Skip to content
House Hacking

User Stats

Votes
Adam Wayne
Votes |
Kitchen and Bathroom Logistics in Rent by Room?

Adam Wayne
Posted Apr 5 2023, 15:38

Hello everyone,

I've been paying off debt and saving money for the past few months, looking to save for a house. I was planning to rent a couple of rooms to help with the mortgage, when someone introduced me to the house hacking community. Since then I've been reading a lot of threads here on the forums and and listening to the podcasts. One thing that I see frequently is people talking about renting three, four, or even five bedrooms in a house! The thing that never gets mentioned is the kitchen and the bathrooms. 

I was hoping to hear some of your thoughts on the matter. I was originally planning on trying to find a 3BR house and rent out two of the rooms, but that will not cover much of the mortgage in my extremely expensive market in the Pacific Northwest. The idea of living with 3, or even 4 other roommates sounds incredibly unappealing, but I'm willing to make sacrifices to get ahead. The only issue is that it seems like the kitchen situation would be a nightmare. I've lived in larger houses when I was in my early 20's and there was never any fridge or cabinet space, issues with dirty dishes, etc. etc. I know that the dishes can be alleviated with good management practices, but that just seems like a lot of random people to be served by one kitchen, and likewise with the bathrooms and shower situation.

I'm grateful for any insight or advice that you all have to offer! Thanks!

Loading replies...