Asking Experts- How many mailers do you mail per month?

Asking Experts- How many mailers do you mail per month?

Orange, CA · Member since 2012 · 66 posts · 17 votes

Hi everyone,

In my first year of Real Estate Investment, my goal was to get three rehab deals in 2013. My best lead source has been direct mail, so I'm really focusing on getting my marketing to be at a manageable, yet profitable level.

I've been thinking of upping my mailing activity from 1000 to 2000 mail pieces sent per month. I got lucky with 1000 mailers per month and managed to get one good deal after 3 months. But lately its been a little dry. I think I'm not mailing enough, but asking for your opinion. I've decided to bump up to 2000 per month. This 2000 includes mailing previous people I have mailed before. (I want to hit the same group every 6 months until I have more $$ to do more.)

I was happy with getting my one good deal after 3000 mail pieces sent out, but its been another 5000 and I haven't gotten much. (I also blame it on my lists... I was experimenting with different lists and they were duds. Probably wasted 1000-1500 on a bad list... I'm going back to what worked for me before in my first 3000.)

I was hoping for every 5000 mail pieces I send out, I should get 1 deal. Does that sound realistic? How much do you mail and how many deals are you getting out of it?

1Reply
285 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
13y

Good to meet you Lauren,

Here is what I see from a yellow letters only perspective.

People who send less than 500 a month lose drive and focus then stop.

People who mail between 500 and 1500 start learning what they don't know.

People who mail between 1500 and 2500 begin to consistently create opportunity

People between 2500 and 4000 consistently buy property.

People between 4000 and 10,000 a paradigm shift occurs.

People above 10,000 can't mail enough and are frustrated at the lack of list size.

See this reply in the discussion

37 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Northridge, CA · Member since 2012 · 249 posts · 73 votes
    12y

    I send out 2,000 a month, ramping up to 4,000 soon

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    To give an idea of how the numbers work. We dropped 7114 of these for an Investor out of San Diego on May 8th. Although this card is 5.5 x 8.5 he chose to pay the increased postage cost for first class postage to get the PC to his addressees as fast as possible. 94% of the Postcards delivered on the 12th and he reported that he locked 7 contracts by May 16th. That's within 5 days of delivery.

    I should also mention that he knows his numbers as everytime he mails he uses a different number so he can track everything from paper color, to if a logo is better or worse, even if the BBB logo helps... The key is always do what works.

    This Investor is one of those guys who just makes money through real estate marketing and systemization.

    Here is the Postcard. This thing flat our performs.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Michael, from my experience I'd say that the hand written notes in your piece are the tipping point. Nice return on the May 8 mailing.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2012 · 135 posts · 80 votes
    12y

    @Jon Klaus what do you mean by hand written note? Is it a typed letter mailed WITH a small handwritten note as well?

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    Great post.

    Everyone's input is really helpful. I'm learning a lot from all the info.

  • Real Estate Investor · Bedford, TX · Member since 2014 · 83 posts · 31 votes
    12y

    @Simone Flores I have written an article based on my marketing experience. I see you are in much much more competitive market. I would say stick to what's working for you with the direct mail but definitely look to expand online marketing.

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/223/topics/124892-how-i-make-my-marketing-a-success---a-lead-machine

    Hope this helps!

  • Real Estate Investor · Sebastian, FL · Member since 2014 · 812 posts · 432 votes
    12y

    I am surprised nobody else commented on this ... repetition matters. Mailing frequently (every month to 6 weeks) to the same group, rather than to more people should help your response rate significantly.

  • Miami, FL · Member since 2013 · 31 posts · 2 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Joel Owens:
    Right now I am just ramping up my mailers.
    About a thousand this month but increasing at a fast clip next month.

    I am different in that I own a commercial real estate company and as the head broker I am searching for listings to obtain and also off market properties for my buyers and myself. So I am targeting specifically triple net properties and larger apartment buildings because they are what I focus on day in and day out for my clients.

    I have a full time research analyst doing nothing but building my mailing list and research from scratch that is local to me. It is a ton of work sourcing the information as each county in my state has different zoning codes, different assessor search functions they use by county, etc.

    I am using a white envelope mailed every month and we were using labels but switched to printing out from the printer on the envelopes because it's cheaper and I am not limited on a label size with what I can print. The larger label size the less labels you get for the money.

    I bought an HP 8100 only printer that was 150 on sale at Staples for 96 bucks to give to my assistant to use. The XL black cartridge costs 36 bucks and does about 2,500 full size pages. Since we are only printing return mailing address and mailing address on each envelope the copy count should be around 7,000 to 8,000 envelopes or more because of the limited text. The auto tray holds 250 envelopes at a time and we mail merge the lists to auto print. I like print on the envelopes because we can choose a handwritten font for the outside for the addresses.

    I have a local UPS store that will print black and white copies for 4 cents a piece which is cheap that I go to. They wanted 8 cents to print out the envelopes outside addresses so I decided to do those ourselves. I can print the outside addresses for less than 1 cent per envelope. Best price on envelopes I have found is Staples at about 8 dollars for 500. Occasionally they run a sale with coupon to where you can land for 5 bucks and I stock up.

    I checked into bulk mail and first class would go from 46 cents to 36 cents but I would have to pay an annual fee. With the volume I will be doing the fee will be worth it.

    So far I have :

    Letter 4 cents Envelope at 500 for 8 bucks at 2 cents Mail at 46 cents currently but I am working on 36 cents and annual cost factor Print outside of envelope 1 cent (ink cost) Roll sticks so you do not have to lick the envelopes 1 stick at 2.00 does about 2,000 envelopes marginal cost at a fractional of a cent

    So I am at 49 cents per piece mailed and I haven't even factored in savings from getting envelopes for 5 bucks instead of 8 or saving with bulk mail.

    I like the fact I have a full time assistant who only focuses on my business and nothing else. I know many cannot afford such a person but for me and what I am doing it works. Yes the assistant is a cost of mailing but I have other things they do for me as well. I plan to get up to about 4,000 to 5,000 a month.

    Joel, what kind of letters are you sending out as a CRE broker?

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    12y

    I have been revamping my letters down some. The assistant wasn't digging deep enough on some properties and we were doing redundant mailings.

    So for instance I am finding for example 20 varying properties say a different LLC but under the core it's all the same REIT. I get the acquisitions contact from their website now and stay in touch about buying or selling property.

    The letters talk about what the market is doing for that particular property type to give the property owner information about the market. Whether they want to sell that particular property or not they like the info. They might not want to sell but might call you to buy.

  • Bradenton, FL · Member since 2017 · 168 posts · 39 votes
    9y

    Everyone,  I am new to investing and I do not understand this whole concept of mailing campaign to find a deal.  What does that mean?  I know it's a stupid question.  I mean are you looking for distressed owners, foreclosures...etc?

    I am reading here and thought what if you mailed out 2000 letters and 100 replied to you.... then what?

    Also, is there a book I can read about what skills you are using for this type of real estate investing?  

    My thought is to save all of (70-100K) and purchase a 2 bed 1 bath home or 3 bed 1 bath.... and rent it our for 700 - 1000 per month?  That way free and clear money coming in then repeat the process..... am I looking at this wrong?  All of our personal homes, cars...etc are paid for

    I want to put least amount of time into real estate because I already spent my years working hard to make our money work for our freedom now..... does that make sense?

    Thanks all!!

    -Marty

  • Investor · IN · Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    2y
    Quote from @Joel Owens:

    You need to calculate your return on investment. Make sure your message is effective and the list is right.

    Without those 2 things you could mail 10,000 per month and by dumb luck land a deal but that is not how to run and effective business and maximum returns and profits.

    Direct mail 1 to 2% response is standard, 3 is good, and 4 to 5% or higher is doing very well. I said response and not getting a deal from it.

    If you are doing 2,000 a month one percent would be 20 calls a month. 10 percent of the calls turning into deals would be 2 purchases a month.

    You need to figure out the length of time per rehab to get back your investment plus the profit plus the amount of profit average per deal. If your goal is too make an extra 100k in profit a year then you take that divided by the average profit say it's 20,000 and you would need 5 deals a year.

    Remember that mailers have a building effect. Someone you mailed to might not sell today but might decide 5 months down the road to call you. That person also might not be interested in selling at all but by asking in your mailers if they know someone else you get a call.

    10 years later and this is still good advice 

  • Investor · IN · Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    2y
    Quote from @Michael Quarles:

    To give an idea of how the numbers work. We dropped 7114 of these for an Investor out of San Diego on May 8th. Although this card is 5.5 x 8.5 he chose to pay the increased postage cost for first class postage to get the PC to his addressees as fast as possible. 94% of the Postcards delivered on the 12th and he reported that he locked 7 contracts by May 16th. That's within 5 days of delivery.

    I should also mention that he knows his numbers as everytime he mails he uses a different number so he can track everything from paper color, to if a logo is better or worse, even if the BBB logo helps... The key is always do what works.

    This Investor is one of those guys who just makes money through real estate marketing and systemization.

    Here is the Postcard. This thing flat our performs.


     nice

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.