Wholesaler · North Andover, MA · Member since 2021 · 18 posts · 2 votes
I am new to real estate investing, so I am a spurge that keeps soaking up water. One of the things I keep hearing as a new investor is to never go of Zillow zestimate. So am I wrong for using it to help me get a estimate of the property?
Real Estate Agent · Portland, OR · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 605 votes
5y
Hi @Hiram Lopez, the problem with Zestimetes is that they don't know the condition of the property. If you are looking for a general idea as to what it would be worth, I think it is a great starting point. Just don't let that do the work for you. You should be pulling your own comps given the location and condition of the property.
In my experience, I have seen it be very accurate and completely off so it depends on the situation.
China, ME · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
5y
@Hiram Lopez Zillow's "zestimates" are comically wrong. If you drill down deep enough, you'll find their disclaimer that discloses the anticipated range of error. In the metro Boston market, last time I looked it was something like "within 10% of value 80% of the time". With Mass real estate prices, you should (not will, bit should) be within $70,000 - except for the 20% of cases where the error is larger.
It is a truly useless number because as @Brad Hammond said, they don't know if the house has just undergone a down-to-the-studs luxury renovation, or if it desperately needs one because the ceilings are about to cave in because the pipes froze and destroyed the interior.
PS - unlicensed wholesaling is illegal in Mass. But that's another story for another time.
Rental Property Investor · Centreville, VA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 799 votes
5y
I try to do a street view and try and to get the list price on the next 2 properties and that will give me a good idea of what my property is worth. Also, exploring the sold properties on zillow is also a technique I saw an investor use on youtube.
China, ME · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
5y
@Hiram Lopez Marketing a property that you do not already own in Massachusetts (and most, if not all other states) requires a real estate license. I have not only run that by a real estate attorney but also the state boards of real estate in both Massachusetts and Maine. I practiced in both.
Do whatever you want, but do it with your eyes open and be ready to accept the consequences if a ticked off family member files a complaint.
Wholesaler · North Andover, MA · Member since 2021 · 18 posts · 2 votes
5y
@Charlie MacPherson it doesn’t state that it’s illegal for a person to have a purchase and sell agreement signed by both parties. If I want to buy a house and sell it than I could
Rental Property Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2018 · 716 posts · 555 votes
5y
@Hiram Lopez you need to get good at analysing property values if you are serious about this industry. While using a zestimate would make life easy it's like just wanting to take a pill to lose weight (and yes they are very unreliable in both directions)
Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 4 votes
5y
Learn to run your own numbers. A zestimate is much like a listing price, in that, it isn’t even relevant to the value many times.
In my area Zillow will pull “comps” 2-3 miles away, 3 neighborhoods over, crossing 2 or more major streets and even a highway. That’s not a comp even if it’s the same exact house.
Rental Property Investor · Boston, Massachusetts (MA) · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y
like all algorithms the more data it has the better it gets, so neighborhoods with lots of comps and similar houses get closer estimates. But the algorithm draws macro data and any one particular house is micro so its pretty limited usefulness even at its best. If you are looking at zestimates just look at the sold prices you get hard data.
Specialist · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 291 posts · 231 votes
5y
@Hiram Lopez let’s put it this way I have seen them change by over 120K in one day for a property. Like someone mentioned it don’t account for condition. For houses that need a rehab it’s almost always high and for rehabbed houses it’s almost always low at least in my area.
Rental Property Investor · Tucson AZ / Nice FR / Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y
It's hit or miss, just depends the region, but keep in mind that Zillow now makes iBuyer offers based on their own Zestimate. The more transactions they have in a region the better it gets. Frankly even a fully licensed appraiser is only so good. I have more than a decade in this business, and the range of values is worth a grain of salt. I have seen two separate appraisers go to the same property, in the same condition, and both come back almost 40% apart on the value, but when it comes to banks needing some type of proof of value, and the fact that most people only buy one or two homes in their lifetime, they just want someone to be able to tell them they are not overpaying. End of the day, if the seller thinks their shack is worth pie in the sky, then that is their opinion, and no one can convince them otherwise. Half the job is having dozens of people tell you they have a house is worth market or higher, while your trying to get it at half the value, so you can fix it up and bring it to true market value, with a little extra equity on the backend for the win. Prices are fluid, and a house is only worth what someone is willing to buy it for in the moment.
Investor · Leominster Ma · Member since 2019 · 305 posts · 162 votes
5y
Zillow actually posts how inaccurate they are. I used their numbers to do a youtube video at one point. Just google zestimate accuracy and you will see the Zillow link that breaks it down by different areas.