Rental Property Investor · Fargo, ND · Member since 2016 · 136 posts · 112 votes
Is it just me or are about 25% of all real estate investors, also engineers? As an Engineer myself I could be biased but curious if anyone has insight. I know folks usually have professional background like IT, accounting, dr but would be going out on a limb to say engineers cover the majority of all real estate investors?
Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y
I did the eng gig until REI proved to be way more profitable. It's paid off in so many ways allowing me to do 'permitted' electrical (took that minor in elect.), opening & replacing walls with LVL beams, HVAC installs, on-demand HW (elect & NG) etc etc. It's a discipline that opened so many cost saving opportunities & you don't get snowed by contractors, home or building inspectors. Biggest job 'permitted' by my town was the complete design, install & wiring/flow rate monitoring of complete fire sprinkler system for a 6 unit. They allowed me 6 months & did it all myself.
But then again I remember our final exams forbade the use of calculators, slide rules were the only device allowed as were card punched software solutions in our lab finals.
Investor · Bristol Borough, PA · Member since 2016 · 135 posts · 53 votes
6y
Yup! I'm a chemical engineer. I've come across a lot of engineers in REI while networking and thought the same thing.
My theory is that we as engineers are naturally creative. When we were going through school, we were able to be relatively creative (i.e. projects, problem solving, etc). However, once we ended up getting jobs, all creativity stopped. At least for me, engineering is not at all what I thought it would be. I'm not building or creating anything. Now we just follow SOPs and really can't do anything without involving half the site for approvals and oversight. I think our creativity in the workplace is extremely limited and REI is our space to use the creativity we have naturally and cultivated in college.
Investor · Skagit County, WA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 807 votes
6y
@Kevin Mahoney Does my job title of Project Engineer for a large GC qualify? I'm a CM major from U of WA, but it's in the College of Built Environments with architecture and urban planning. I can't think of a better background for real estate investing!
Flipper/Rehabber · Greensboro, NC · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes
6y
I'm civil engineer but worked a PM dealing with contractors and holding them to schedule. I have done a lot of fix&flips. It's fun. Sometimes you come across a good or bad guy. Rule #1. Don't lose money.
Oak Park, IL · Member since 2014 · 285 posts · 114 votes
6y
Bachelors and Masters in Civil/Structural Engineering. I believe that Engineers succeed in business because we think with a logical process and have a long term mindset which is cost/benefit analysis of any project real estate or otherwise over long term. We think with logic and not with emotion or feeling. We donot go for the feel and business has no feelings. Still work in Engineering/Construction Management. REI is my part time gig and I am really happy doing it.
Realtor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 1 vote
6y
@Adam Zach
I’m an IT Project Manager and a Realtor. Real Estate Investing appeals to me because of the passive income potential for retirement. Flipping houses looks fun because of the Project Management. Great question!
Engineer · Montclair, NJ · Member since 2015 · 103 posts · 57 votes
6y
Mechanical Engineer here. I run a small consulting business designing HVAC, Plumbing and Fire protection for a variety of buildings. I work with developers and contractors on a daily basis. Been saving, learning and researching RE for years and finally I'm looking for my first multi-family to start house hacking and getting things going. I ultimately would like to get involved in development as I know a lot about it and it interests me.
As far as engineers in REI I think its a pretty obvious transition. Most engineers are super calculated and able to assess things from a pure analytical standpoint and without emotion. Makes it easier for them to target and evaluate deals.
New to Real Estate · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 16 votes
6y
@Julie Marquez Absoulety! YEs working for a large GC is such great way to learn a little about many trades at once! What company are you with out there?
New to Real Estate · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 16 votes
6y
@Morgan Madill Hahah yes sir! I am doing the exact same thing. I am currently in Dallas by way of Chicago for my job right now! Banking as much living stipend as a can to cover closing costs and down payment on my first deal in the next year or so!
Real Estate Consultant · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 25 posts · 3 votes
6y
i'm a software engineer which helps with being detail oriented when it comes to this business! Being in the Denver market, I have a few friends that are engineers and are either interested or active in real estate. I love real estate and definitely don't want to work the corporate life. One step at a time with real estate!
No. Just to throw a number, not nearly 5% of REI people are engineers. If you think about how many PE licenses are out there, and how many investors are out there, even if 50% of the engineering force in the US are investors that number will be way less than the 25% of the overall investors, if that make sense.
Almost everyone that has responded to this blog is an engineer. Don't take that number into account to answer your question. We are in BP because we are investors, and yes, maybe also engineers.
Now on the other hand, if you measure investing capital in therms of %, then that number will go up in terms of engineers investors. Construction companies and developers are more often run by engineers (or former engineers) than a teacher, accountant, doctor/nurse, lawyer, IT, etc. Of course, some of these firms with large portfolios run by engineers or similar, are big and $ wise, they put a larger % into that.
Savannah, GA · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 3 votes
6y
I am a Marine Engineer and currently work full time as a Port Engineer for assist tugs on the Savannah river. I am working on using my knowledge and skill I gain from repairing tugboats and managing repairs and maintenance to creating a real-estate business. Something about working unbelievably hard all the time while making other rich is hard for me to wrap my head around. I want to work that hard for myself! It is a great and stable job to fall back on and help be get started though.
Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 6 votes
6y
@Adam Zach I’m not an engineer but I am a machinist and gunsmith yup those are things
Associates in cnc machining, associates in precision manual machining and associates in gunsmithing. All deal with with engineers and numbers and blueprints! So probably a collective that engineer minded people are un happy with the “system of their job” and are looking to fix or improve it with more time,more money, and more freedom.