Trying to switch property managers but existing one won't respond

Trying to switch property managers but existing one won't respond

Member since 2019 · 70 posts · 38 votes

I need advice on how to handle the transition my long-term rentals to a new property manager when my current one won't return calls, emails, or texts. 

After a year+ of unreliable management, I finally decided to switch to a new company. The current PM had delayed two months of rent payments with all kinds of excuses (that is when he did reply, which was rare). Per our signed agreement, I gave him 30 days notice of termination of his services via email and asked him to remit all outstanding payments and documentation (he hasn't delivered an owner's statement since June of '24) and assist with the transition to the new PM company.

He responded to one text a couple weeks ago when I asked for an update on the transition saying he hadn't received notice from me or heard from the new PM. The new PM has repeatedly tried to contact him with no response. He's also contacted the tenants with notice of management change, but they say they won't work with him without notice from the current PM to confirm it's legitimate. 

I only have the lease and contact info for one of my two properties. The PM never sent me the other, despite numerous promises to do so, so I don't know the name or contact info of that tenant. 

I'm an out-of-state owner. The properties are in Columbus, Ohio. 

The 30 days of notice ends on Feb 27. I need to get this existing company out of my life. 

Open to all suggestions.

4Reply
109 views

Most Popular Reply

Remington LymanBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
1y
Quote from @Drew Clayton:

I need advice on how to handle the transition my long-term rentals to a new property manager when my current one won't return calls, emails, or texts. 

After a year+ of unreliable management, I finally decided to switch to a new company. The current PM had delayed two months of rent payments with all kinds of excuses (that is when he did reply, which was rare). Per our signed agreement, I gave him 30 days notice of termination of his services via email and asked him to remit all outstanding payments and documentation (he hasn't delivered an owner's statement since June of '24) and assist with the transition to the new PM company.

He responded to one text a couple weeks ago when I asked for an update on the transition saying he hadn't received notice from me or heard from the new PM. The new PM has repeatedly tried to contact him with no response. He's also contacted the tenants with notice of management change, but they say they won't work with him without notice from the current PM to confirm it's legitimate. 

I only have the lease and contact info for one of my two properties. The PM never sent me the other, despite numerous promises to do so, so I don't know the name or contact info of that tenant. 

I'm an out-of-state owner. The properties are in Columbus, Ohio. 

The 30 days of notice ends on Feb 27. I need to get this existing company out of my life. 

Open to all suggestions.


Who is your property manager? I suggest sending a demand letter to the company and filing a complaint with the Ohio Division of Real Estate. 

I'm surprised that this is happening to you in Columbus, Ohio. I've never heard of a licensed Realtor practicing property management treating anyone this way in Columbus.

See this reply in the discussion

39 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Scranton / Pocono Mountains, PA · Member since 2020 · 99 posts · 33 votes
    1y

    Lawyer up. Hopefully your agreement was in writing. 

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    1y

    When I switched I simply gave my new PM the power to get me out of my current PM’s agreement. I made no calls and signed no other paperwork. It was done in a day. 

  • OH · Member since 2022 · 75 posts · 23 votes
    1y

    Who is your current PM?

  • Member since 2019 · 70 posts · 38 votes
    1y
    Quote from @David Spurlock:

    Who is your current PM?


     I'll message you privately

  • Member since 2019 · 70 posts · 38 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Bill B.:

    When I switched I simply gave my new PM the power to get me out of my current PM’s agreement. I made no calls and signed no other paperwork. It was done in a day. 

     @Bill B. can you explain more what you mean by giving your new PM power? My agreement with the old PM outlines the process for terminating the relationship based on written notice. 

    One of the big issues is that the new PM reached out to the tenants with notice of management change, but without confirmation from the current PM they didn't trust that the new guy was legitimate. 

  • Member since 2019 · 70 posts · 38 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Vince Scipione:

    Lawyer up. Hopefully your agreement was in writing. 


     Yes, I have a written agreement, bank records, plus phone records & email and text threads showing he routinely failed the SLAs outlined in the contract. 

  • Realtor · Scranton / Pocono Mountains, PA · Member since 2020 · 99 posts · 33 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Drew Clayton:
    Quote from @Vince Scipione:

    Lawyer up. Hopefully your agreement was in writing. 


     Yes, I have a written agreement, bank records, plus phone records & email and text threads showing he routinely failed the SLAs outlined in the contract. 


     Great! You need to have your attorney send something certified, so that the PM cant claim you didnt have "Due Dilligence" in notifying. it would be terrible for him to bring forth a civil suite for non-payment or a mechanics lien on your business/personal property in the future. Best of Luck! I think you will be fine!

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    1y

    I don’t know what was involved. The new PM simply asked/told the existing PM what they needed to do in order to process the transfer. They were “earning my business” by doing an hour or two of extra work. I signed a form “giving them the power” but I don’t remember if it was even notarized, probably just docusigned. 

    I was suggesting you simply ask the new PM if they’d be willing to do it for you. 

  • Kerlous TadresBusiness Member
    Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Drew Clayton:

    I need advice on how to handle the transition my long-term rentals to a new property manager when my current one won't return calls, emails, or texts. 

    After a year+ of unreliable management, I finally decided to switch to a new company. The current PM had delayed two months of rent payments with all kinds of excuses (that is when he did reply, which was rare). Per our signed agreement, I gave him 30 days notice of termination of his services via email and asked him to remit all outstanding payments and documentation (he hasn't delivered an owner's statement since June of '24) and assist with the transition to the new PM company.

    He responded to one text a couple weeks ago when I asked for an update on the transition saying he hadn't received notice from me or heard from the new PM. The new PM has repeatedly tried to contact him with no response. He's also contacted the tenants with notice of management change, but they say they won't work with him without notice from the current PM to confirm it's legitimate. 

    I only have the lease and contact info for one of my two properties. The PM never sent me the other, despite numerous promises to do so, so I don't know the name or contact info of that tenant. 

    I'm an out-of-state owner. The properties are in Columbus, Ohio. 

    The 30 days of notice ends on Feb 27. I need to get this existing company out of my life. 

    Open to all suggestions.

    I would visit Columbus and consult a real estate attorney. That way you can take your next steps and know what's going on with your assets and prevent future problems from coming out of this.

    Kerlous Tadres | Reafco Real Estate540 Reviews
  • Member since 2019 · 70 posts · 38 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Bill B.:

    I don’t know what was involved. The new PM simply asked/told the existing PM what they needed to do in order to process the transfer. They were “earning my business” by doing an hour or two of extra work. I signed a form “giving them the power” but I don’t remember if it was even notarized, probably just docusigned. 

    I was suggesting you simply ask the new PM if they’d be willing to do it for you. 

    The new PM did initiate the transfer of service and reached out to the tenants, but since the existing PM hasn't confirmed the transfer to them, they're understandably suspicious. 

    I'm wondering if there's a way for me to reach out to them and prove I'm the owner if they've never heard of me.
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Drew Clayton:

    I need advice on how to handle the transition my long-term rentals to a new property manager when my current one won't return calls, emails, or texts. 

    After a year+ of unreliable management, I finally decided to switch to a new company. The current PM had delayed two months of rent payments with all kinds of excuses (that is when he did reply, which was rare). Per our signed agreement, I gave him 30 days notice of termination of his services via email and asked him to remit all outstanding payments and documentation (he hasn't delivered an owner's statement since June of '24) and assist with the transition to the new PM company.

    He responded to one text a couple weeks ago when I asked for an update on the transition saying he hadn't received notice from me or heard from the new PM. The new PM has repeatedly tried to contact him with no response. He's also contacted the tenants with notice of management change, but they say they won't work with him without notice from the current PM to confirm it's legitimate. 

    I only have the lease and contact info for one of my two properties. The PM never sent me the other, despite numerous promises to do so, so I don't know the name or contact info of that tenant. 

    I'm an out-of-state owner. The properties are in Columbus, Ohio. 

    The 30 days of notice ends on Feb 27. I need to get this existing company out of my life. 

    Open to all suggestions.


     No reason to waste your time chasing the former PM around. Notify all tenants of the new management company they are supposed to pay rent to. File an eviction against any tenant who doesn't get with the new program. Simple.

  • Rental Property Investor · Laguna Niguel, CA · Member since 2019 · 175 posts · 116 votes
    1y

    Send a certified letter to the PM so you know (and have proof) it was delivered. Once you know it is delivered, you should also follow up with an email and text. The same way you communicated when you gave them control of the property, should be sufficient to give notice now.

    It sounds like you have not received 2 months of rents, is that accurate? Pretty sure that is grounds for legal action against the PM. If the new PM company is unable to help you navigate this, you might need to look for a different PM. A good PM company should know the ins and outs of situations like these. They should at minimum be able to point you to a resource that can help. 


    People switch PMs all the time so this should not be this complicated. And if this current company is doing this, look into reporting him AND taking legal action asap. I would hope he/she values their reputation and future business more than a couple months rent on two properties.

    Don't despair, there is a path forward out of this. You will laugh about this in a couple years.

    Good luck!

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Drew Clayton:

    I need advice on how to handle the transition my long-term rentals to a new property manager when my current one won't return calls, emails, or texts. 

    After a year+ of unreliable management, I finally decided to switch to a new company. The current PM had delayed two months of rent payments with all kinds of excuses (that is when he did reply, which was rare). Per our signed agreement, I gave him 30 days notice of termination of his services via email and asked him to remit all outstanding payments and documentation (he hasn't delivered an owner's statement since June of '24) and assist with the transition to the new PM company.

    He responded to one text a couple weeks ago when I asked for an update on the transition saying he hadn't received notice from me or heard from the new PM. The new PM has repeatedly tried to contact him with no response. He's also contacted the tenants with notice of management change, but they say they won't work with him without notice from the current PM to confirm it's legitimate. 

    I only have the lease and contact info for one of my two properties. The PM never sent me the other, despite numerous promises to do so, so I don't know the name or contact info of that tenant. 

    I'm an out-of-state owner. The properties are in Columbus, Ohio. 

    The 30 days of notice ends on Feb 27. I need to get this existing company out of my life. 

    Open to all suggestions.


    Who is your property manager? I suggest sending a demand letter to the company and filing a complaint with the Ohio Division of Real Estate. 

    I'm surprised that this is happening to you in Columbus, Ohio. I've never heard of a licensed Realtor practicing property management treating anyone this way in Columbus.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1y

    @Drew Clayton does your old PMC even have a website?

    Are they properly licensed?

    How did you find them?

    Same questions about your new PMC!

    Suggest you give your new PMC copies of your property deeds and a letter from you, the owner. Do NOT put your contact info in the letter! If you do, tenants will contact you when your PMC tells them "no".

    With the deed and PMC contract, the new PMC should be able to convince most of your tenants to start working with them. They may also consider giving them an eviction notice and telling the tenants, they will see them in court if they don't believe the paperwork.

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Drew Clayton:

    I need advice on how to handle the transition my long-term rentals to a new property manager when my current one won't return calls, emails, or texts. 

    After a year+ of unreliable management, I finally decided to switch to a new company. The current PM had delayed two months of rent payments with all kinds of excuses (that is when he did reply, which was rare). Per our signed agreement, I gave him 30 days notice of termination of his services via email and asked him to remit all outstanding payments and documentation (he hasn't delivered an owner's statement since June of '24) and assist with the transition to the new PM company.

    He responded to one text a couple weeks ago when I asked for an update on the transition saying he hadn't received notice from me or heard from the new PM. The new PM has repeatedly tried to contact him with no response. He's also contacted the tenants with notice of management change, but they say they won't work with him without notice from the current PM to confirm it's legitimate. 

    I only have the lease and contact info for one of my two properties. The PM never sent me the other, despite numerous promises to do so, so I don't know the name or contact info of that tenant. 

    I'm an out-of-state owner. The properties are in Columbus, Ohio. 

    The 30 days of notice ends on Feb 27. I need to get this existing company out of my life. 

    Open to all suggestions.

    Hi Drew, happy to refer you over to my investor friendly PMs here in Columbus Ohio - they are the best in the business and super responsive/communicative and have done an amazing job for both me and my clients! In regards to not replying, I would recommend reaching out to the Ohio Division of Real Estate (as they have to be licensed to be a PM).

  • Member since 2019 · 70 posts · 38 votes
    1y
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Drew Clayton:

    I need advice on how to handle the transition my long-term rentals to a new property manager when my current one won't return calls, emails, or texts. 

    After a year+ of unreliable management, I finally decided to switch to a new company. The current PM had delayed two months of rent payments with all kinds of excuses (that is when he did reply, which was rare). Per our signed agreement, I gave him 30 days notice of termination of his services via email and asked him to remit all outstanding payments and documentation (he hasn't delivered an owner's statement since June of '24) and assist with the transition to the new PM company.

    He responded to one text a couple weeks ago when I asked for an update on the transition saying he hadn't received notice from me or heard from the new PM. The new PM has repeatedly tried to contact him with no response. He's also contacted the tenants with notice of management change, but they say they won't work with him without notice from the current PM to confirm it's legitimate. 

    I only have the lease and contact info for one of my two properties. The PM never sent me the other, despite numerous promises to do so, so I don't know the name or contact info of that tenant. 

    I'm an out-of-state owner. The properties are in Columbus, Ohio. 

    The 30 days of notice ends on Feb 27. I need to get this existing company out of my life. 

    Open to all suggestions.


     No reason to waste your time chasing the former PM around. Notify all tenants of the new management company they are supposed to pay rent to. File an eviction against any tenant who doesn't get with the new program. Simple.


     I don't have the contact info for the tenants from one of the houses because the PM never sent me a copy of the lease despite multiple requests. I can send something blind to the address, but how do I prove I'm the owner, especially if I don't know the tenants' names?

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Drew Clayton:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Drew Clayton:

    I need advice on how to handle the transition my long-term rentals to a new property manager when my current one won't return calls, emails, or texts. 

    After a year+ of unreliable management, I finally decided to switch to a new company. The current PM had delayed two months of rent payments with all kinds of excuses (that is when he did reply, which was rare). Per our signed agreement, I gave him 30 days notice of termination of his services via email and asked him to remit all outstanding payments and documentation (he hasn't delivered an owner's statement since June of '24) and assist with the transition to the new PM company.

    He responded to one text a couple weeks ago when I asked for an update on the transition saying he hadn't received notice from me or heard from the new PM. The new PM has repeatedly tried to contact him with no response. He's also contacted the tenants with notice of management change, but they say they won't work with him without notice from the current PM to confirm it's legitimate. 

    I only have the lease and contact info for one of my two properties. The PM never sent me the other, despite numerous promises to do so, so I don't know the name or contact info of that tenant. 

    I'm an out-of-state owner. The properties are in Columbus, Ohio. 

    The 30 days of notice ends on Feb 27. I need to get this existing company out of my life. 

    Open to all suggestions.


     No reason to waste your time chasing the former PM around. Notify all tenants of the new management company they are supposed to pay rent to. File an eviction against any tenant who doesn't get with the new program. Simple.


     I don't have the contact info for the tenants from one of the houses because the PM never sent me a copy of the lease despite multiple requests. I can send something blind to the address, but how do I prove I'm the owner, especially if I don't know the tenants' names?


     Post a notice on the door. Evict them If they don't pay rent. You're over complicating it.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    1y

    Tell the new PM to take over. They can introduce themselves face-to-face with the tenants, change the locks to control the property, get a copy of the lease from the tenant or sign a new one, etc.

    As for the old PM, it sounds like they owe you a copy of the lease and other paperwork (required by law), undelivered rent and security deposit, etc.

    I would compile your documentation and file a complaint with the Ohio real estate commission. They will typically start by contacting the agent, which will get his attention quickly. He will work to resolve the complaint and make you go away rather than face an investigation by the state.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Property Manager · Eastern Region, US · Member since 2023 · 39 posts · 16 votes
    1y

    You can contact the Division of Real Estate and Professional Licensing at 614-466-4100. You can also file a complaint here.

  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    Just have your lawyer contact them- they have no legal right to withhold funds or documents, those are your property. I wouldn't spend another moment of my personal time on it. 

  • Marc RiceBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Drew Clayton:

    I need advice on how to handle the transition my long-term rentals to a new property manager when my current one won't return calls, emails, or texts. 

    After a year+ of unreliable management, I finally decided to switch to a new company. The current PM had delayed two months of rent payments with all kinds of excuses (that is when he did reply, which was rare). Per our signed agreement, I gave him 30 days notice of termination of his services via email and asked him to remit all outstanding payments and documentation (he hasn't delivered an owner's statement since June of '24) and assist with the transition to the new PM company.

    He responded to one text a couple weeks ago when I asked for an update on the transition saying he hadn't received notice from me or heard from the new PM. The new PM has repeatedly tried to contact him with no response. He's also contacted the tenants with notice of management change, but they say they won't work with him without notice from the current PM to confirm it's legitimate. 

    I only have the lease and contact info for one of my two properties. The PM never sent me the other, despite numerous promises to do so, so I don't know the name or contact info of that tenant. 

    I'm an out-of-state owner. The properties are in Columbus, Ohio. 

    The 30 days of notice ends on Feb 27. I need to get this existing company out of my life. 

    Open to all suggestions.


     Very unfortunate. Use an attorney for added pressure. But get your new property manager going asap so not to delay. I'd give your new PM the contact info of the old PM to have them get the keys/leases/tenant contact info and to take over.

    Marc Rice | Investor Friendly Agent at Reafco Tailwind Team574 Reviews
  • Aja SellersPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2024 · 16 posts · 6 votes
    1y

    @Drew Clayton I am so sorry you are going through this and hope you found a way to remediate this situation. I am actually under contract on a property in Columbus, OH and weighing the pros and cons of self-managing vs. property PM because I cannot seem to find a PM that seems reliable and worth the costs. If you don't mind, I would like to send you a message about who your current PM is, who you are switching to, and how you are navigating this situation? Thanks in advance!

  • Member since 2019 · 70 posts · 38 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Aja Sellers:

    @Drew Clayton I am so sorry you are going through this and hope you found a way to remediate this situation. I am actually under contract on a property in Columbus, OH and weighing the pros and cons of self-managing vs. property PM because I cannot seem to find a PM that seems reliable and worth the costs. If you don't mind, I would like to send you a message about who your current PM is, who you are switching to, and how you are navigating this situation? Thanks in advance!

     Thanks, @Aja Sellers. It's a learning experience for certain. In short, the current PM ended up not having a valid broker's license to be operating as a property manager in the first place, so that's on me for not verifying ahead of time. 

    It's been hard to find good property managers—I think that's true anywhere. I have one company for another property that does ok so long as I don't expect rapid responses. What I've observed is that most management companies are operating on slim margins with minimal staff. They only want to do the bare minimum to keep places occupied, collect and distribute payments, and send out their preferred repair people. The customer service side for owners is fairly lax. 

    Feel free to message me.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1y

    @Drew Clayton there's a lot of truth to your points!

    Yes, PMC's operate on slim margins with minimal staff - why do you think that is?

    Where would a PMC get the extra money to hire more staff?

    How can a PMC afford to do more than the bare minimum, when owners only want to pay the bare minimum?

    The naivete in your post is priceless!

    @Nathan Gesner, @James Wise, @James Hamling, @Samuel Eddinger - what do you guys think?

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Drew Sygit:

    @Drew Clayton there's a lot of truth to your points!

    Yes, PMC's operate on slim margins with minimal staff - why do you think that is?

    Where would a PMC get the extra money to hire more staff?

    How can a PMC afford to do more than the bare minimum, when owners only want to pay the bare minimum?

    The naivete in your post is priceless!

    @Nathan Gesner, @James Wise, @James Hamling, @Samuel Eddinger - what do you guys think?


     The small one man operations always end like this. If you're going to hire a Property Manager you need to hire an actual company with infrastructure, systems etc....Owners sometimes opt for the one man operations instead tho because it's cheaper. They always for that mistake in the long run tho. Penny smart, pound foolish.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.