Horrrible Postcard Response Rate

Horrrible Postcard Response Rate

John HornerPro Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes

I just wanted to share the results from my most recent postcard campaign.

So my first campaign was just over 200 yellow letters to a list of absentee owners with equity and I got above 12% response rate, but most were just tire kickers (I know 200 isn't many but glad I started small because the flood of calls I got were overwhelming the first time). So my second go around I bought a list of 650 absentee owners with equity. I used click2mail.com and created a mail merge postcard with the owners name and property address to catch their attention. With this most recent postcard campaign I received 5 calls. 5 calls on 650 mailers? I double and triple checked to make sure all of the information was correct, and the calls I got were to the correct addresses.

My thinking was that I would get less calls but more interested sellers. The yellow letters create a lot of action but most were just curious.

Any thoughts on my strategy?

1Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2012 · 46 posts · 15 votes
12y

Listen to Podcast #12, #21, and #42. Great marketing wholesaling pieces.

See this reply in the discussion

36 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    12y

    Your initial 12% response rate seems very high. The lower rate on the second mailing seems more typical.

    When you're going this type of marketing, its key to test your mailpiece. Send different cards to different sets of people to test which produces the better result.

    And follow up. I've read you'll need to do about six mailings to the same person to really produce results.

  • Real Estate Broker · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2012 · 46 posts · 15 votes
    12y

    Listen to Podcast #12, #21, and #42. Great marketing wholesaling pieces.

  • John HornerPro Member
    OP
    Flipper/Rehabber · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    12y

    @Jon Holdman , I chalked the higher response rate up to the first batch being hand written yellow letters, and the second being mail merge postcards. From what I've read 10% - 15% is about normal for yellow letters?

  • Urbana, IL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 425 votes
    12y

    I agree with Jon, your 12% rate was high and once I saw that I thought "DANG, I gotta read this post!" I'm not sure what set your rate that high but 200 is such a small sample size it could have been strange luck of the draw, but I'm not one to rely on luck so figure out what you did. Was it the target audience? Was it the type of initial contact? You may be right that those were tire kickers as opposed to real motivated sellers.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    12y

    I don't do direct mail myself. But folks do talk about that here quite a bit. And I've considered giving it a try.

    I think a few percent is more typical than 10-15%. But I do think it strongly depends on your mailpiece, your list, and your persistence. If you keep hitting the same list will multiple mailings you might get up to the 10-15% number for that list.

    I think this is very much a numbers game. My expectation going in would be that I would need to send thousands of pieces of mail out to get one deal. And that the vast majority of responses would either be from people who did want to sell but wanted retail or that really weren't that interested in selling but would if I would give them a premium price. The need to wade through all that along with the time and expense just to do the mailings is what's put me off trying this.

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    12y

    I'm new to direct mail but I do think that a >10% response even with a yellow letter to a good list is better than you should expect.

    For the postcards that seems just a hair low.

    I think for that many pieces I would have expected 10+/-3 calls so not that far off. Also how long ago did you send them, you could get a couple more trickling a little later.

    Also what were the quality of the calls? If you got 5 solid prospects and a deal out of it then you got exactly what you wanted, less calls but better ones. If you just got 5 more tire kickers then that is more of an issue.

    BTW I have sent out 3,705 pieces recently and have gotten 2 people calling to ask to be taken off the list. Stop whining! :)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    @John Horner

    Congrats on taking action... Its the first indication of success.

    As for response rates... A single mailing doesn't give you a picture painted well enough to evaluate. Its like coloring by dots but only having one dot colored...

    Yellow Letters tend to fall somewhere between 8% to 25% although I have had times where customers have had 50%+... However that was luck and not sustainable.

    Postcards tend to be in the arena of half of one percent to sometimes 2 percent however two is an anomaly...

    Larger cards tend to be better then smaller cards and using embedded commands within your copy tends to increase performance as well as using variable data.. However with all that said no single piece of mail can create the type of motivation required no matter what you say.

    Keep sending mail... and don't wait on success.

  • John HornerPro Member
    OP
    Flipper/Rehabber · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    12y

    Thanks for all the encouraging words and feedback guys! It is much appreciated!

    Of the five calls:

    1 was the wrong address

    2 asked to take off the list

    1 was listed but in foreclosure and we came close to a deal

    1 was a duplex that will probably turn into a deal. Worth about $165k and his first asking price was $125K, but needs about $8k in work done to it.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y
    I think most people that send out cards forget the most important thing the absentee owners love to hear is I have cash money and ready to buy.

    Joe Gore
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    @Account Closed

    Absolutely.... CA$H is king when buying at a discount. I didn't really understand this completely until I began marketing 1800 SELL 4 CASH as my telephone number and brand...

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by John Horner:
    Thanks for all the encouraging words and feedback guys! It is much appreciated!

    Of the five calls:

    1 was the wrong address

    2 asked to take off the list

    1 was listed but in foreclosure and we came close to a deal

    1 was a duplex that will probably turn into a deal. Worth about $165k and his first asking price was $125K, but needs about $8k in work done to it.

    So 40% of your calls were really good prospects and you think there is a good chance you are going to get a deal out of it. That with an overall response rate of just under 1%. Looks pretty good to me.

    Say you start to scale up and send 2,000 PCs a month and keep the same basic rates.

    You'd be getting about 15 calls with about 6 good leads and 3 turning into deals. I'd call that ECSTASY!

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y
    Here is just a thought. Set up a bulk mailing account with the post office and send out your post card to everyone in a city of your choosing, and I am sure you will get a better response.

    This is only me thinking.

    Joe Gore
  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Joe Gore:
    Here is just a thought. Set up a bulk mailing account with the post office and send out your post card to everyone in a city of your choosing, and I am sure you will get a better response.

    This is only me thinking.

    Joe Gore

    Are you saying that the rate would be higher or the total response would be higher? Doing something like that say with the USPS EDDM would be a cheap way to send out a ton more stuff but since it isn't targeted at all the rate is likely going to be a lot lower. It can be useful depending on your specific strategy since some investors do it.

    It does seem that the general concensous on that is it is good for selling pizza but not so much for buying houses.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y
    Shaun,

    I am saying you will reach a lot more people that you might not reach otherwise.

    Joe Gore
  • John HornerPro Member
    OP
    Flipper/Rehabber · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    12y

    I am with Shaun, I would highly doubt that EDDM would get a better response.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Joe.

    In our current market one should never blanket mail. We don't want calls we want motivated sellers who have the ability to sell to us in a fashion which fits our business model causing us to earn a profit.

    We still only see a 9-11% seller base.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    Michael,

    I was my thought.


    Joe Gore

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Joe Gore:
    Shaun,

    I am saying you will reach a lot more people that you might not reach otherwise.

    Joe Gore

    That is without any doubt going to be true.

    However there is a reason that most of these people wouldn't get reached otherwise. They don't have any obvious reason why they would want to sell so they won't show up on lists.

    If you want to blanket an area there are more economical ways to do it. Outdoor signage is the most common and talked about way. If you want to hit a house directly better off getting a door hanger. Sticks out more than a PC and you can get them in large quantities for less than $0.04 each.

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by John Horner:
    Thanks for all the encouraging words and feedback guys! It is much appreciated!
    Of the five calls:

    1 was the wrong address

    2 asked to take off the list

    1 was listed but in foreclosure and we came close to a deal

    1 was a duplex that will probably turn into a deal. Worth about $165k and his first asking price was $125K, but needs about $8k in work done to it.

    Oh I meant to ask in my other response to this is how did this mix compare with the ~25 calls you would have gotten on the YLs you sent before?

    You said they were mostly tire kickers but were there any good ones?

  • John HornerPro Member
    OP
    Flipper/Rehabber · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    12y

    @Shaun Reilly , honestly I didn't get hardly any good leads out of the 12% on my first campaign.

    Out of roughly 25, I would say:

    30% were mad/confused

    50% curious but had no intention of selling

    30% were interested in selling but wanted above retail or just wanted me to make an offer. aka No Motivation

    So in hindsight maybe I did accomplish my goal, sent out a less expensive mailer and got more motivated sellers and less tire kickers!

    I think it was just frustrating at first because when those YL's hit it was just a flood of calls, and with the Postcards it was almost nothing.

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by John Horner:
    @Shaun Reilly , honestly I didn't get hardly any good leads out of the 12% on my first campaign.

    Out of roughly 25, I would say:

    30% were mad/confused

    50% curious but had no intention of selling

    30% were interested in selling but wanted above retail or just wanted me to make an offer. aka No Motivation

    So in hindsight maybe I did accomplish my goal, sent out a less expensive mailer and got more motivated sellers and less tire kickers!

    I think it was just frustrating at first because when those YL's hit it was just a flood of calls, and with the Postcards it was almost nothing.

    So you got 110% garbage from the YLs? :)

    Seriously though it does sound like you actually did what you wanted. A lot less non-motivated calls and some good leads, and hopefully a deal (The only thing that REALLY matters).

    I've seen a few threads lately that have talked about how "response rate" is a very overhyped metric. Sure it feels all awesome to get all those people calling but if none of them are even warm leads you are just wasting a lot of time talking with non-prospects.

    IMHO you did pretty well with your PCs and had lousy success with the YLs.

  • John HornerPro Member
    OP
    Flipper/Rehabber · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    12y

    hahaha, it sure felt like 110% garbage!

    The last category should have been 20%.

    I think you're exactly right about response rate. There was a guy on a feed who says he staples a $1 bill to every yellow letter and was bragging that he got some obscene response rate. I'd call someone who sent me a $1 bill in the mail, but that doesn't change the fact that I have zero interest in selling my properties!

  • John HornerPro Member
    OP
    Flipper/Rehabber · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    12y

    @Shaun Reilly ,

    maybe we could talk about your campaign?

    What list do you use and mailer format?

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by John Horner:
    @Shaun Reilly ,

    maybe we could talk about your campaign?

    What list do you use and mailer format?

    List is out of state absentee owners.

    Format is a PC that I designed myself. Biggest lesson learned is that I should not do that. :)

    For follow up I have already pre-purchased Yellow PCs and Zip Letters that I do not plan on really messing with. :)

  • John HornerPro Member
    OP
    Flipper/Rehabber · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    12y

    That's funny I had the same experience. After my first YL I followed up with a postcard that I designed and got 2 calls to take them off list.

    Leave it to the pros I guess!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.