Guidance on switching Property Managers from afar?

Guidance on switching Property Managers from afar?

Member since 2024 · 4 posts · 11 votes

Hello, I am still fairly new to Real Estate Investing having only 1 single family home that I rent through a Property Manager in Ohio. Unfortunately I haven't had a great experience with them going 2 years into renting the property. My issues are simple: a huge lack of communication and timely responses to my inquiries... whether via emails or voicemails. It's a miracle if I ever manage to actually speak to them on the phone. I want to be supportive as it's a small operation but I'm just not getting the type of professional response that I want in a Property Management company. 

That being said, I am considering making the switch to a new Property Management company. I could use some advice.... what does the process look like once I identify a company I want to take over for managing the property? If I do go this route, I will obviously give the current management company notice (after reviewing the contract), but are there challenges to be mindful of when switching Property Management companies from afar? Is a trip to the area required or should I be able to switch Property Managers from afar fairly easily?

Does anyone have any advice on changing to a new Property Manager without having to go back to Ohio and meet in person? Has anyone here done this before?

Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated!

Kindest Regards,

Michael 

4Reply
179 views

Most Popular Reply

Drew SygitBusiness Member
Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
1y

@Michael Kopa First, read your contract for the termination requirements and fees.

Follow what's required.

Try to get everything you can from the current PMC BEFORE letting them know about termination:
- Lease
- Rent Ledger
- Any application info they can legally give you
- Any data about the property

Then start termination process.

Then do an intro email between the old & new PMCs, so you can monitor how the old PMC is cooperating.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Payton HaightBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2021 · 124 posts · 86 votes
    1y

    Hi Michael, it sounds reasonable you are looking in to switching property managers. Lack of communication is extremely frustrating and makes you wonder: how responsive are they to your tenants? As you mentioned, read through your contract with them so you understand where you are at. 

    As far as finding a new property manager, I always prefer to meet people in person, but if you are far away, you should be able to vet property management companies from afar. To be honest, property managers are likely going to prioritize their clients with more properties, but you should be able to get a hold of someone within a reasonable time frame.

    A couple of questions for you: 

    1) Where is your property located in Ohio? 

    2) Have you considered managing the property yourself? It is not for everyone, but once you have the property leased, you should be in good shape if you have a reliable handyman and agent (or some other form of boots on the ground). I self-managed my first few properties in the midwest when I was in California - it was a relatively low time commitment. 

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1y

    @Michael Kopa First, read your contract for the termination requirements and fees.

    Follow what's required.

    Try to get everything you can from the current PMC BEFORE letting them know about termination:
    - Lease
    - Rent Ledger
    - Any application info they can legally give you
    - Any data about the property

    Then start termination process.

    Then do an intro email between the old & new PMCs, so you can monitor how the old PMC is cooperating.

  • Kerlous TadresBusiness Member
    Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Absolutely! Switching property managers can be done remotely and is usually straightforward if handled correctly. First, review your current management agreement for termination notice requirements and any fees. Once you’ve chosen a new company, they can usually coordinate the handoff, including collecting keys, leases, tenant info, and security deposits. A trip isn’t necessary since everything can be done via phone, email, and e-signatures. Just be sure your new manager communicates clearly and has a solid process for onboarding and informing tenants. The biggest challenge is usually delays or a lack of cooperation from the outgoing manager, but a good new PM will handle most of that for you.

    Kerlous Tadres | Reafco Real Estate540 Reviews
  • Real Estate Consultant · Remote · Member since 2025 · 48 posts · 21 votes
    1y

    Hey Michael, it can be very difficult to own this type of real estate remotely. You may run in to these problems again, unless you're lucky enough to find a really good property manager that you can trust. Is there any reason you cannot sell this property and buy something more local to you, so you can check up on it periodically without too much of a hassle? Just an honest question. I don't know your situation. 

  • Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    I always like to meet people in person but the majority of investors that work with me rarely meet me for years. We have phone calls, texts and emails. Every once in a while, we do a virtual call. AS long as you are doing your research and asking the right questions there isn't a need to meet in person.

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Michael Kopa:

    Hello, I am still fairly new to Real Estate Investing having only 1 single family home that I rent through a Property Manager in Ohio. Unfortunately I haven't had a great experience with them going 2 years into renting the property. My issues are simple: a huge lack of communication and timely responses to my inquiries... whether via emails or voicemails. It's a miracle if I ever manage to actually speak to them on the phone. I want to be supportive as it's a small operation but I'm just not getting the type of professional response that I want in a Property Management company. 

    That being said, I am considering making the switch to a new Property Management company. I could use some advice.... what does the process look like once I identify a company I want to take over for managing the property? If I do go this route, I will obviously give the current management company notice (after reviewing the contract), but are there challenges to be mindful of when switching Property Management companies from afar? Is a trip to the area required or should I be able to switch Property Managers from afar fairly easily?

    Does anyone have any advice on changing to a new Property Manager without having to go back to Ohio and meet in person? Has anyone here done this before?

    Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated!

    Kindest Regards,

    Michael 


     Which part of Ohio are you in?

  • David PeschioBusiness Member
    Richmond, VA · Member since 2019 · 358 posts · 181 votes
    1y

    Yes, you can absolutely switch property management companies without having to travel back to Ohio. Many investors successfully manage this process remotely, especially if the new property management company is experienced with out-of-state owners.

    Once you identify a new company, here’s a general outline of the process:

    1. Review Your Current Contract – Check for termination clauses, notice periods, and any penalties or fees.

    2. Notify Your Current Manager in Writing – Provide formal notice according to your contract terms.

    3. Coordinate with Your New Manager – The new company can often assist with the transition, including collecting tenant records, keys, lease agreements, and security deposits.

    4. Communicate with Tenants – Your new manager will typically send an introduction letter to tenants explaining the change.

    5. Ensure a Smooth Handoff – Confirm that the new company gets all necessary documentation and access.

    It’s also wise to ask the new company about their onboarding process, how they’ll handle the transition, and how they maintain communication—especially since that’s been a major issue for you.

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Michael Kopa:

    Hello, I am still fairly new to Real Estate Investing having only 1 single family home that I rent through a Property Manager in Ohio. Unfortunately I haven't had a great experience with them going 2 years into renting the property. My issues are simple: a huge lack of communication and timely responses to my inquiries... whether via emails or voicemails. It's a miracle if I ever manage to actually speak to them on the phone. I want to be supportive as it's a small operation but I'm just not getting the type of professional response that I want in a Property Management company. 

    That being said, I am considering making the switch to a new Property Management company. I could use some advice.... what does the process look like once I identify a company I want to take over for managing the property? If I do go this route, I will obviously give the current management company notice (after reviewing the contract), but are there challenges to be mindful of when switching Property Management companies from afar? Is a trip to the area required or should I be able to switch Property Managers from afar fairly easily?

    Does anyone have any advice on changing to a new Property Manager without having to go back to Ohio and meet in person? Has anyone here done this before?

    Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated!

    Kindest Regards,

    Michael 

    Hi Michael, yes, having a bad property manager can make or break your out-of-state investing journey. I STRONGLY recommend using a property manager who is highly referred by other investors (especially from your realtor). I would look into the terms of your property management agreement with your PM company to see what their terms are for terminating the contract - most PM companies are very flexible and let you do this at anytime. I'm happy to refer you over to some of my PMs (they've done a ton of work for me and my other clients) and they are great with customer service/communication. Happy to make the introduction!
  • Patrick O'SullivanBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2024 · 531 posts · 202 votes
    1y

    Hi Michael,

    Totally understandable that you’re considering a switch—consistent communication is one of the most basic (and important) things a property manager should provide. You’re not being unreasonable.

    The good news is that switching PMs remotely is very doable. Here are a few key steps to help the process go smoothly:

    1. Review Your Current Agreement – As others have said, start by checking your current contract for termination clauses (notice period, fees, etc.). Some PMs require 30 days' notice, so it’s important to be clear on those terms.

    2. Collect Key Docs Before Termination – Try to gather all necessary items before giving notice:

      • Lease agreement(s)

      • Tenant contact info

      • Rent roll/ledger

      • Maintenance records

      • Move-in photos or reports

      • Security deposit accounting

    3. Vet and Onboard New PM Carefully – Once you identify your new property manager, ask detailed questions about their communication practices, reporting, and how they handle onboarding from other PMs. A good one will guide the entire transition process, including notifying the tenant(s).

    4. Remote Coordination is Common – It’s totally normal to switch PMs without traveling. Most reputable PMs are set up for remote owners—e-signatures, virtual meetings, and email communication can handle the entire process.

    5. Ask the New PM to Facilitate the Handoff – The incoming PM can often take the lead on coordinating with the outgoing manager, ensuring they get the keys, files, and tenant contact info. You can also send an introductory email connecting both sides, which helps ensure cooperation.

    It’s smart that you’re addressing this early in your investing journey—it’ll give you more peace of mind and better long-term results.

    Best of luck with the switch!

    get MULTIfamily Property Management4.7220 Reviews
  • Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    I used to be a HUGE Robert Kiyosaki fan and I still LOVE all of his early stuff. One of the many, many, things that has stuck with me is to not hire someone who does not invest in real estate. I just interviewed an account who owns 5 rentals, hates, them and wants out of them ASAP. Why would I ever hire anyone who isn't headed in the same direction as me? There are so many "agents" that become PM's but have no idea how to truly manage the investment.

  • Member since 2024 · 4 posts · 11 votes
    10mo

    Thank you everyone for your replies and inputs! I ended up making the decision to switch to a new PM remotely a few months back and so far so good! They are 10 times better at communicating than my previous PM was and the tenants even ultimately decided to stay in the rental property for another year, which was a huge win that I wasn't originally expecting, so it worked out in the end and I learned a few key things from the experience. Thank you everyone for the inputs!

    • Patrick O'SullivanBusiness Member
      Property Manager · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2024 · 531 posts · 202 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Michael Kopa:

      Thank you everyone for your replies and inputs! I ended up making the decision to switch to a new PM remotely a few months back and so far so good! They are 10 times better at communicating than my previous PM was and the tenants even ultimately decided to stay in the rental property for another year, which was a huge win that I wasn't originally expecting, so it worked out in the end and I learned a few key things from the experience. Thank you everyone for the inputs!

       

      @Michael Kopa really glad to hear things turned around for you. That kind of outcome is always encouraging, especially after making a big decision like switching property managers remotely. It sounds like the improved communication made a meaningful difference, and getting the tenants to renew is a huge plus. It is great that you were able to take some lessons from the process, too. Thanks for closing the loop and sharing your experience. It is helpful for others facing similar situations.

      get MULTIfamily Property Management4.7220 Reviews
  • Real Estate Consultant · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2022 · 463 posts · 253 votes
    10mo

    Hi Michael-

    Great question! You have a single-family rental in Ohio that a property manager runs for you but you are not happy with the level of service they provide and their lack of communication with you and ask about the best way to switch property managers being out-of-state.

    This is not an uncommon experience unfortunately and some property managers have nasty cancellation policies that keep you paying something just to get rid of them. Does not mean you cannot show they did not uphold their end of the contract for leverage to get out. Hopefully, this will not be an issue.

    There are excellent property managers out there. The way to find them is to ask real estate investor groups for that community online or in a forum like this, also an investor friendly Realtor in the area can be helpful, and just look for the same name to come up over and over.

    We have partnerships with the best property managers in the communities in Michigan so our clients have the highest ownership experience possible.

    To Your Success!

  • Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10mo

    My experience is that when a new owner comes on board that I have only ever met a handful of them. The far majority I meet months and even years later. We handle everything through the phone, email, and text. I am open to zoom calls, but owners almost never take advantage of it. Now, that you are experienced with PM's you should know what questions to ask and what the right answers are. You should schedule several phone calls and have questions through email to evaluate their communication and response times.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.