would use this program if made available.


    was the point to build 3 mil MORE homes than currently being built.. that will be tough given supply chains and manpower and zoning and land use rules.. your not going to for instance in Oregon bust the long standing urban growth boundary rules without revamping the entire states land use process's and laws.. plus what kind of housing.. ???  Projects for subsidized housing we all know how those end up.

     Think of it like infrastructure bills; if they are passed into law, they happen.  Of course we'll have to go through municipality zoning processes, but that's the nature of what we do.  There will be thousands of companies involved.  The bill proposal is in its early stages so I won't pretend to have all the answers, and I agree that subsidized housing initiatives need some work.


    Feds have done subsidized housing already it creates basically ghettos.. I would think its too expensive to do SFR..  but maybe it will be like Habitat for Humans  although when you look at their projects houses biult as cheap as code will allow.. so to me I guess if you put them in dead and dying areas to spruce them up that could be an improvement

    I live in a production home that's far from a ghetto.  These builders built the cheapest that code will allow.  The finishes we were allowed to choose were the only difference.


    I get it I built half a dozen starter homes in FLA that were to minimum UBC code but they are still designed better than HFH when it comes to curb appeal.. and keep in mind your neighborhood is owner occ.. huge difference than subsidized housing.  I look at these projects as I move through the markets I work in  out east  MS AL OH MO etc etc.. and especially MS you look at a project that was built 5 years ago and its run down and no pride of ownership on 80% of them and basically just crap.

     I totally understand that houses need to be maintained - no matter how they're built.  Most recently, I worked with a client out here in Colorado that let their parade of homes house (from 25 years ago) in a gated community literally fall to pieces; mold between window panes, water infiltrating the kitchen due to lack of roof repair, patio pavers crumbling apart, downspout misplacements that caused water infiltration into the living room....just a mess.  The couple are both empty-nesters and each owns their own business.  They are myriad reasons as to why people let this happen, and I've personally witnessed it transcend socioeconomic boundaries.


    well as a fix and flip lender thats all we lend on is homes that have been run down .. your right happens in all socio situations.. just more so in fully subsidized there is just no deny that fact.
    0
    Topic locked
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Paul C Minor:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Paul C Minor:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Paul C Minor:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Paul C Minor:

    3 million homes.  I see an opportunity for us to get on that train.  If the money is coming from the government (We the People), it won't raise the prices of houses because that expenditure is not coming from the builder, lender, or selling agent.  It could just end up being a tax break.  In the end, this is up to Congress, as they control the purse strings.  Also, stopping big companies like Zillow from buying up properties is a good thing.  There is no reason to make house-buying and renting a monopoly.  Make no mistake; people from both sides of the aisle would use this program if made available.


    was the point to build 3 mil MORE homes than currently being built.. that will be tough given supply chains and manpower and zoning and land use rules.. your not going to for instance in Oregon bust the long standing urban growth boundary rules without revamping the entire states land use process's and laws.. plus what kind of housing.. ???  Projects for subsidized housing we all know how those end up.

     Think of it like infrastructure bills; if they are passed into law, they happen.  Of course we'll have to go through municipality zoning processes, but that's the nature of what we do.  There will be thousands of companies involved.  The bill proposal is in its early stages so I won't pretend to have all the answers, and I agree that subsidized housing initiatives need some work.


    Feds have done subsidized housing already it creates basically ghettos.. I would think its too expensive to do SFR..  but maybe it will be like Habitat for Humans  although when you look at their projects houses biult as cheap as code will allow.. so to me I guess if you put them in dead and dying areas to spruce them up that could be an improvement

    I live in a production home that's far from a ghetto.  These builders built the cheapest that code will allow.  The finishes we were allowed to choose were the only difference.


    I get it I built half a dozen starter homes in FLA that were to minimum UBC code but they are still designed better than HFH when it comes to curb appeal.. and keep in mind your neighborhood is owner occ.. huge difference than subsidized housing.  I look at these projects as I move through the markets I work in  out east  MS AL OH MO etc etc.. and especially MS you look at a project that was built 5 years ago and its run down and no pride of ownership on 80% of them and basically just crap.

     I totally understand that houses need to be maintained - no matter how they're built.  Most recently, I worked with a client out here in Colorado that let their parade of homes house (from 25 years ago) in a gated community literally fall to pieces; mold between window panes, water infiltrating the kitchen due to lack of roof repair, patio pavers crumbling apart, downspout misplacements that caused water infiltration into the living room....just a mess.  The couple are both empty-nesters and each owns their own business.  They are myriad reasons as to why people let this happen, and I've personally witnessed it transcend socioeconomic boundaries.


    I am just finishing up on a 90 home new build project I own in Oregon.. 700 to 1mil so first time move up basically..  there are 2 out of the 70 we have built that are going thorugh deteroration currently one you can tell from the outside.. the other I was in it the other day and the people are insanely messy.. hardwood floors ruined in less than 3 years just sad.. outside you would not know it.. but when they go to sell there will need to be a full gut remodel no doubt.  peeps are peeps
    1
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2024 · 9 posts · 19 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Paul C Minor:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Paul C Minor:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Paul C Minor:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Paul C Minor:

    3 million homes.  I see an opportunity for us to get on that train.  If the money is coming from the government (We the People), it won't raise the prices of houses because that expenditure is not coming from the builder, lender, or selling agent.  It could just end up being a tax break.  In the end, this is up to Congress, as they control the purse strings.  Also, stopping big companies like Zillow from buying up properties is a good thing.  There is no reason to make house-buying and renting a monopoly.  Make no mistake; people from both sides of the aisle would use this program if made available.


    was the point to build 3 mil MORE homes than currently being built.. that will be tough given supply chains and manpower and zoning and land use rules.. your not going to for instance in Oregon bust the long standing urban growth boundary rules without revamping the entire states land use process's and laws.. plus what kind of housing.. ???  Projects for subsidized housing we all know how those end up.

     Think of it like infrastructure bills; if they are passed into law, they happen.  Of course we'll have to go through municipality zoning processes, but that's the nature of what we do.  There will be thousands of companies involved.  The bill proposal is in its early stages so I won't pretend to have all the answers, and I agree that subsidized housing initiatives need some work.


    Feds have done subsidized housing already it creates basically ghettos.. I would think its too expensive to do SFR..  but maybe it will be like Habitat for Humans  although when you look at their projects houses biult as cheap as code will allow.. so to me I guess if you put them in dead and dying areas to spruce them up that could be an improvement

    I live in a production home that's far from a ghetto.  These builders built the cheapest that code will allow.  The finishes we were allowed to choose were the only difference.


    I get it I built half a dozen starter homes in FLA that were to minimum UBC code but they are still designed better than HFH when it comes to curb appeal.. and keep in mind your neighborhood is owner occ.. huge difference than subsidized housing.  I look at these projects as I move through the markets I work in  out east  MS AL OH MO etc etc.. and especially MS you look at a project that was built 5 years ago and its run down and no pride of ownership on 80% of them and basically just crap.

     I totally understand that houses need to be maintained - no matter how they're built.  Most recently, I worked with a client out here in Colorado that let their parade of homes house (from 25 years ago) in a gated community literally fall to pieces; mold between window panes, water infiltrating the kitchen due to lack of roof repair, patio pavers crumbling apart, downspout misplacements that caused water infiltration into the living room....just a mess.  The couple are both empty-nesters and each owns their own business.  They are myriad reasons as to why people let this happen, and I've personally witnessed it transcend socioeconomic boundaries.


    I am just finishing up on a 90 home new build project I own in Oregon.. 700 to 1mil so first time move up basically..  there are 2 out of the 70 we have built that are going thorugh deteroration currently one you can tell from the outside.. the other I was in it the other day and the people are insanely messy.. hardwood floors ruined in less than 3 years just sad.. outside you would not know it.. but when they go to sell there will need to be a full gut remodel no doubt.  peeps are peeps

     This is true!  And the reasons vary, but probably not an appropriate discussion on BP, lol.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2022 · 12 posts · 12 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kristin Flores-Brockman:

    If Harris gets elected and implements this $25k for FTHB, guess what that will do to the price of the homes.....? increase them by $25k. People forget, there are implications when you give things away for free. Ultimately, someone will be paying for it. NOTHING is for free, someone ultimately pays for it.


    Maybe, not much evidence of this historically being 1:1. The early 2000's credits increased prices, but they were tanking and the stabilization was a good thing. But let's say it does - that's at most a $5000 additional down payment, which is the major barrier to ownership. It absolutely would make home ownership more achievable for those on the margins of feasibility, and these credits have historically surged home sales. Whether or not it's a realistic policy is another question, but at least it's a plan and something we would likely all benefit from.

    1
    Topic locked