Real Estate Professional · Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2012 · 319 posts · 167 votes
So I saw a post by @Stephen Dillard promoting his company(I'm pretty sure it was in an appropriate forum). I went to his website and to me, it screams 'scam' - it makes me very suspicious.
What is this kind of page called? is it typical to have marketing schtick like this to build a buyers list?
I am interested in Central PA, but anyone who tells me that they have a secret and that I should not ask questions( from the site: "This page is for VIP investors who close with cash, close fast, and don't ask questions" ).
Do all companies build their buyers lists with this type of hyped up nonsense?
I'm not saying the company is a scam - I'm just saying I'm totally turned off by the marketing.
I had the same problem with padeals.com - I want to believe its an opportunity - but the marketing is so intense and over the top, it pushes me away.
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
13y
Originally posted by Stephen Dillard:
Hello
I have not been here in awhile, I have been pretty busy selling discounted houses to investors.
.
.
.
I am closing my first deal on Tuesday coming up so that is great.
Portland, OR · Member since 2011 · 16 posts · 13 votes
14y
Whenever I see a wholesaler with that type of website I know they're garbage.
I always know when there has been a "guru" seminar in my area because 10 of those sites will start popping up over and over on Craigslist. I'll see bandit signs with new phone numbers offering terrible deals.
Of course after a couple of months those sites disappear and so do the bandit signs. Then the "gurus" come back into town and the cycle keeps going.
Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
14y
The "you're stupid if you don't fill out this form" or offensive websites have their purpose. It's just a way to put people in their appropriate box. If you looked harder you'll probably find a website run by the same people which does attract you. Where you did fill out a form.
That's all squeeze pages are for. They get you in their mouse trap. personally I'm amazed at the number of people who fill out those forms. This site is a perfect example of a great mouse trap. Approaching 100000 members.
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
14y
David C. - I've seen this EXACT template used by many wholesalers, and do think, as Robert Hanson said, that some guru is just selling this junk. I wouldn't say that it means that the person is a scammer, but do think the page is a complete turnoff for many reasons.
1) They dont have their contact info posted. You don't know who you're giving your information to. Why would you give someone your info if you don't know who they are.
2) Their use of words is very negative. "This page is for VIP investors who close with cash, close fast, and don't ask questions. They know a slam dunk deal when they see one, and they don't give me a hard time." The only people who don't ask questions are those that are too naive to do so. If by "hard time" they mean someone that does their due diligence,
3) Back to #1, not only do you not have contact info, but you know nothing about the person, the company, their location, where they focus, etc.
If I ever come across pages like this one, I instantly leave. There's a zero chance I'd ever give someone my information without #1 & #3 above, and if someone has the audacity to say what they do in #2 above, they are just lost any chance I'd ever deal with them again.
Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
14y
Taking one of the phrases from this web site and googling it turfs thousands of results. Trying "just finished a Carleton Sheets home study course" turns up 6590 hits on web sites that are essentially identical to this one. I know this hard sell works for some people or else it would get used. But I'm certainly not going to read insults, be given no information and then give someone my e-mail address. I think these web sites are sold to people who want to be wholesalers by high-pressure gurus. It makes me think there's no meat at all to the claim that:
I have discovered a way to secure an endless supply of cheap local houses for pennies on the dollar ... and I'd like to give them to you!
I Personally Control Them All (no third parties).
NO ONE Has Access To These Houses But Me.
All of Them Are Under 50% Of Market Value.
Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
14y
David a distaste for marketing isn't a sign of impending success. You can have the best product or service however if you don't market it you'll be the only one who has it.
A page should do both. Build a buyers list and give a reward for filling out the form. If the form is one sided then you should feel offended.
Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
14y
David C., here's a recent discussion about squeeze pages. My take is that indeed no legitimate business uses these, at least those blind, insulting squeeze pages. Would you really want to do business with a company that tells you nothing about what they're selling unless you give them personal information?
That said, they're very common in this business and in the "real estate education" business, so they must generate some leads. Whether they actually lead to sales is a different question.
Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
14y
@jon
I look at some of these pages like I do face tattoos.
I was amazed the first time I saw someone with their face completely covered in tattoos. I instantly thought that they were stupid. Who would do that. Then I saw another one. And another. Seeing someone with face tatoos didn't make me want to go out a plaster tattoos all over myself however it did teach me a lesson in marketing.
Real Estate Professional · Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2012 · 319 posts · 167 votes
14y
Michael Quarles says:
I agree - it's a bias I have fought most of my career. I recognized it early as a weakness and fight it all the time. I've gotten a lot of business through referrals in my 'real life' - by doing good work, being easy to work with, and taking work that others don't want. Those same clients who only want one little thing now often later have better work or bigger projects later - and I'm their 'guy'. I know that my growth is slow this way - but its been enough for me.
Thank you for taking the time to respond - I know marketing is your business and I respect it - its necessary - it helps businesses grow and helps people find the products and services they want and need.
Flipper/Rehabber · Orlando, FL · Member since 2008 · 263 posts · 147 votes
14y
I agree these agressive templated sqeeze pages are a total turn-off. When I see them I instantly click out. If I am looking for a wholesaler I want someone who I can "build" trust with - not be "instructed" that I must trust them.
However, I have often entered my email address into a squeeze page to get a report/graph/white paper that I wanted access to read. So it's the application and not the process that is in error.
TTFN,
Greg
Specialist · Toms River, NJ · Member since 2011 · 76 posts · 15 votes
13y
Hello
I have not been here in awhile, I have been pretty busy selling discounted houses to investors.
True, my sqeeze page does come from Freedomsoft and Preston Ely, so technically it does come from a guru, but the software itself and what it offers is and has been worth the monthly price tag. I do need to change the sqeeze page so it doesn't look so cheesy but it does allow me to build and store my buyers list.
I am just starting in the business and I do have a few properties under contract, good deals too. I am closing my first deal on Tuesday coming up so that is great.
Thanks for the push on changing my site up a bit, I definitely don't want to come off as a newbie wholesaler with an unattractive site because their are many out there that want to be in the business but not have done any business.
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
13y
Originally posted by Stephen Dillard:
Hello
I have not been here in awhile, I have been pretty busy selling discounted houses to investors.
.
.
.
I am closing my first deal on Tuesday coming up so that is great.
Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
13y
Originally posted by J Scott:
Originally posted by Stephen Dillard:
Hello
I have not been here in awhile, I have been pretty busy selling discounted houses to investors.
.
.
.
I am closing my first deal on Tuesday coming up so that is great.
Specialist · Toms River, NJ · Member since 2011 · 76 posts · 15 votes
13y
You guys really like to pick people apart on here, huh? What i meant was being busy getting my business in order, networking with other people, getting familiar with talking to sellers and cash buyers. I am closing my first deal on Tuesday and my end buyer is really happy with the property that I am selling to him and the homeowner is getting what they were asking so they are happy as well. So I am excited that I discovered wholesaling and there are more deals to come. I come to this site to learn and network, not to get into a back and forth thing, but I saw my site in a headline and I had to defend it. There's nothing you can say to discourage what I am doing. People wholesale everyday and I Plan to do it extremely well to where myself and the people I work with benefit to the fullest.
Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
13y
Originally posted by Stephen Dillard:
You guys really like to pick people apart on here, huh? What i meant was being busy getting my business in order, networking with other people, getting familiar with talking to sellers and cash buyers. I am closing my first deal on Tuesday and my end buyer is really happy with the property that I am selling to him and the homeowner is getting what they were asking so they are happy as well. So I am excited that I discovered wholesaling and there are more deals to come. I come to this site to learn and network, not to get into a back and forth thing, but I saw my site in a headline and I had to defend it. There's nothing you can say to discourage what I am doing. People wholesale everyday and I Plan to do it extremely well to where myself and the people I work with benefit to the fullest.
I don't think anyone was trying to pick you apart. It just sounded odd the way you phrased your original post. Now you've clarified it though. Glad to hear you're making progress and doing well. And congrats on your first deal. It sounds like a win-win-win.
Real Estate Professional · Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2012 · 319 posts · 167 votes
13y
Stephen Dillard as the OP I just want to say I was not really trying to single you out. I tried to phrase the question such that your page was an 'example' - many posters mentioned there were many pages like yours - so please don't take my question personally.
I'm insulted by your page - so what? Has it been effective? I'm not your target market. Are you getting solid buyers from that page? What kind of people are they? How else do you get your buyers?
I suppose in my 'real life' I could make a page that said 'all your programmers are stupid and build horrible systems for you!' and 'I have a secret way to get you the best programming for the best prices - but you must ACT NOW. This is an opportunity for VIP CIO's and IT Directors ONLY!' I'd be selling the same service I sell now which is sold almost completely through referrals - but maybe I'd get additional customers?
Specialist · Toms River, NJ · Member since 2011 · 76 posts · 15 votes
13y
[Attention Landlords and Rehabbers:
If you are a serious investor buying at least one house per quarter for rental or rehab, then you are in the right place right now.
If you are new to investing, broke, just finished a Carleton Sheets home study course, or just flat out don't know what you're doing yet ... go away.
This page is for VIP investors who close with cash, close fast, and don't ask questions. They know a slam dunk deal when they see one, and they don't give me a hard time.
If that's you ... keep reading ...
I have created a quick report revealing how we go about getting these wholesale houses that absolutely no one else will ever know about, and how you can get your hands on them before anyone else.
Just enter your first name and your email address to the right, and you'll instantly gain access to this FREE report.]
The text above IS pretty generic and everyone that uses Freedomsoft starts with the same text. I don't know where it says that all other wholesalers are stupid and offer horrible service but ok. I have directed a lot of people to this site from various means of marketing. I think that the most important thing to buyers are the properties that we as wholesalers bring to the table and what kind of discount they can buy the property at and what kind of profit they can make. We all have different templates to show our properties. Some are great looking, some pretty basic and some I've seen have the same template. I myself work pretty closely with another wholesaler in New Jersey and we both use Freedomsoft and have the same template. He he has been doing this and has been pretty successful for years.
My target buyer is a cash investor who is looking for properties in Philadelphia and New Jersey to either fix and flip or rent. If you go to my website and see a property you are interested in, great, give me a call and we can do business, simple as that. I'm not taking it personally, everyone is entitled to their opinion. You called me out by questioning the validity of my website in public and I'm simply responding. If I have a property you like, by all means, I'll wholesale it to you, whether or not your a programmer or rehabber. Have a good one.
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
13y
Originally posted by Stephen Dillard:
This page is for VIP investors who close with cash, close fast, and don't ask questions.
They know a slam dunk deal when they see one, and they don't give me a hard time.
Ah, you're looking for the investor who is experienced but also doesn't ask questions...
Sorry, but those investors don't exist.
The experienced ones ask a LOT of questions...it's the inexperienced ones who don't ask enough questions. If you consider asking questions to be "giving you a hard time," you're in the wrong business.
Maybe that's not what you "meant," but it's certainly what you said.
Real Estate Professional · Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2012 · 319 posts · 167 votes
13y
Stephen Dillard I apologize if you felt I was calling you out personally. I used your site as an example because I had just seen a posting by you and looked at your site. I tried to ask generically about the purpose of such pages and their success or failure.
Best of luck wholesaling, I hope you continue to make happy sellers and happy buyers.
Specialist · Toms River, NJ · Member since 2011 · 76 posts · 15 votes
13y
Thats what Im looking for "a secret meeting where money is exchanged for property with no one asking the other party anything". As I said before, its a generic template, and Im sure you've seen other people using the same thing. Which is why I should change it up. Im not the first person on here using Freedomsoft. If you want to take that text literally, go right ahead. When I decide to change it is up to me, not to suit you on how my site should look.
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
13y
Originally posted by Stephen Dillard:
If you want to take that text literally, go right ahead. When I decide to change it is up to me, not to suit you on how my site should look.
Stephen -
I only commented on the text from your site because you posted it, and I figured you might be interested in feedback. Remember, I'm your target customer (or at least representative of your target customer, as I'm not in your city). I'm a serious investor who knows what he wants, pays all cash, makes quick decisions, and closes quickly.
While you're certainly entitled to do what you want, when someone in your target customer demographic gives you feedback on how you're operating your business, you should consider responding with "thank you" or "I'll take that into consideration." (even if you don't plan to consider it)
When you respond with, "When I decide to change it is up to me, not to suit you on how my site should look," it basically says, "It doesn't matter what a potential customer might want...they'll get what I give them."
Which just so happens to be consistent with your previous message of, "I want to work with people who don't ask any questions."
Specialist · Toms River, NJ · Member since 2011 · 76 posts · 15 votes
13y
You didn't give me any feedback, all you stated was that I am looking for an investor who asks no questions, per the text on my site. As a real investor, I'm sure whoever you work with expects and should have no problem with you asking questions. If your comments were meant as constructive criticism, then thank you. If not, good luck to the people in your city, you choose to do business with.