Yikes! Check out this yellow letter response...

Yikes! Check out this yellow letter response...

Real Estate Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2013 · 4 posts · 0 votes

So I sent out a bunch of yellow letters last week and I wanted to share one of my responses I got sent to my email address...


General Information

What a creep. You think old people are stupid enough to be tempted by handwritten notes with no last name, "Brandon"? Or that their relatives (hi, me) don't know how to reverse search phone numbers and find your equally sketchy website?

You contact my relative again and we will contact the attorney general and kelo.

Cheers!

I don't think she was very happy with my hand written letter. However, I do think that if she contacted the attorney general and Kelo (news team in our area) that it could have been some good advertising for me!

Maybe I shouldn't have bothered, but I replied to her with an apology and told her that her relative wouldn't receive any more letters from me. I wonder what's going to happen if another investor in our area sends her a letter? After all, the address came straight off the inheartance list!

Does anybody else have any negative responces to yellow letters that they would like to share? Over the years of being married with children, my skin is thick enough that this won't change my technique! :)

0Reply
116 views

Most Popular Reply

Jerry PuckettPro Member
Wholesaler · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
13y
Originally posted by Robert Steele:
But man, ya gotta get better at targeting.

Ah, and there's the rub. Lots of different indicators, but unfortunately, no magic wand to wave over my list to highlight only the people that NEED to sell.

See this reply in the discussion

39 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • -, PA · Member since 2013 · 114 posts · 19 votes
    13y

    Yellow letters do work Brandon but you will only get about 1% to maybe 3% that will actually want to sell their property. Most of the responses will be like the one you got or "how did you get my address" or "I don't have a property for sale". I find that I Buy Houses type postcards are more effective and cheaper.
    Best,
    Joe

  • Seth WilliamsPro Member
    Specialist · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2012 · 582 posts · 353 votes
    13y

    Don't let it get to you. I've gotten these kinds of responses before, along with voicemails and letters filled with threats, cursing, and the like...

    Here's one example (not necessarily "mean", but kind of funny):

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/311/topics/83095-how-do-you-know-when-your-offers-are-low-enough

    I just have to laugh at it - because there's no reason for all the hostility. We're offering people a legitimate service (which many people need, and find very helpful).

    If someone ever sent me a "WE BUY HOUSES" letter and I didn't need their help, I'd handle it the same way I handle all mail solicitations. I just DON'T CALL. It's really not that complicated.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    13y

    I get mailings and emails all the time. It is easier to just through them away. Why people spend their valuable time to write back with threats is beyond me. I don't care to waste my time.

    That said, IS your website "sketchy"? What about your letter, what did it say? Perhaps some tweaks are in order or perhaps this is not one of the examples you ave to deal with in direct marketing.

  • Real Estate Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2010 · 449 posts · 173 votes
    13y

    I think a lot of this sort of attitude comes from a lack of education (and of thinking things through).
    People have these reactions that go something like this:
    "This bad man wrote to my dear old aunt trying to trick her into selling her house that's worth at least 100K for only 60K! I KNEW that these real estate investors were shady characters!"

    Ok, sure, but if a person was to stop and think about that hypothetical 100K for a few minutes...first of all they've got to get the house ready to sell. New carpet and paint at minimum. So they're out 5K at least. Then maybe 5K in overall handy fixes (very plausible if dear old aunt has been living there for a long time). So now we're at 10K. Then they list the property and the best offer they get is 95K, but that's subject to a 2% seller contribution to closing, so now we're down to 93K. A few things come up during the inspection, lets say another 2K. We're at 91K. Then some more seller paid items needed for closing - survey, home warranty and what have you. Lets say that all that stuff adds up to another 2K. So now we're at 89K. Then there are two realtors to pay. 83K. Minus the 10K they put in to get it ready to list, putting us at 73K. But then there's the taxes and insurance they paid during the 6 months or so that they were fixing up or had the property listed, or were in escrow, plus some interest on the note during that period, if it isn't paid off. By the time it's all said and done, it's quite possible that the proceeds of the "100K" house are more like 71K.

    It turns out in this example the 60K is actually a reasonable offer in exchange for avoiding all of the above, especially if they were able to negotiate it up a few K. But it seems like it's easier to be lazy, not think things through, and assume that everyone is out to get them/dear old aunt.

    I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but this uneducated, self-righteous crap really irks me!

    -H

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    13y

    A friend of my mom's had a house from an inheritance that was on road frontage that went commercial.

    The lot in front of their house was just empty land for sale. The buyer was looking at their land as well but didn't want to offer the in the 200's that they wanted because there property would just be used for extra parking lot and not visible from the road. So the buyer ended up buying just the front lot and builds an auto shop right in front of the house !

    Another buyer came by and offered them months later 70,000. Their listing broker told them they are required by law to present all written offers. The seller told their agent to tell the buyer to "go to hell" LOL

    I was telling my mom 2 years ago this property was not worth more than 90,000 to 100,000 at best. The property sold to a new third buyer this year at around 90k. I wasn't involved in this transaction in any way but the point is sellers think all kinds of crazy things and it takes them time to come to reality no matter how hard that is to accept.

  • Deborah BurianPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 412 votes
    13y

    In the process of selling my personal home. Everything Harry M. said is exactly true. If I had it to do over again, I'd start with my local REIA.

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    13y

    Well they say that bad publicity is better than no publicity but in retrospect it might have been a good thing that she didn't call that news channel as having bad publicity in a business that requires good ethics and morals can tarnish any good reputation that you have built and make it more difficult to garnish any more good rep down the road.

    But overall don't feel bad as I've seen that happen to even the best investors out there.

  • Investor · North Richland Hills, TX · Member since 2011 · 789 posts · 403 votes
    13y

    I actually have a contact in my phone as "retarded lady that doesn't like my letters" as she really felt my postcards were taking up too much room in her mailbox...
    So after 3 calls I finally noted her phone # in my cell as "Retarded lady..." so I know how best to handle a call from that number.
    You can't make this stuff up....

  • Specialist · Memphis, TN · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    John. I'm not certain we are to use that word any longer.

  • Real Estate Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2009 · 171 posts · 46 votes
    13y

    John Jackson I would guess this woman has some choice names about the person who keeps trying to low ball her on her house when she's not even selling and he refuses to take no for an answer.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Michael Quarles:
    John. I'm not certain we are to use that word any longer.

    Yes, the new PC term is "mentally challenged" (or something like that).

  • Investor · North Richland Hills, TX · Member since 2011 · 789 posts · 403 votes
    13y

    Michael Quarles I was going to update my contacts so she appeared as "IQ of a fingernail clipping" but I just haven't' had the time...
    Bill W. what was funny, is I offer top dollar.
    She was just upset that the postcard took up too much room in the mailbox...seriously...
    She wanted me to stop mailing them to her, I explained that I wish Tom Thumb would stop mailing me about how they have strawberries on sale..who gives a crap about the strawberries being on sale?!?!?!
    I told her that I could put her on contact with the person that did our mailing, but they were in a factory in India, and probably didn't speak English..
    In a few weeks, I'll be able to refer all angry calls to Michael Quarles as I test drive the yellow letters.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    I will take all of the angry callers.

  • Rental Property Investor · Manchester, NH · Member since 2013 · 447 posts · 81 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Steve Babiak:
    Originally posted by Michael Quarles:
    John. I'm not certain we are to use that word any longer.

    Yes, the new PC term is "mentally challenged" (or something like that).

    Actually, my wife informed me the other day that is now "differently abled." ha.

  • Real Estate Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2013 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Will Barnard:
    I get mailings and emails all the time. It is easier to just through them away. Why people spend their valuable time to write back with threats is beyond me. I don't care to waste my time.

    That said, IS your website "sketchy"? What about your letter, what did it say? Perhaps some tweaks are in order or perhaps this is not one of the examples you ave to deal with in direct marketing.

    Exactly, I never understood why somebody would waste their time just to be nasty! By the way, I didn't get a reply from her after I sent her an email back anyways. My letter was simple and straight to the point...

    Hi, my name is Brandon and I would like to buy your house at "whatever" address. Please call me at "number". Please call, thanks! -Brandon

    So I didn't think it was a bad or rude letter, but maybe I could have asked them to buy their house rather then telling them I would like to buy their house? As far as my website, I have got multiple compliments on my site saying it was professional. Definitely let me know if changes are in order though...

    [REMOVED]

    Thanks for taking the time to reply everybody! Some of the stories you guys have are something else! By the way, I actually got a call last night off one of my letters from a woman who wanted to sell a bunch of her and her husbands properties they use to fix and rent. Might be a good one!

  • Real Estate Professional · Falls Church, VA · Member since 2012 · 238 posts · 83 votes
    13y

    My favorite hostile responder has spent lots of time and some money trying to irk me.

    First, she called on the phone and called me a "malicious cow" and and every other name she could think of because I was snooping around in people's public records, and it wasn't anyone's business if she hadn't paid her property taxes! (Neither my letter nor I said a word about property taxes.)

    Then she sent me a long, hand-written letter about what scum I was and how she was NEVER going to sell her beautiful house in Washington DC. Straight to the trash can after a dramatic stage reading to my husband, who laughed his a** off.

    THEN she sent me a *package* a couple of weeks ago - with several more of my old letters in it! - and it was beautifully hand-addressed with "personal and confidential" on the front. By now I recognized her postmark and handwriting and threw it into recycling without opening (my husband was mad, he wanted to read it).

    AND SHE NEVER TOLD ME HER NAME OR PROPERTY ADDRESS. I figured it out from her postmark though ;-).

  • Real Estate Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2009 · 171 posts · 46 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by John Jackson:

    I told her that I could put her on contact with the person that did our mailing, but they were in a factory in India, and probably didn't speak English..

    Wow. Talk about putting the customer last. Make enough people angry and word will get around in this business.

    Why are you resistant to doing as this lady asks? If your mail is bothering her, it seems the easy and ethical thing to do is to comply with her request.

    Oh, and if you need to stop your Thom Thumb coupons, you can go here: http://www.tomthumb.com/IFL/Grocery/Update-Club-Card#iframetop.

    A huge corporation can do it, but you can't? C'mon.

  • Investor · North Richland Hills, TX · Member since 2011 · 789 posts · 403 votes
    13y

    2 years on a Real Estate forum and I FINALLY learn how to stop the mailers from Tom Thumb!!!
    THANKS Bill W. !!!
    WHEE!!!!!!
    What about Kroger?

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    13y

    Would that work with Joe Blow,Lazy Suzy and Smart Art?

  • Investor · El Dorado Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    After being in the insurance business for 10+ years, I don't even feel rejection or criticism anymore. It is a numbers game and up can't let the "no's" effect you, regardless of how they say no.

    I will say that she had a point about your letter... I am not comfortable with people who only use their first name. If you are ethical and proud of the service you offer, use your full name and transparent contact info.

  • Real Estate Investor · Santa Monica, CA · Member since 2012 · 29 posts · 6 votes
    13y

    I used to only put my first name in my yellow letters but was told by many of my prospects that they would never do business with someone that wouldn't put their last name in a letter. I have since changed.

  • Rental Property Investor · Palm Bay, FL · Member since 2009 · 511 posts · 290 votes
    13y

    Great thread.

    Best call I got was from a police officer saying "this is the police department, do not send any more letters to "such and such" street."
    My partner called the police department and the officer wasn't there, but he asked the officer that answered the phone what law we were breaking, and of course, they couldn't answer.

    With that said, is there any sentence we can put in the letter to avoid getting these phone calls? Maybe "if you want to sell me your house call me and let's talk"?

    I sent out a big mailing last week and spent a lot of this week answering these angry phone calls asking why do you want to buy it, where/how did you get my information, etc etc.

    Talked to some mean people, but also spoke with some very interesting people too, so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

    We just started our yellow letter marketing so I am just getting started with these calls....

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2012 · 113 posts · 26 votes
    13y

    I have had a few "stop sending me letters" calls but that's about it. Most yellow letters "responses" that I have experienced are tire kickers.

  • Investor · Lucas, TX · Member since 2010 · 620 posts · 352 votes
    13y

    When you receive a yellow letter in the mail do you jump at the chance to sell your property at a deep discount to some other REI?

    For kicks I called on one of you yellow letter guys. They offered me $140K for a $180K property that was not distressed and I the owner was not distressed either.

    Yes please Mr.Investor sir. I'd like to give you a big fat chunk of equity for doing nothing. Now where would you like me to bend over? :)

    I've got no problem with offering to help owners get out of their hole. They're distressed or the property is distressed and the REI needs to be compensated for bringing the solution. But man, ya gotta get better at targeting.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.